Dave in Seattle 2: Electric Boogaloo

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Dave in Seattle 2: Electric Boogaloo

Post by brian »

Shirley wrote:I'm here now. Got in last night. The two times I visited Seattle before, both this spring, it was bright and sunny. Beautiful.

Now that I'm committed and moved, I show up in August and it's 65 degrees and raining. Welcome!

I'm about to head out to pick up my Indian pizza. Butter chicken pizza. Never heard of such a thing before, but it sounds pretty awesome.
Buy any weed yet?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote:I'm here now. Got in last night. The two times I visited Seattle before, both this spring, it was bright and sunny. Beautiful.

Now that I'm committed and moved, I show up in August and it's 65 degrees and raining. Welcome!

I'm about to head out to pick up my Indian pizza. Butter chicken pizza. Never heard of such a thing before, but it sounds pretty awesome.
Yeah, I was thinking that...the weekend you move here we have epic wind/rain storms and power outages! Never fails...

How was the pizza? Where did you get it from?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote:

Buy any weed yet?
I'm about to head out to pick up my Indian pizza. Butter chicken pizza
If I didn't know who Shirley was, I'd guess yes.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

No weed yet, unfortunately.

The butter chicken pizza was good, but honestly not as good as a regular butter chicken meal with rice and naan. Still, worth trying.

First day in the office today! Assimilation has begun.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Did you wear a flannel over a flannel over a flannel to fit in?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

mister d wrote:Did you wear a flannel over a flannel over a flannel to fit in?
I think that's more in Seattle proper. Over here on the east side, if I really wanted to fit in, I'd be Indian.
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

mister d wrote:Did you wear a flannel over a flannel over a flannel to fit in?
No no no...these days its Patagonia over North Face over flannel....
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote:

Buy any weed yet?
Buy? They give you a bag when you get off the plane now.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DaveInSeattle wrote:
brian wrote:

Buy any weed yet?
I thought maybe you could get it with pizza. Now there's a synergy just waiting to happen.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:
brian wrote:

Buy any weed yet?
I thought maybe you could get it with pizza. Now there's a synergy just waiting to happen.
Amazon is now doing Alcohol deliveries in the area. Maybe they should expand the inventory.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I suspect one day that'll probably happen. Not anytime soon mind you, but once it's legal just about everywhere (15-20 years?).
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

My wife is likely going on a business trip to Seattle In October. I would love to go, but I don't think I can swing it logistically with days off remaining from work, and finding someone to get the kids to/from school. Sort of bummed.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote:My wife is likely going on a business trip to Seattle In October. I would love to go, but I don't think I can swing it logistically with days off remaining from work, and finding someone to get the kids to/from school. Sort of bummed.
So, you're checking to see who in the Swamp will agree to accompany her?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote:
rass wrote:My wife is likely going on a business trip to Seattle In October. I would love to go, but I don't think I can swing it logistically with days off remaining from work, and finding someone to get the kids to/from school. Sort of bummed.
Shirley would be most logical. Or DiS if she's into the threesome thing.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

brian wrote:
sancarlos wrote:
Rules
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote:
sancarlos wrote:
As Shirley can report, my post-divorce craziness days are long behind me. I'm quite happily settled into domestic bliss-dom...
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

Shirley wrote:
brian wrote:
sancarlos wrote:
Rules

eta: couldn't find the long-jump pic.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I'd do it.
Totally Kafkaesque
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Shirley wrote:I'd do it.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yo DiS.

My wife is headed out there this week. She's at the Westin, and will maybe have an evening when she'll have time to explore that general area. Pike Place Market isn't too far away. Worth it? Can she (should she?) walk there? Some place else she should check out? I guess top of her food list would be ice cream, coffee, Mexican, in some order. I'll hang up and listen. Thanks man.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

rass wrote:Yo DiS.

My wife is headed out there this week. She's at the Westin, and will maybe have an evening when s...ex... is... Worth it... I guess top of her ... list would be ... cream...of... Mexican ...d. I'll hang up and listen. Thanks man.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Thanks!

I finally joined FB last week (short story, wanted to keep in tough with a couple of first cousins) and I found the Swamp group and learned there is at least one other Swamper named Dave/id I didn't know about. So "mister d" is even lower on the list of quality D's than previously thought!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

rass wrote:Yo DiS.

My wife is headed out there this week. She's at the Westin, and will maybe have an evening when she'll have time to explore that general area. Pike Place Market isn't too far away. Worth it? Can she (should she?) walk there? Some place else she should check out? I guess top of her food list would be ice cream, coffee, Mexican, in some order. I'll hang up and listen. Thanks man.
Pike Place is absolutely worth it!

Yes, she'll be able to walk there.

The area around the space needle (seattle center) is pretty cool. Will she have a car? The Ballard area is great, but she'll need a car (or Uber/taxi) to get there from the Westin. The Fremont area is cool as well.

Ice Cream: Molly Moon (in Wallingford or University Village shopping area). Full Tilt (in Ballard).
Coffee: Anywhere but Starbucks (Fuck Howard Schulz!). Caffe Vita. Cafe Diva.
Mexican: Not a great town for Mexican...but there's a great place called Oaxaca in Ballard. Some good non-restaurants closer to the Westin: Matt's in the Market, Le Pichet, Virginian Inn, Place Pigalle. If she ventures out further, in Fremont: Whale Wins, Manolin, Revel, Le Petit Cochon. In Ballard: Bastille, Walrus and the Carpenter, Staple and Fancy, Ballard Annex. Or Pioneer Square: Damn The Weather.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'd love to go to Walrus & the Carpenter or any of Erickson's places. And a friend who loves sandwiches (and almost entered the culinary) has Batali's family's place as his #1. Forgetting the name.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Alibi Room is listed as a ten-minute walk from the Westin and I'll vouch for it, which means nothing other than it is about a ten-minute walk from the Westin.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Thanks guys.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

mister d wrote:I'd love to go to Walrus & the Carpenter or any of Erickson's places. And a friend who loves sandwiches (and almost entered the culinary) has Batali's family's place as his #1. Forgetting the name.
Both Walrus&TheCarpenter and The Whale Wins are amazing places (Both Erickson run). And Manolin is just up the street from Whale Wins and its run by former Erickson cooks.

The Batali place is Salumi (http://www.salumicuredmeats.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and its really freaking good. But its only open on Monday from 11-130 for takeout only, and Tues-Friday from 11-330pm. And there's a long line usually.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

DSafetyGuy wrote:Alibi Room is listed as a ten-minute walk from the Westin and I'll vouch for it, which means nothing other than it is about a ten-minute walk from the Westin.
Alibi Room is a pretty cool place (right across from the infamous Gum Wall). Used to be owned by a guy that I sail with.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

"An immersive, reported science fiction saga about surviving the coming mega-quake."

This time told from a Portland perspective instead of Seattle...
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

UPDATE!

Well, we've change our minds. My family is not going to be moving out to this Northwest paradise after all. It turned out to be just too big of a deal with too many risks - wife's career, kids' school, housing, etc. Microsoft is cool with it. Sometime this summer, I'm going to flip my living ratio around. Instead of one week a month back in NC, I'll be primarily in NC and will come out here (I'm in Bellevue right now) one week a month.

It likely means I won't be succeeding Satya as the next CEO, but I think I'm cool with that.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Good for you, Dave. I'm glad it worked out for you.

On my own job search, I've had a couple good opportunities come up that would require me to be out of town more often than not. I struggle with that, because my daughter is just finishing her sophomore year, and I'm not moving her at this point in her life.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote:UPDATE!

Well, we've change our minds. My family is not going to be moving out to this Northwest paradise after all. It turned out to be just too big of a deal with too many risks - wife's career, kids' school, housing, etc. Microsoft is cool with it. Sometime this summer, I'm going to flip my living ratio around. Instead of one week a month back in NC, I'll be primarily in NC and will come out here (I'm in Bellevue right now) one week a month.

It likely means I won't be succeeding Satya as the next CEO, but I think I'm cool with that.
The traffic/rain combo was too much for ya, huh?

That's good for you though...its a big move.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DaveInSeattle wrote:The traffic/rain combo was too much for ya, huh?

Honestly, I haven't had a problem with the weather or traffic at all. I guess I work close enough to my apartment that the traffic isn't an issue. And rainy days have more than been offset by the days I've gone skiing. I like it here. It's just that the Triangle is pretty damn nice as well. I'm reminded of that every time my plane lands and it's a beautiful sunny day.
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Just got back from an epic trip that included the weekend in Seattle (as posted about in another thread.)

We hit Ballard Ave for lunch at a rugby bar called Kangaroos and Kiwis, then went over to a place a few blocks over for the best gelato I've ever had. D'Ambrosia... so good.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC wrote:Just got back from an epic trip that included the weekend in Seattle (as posted about in another thread.)

We hit Ballard Ave for lunch at a rugby bar called Kangaroos and Kiwis, then went over to a place a few blocks over for the best gelato I've ever had. D'Ambrosia... so good.
Kangaroo and Kiwis is a great bar! I've gone there a couple of times since I've been back from Australia to watch Aussie Rules Footy.

You found the best gelato in Seattle (IMO). I love that place.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:The traffic/rain combo was too much for ya, huh?

Honestly, I haven't had a problem with the weather or traffic at all. I guess I work close enough to my apartment that the traffic isn't an issue. And rainy days have more than been offset by the days I've gone skiing. I like it here. It's just that the Triangle is pretty damn nice as well. I'm reminded of that every time my plane lands and it's a beautiful sunny day.
When are you moving back? We should try to get together again before you leave town...