The White Shadow

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

howard
Karl Hungus

The White Shadow

Post by howard »

Ken Howard, ‘White Shadow’ Star, SAG-AFTRA President, Dies at 71.

The White Shadow is my favorite, and I think the best tv show about a sports team ever, one of the best shows about high school kids (I know, we all love My So-Called Life.) Helped that they cast actors with real hoops experience, and I had crossed paths with a couple of them playing pickup ball.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Pruitt
The Dude

Re: The White Shadow

Post by Pruitt »

He was also pretty funny on "30 Rock" as well.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'll say Friday Night Lights is better in both categories (shows about sports teams and high schoolers) and just leave it at that.

But still, RIP and all.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

We talked about this in the best sitcoms of all time, but it's REALLY difficult to compare shows from that era to something made after 2000.

I will agree with howard that for its era, and a really good long while after, nothing compared to that show's portrayal of high school kids. It was funny, but it was also real in a way that not many other shows tackling that world achieved. I put it up near Hill Street Blues in terms of groundbreaking.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

brian wrote:I'll say Friday Night Lights is better in both categories (shows about sports teams and high schoolers) and just leave it at that.
Never saw the show, since I am an old man set in my ways, it may well be. I'll stipulate.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

howard wrote:
brian wrote:I'll say Friday Night Lights is better in both categories (shows about sports teams and high schoolers) and just leave it at that.
Never saw the show, since I am an old man set in my ways, it may well be. I'll stipulate.
I honestly didn't end up thinking I'd like it and ended up liking it a great deal. Should check it out sometime if you're hard up for stuff to watch. But it's matter of opinion in either case so not like you're right or wrong. They're shows of very different eras. Like NLFC said, hard to argue it wasn't a ground-breaking show for its time (White Shadow).
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Somehow I just haven't gotten around to FNL, or The Wire, or Luther yet. Winter was too mild.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote:
howard wrote:
I honestly didn't end up thinking I'd like it and ended up liking it a great deal. Should check it out sometime if you're hard up for stuff to watch. But it's matter of opinion in either case so not like you're right or wrong. They're shows of very different eras. Like NLFC said, hard to argue it wasn't a ground-breaking show for its time (White Shadow).

Did you watch the FNL movie? I found it interesting the direction the movie took as opposed to the book it was based on, and that the show actually hewed a lot more to that original tone. I mean, yeah, the movie did an OK job covering the "evil coach in a town that cares WAY too much about football" but it also had a kind of Porky's vibe that I'm sure the author of that book didn't appreciate.

I have no idea if he gave a shit, just saying it was an interesting departure.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.