College Basketball 15-16

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Shirley
The Dude

Re: College Basketball 15-16

Post by Shirley »

How did I end up spending 10+ years on a sports message board that doesn't have a single post about the Duke-UNC basketball game?

Pretty entertaining game last night, even if it was sloppy at times. Watching it, at no time did it feel like Duke was going to win, and yet they did. Carolina just has NO killer instinct. This group of players has been missing it their entire careers. They'd get a 6-8 point lead and then relax - over and over. Jacking up threes when they are a bad three-point shooting team and they had Brice Johnson, who Duke couldn't come close to stopping.

Just bad coaching and/or execution. Duke really only played 5 guys the whole game!
Totally Kafkaesque
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I feel like UNC is just a few losses away from solidifying that 1-seed.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Shirley wrote:How did I end up spending 10+ years on a sports message board that doesn't have a single post about the Duke-UNC basketball game?
Maybe the way ESPN jams their games down everyone's throat is a bit of a turnoff. I mean, Louisville-Syracuse is a pretty good matchup, even in a down year for Syracuse, and they spent a couple portions of actual game action in split screen with commentators for Duke-UNC talking about that rivalry.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Roy Wiliiams coached a shitty last ten minutes of that game. Atrocious.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I watched first half of that game. Really weird how Duke was able to stay in it. They looked far inferior athletically, but they hit all their open shots and some that weren't. They only play 6-7 guys, and I haven't seen how hurt Jones is, but it he is really hurt I think they are going to struggle. They are very perimeter dependent and he's arguably their best shooter. And there is no way you should let Allen score 23 with the athletes UNC has. They didn't play him right. For evidence, look at how bad UK made Allen look earlier this year.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Crazy night last night in a season of crazy nights. The tourney is going to be so awesome this year.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You're referring to La Salle getting their 2nd in conference win last night, correct?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

wlu_lax6 wrote:Yeah I have to bet that the view near the hoop is a bigger factor (i.e. shooting a free throw or 3 in Xfinity Center is probably a bit different visually than Hinkle Fieldhouse...let alone an NFL Stadium for the Final Four or some Aircraft carrier in a early season gimmick game)
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I just ran some numbers, and yikes. Since 1999, Duke is 17-6 against UNC in games played outside of Cameron (road and neutral).
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Except Duke lost 7 straight like that between 1992-1999. Still Carolina is 3-11 over its last 14 but I like their chances. They are good enough to get hot and dominate a tournament.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

A_B wrote:I watched first half of that game. Really weird how Duke was able to stay in it. They looked far inferior athletically, but they hit all their open shots and some that weren't. They only play 6-7 guys, and I haven't seen how hurt Jones is, but it he is really hurt I think they are going to struggle. They are very perimeter dependent and he's arguably their best shooter. And there is no way you should let Allen score 23 with the athletes UNC has. They didn't play him right. For evidence, look at how bad UK made Allen look earlier this year.
You saw Allen at his absolute worst though. The UK game was a real outlier for him (that one and the Utah game where he was sick). He's been pretty dominant all year. And he's a pretty damn good athlete. I don't think Carolina has any perimeter defenders - maybe Pinson - with the strength and quickness to check him, because he's so aggressive.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Well. There was a reason I saw him at his worst. That's what I am saying.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That Minnesota win over Maryland last night was pretty awesome for their one senior who has suffered through an 0-13 start to the conference season. His post-game interview nearly had me in tears.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Giff wrote:That Minnesota win over Maryland last night was pretty awesome for their one senior who has suffered through an 0-13 start to the conference season. His post-game interview nearly had me in tears.
Melo is costing himself $$$$ with his play. I know he is playing with a bad hamstring but the most recent board I have seen him on has had him drop all the way to last pick in the first round. Same with Diamond Stone (now out of the top 10).
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The leading scorer for Stanford is Rosco Allen. He could get nominated for the Reggie Cleveland name hall of fame.

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Rosco is 100% white to me.

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

And we can safely say Grayson Allen is a huge dick for certain now, right? Twice in a few games he's blatantly tripped someone.

duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Pure dick move. Don't expect anything less though from Duke.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

wlu_lax6 wrote:Melo is costing himself $$$$ with his play.
Do you know the boosters?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Here are both trips

https://vine.co/v/i6rMl9DWwLe
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Christian Laettner sees no problem here.

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

And again! Though this one is a little more in the gray area, he was called for a flagrant but that was probably for the tug on the arm/jersey, but i am more than willing to pile on!

https://vine.co/v/iHMXlila2wq
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Does that dude know people are recording the games?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I don't know. I don't really see a trip attempt there. Just some lazy D. He got a T for grabbing Barber on a breakaway.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Shirley wrote:I don't know. I don't really see a trip attempt there. Just some lazy D. He got a T for grabbing Barber on a breakaway.
Yeah. But like I said, I can try to find the worst.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

John Calipari has admitted to sleeping with the mother of his latest commit.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

He's been paying one of his players since he was 3!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote:John Calipari has admitted to sleeping with the mother of his latest commit.
It's almost like he's playing a lifelong game of "what does it take to never get another coaching job again ever".
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote:John Calipari has admitted to sleeping with the mother of his latest commit.
I had to go to the googles to figure that one out.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Allen did it again, maybe twice.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don't feel like searching back up-thread, but someone has pointed out his resemblance to Ted Cruz by now, right?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote:I don't feel like searching back up-thread, but someone has pointed out his resemblance to Ted Cruz by now, right?
I did in the NCAA tournament thread. Then I saw like a zillion tweets about it and felt a little less original. It's pretty uncanny though.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You couldn't sculpt a more Duke Duke player if you tried.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Jamie Dixon just took the TCU job.

Man, Big 12 basketball... Kansas State is suddenly in a one-year window with Bruce Weber (that they likely were in already) and Oklahoma State has to make a great hire.

Iowa State could regress, but Prohm is a good coach. Same with Oklahoma -- lose a lot but Lon Kruger isn't going to suddenly have a team that collapses. Tubby's made Tech a tournament team. Conference is loaded.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Brontoburglar wrote:Jamie Dixon just took the TCU job.

Man, Big 12 basketball... Kansas State is suddenly in a one-year window with Bruce Weber (that they likely were in already) and Oklahoma State has to make a great hire.

Iowa State could regress, but Prohm is a good coach. Same with Oklahoma -- lose a lot but Lon Kruger isn't going to suddenly have a team that collapses. Tubby's made Tech a tournament team. Conference is loaded.
Is Bruce Weber staying? Brad Underwood will be going there when there's an opening, I'm sure.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Giff wrote:

Is Bruce Weber staying? Brad Underwood will be going there when there's an opening, I'm sure.
Yeah. And OSU wants Underwood. If the Pokes get him... Yikes. I do wonder if Underwood would wait one more season for the KSU job.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nope.

(And what a weird career path. At 49, he's a career D1 assistant / CC head coach. At 53, he's heading to OK State with an 89-14 record and 3 tourney trips in hand.)
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I don't know the Pitt situation very well, but it seems really odd to go from Pitt to TCU. I get that it's Dixon's alma mater, but he's been at Pitt a long time. I have to assume that he's heard grumblings from a somewhat spoiled fanbase after missing the tourney last year and barely making it this year. I'm guessing he saw that as ingratitude and maybe he was feeling some pressure. Still, it's odd to see a good coach take what is essentially a step down. Yes, I get that TCU is in the Big 12, but come on. That program hasn't been to the tournament in like 20 years and really has no hoops history at all.

Now if alma mater fever is running and high and Pitt were to snag Sean Miller .... nah, not gonna happen, but it would be very interesting. Can you even imagine the coaching power in the league if that were to happen? Miller would have to REALLY love Pittsburgh to even consider it though.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I didn't verify, but I read Dixon was getting a serious raise to go along with the alma mater pull.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

That Northern Iowa coach was probably 30 seconds away from getting a sweet job too. Might still be.