Re: Movies

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

How did that get greenlit?

Rogan and Franco come up with some weird shit when they're blazed.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DaveInSeattle wrote:We watched Spotlight last night. Damn good movie. Very well done. And infuriating on a million different levels.

All the acting was great, especially Michael Keaton and Mark Ruffalo.

Yeah, my wife is a somewhat lapsed Catholic and it really affected her. I "enjoyed" it for what it was, a well-told exposition of a truly terrible story. I was taken aback by the scope of things. The list of places where scandals had been uncovered was pretty depressing.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote:oh no
Funny, I was just coming here to post that same news.

Working title: Indiana Jones and the Assisted Living Cafeteria of Doom
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Nonlinear FC wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:We watched Spotlight last night. Damn good movie. Very well done. And infuriating on a million different levels.

Yeah, my wife is a somewhat lapsed Catholic and it really affected her. I "enjoyed" it for what it was, a well-told exposition of a truly terrible story. I was taken aback by the scope of things. The list of places where scandals had been uncovered was pretty depressing.
I know. That was brutal how those screens kept flipping at the end with another full page of cities. Even the Boston story is a bit understated. Those 87 priests that they found was actually 250 by the time they made the movie.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Jerloma wrote:
Nonlinear FC wrote:

I know. That was brutal how those screens kept flipping at the end with another full page of cities. Even the Boston story is a bit understated. Those 87 priests that they found was actually 250 by the time they made the movie.
The morning after we watched it, there was a big story in the Sunday Seattle Times detailing one Priest here locally who had been moved multiple to new parishes while the Church was fully aware of his abusive behavior.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote:
Jerloma wrote:
Nonlinear FC wrote:

The morning after we watched it, there was a big story in the Sunday Seattle Times detailing one Priest here locally who had been moved multiple to new parishes while the Church was fully aware of his abusive behavior.
You'd think in the internet age, someone would post something about a pedophile priest letting people know when they are transferred.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

File this one under "Dead-On Casting:" Margot Robbie to play Tonya Harding in biopic
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"Brooklyn" is really good.

And you can score points by watching it with your wives as it really sets up like a women's movie, but is good all the way through.

Fantastic script and that Saoirse Ronan is really good.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The "Superman vs Batman" movie is getting killed by reviewers. Gems such as this:
AV Club review wrote:...all the fun of a protracted custody battle...
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

By age 11, I had concluded the idea of Superman v Batman is absurd. Superman, and give the points, no fucking contest. And I was/am a Batman fan and lukewarm on Superman. The passing decades have provided no reason to change that conclusion.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The whole point of Batman vs. Superman is to make Superman remember that he isn't a god. They played up that part pretty big with Zod in the latest Man of Steel.

I hope to god they use the money quote from The Dark Knight returns, but I have suspicions that they won't.
[+] spoiler
Superman was a great idea when he first came out. But Batman is more like the real world, and that's why he's the main DC character, despite Superman being the de facto Leader of the Justice League. In the Injustice storyline, every hero has an alternate dimension character who is kinda evil and working for Superman who realizes he is all powerful. Except Batman. Batman is doing right in both. He's far and away the most important DC character.
Last edited by A_B on Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The hitfix review was also delightfully brutal.

http://m.hitfix.com/motion-captured/rev ... act-at-all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

And another brutal review:

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/batman ... 1766555948" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I'm sure this has been addressed before but isn't Batman just rich guy with a bunch of cool shit? Without any supernatural powers, don't you cease to be a super hero?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

I don't like superhero shit in general, but the fact that Batman is just a regular person makes him my favorite superhero by default.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

That movie has always looked to me like it was going to be crap. I'm not surprised to find out it is.
Totally Kafkaesque
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Has there eve been a successful cross-over in the history of cinema?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

P.D.X. wrote:Has there eve been a successful cross-over in the history of cinema?
In the current context (even though Battfleck, who seems to be a bright spot in BvS, has never had his own flick) the two Avengers movies would have to count, so yes.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I was home sick today and watched "Snowpiercer" on Netflix. That movie was awesome.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

DaveInSeattle wrote:I was home sick today and watched "Snowpiercer" on Netflix. That movie was awesome.
The graphic novel it is based on is pretty interesting too. The third book in the series just came out.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

wlu_lax6 wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:I was home sick today and watched "Snowpiercer" on Netflix. That movie was awesome.
The graphic novel it is based on is pretty interesting too. The third book in the series just came out.
I just read that graphic novel a couple of weeks ago. It was interesting, but not as good as I had expected. Great idea and setting but the story felt very rushed. It needed to be at least twice as long.

The second one was even worse. I couldn't finish it.
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

wlu_lax6 wrote:
I'm not a graphic novel kind of guy, so I only had some basic information about the story.
[+] spoiler
The line "I know babies taste the best" just killed me. It was perfect, and Chris Evans delivered it perfectly.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote:

That's awesome. Ten am tomorrow. I will probably enjoy it but I'm a sucker for batman. Man of steel was only decent though.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

It was...fine. I agree with some things in those reviews way more than I wish I did. But they are correct. This isn't a good movie. It's just there.
[+] spoiler
GODDANGIT BATMAN DOESN'T KILL PEOPLE WHY CAN'T THE FUCKING MOVIES GET THIS RIGHT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Superman is a dope with no depth, and it's hard to tell if it's Henry Cavill's fault. I don't think it is.

Lex Luthor, eh...meh. He was great at the end but leading up to it he was way off.

BATMAN DOESN'T KILL PEOPLE!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We watched "The Big Short" over the weekend. Good movie, very informative. Got pretty deep though in explaining the whole credit swap scam...the GF kept asking me questions about it, and I kinda hemmed-hawed my way through it. I liked the "breaking the 4th wall" bits trying to explain it...who can't love Margot Robbie in a bubble bath, drinking champagne, while explaining bundling mortgages.
[+] spoiler
I enjoyed seeing the "Mortgage Broker/Bros" at the job fair at the end, applying for jobs at IKEA. Nice touch.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote:I'm getting around to finally seeing Mad Max: Fury Road.

All I can think is "Damn, the welders and mechanics in post apocalyptic America or wherever are awesome."

I can see why this got a best picture nom, but it's not for the acting.
Just watched it and holy shit!

Up until an hour ago, my favourite action movie of all time was The Road Warrior - this may be the new one.

And that's with the spoilers and inflated expectations. Amazing stuff.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Showed my 11 year old "Raiders Of The Last Ark".

She thought it was boring. Clearly, I have failed as a parent.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote:Showed my 11 year old "Raiders Of The Last Ark".

She thought it was boring. Clearly, I have failed as a parent.
But the Nazi's face melts!

What's with these kids today?
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Funny you should mention Raiders of the Lost Ark. I saw it in the movies, so I was about 7 and a half in 1981. A few months ago I sat down AEM (she was 7 and half at the time), and L-Jam4 (he was just short of 5) to watch the original Star Wars. They were freaked out by the first note of John Williams' score, and the jawas had them cowering, but the destruction of Alderaan barely registered.

Moral of the story: kids today are pussies.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote:I'm getting around to finally seeing Mad Max: Fury Road.

All I can think is "Damn, the welders and mechanics in post apocalyptic America or wherever are awesome."
Or present day Cuba.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Damn...pretty good.

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I recognized him, but had to GIS that shit to identify the actress.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

rass wrote:I recognized him, but had to GIS that shit to identify the actress.
I'd recognize Emma anywhere, under any make up.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Things that make wlu_lax6 happy
http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/04/b ... roduction/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

sancarlos wrote:
HAHAHAHA
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Why the fuck is there a big budget dark fantasy version of Snow White? What is wrong with you people?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Rex wrote:Why the fuck is there a big budget dark fantasy version of Snow White? What is wrong with you people?
I think it's a prequel to the big budget dark fantasy version of Snow White.

Watched Ant-Man last night. Paul Rudd is just so damn enjoyable, but I think I could have enjoyed it even without him.