Harper Lee

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Harper Lee

Post by A_B »

Yup. Could have gone without that second book, and walked out undefeated.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Ryan
The Dude

Re: Harper Lee

Post by Ryan »

Who fucking names their ki...god dammit I wasted that one.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Until news of the second book came out I had no idea she was still alive. Still, in 100 years no one will know a second book was released and TKAM will still be a classic.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

WTF?
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

brian wrote:WTF?
Atticus, the popular streetwear company he cofounded in 2001, was named after the iconic character in Mockingbird.
duh
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Slight thread jack... Did I ever tell the Swamp about the time I drove Gregory Peck (and his wife, daughter, and son-in-law) from Denver to Vail? He was nice but mostly slept. My mum about had kittens when I told her. Not a very interesting story, otherwise...

Back on subject, I love To Kill a Mockingbird, so I will always recall that I had a college english prof who disliked it and railed about how TKAM was a lazily-written book, noting as example how Harper Lee had the black alleged rapist killed off when he no longer was needed in the story. The prof loved Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury, and compared TKAM very unfavorably to it.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Well, yeah. Faulkner is way better than Harper Lee. So is Hemingway and Steinbeck and Fitzgerald and any number of authors. Doesn't mean it isn't a great book though.

ETA: Not saying you're saying that, I realize. Just saying that the professor sounds dumb.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

brian wrote:Well, yeah. Faulkner is way better than Harper Lee. So is Hemingway and Steinbeck and Fitzgerald and any number of authors. Doesn't mean it isn't a great book though.

ETA: Not saying you're saying that, I realize. Just saying that the professor sounds dumb.
I don't agree with that, personally. I think his stuff is over-written. You might say it all full of sound and....ah fuck it.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote:
brian wrote:Well, yeah. Faulkner is way better than Harper Lee. So is Hemingway and Steinbeck and Fitzgerald and any number of authors. Doesn't mean it isn't a great book though.

I don't agree with that, personally. I think his stuff is over-written. You might say it all full of sound and....ah fuck it.
I hated Faulkner when it was forced on me in HS and college. I wonder if I would feel different now.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
SportsDoc
Brandt

Post by SportsDoc »

govmentchedda wrote:
A_B wrote:

I hated Faulkner when it was forced on me in HS and college. I wonder if I would feel different now.
Felt that way about Dickins, now I love his stuff. Always loved "To Kill a Mockingbird". But then I have always loved "A Separate Peace", too, and haven't heard of many people who do.
"All men can stand adversity. If you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

govmentchedda wrote:
When I worked for the Park Service I had to spend 2 days a week in the fee booth. Summers were hellish, but the Winter was slow as F. Until the powers that be decided we can only read FDR and FDR-era stuff (I worked at the Springwood and Val-kill (Eleanor's pad)) I reread a lot of the stuff that I hated at first read. Most was quite enjoyable.

Funny, I never had to read Mockingbird. I read it once I started dating my wife and we exchanged favorite books.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

SportsDoc wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:
A_B wrote:

Felt that way about Dickins, now I love his stuff. Always loved "To Kill a Mockingbird". But then I have always loved "A Separate Peace", too, and haven't heard of many people who do.
It was either in grade 9 or 10 when the "advanced" readers in English were assigned "A Separate Peace." Beautiful book, but one that solidified my theory that English teachers hate students and want them to be as miserable as possible.

The ending of that book was gut-wrenching.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."