Swampilocity - Anybody Got Some Travel Advice on Whistler?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Swampilocity - Anybody Got Some Travel Advice on Whistler?

Post by Nonlinear FC »

It's "The Last Spring Break as a Family" according to my hyperbolic (and lovely) wife, as my son goes off to college next year. So we asked him where he'd like to go and he shot back with "Whistler!" in a nanosecond. Dude likes to ski and he's also aware how much we all like hiking and nature and all that crap.

So... I know it's kind of open-ended, but we're looking to spend a few days skiing and a few days exploring. Any leads on hotels, stuff to do, other logistics much appreciated.

We'd be going in mid-March.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Re: Swampilocity - Anybody Got Some Travel Advice on Whistle

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Will you be planning on spending any time in Vancouver as part of the trip?
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yes. Our biggest concern is that we want to do so much, we won't be able to enjoy it if we try to hit too much. That said, we just got back from Boston/Cape Cod and we did a good job of mixing in excursions with relaxing and not trying to over-extend... We travel pretty well as a unit.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

i can definitely help you on the Vancouver side! I've only been up to Whistler 2x, not to ski either time. It's a beautiful drive but could be treacherous in bad weather, give yourself time. :)

hiking/nature/crap -> so take your time driving up from Van - you should stop halfway up in Squamish, maybe to hike The Chief (or take the new gondola up a few km from there, ya cheaters). Northern "suburb" (hardly) of Squamish is Brackendale, Bald Eagle spotting place although it might be too out of season by then (they usually feed on dead salmon there in the fall by the hundreds, or more).
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Nice, thanks Max. We just booked the flight and we're looking at rental cars and lodging.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Whistler is on my list of places to check out this winter when I'm in Redmond. It looks like it's only about a 4 hour drive.
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote:Whistler is on my list of places to check out this winter when I'm in Redmond. It looks like it's only about a 4 hour drive.
More like 5 hrs. And the border crossing (especially coming back to the US), can be problematic.

Whistler is awesome, but I haven't been there in a few years. The skiing can be fantastic, but can also be shit. The mountains are spectacular, but the elevation is low, so it can be wet and rainy at times.

Find a place to stay in the Village, or on the Blackcomb side. Don't stay in Whister Creekside. Too far away from the main village. For sure, get a place with a kitchen. There are two grocery stores in the Village, and its worth it to cook at the condo/room.

The road between Vancouver and Whistler has gotten better (it used be scary as hell), but it still can be treacherous. And the traffic through Vancouver can be rough.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Shirley wrote:Whistler is on my list of places to check out this winter when I'm in Redmond. It looks like it's only about a 4 hour drive.
Shirley.....2 recommendations during your bachelor time
1.) Microsoft Flag Football League---just flat out fun
2.) Microsoft Ski & Snowboard Club
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

wlu_lax6 wrote:
2 more:

1-Hang out with DaveInSeattle1.0
2-Go sailing with DaveInSeattle1.0
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

wlu_lax6 wrote:
Yeah, I've considered signing up for something like a men's soccer team. I haven't played on a team in years. But I'm going to be traveling back here a lot, so I'd miss a lot of games.

And probably more importantly, I think I need to get my right knee scoped again. It feels pretty similar to how it was before my first surgery, about five years ago. Need to get that fixed before ski season!

And yes, DiS, I'll be hitting you up!
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote:
And probably more importantly, I think I need to get my right knee scoped again. It feels pretty similar to how it was before my first surgery, about five years ago. Need to get that fixed before ski season!
Are you going to get it done out here? I can give you some recommendations...
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DaveInSeattle wrote:
Shirley wrote:
Are you going to get it done out here? I can give you some recommendations...
Yeah, that's the plan. There isn't time to do it here before I leave, although I guess I'll be back often enough. I guess I'm still working that out.

Sorry for hijacking!
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Bringing this back up... Here's the itinerary:

Friday, 3/25: Land in Seattle, drive to Vancouver

Friday night thru Monday morning in Vancouver... So, Vancouver ideas for food and activities welcome.

Monday afternoon through Thursday morning in Whistler... Any ideas here? We are planning on skiing at least 2 of those days, depending on conditions.

Thursday night, Burlington, WA... Really just getting over the border and bedding down for the night.

Friday through Sunday morning in Seattle... Again, looking for ideas on food/activities.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote:Bringing this back up... Here's the itinerary:

Friday night thru Monday morning in Vancouver... So, Vancouver ideas for food and activities welcome.

Monday afternoon through Thursday morning in Whistler... Any ideas here? We are planning on skiing at least 2 of those days, depending on conditions.

Thursday night, Burlington, WA... Really just getting over the border and bedding down for the night.

Friday through Sunday morning in Seattle... Again, looking for ideas on food/activities.
in Vancouver--great Chinese food if you are into that

Seattle- Experience Music Project is neat, I always enjoyed hiking around Snoqualamie Falls. Walk from the fish market down the street past the SAM and hit Pioneer Square. Dicks drive in for a hamburger, Capitol Hill, and the U-district are neat too.

April 2nd ---Sounders at home v. Montreal---MLS game with 45-60K.....Do the whole walk to the stadium thing...could be fun.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, I have a buddy that owns a distillery down by the stadium and I was thinking of just going down and soaking up the atmosphere. I think game tickets are too pricey, though.

Thanks for the other ideas! My kids (15-18) don't really eat, but they're going to either find other stuff to do or suck it up, because my wife and I are going to avail ourselves of the local cuisine as much as possible.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC wrote:Bringing this back up... Here's the itinerary:

Vancouver recs:
-Anthropology Museum at UBC. Huge Totem Poles! Very cool spot
-Granville Island
-Stanley Park, including the Aquarium
-Gas Town
-Robson Street

-For Food, theres some great places in Granville Island. And if you want off-the-charts Indian food, and are willing to spend some $$$, Vij's is one of the best places I've eaten at.
If its open, the Blackcomb Glacier is totally awesome. A short hike (about 3 flights of stairs worth), but so worth it.

Seattle recs:
-Pike Place Market. Coolest spot in town. Don't get suckered into standing in line to see the original Starbucks though...its the same as every other Starbucks.
-Seattle Center...if its a clear day, the Space Needle is great.
-Pioneer Square is cool, but a bit seedy.
-Lots of others...PM me if you want more in-depth ideas.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Thanks DiS... Was hoping you'd pop in. I was gonna ask a moderator to change the title to include the VAN and SEA aspect. That wasn't really on the table originally.

A buddy of mine lives in Seattle and owns a distillery (Letterpress) down by the stadium. I'm going to drop by his place Sat (4/2) evening and then walk over to watch the March to the Match later on (they play Montreal @ 7.)

I'm getting really pumped for this trip. Seattle and Vancouver are bucket list cities for me and I'm happy to wrap them around what I hope is some quality skiing.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC wrote: A buddy of mine lives in Seattle and owns a distillery (Letterpress) down by the stadium. I'm going to drop by his place Sat (4/2) evening and then walk over to watch the March to the Match later on (they play Montreal @ 7.)
I'm sure your friend will have lots of suggestions, but there are some great places to eat down in Pioneer Square these days. Some of my faves are:

Fancy/Foodie
-Damn The Weather
-Bar Sajor

Sports Bar-ish
-Elysian Fields
-Quality Athletics

If you want some killer shellfish (Oysters, primarily) there is Taylor Shellfish. The March To The Match goes right by it.

And if you want a "Craft-y Cocktail" spot, that's really cool, there's E Smith Mercantile, which in the front is an unbearably twee/hipster store (Artisan Toothpicks!), but in the back has a great little (~12 seat) bar.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Purchased tickets for the Sounders game. Got a good price to sit up in the 300s. I could've bought cheaper ones but I don't feel like standing for 2 hours.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Maybe you'll get to see them not lose.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC wrote:Purchased tickets for the Sounders game. Got a good price to sit up in the 300s. I could've bought cheaper ones but I don't feel like standing for 2 hours.
I like the upper seats anyway. Its worth it not to have to listen upclose to the chants/songs/drums for 2 hours.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

DaveInSeattle wrote:
Nonlinear FC wrote:Purchased tickets for the Sounders game. Got a good price to sit up in the 300s. I could've bought cheaper ones but I don't feel like standing for 2 hours.
I like the upper seats anyway. Its worth it not to have to listen upclose to the chants/songs/drums for 2 hours.
Or have hippies pass out on you.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DaveInSeattle wrote:

Yeah, my buddy who has partials in the 200s suggested that. Especially since we really don't have a rooting interest. I have no real opinion on Montreal and I have an overall positive vibe about Seattle but I already have a team.

Oh, reminds me. I have a poll question!