2016 Presidential Race

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Re: 2016 Presidential Race

Post by Joe K »

Rush2112 wrote:There's also this:

"Snopes has determined the claim that Bernie Sanders supporters yelled "English only" today in Nevada is FALSE. US Uncut has confirmed this by getting interviews with eye witnesses. Right now, every media company is reporting this false claim."

From US Uncut.
Thank you. When I read that story it absolutely reeked of bullshit. The notion that Bernie has uniquely obnoxious/xenophobic/misogynistic supporters is ridiculous. Nice attempt by Hillary to distract from the fact that she has never done a thing for the Democratic base, but anyone who believes that is probably gullible enough to think that Richard Nixon was literally a Yeti.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

You guys can believe what you want to believe but I live here and I think it's plausible. Though. I will say it's not an indictment of Bernie as much as it is the location (essentially a union hall). Bernie supporters are not above reproach. (Nor are Hillary supporters it must be said.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Just doing my bi-weekly check-in to see if you all still think trump def can't win...
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

If Bernie is elected president, it will be the first time ever a jewish family moved into a public housing unit left vacant by a black family.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

howard wrote:If Bernie is elected president, it will be the first time ever a jewish family moved into a public housing unit left vacant by a black family.
Only Howard, Hood, and Lenny Kravitz can get away with repeating that joke.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"Oh, just those three, champ?"

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The King of Toronto can too.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

I got hooked on reading conservative blogs (and comments) over the weekend. God fearing folks are losing their shit over Trump.

http://www.redstate.com/tag/donald-trump/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

tennbengal wrote:Just doing my bi-weekly check-in to see if you all still think trump def can't win...

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Keg wrote:I got hooked on reading conservative blogs (and comments) over the weekend. God fearing folks are losing their shit over Trump.

http://www.redstate.com/tag/donald-trump/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's funny stuff!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Pruitt wrote:
Keg wrote:I got hooked on reading conservative blogs (and comments) over the weekend. God fearing folks are losing their shit over Trump.

That's funny stuff!
You misspelled "legitimately frightening".
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote:Just doing my bi-weekly check-in to see if you all still think trump def can't win...
Once again, I misunderestimated the stupidity of Americans.

*And phpbb spellcheck, as misunderestimated is accepted as a word
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

BSF21 wrote:
Pruitt wrote:

That's funny stuff!
Agreed. The popularity of Trump and Cruz is absolutely depressing to me. I may not agree with all the politics of Sanders or Clinton, but the popularity of the overt xenophobia, racism and misogyny espoused by the Trump and Cruz campaigns is mind-blowing, and leads me to the conclusion that, as a group, we Americans are worse people than I previously thought.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

sancarlos wrote:
BSF21 wrote:
Pruitt wrote:

That's funny stuff!
Agreed. The popularity of Trump and Cruz is absolutely depressing to me. I may not agree with all the politics of Sanders or Clinton, but the popularity of the overt xenophobia, racism and misogyny espoused by the Trump and Cruz campaigns is mind-blowing, and leads me to the conclusion that, as a group, we Americans are worse people than I previously thought.
Unpopular opinion time: Trump scares me far less than Cruz and even Rubio to an extent.

I feel like Trump has to know somewhere deep down that he isn't capable of the job. And should he be nominated and elected, he's the least Republican in the field. He could give a shit about religion which is high on my fears list regarding any other nominee from that side (outside of Kasich). Trump has no requirements to bow to the GOP, and I really feel like 90% of what he says is pandering/he knows it won't get done. No wall is going up. No one is getting deported. I've legitimately looked into what it would take for us to leave the country for Canada or Europe if someone like Ted Cruz is elected. That scares me to my core.

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

BSF21 wrote:
sancarlos wrote:
BSF21 wrote:
Pruitt wrote:

That's funny stuff!
Unpopular opinion time: Trump scares me far less than Cruz and even Rubio to an extent.

I feel like Trump has to know somewhere deep down that he isn't capable of the job. And should he be nominated and elected, he's the least Republican in the field. He could give a shit about religion which is high on my fears list regarding any other nominee from that side (outside of Kasich). Trump has no requirements to bow to the GOP, and I really feel like 90% of what he says is pandering/he knows it won't get done. No wall is going up. No one is getting deported. I've legitimately looked into what it would take for us to leave the country for Canada or Europe if someone like Ted Cruz is elected. That scares me to my core.
Good points. In the unlikely event that we have "President Trump", I would agree that he will likely thumb his nose at a lot of GOP doctrine, will back away from some of his untenable rhetoric, and be his own wildly unpredictable self. Not a best-case scenario by a long shot, but at least we wouldn't be a nation led by creationist, fundamentalist, dogma.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah, I've said here that Cruz scares me a lot more than Trump.

Rubio is scary in that he's legitimately stupid and probably isn't up to the task of being president and runs the risk of being led by the nose by his advisers much like a very recent GOP president. But I don't know if that makes him worse or better than Trump.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The fear of what Trump could cause internationally scares me more than whatever Rubio could do here in four years.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote:The fear of what Trump could cause internationally scares me more than whatever Rubio could do here in four years.
Well, there is that!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I don't believe for a second that Trump really wants to do the work required of a president. He wants to BE president, but not really do the job. President Trump sounds good to him.

He'd immediately delegate out about 80-90% of the work. He'd just show up for the cameras and big-wig meet-and-greets.

The problem is that he'd likely delegate all of the actual work to people he knows from business, and they'd likely get their asses handed to them politically. Or maybe that would actually be good?

I do agree that he's not driven by any particularly strong, crazy ideologies. At the same time, I don't think he'd bat an eye at doing something stupid, like TRYING to deport all Mexicans or outlawing Islam or something equally stupid, yet strong-sounding, to his simple mind.
Totally Kafkaesque
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

I'm amused by Trump threatening to sue Cruz and now Rubio about eligibility to be president. Reaping what the GOP planted in all of the idiotic comments about Obama's citizenship. Had the GOP nipped that in the bud, I guarantee Trump wouldn't be using that against Cruz and Rubio. I'm certain both are eligible, but really hope a lawsuit is filed just so those idiots have to deal with it.

The amusement ends when I see things like Trump's rhetoric about the good old days when you used to be able to beat up protesters:
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... -face.html
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

Why would Rubio be ineligible? Isn't his situation similar to Obama and Trump -- parent(s) born overseas, but he was born here?

The main thing I don't like about Rubio is that he says different things to English and Spanish US media. I have no idea who he is lying to, but he is straight up lying to someone.
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

Keg wrote:Why would Rubio be ineligible? Isn't his situation similar to Obama and Trump -- parent(s) born overseas, but he was born here?

The main thing I don't like about Rubio is that he says different things to English and Spanish US media. I have no idea who he is lying to, but he is straight up lying to someone.
Rubio was born in Miami so he's clearly eligible, I'm just amused that the stupidity the GOP used against Obama is coming back to make them answer stupid questions like Trump's.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Whatever. You gotta love the assumption that someone could get this far in the process without considering the basic eligibility requirements.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

P.D.X. wrote:Whatever. You gotta love the assumption that someone could get this far in the process without considering the basic eligibility requirements.
But Obama did!
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

vandwagon wrote:
Rubio was born in Miami so he's clearly eligible

Well just hang on a second
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Keg wrote:The main thing I don't like about Rubio is that he says different things to English and Spanish US media.

This right here is why we need El Bloombito.

BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Rex wrote:
Keg wrote:The main thing I don't like about Rubio is that he says different things to English and Spanish US media.

This right here is why we need El Bloombito.

I totally forgot about this Twitter account. Thank you.

howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

ElBloombito was dormant for a good while, but it is active again.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

sancarlos wrote:Agreed. The popularity of Trump and Cruz is absolutely depressing to me. I may not agree with all the politics of Sanders or Clinton, but the popularity of the overt xenophobia, racism and misogyny espoused by the Trump and Cruz campaigns is mind-blowing, and leads me to the conclusion that, as a group, we Americans are worse people than I previously thought.
Where is dougekurugby, anyway?
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Felt this was a good (if long) piece about the dysfunction of the GOP using the example of Nevada's very popular centrist Republican governor.

The reporter certainly did his homework. Unlike a lot of stories I've seen about this state leading up to the caucuses I can't find much if anything to quibble with here.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote:Agreed. The popularity of Trump and Cruz is absolutely depressing to me. I may not agree with all the politics of Sanders or Clinton, but the popularity of the overt xenophobia, racism and misogyny espoused by the Trump and Cruz campaigns is mind-blowing, and leads me to the conclusion that, as a group, we Americans are worse people than I previously thought.
Not to mention the constant, blatant lying they are never held accountable for. Even when the lies are called out, people just don't care. I read the comment sections on a couple articles calling out Trump for his speech about General Pershing executing Muslims with bullets dipped in pigs blood, a completely false story. None of the Trump supporters challenged the discrediting of Trump's story, but many said shit like, "I'm still voting for him, because he tells it like it is." WTF, you just read an article calling him out for spreading fake stories! If this was once, I'd let it slide, but he consistently quotes debunked info or flat out makes shit up like the 42% unemployment in NH, or the thousands and thousands of Muslims cheering in NJ, which he personally saw. Beyond the fact that the Pershing story never happened, is that he lauded Pershing for executing Muslims with pigs' blood bullets in vengeance.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Science behind why you want to punch Ted Cruz in the face. Sorry if I found this because someone already posted, but I thought this was funny. A neurologist studied Cruz' expressions to figure out why looking at Cruz made him feel "uneasy."
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

20% of trump's voters per A yougov poll don't believe slaves should have been freed but "just" five percent of Rubio's supporters think that...

Oh.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote:

Kasich Defunding Planned Parenthood
The bill was swiftly denounced by Planned Parenthood President Cecile Richards.

"This legislation will have devastating consequences for women across Ohio," Richards said in a statement. "John Kasich is proudly eliminating care for expectant mothers and newborns; he is leaving thousands without vital STD and HIV testing, slashing a program to fight domestic violence, and cutting access to essential, basic health care."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This hype train is gaining steam...

Also, Glenn Beck's reaction when Trump crashed his pro Cruz speech at Palo Verde High:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Our stone–age ancestors learned to read faces and rapidly tell friend from foe. While we live in a far different environment, we still possess the same stone–age brain as our distant relatives. Like them, we judge instantly. Automatically and more quickly than conscious reflection could ever manage, we weigh whether we like a new face or distrust the person behind it. Our social circuits, which are almost entirely emotional, tell us whether to trust a person or not. Given a million years of practice, our brains are good at this.
Yeah, I read about this before. I think it was in Demon-Haunted World. I've always thought there was real truth to the idea that if someone looks like a dick, they almost always are a dick. It turns out, we can judge books by their covers.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Jerloma wrote:
Our stone–age ancestors learned to read faces and rapidly tell friend from foe. While we live in a far different environment, we still possess the same stone–age brain as our distant relatives. Like them, we judge instantly. Automatically and more quickly than conscious reflection could ever manage, we weigh whether we like a new face or distrust the person behind it. Our social circuits, which are almost entirely emotional, tell us whether to trust a person or not. Given a million years of practice, our brains are good at this.
Yeah, I read about this before. I think it was in Demon-Haunted World. I've always thought there was real truth to the idea that if someone looks like a dick, they almost always are a dick. It turns out, we can judge books by their covers.
And just think you have an uncanny resemblance to the man in your take down video of some pizza place or whatever you were bitching about in that parody of yours. But we always knew you were a dick, too.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Wow, you seem nice.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God