CUBE LIFE! Office Etiquette

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: CUBE LIFE! Office Etiquette

Post by mister d »

It is with heavy heart I announce that, after almost 7 years of couch sitting in two different states, I will be returning to the office life and showering in the AM and talking to real people in real life who aren't ringing me up. Your thoughts are requested during this difficult time.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote:It is with heavy heart I announce that, after almost 7 years of couch sitting in two different states, I will be returning to the office life and showering in the AM and talking to real people in real life who aren't ringing me up. Your thoughts are requested during this difficult time.
Devastating.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:It is with heavy heart I announce that, after almost 7 years of couch sitting in two different states, I will be returning to the office life and showering in the AM and talking to real people in real life who aren't ringing me up. Your thoughts are requested during this difficult time.
I don't know how you did it. Working from home is driving me insane. When I do go into the office, I don't know half the people there, due to some turnover and a bunch of new hires. I go in once a week, and had a guy welcome me to the company. I've been there 2 years, he's been there 2 months.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Changing my hair and aging has lead to one Delaware employee who I worked with in person for 3+ years and still work with via email to not recognize me in person anymore when I show up.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I worked from home (mostly) for five years, and loved it. Now, my company's been acquired, and I received my final paycheck last Friday. Pretty soon here, I need to start looking for a job, and when I find one, it will probably force me to go to an office. So, I feel your pain, D.
Last edited by sancarlos on Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Gah! I'm very sorry to read this.
The Sybian wrote:I don't know how you did it. Working from home is driving me insane. When I do go into the office, I don't know half the people there, due to some turnover and a bunch of new hires. I go in once a week, and had a guy welcome me to the company. I've been there 2 years, he's been there 2 months.
I've been telecommuting since 2000, and I wouldn't change it for anything. I feel I'm more productive at home because I don't have people constantly bothering me because they happen to see me. I concentrate on my work much more easily when I'm not distracted by office noises, random co-workers asking me how my weekend was or by others who are having an emergency when in fact it's not. I also save a lot of money this way because I don't drive a car for my daily commute, I don't have to buy a ton of business casual clothing, my company pays for my Internet connection and I rarely leave my home office for lunch.

I'll admit it was hard at first, but once you build the discipline to work during your allotted office hours, it becomes much easier.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I think I could handle working from home 100% of the time, but I'd rather just go into the office 99% of the time instead of mixing it up. I'm too used to my set-up here to really get in a groove at home.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

mister d wrote:Changing my hair and aging has lead to one Delaware employee who I worked with in person for 3+ years and still work with via email to not recognize me in person anymore when I show up.
We used to have one of our IT guys based in Dallas because that was where our colo was located, and I would only see him if I happened to be in the Dallas office (which is probably once every 2-3 years). When they moved the colo to Delaware to share some space with Advance Publications (!!!), he moved to Charlotte. The first time I saw him I thought he was a vendor. He'd completely changed his look, and it took me several seconds to figure out who he was.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Every time I go back to the office for a week (like last week) they try to convince me to move to Saint Louis. I try not to laugh. I think I might not mind working from an office again, but I can't see many scenarios where I'd willingly move to Saint Louis (no offense, it's not horrible there or anything, but it's just not happening).
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

My only qualm with it (and a relatively minor one) is that in a job that doesn't always have set hours, it can be a little tough. But at the same time, that's the line of work that I'm in.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote:Every time I go back to the office for a week (like last week) they try to convince me to move to Saint Louis. I try not to laugh. I think I might not mind working from an office again, but I can't see many scenarios where I'd willingly move to Saint Louis (no offense, it's not horrible there or anything, but it's just not happening).

The union requirements for Midwestern Swampership are ridiculous. You have to play golf with Sabo/AB at least once every 5 years, read Bronto's driving in circles articles, go to SportsDoc when you've got a toothache, call papaduff when you need....whatever it is that duff does.

Stay in Vegas, nothing but paperwork and misery out here.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sabo wrote:Gah! I'm very sorry to read this.
I'm actually not that upset, I'm a bit bored of just being at home and its a pretty cool building in Jersey City, so it definitely has upside. Of course, I was bored at the end of college and I always think a car trip will be fun, so who knows.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote:
Sabo wrote:Gah! I'm very sorry to read this.
I'm actually not that upset, I'm a bit bored of just being at home and its a pretty cool building in Jersey City, so it definitely has upside. Of course, I was bored at the end of college and I always think a car trip will be fun, so who knows.
The lack of a commute is reason number 1A and 1B why I'd rather not work out of an office. If by some crazy sequence of events I did end up having to move to Saint Louis (which in 99 percent of scenarios would probably involve my no longer being married) I'd just live downtown so I could walk or bike to work.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

BSF21 wrote:
brian wrote:Every time I go back to the office for a week (like last week) they try to convince me to move to Saint Louis. I try not to laugh. I think I might not mind working from an office again, but I can't see many scenarios where I'd willingly move to Saint Louis (no offense, it's not horrible there or anything, but it's just not happening).

The union requirements for Midwestern Swampership are ridiculous. You have to play golf with Sabo/AB at least once every 5 years, read Bronto's driving in circles articles, go to SportsDoc when you've got a toothache, call papaduff when you need....whatever it is that duff does.

And making sure drunk Swampers are safely in a cab back to their hotel.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

brian wrote:The lack of a commute is reason number 1A and 1B why I'd rather not work out of an office. If by some crazy sequence of events I did end up having to move to Saint Louis (which in 99 percent of scenarios would probably involve my no longer being married) I'd just live downtown so I could walk or bike to work.
This will be a nice little train ride, so not a big deal. If I had to drive, I imagine I would be looking at this much differently.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote:
BSF21 wrote:

A small price to pay for having gotten out of that Midwestern Swamp union. Though watching MAC title games and US Soccer games in Columbus with Swampers was worth it.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Giff wrote:
BSF21 wrote:

He's going to get another crack at that next week when I'm in Vegas.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Send me a PM and remind me when you're here again. I think it's before I leave for New Orleans weekend after next but I'll be out of town that Saturday through Tuesday (19th through 22nd).
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

BSF21 wrote:
Giff wrote:
BSF21 wrote:

He's going to get another crack at that next week when I'm in Vegas.
Enjoy! Brian's good people.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Working at home is awesome.

Now, I'm off to finish making the beds. Doing household chores while on the clock is a bonus.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Heard on a call today: "I haven't seen Dick in two years."
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Customer asks for data. I warn them that it's going to be a lot of data.
"No, that's OK we need it."
I spend the better part of the afternoon running and sending the data.
"This is a lot of records. How come you didn't tell us how much this was going to be?"

Head. Desk. Head. Desk.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Today I got to question one employee about a coworker's complaint that he whipped out his cock in front of a male and female employee outside a bar following the company holiday party. The complaint was from the male employee, 11 months after the incident, and the female employee told me she thought it was hilarious and wasn't offended at all.

I followed that up by interviewing several people regarding a harassment complaint which included spraying "Liquid Ass" on her desk several times and on a cookie she started to eat. I love writing reports to clients and our legal team using phrases like "Liquid Ass," and quoting the most disgusting misogynistic sexual advances. I try to walk the line of getting in a laugh for the attorneys without the client being able to see through the sarcasm or gratuitous inclusion of extraneous facts. My coworkers miss listening in to my phone conversations.

The other day a sales guy was on the phone with a prospect. Like most of the sales people, he is loud as fuck on the phone. He was discussing health care options we provide. You could tell he was discussing maternity care, then there were a lot of questions like "are you the father? Is he the father? Do you know who the father is, because that can affect medical coverage." It got more confusing and strange, but it turned out the CEO of the prospect company is gay, and he and his husband hired a surrogate to carry a baby for them, and were trying to scheme a way to have the uninsured surrogate covered. If only there was an option for everyone to have medical insurance...
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

More of a work gripe today. Just got off a 90 minute call that could have been resolved with one sentence, and in the end the employee was looking for something so far outside of my sphere, I don't even know who has access to the information she is requesting. A little over an hour into the call, she noted that she is still trying meet the required steps for the mental hospital to release her. Fuck me, I want my 90 minutes back.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Received an e-mail from a co-worker at a different office at 1:45 asking what my group needs to confirm everything is up and running as expected after an upgrade this weekend. An upgrade we didn't know was happening until we received an e-mail at 1:45 asking what my group needs to confirm everything is up and running as expected after an upgrade this weekend. After some pissed off responses and letting them sweat it out a bit, come to find out they need me tonight. Right at the same time our location's Holiday Party. I'm seriously contemplating going radio silent except he'd just e-mail my boss who would either do it himself, but then I'd just feel bad. Fucker.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Not the right thread, but found out that my manager is moving departments and I'm the preferred replacement. I've never managed anyone before and would be responsible for about 20 employees. That part's a little intimidating, but FUCK THIS CUBE, MUTHERFUCKER!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Congratulations!

Too bad this didn't happen a couple of months ago - think of the Christmas gifts your underlings would have had to bring you.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Pruitt wrote:Congratulations!

Too bad this didn't happen a couple of months ago - think of the Christmas gifts your underlings would have had to bring you.
Finally saw my current manager today who confirmed that I'm the recommended candidate and said it was a formality. He was already talking to me about the stuff to look out for from each employee and what not. Sounds like it could be about a 40% pay jump which is nice.

Goodbye 90-minute lunches and leaving at 3:45 everyday, I guess.
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

Giff wrote:Not the right thread, but found out that my manager is moving departments and I'm the preferred replacement. I've never managed anyone before and would be responsible for about 20 employees. That part's a little intimidating, but FUCK THIS CUBE, MUTHERFUCKER!
Is there anyone you want to fire immediately? I went through what you are going through about 3 years ago (granted I only have to supervise 5 people) and I fired a useless lady immediately. As immediately as possible which was still 6 months. Hired a really cool guy in her place and the department runs much smoother.

and I'm still in a cube, we have a fairly open concept.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

degenerasian wrote:
Giff wrote:Not the right thread, but found out that my manager is moving departments and I'm the preferred replacement. I've never managed anyone before and would be responsible for about 20 employees. That part's a little intimidating, but FUCK THIS CUBE, MUTHERFUCKER!
Is there anyone you want to fire immediately? I went through what you are going through about 3 years ago (granted I only have to supervise 5 people) and I fired a useless lady immediately. As immediately as possible which was still 6 months. Hired a really cool guy in her place and the department runs much smoother.

and I'm still in a cube, we have a fairly open concept.
Nope, which is a good thing. Now, I wouldn't have hired some of these people in the first place, but no one that I'd get rid of.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

That time of year when everyone has drastically changed their diet, has to let everyone else know of their new restrictions, and are all grumpy because their new diet is making them miserable.
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

Plus all the farting.

people change their diets and their digestive system completely rebels, and the next thing you know there's a green haze hanging just below the ceiling.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I was washing my hands, as most but not all people do after using the bathroom, when a co-worker walked in and tried both stall doors only to find them locked. He looked at me, said "full house" and walked out. I was a couple of steps behind him, and expected to see him heading downstairs to use the second floor restroom, but instead he apparently sucked it in and walked back to his office and sat down at his desk. I...I don't think I c/would do that?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

He'll just masturbate later.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Does every office feature a group of middle-aged women who pronounce Target like it's French (Tar-ZHAY) as an in-joke?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnny Carwash wrote:Does every office feature a group of middle-aged women who pronounce Target like it's French (Tar-ZHAY) as an in-joke?
Sounds about right.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Johnny Carwash wrote:Does every office feature a group of middle-aged women who pronounce Target like it's French (Tar-ZHAY) as an in-joke?
Definitely yes. They are also the same group that will add an "s" at the end of every store name...e.g. I'm going to "Wal-Marts" or "Krogers" to pick up my prescription.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

GoodKarma wrote:
Definitely yes. They are also the same group that will add an "s" at the end of every store name...e.g. I'm going to "Wal-Marts" or "Krogers" to pick up my prescription.
That's actually a general upper Midwest (especially Michigan) thing and not something most people do on purpose. It's a recognized linguistic quirk. I still catch myself doing it all the time.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

brian wrote:
GoodKarma wrote:
That's actually a general upper Midwest (especially Michigan) thing and not something most people do on purpose. It's a recognized linguistic quirk. I still catch myself doing it all the time.
I heard that all the time growing up on the West Coast. Lucky's. Sav-On's. Sizzler's. None of which actually had an "s" at the end. I think it's more of a generic dipshit thing than anything regional.

Also, the third-favorite activity for this group: gathering around one person's computer to look at internet memes of animals and cackling loud enough to be heard at the opposite end of the office.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Bringing together a couple of former subjects, the older male receptionist who can't keep names straight and sometimes wears a manatee-print belt was observed this morning leaving a bathroom stall, exiting the bathroom without washing his hands, then entering the office and making a beeline for a communal bowl of M&Ms.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.