I need a new place to put my money under -- Mattress recs?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Brontoburglar
The Dude

I need a new place to put my money under -- Mattress recs?

Post by Brontoburglar »

Looking for a new mattress. The only thing I know for sure is queen size. Do I go memory foam? Plush? Gel? I know a lot comes down to personal preference, but at the same time I want to be cognizant of cost and durability.

Right now I have a plush mattress and am open to switching. My first thought is memory foam. And has anyone bought a mattress off Amazon (or another site) sight unseen? The free shipping to my house is quite appealing.

Your advice is welcome.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: I need a new place to put my money under -- Mattress rec

Post by govmentchedda »

I'm in the market as well. Need a new king for us, and a twin for the boys room. Thinking of memory foam for us, and cheap for the boys.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Aireloom.com

Great bed. Mine is 13-14 years old, just as firm as when brand new. Good enough for Nancy Reagan in the White House; good enough for me.

They have revamped their product line, focusing on eco-friendly materials. The classic model is the Rip Van Winkle; a dealer will be able to tell you which of their current products is most similar to this champion of beds.

Expensive. Worth it. When divided by the number of years it will last you, a bargain.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

I sold mattresses for 4 years on commission in a mattress-only store. I will NOT tell or recommend to you anything to buy. Anyone who does is lying to you (or at the very least talking out their ass). These things I know to be true:
1) Do NOT buy anything without trying it first. Want memory foam? Fine. Go to a store and lay on it. They now have different softness levels for memory foam now and you need to see how it feels. If you throw a lot of heat while sleeping (sleep warm) then memory foam probably isn't for you. If you like the Tempurpedic brand, the price is no different online or in-store. Most stores will waive delivery cost on these. Have a local deliver. Trust me, those beds are heavy and awkward.
2) If you go coil, don't pay attention to 'coil count'. What matters is the gauge (thickness of the coils). Sterns + Foster uses fewer coils than anyone but the thickness means their beds last longer in general. If a salesman is pushing number of coils, the bed is likely not up to snuff.
3) You will be given three general options in a store: firm, plush, and pillow-top. As a very general rule, the straighter your spine, the firmer the bed you will like. My experience was thin folks with straight backs preferred firm whereas bigger guys such as myself prefer plush or pillow-top. It is possible a certain 'plush' will be softer than certain pillow-tops. Don't assume softness based on type. which brings me to the most important point of all...
4) TRY THE BEDS. It really is an individual thing. Not all of what a salesman may tell you is bullshit, but don't let anyone tell you what feels best to you. If something feels right to you, make a note, come back in a couple days and try again. If you like it, buy it.
5) If you like a bed in a store but want to shop on-line, ask for the specs. Bed companies change the name of beds in different markets. What might be called 'leisure' in Tampa might be called 'luxury' in ST Pete. Same bed. Go to the company's website and match the specs, it will be called something different than what you found in-store.
6) Do NOT buy a bed with less than a 10 yr warranty. Beds with a 3yr warranty will have a great price but don't buy it. On that front, beds wear out. Don't be pissed if a bed with a 10 yr warranty wears out in 7. It happens. Get pissed if it wear out in 3.
7) FWIW, Simmons had the fewest warranty calls in my experience.
8) If you are in a mattress-only store, do not pay more than 30% off sticker. They will play the "let me see if I have a coupon" or "I need to call my DM" game. Go with it. They are authorized to give up to 40% off on every sale but many salesmen would rather let you walk than give more than 30%. Almost all of them will give 30%. Any store such as Sears or Macy's will only charge sticker price as they have already discounted as they're going to.
9) If a mattress-only store gives you 30% off, accept full delivery charge...that's how they get commission.

I'll happily answer any other questions here on via PM. Good luck to all.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

Couple edits of my previous post:
The don't leave paying less than 30% applies to coil beds only. Temurpedic (much like Apple) doesn't allow discounts anywhere. Also I suppose I shouldn't speak for the entire country...it's possible some stores only go down 20%. Point was don't pay sticker.

When I mentioned the bit about 'lying or talking out their ass', I had salespeople in mind not Swampers. There are plenty of fine lesser-known name brands out there and as we've seen in plenty of threads here, Swampers are right more often than not with recs. The purpose of my post was to help navigate through the often intimidating buying process, not stifle discussion.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Rams Fanny wrote:The purpose of my post was to help navigate through the often intimidating buying process, not stifle discussion.
The floodgates are open!

We ended up in a Sleepy's a couple of years ago when our youngest kid was ready for a bed, looking for a Queen mattress so the room could be used as a guest room when family stayed over. I can't remember the details, but the sales guy wouldn't go as low as we wanted, and then balked on something else (it might have been delivery). We ended up walking out, I went home and hopped on sleepys dot com and found the same mattress for a better overall price anyway.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I bought a mattress on the internet this time last year. It's been life-altering good.

Do everything Rams Fanny says. My additional advice: Determine the style (firm, plush, etc.) and manufacturer (Sealy, Simmons, etc.) first. Do that before even thinking about price or anything else. Then go to at least 3-4 different store chains that are dealers for that manufacturer. Make notes of the mattress you see (and try out) and take a picture of the specs. Study them. I went online and found this: http://www.nbbeds.com/simmons/simmons-b ... chart.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ignore the product line names that are given to the mattresses. No two beds at two different stores will ever have the same name, but if they have the same coil count, gauge, etc., they are the same mattress. Basically, the major manufacturers have about 3-4 lines that differ in quality/luxury (think Chevy/Buick/Cadillac) and for each line they have a firm bed, a plush bed, an extra plush bed, and so on. If you compare enough mattresses you'll be able to know exactly what mattress you're looking at from the specs alone. I ended up unsatisfied with what they were selling in the stores--wanted a plush mattress at the Buick level but the price jump from Chevy to Buick was huge. Went online and found the Buick at Chevy prices with free delivery, and pulled the trigger. It arrived about a week late, otherwise great.

The place I went to was us-mattress.com. Obviously this is an area where ymmv, so consider this to be advice on the process as much as a recommendation for the seller.

P.S. and you'll see that for the most part, the numbers online do work out to about 30-40% off the prices you see in stores, so that is definitely the discount you should expect whichever way you go. No haggling on the internet.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

We will be in the market soon. The bed I really like is the Westin Hotel's Heavenly Bed. Anybody know what retail bed is the same, or most approximates it?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

sancarlos wrote:We will be in the market soon. The bed I really like is the Westin Hotel's Heavenly Bed. Anybody know what retail bed is the same, or most approximates it?
I forgot about the heavenly bed, but damn those are nice beds. It's been years since I've stayed at a Westin, but those were fantastic nights of sleep.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Ditto the heavenly bed. Ive always bought from factory stores or some sort of hole in the wall reseller. There are two about a mile from the house. The simmons one (http://www.wosmattressoutlet.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) was still pricey but way less than retail. Worth a look if your close to these:

Contact Us:

Corporate Headquarters
World of Sleep Mattress Outlet
1 Concourse Parkway, Suite 800
Atlanta, Ga. 30328

Outlet Stores
The Simmons Bedding Company operates several outlet stores that sell discontinued models and overstock items directly to the public. While all items are new, they are not backed by the manufacturer's warranty and all sales are final.

Georgia

1335 Chattahoochee Ave
Atlanta, GA 30318
404-355-7606
aworldofsleep@simmons.com

Nevada

605 Glendale Ave., Suite 108
Sparks, NV 89431
775-972-1080
reworldofsleep@simmons.com

Pennsylvania

122 Mill Rd., Suite I-970
Oaks, PA 19456
484-831-5539
mworldofsleep@simmons.com

South Carolina

367 Market St.
Seneca, SC 29678
864-886-9933
seworldofsleep@simmons.com

Texas

1290 Conveyor Lane
Dallas, TX 75247
214-631-3257
daworldofsleep@simmons.com
rass
The Dude

Re: I need a new place to put my money under -- Mattress recs?

Post by rass »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

What a nasty business. And, now I know I'll never buy a Casper.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

That was surprisingly interesting.
Totally Kafkaesque
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I read the article and now am getting mattress ads everywhere.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

P.D.X. wrote:I read the article and now am getting mattress ads everywhere.

I made the mistake of googling mattresses a few weeks back and SAME.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Take a poll of the mattress users. Perhaps a larger sample size would be advantageous in predicting future mattress satisfaction.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Anyone bought from one of those internet-based companies lately? Experience? (I dread googling for it.)
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

THere was talk at some point about how some were super skeevy. Search for leesa in swamp search
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Fuck. This is the thread.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I can't be the only one who doesn't notice any mattress difference beyond a tipping point of firm enough / not firm enough, right?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:17 pm Anyone bought from one of those internet-based companies lately? Experience? (I dread googling for it.)
We got a memory foam one from American Home Furnishings that's fantastic. 700 (iirc) for a queen.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:43 pm I can't be the only one who doesn't notice any mattress difference beyond a tipping point of firm enough / not firm enough, right?
I notice a difference with a firm memory foam compared to a not firm enough spring. And that's it, really.

Still, the greatest bed I've ever slept in, hands down, was the one at my grandfather's house from the 60's-70's. It was an actual spring set (not box spring) with a semi firm, non spring mattress on top.

I have yet to find anything even remotely close to that. And, quite frankly, the best sleep I've ever had since was under the influence of propofol. That was back in 2012. The sleep apnea these days doesn't help either.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So an intern I had from years ago started one of these companies. We needed a mattress and I bought from him. Loving it.
https://www.sleepsaintly.com/. If you buy from him, put a note that I recommended you (my real name)...maybe he will give you a non-standard discount (He also started a Heli skiing company https://heli.life/home, and a dress shoe company https://www.paulevansny.com/).

So here is the real story behind this. There are only a few manufactures. Most direct ship from the manufactures so really you are buying the same bed from a marketing company with subtle differences. I liked how with Sleep Saintly you get the choice of firmness.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I have a Sleep Number bed (although I think that's a stupid name...I wish they still used the Select Comfort name) and I can tell you I will never go back and it's definitely worth the money. We had one for ~10 years then my wife decided she wanted to try a traditional mattress so we did...that lasted 10 months before we bought another Sleep Number.

I think they are great because it is the only bed that can be changed if your preference changes over time. You want it softer or firmer? Just change the setting. You want pillow top or memory foam? Add a layer and you can still adjust the firmness. Their warranty coverage is excellent.

Yes, they are pricey but I believe it is worth it to spend money on something that I will spend 1/3 of my time using.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Yeah I'm thinking brick and mortar on this one. I question the longevity of the foam online ones (casper, Leesa, needle and whatever) since they haven't been around long enough to actually have sufficient reviews on that.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The mattress I like the best is one we got from Ikea a few years ago. It's firm and has held up for a few years.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

P.D.X. wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:59 am Yeah I'm thinking brick and mortar on this one. I question the longevity of the foam online ones (casper, Leesa, needle and whatever) since they haven't been around long enough to actually have sufficient reviews on that.
Longevity, sure, but there’s no way it’ll be comfortable.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Bump, we're probably overdue for a new mattress (we got it shortly after we got married, and holy fuck that will be 20 years ago next year). We're both old and my wife's neck sucks. Any new recommendations?

Also, I forgot how great that post from Ram's Fanny was.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

rass wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:01 am Bump, we're probably overdue for a new mattress (we got it shortly after we got married, and holy fuck that will be 20 years ago next year). We're both old and my wife's neck sucks. Any new recommendations?

Also, I forgot how great that post from Ram's Fanny was.
Still a fan of the one we got from Sleep Saintly. See above.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I reread my post and want to walk back the "we're both old" portion and change that to "we're both getting older" thank you and have a good day.

(and thanks wlulax will click on that link)
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I'm still all in on the Sleep Number. I should probably add I weigh ~280lbs...the Sleep Number keeps my side free of ruts or dips.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

We got a sleep number this Summer. I think I finally have the number dialed in, but I also think I preferred our memory form mattress. I do appreciate the king v. queen mattress size though.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:39 pm
What a nasty business. And, now I know I'll never buy a Casper.
bump
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Just reread RamsFanny's post. Straight spine (me) preferring firm mattresses make a lot of sense.

Coincidentally we just picked up a memory foam from Amerisleep (sp?) just this past weekend. We have it on the floor as we are still awaiting the platform. Totally firm, as I can do a Nestea Plunge onto my side and she won't even notice. We haven't sexed on it yet (kids' weekend).

And as a side note, the only two activities one should do in bed is sex and sleep, right? I'm a real stickler for that, as I won't watch tv or read in bed as I think that's just not the place for it.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:01 am And as a side note, the only two activities one should do in bed is sex and sleep, right? I'm a real stickler for that, as I won't watch tv or read in bed as I think that's just not the place for it.
My wife and each put up a couple pillows behind our backs and read for 30 minutes or so before lights out each night. That's not weird. It's pretty normal.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:10 am
L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:01 am And as a side note, the only two activities one should do in bed is sex and sleep, right? I'm a real stickler for that, as I won't watch tv or read in bed as I think that's just not the place for it.
My wife and each put up a couple pillows behind our backs and read for 30 minutes or so before lights out each night. That's not weird. It's pretty normal.
I can't fall asleep without reading for a bit. Other than nights of sex or grotesque impairment, it's always been that way.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Got a brick and mortar to price match web price on what I think was a listing for a slightly lesser Beautyrest Hybrid mattress. $300 off all told. So ok?

Had plans to go to Sleep Number, but my wife liked the BR and didn’t seem to interested in further shopping.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

So I’ve had a king mattress since day one. Wife had an awesome bedroom set made out of cherry wood that waS a a queen. But it had a footboard and I’m just tall enough to hate footboards. So her parents gifted us a king mattress and it’s been same bed ever since. 20 years this past summer

And we have had sex cause I humblebragged.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The local high school is running a fund-raising mattress sale today.

I am admittedly curious (mostly about the numbers due to the mark-up/margins talk in this thread), but not curious enough to make a two-minute walk.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:01 pm The local high school is running a fund-raising mattress sale today.

I am admittedly curious (mostly about the numbers due to the mark-up/margins talk in this thread), but not curious enough to make a two-minute walk.
Maybe if you slept better you’d have the energy to traipse down there.