Swamp Travel Guide - Owings Mills, MD

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Swamp Travel Guide - Owings Mills, MD

Post by mister d »

Even the name is annoying. I'm there for training next week ... is there anything decent in the area? Anything at all? Better getting in the car and heading out somewhere?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Re: Swamp Travel Guide - Owings Mills, MD

Post by vandwagon »

I don't know the Owings Mills area at all, but have heard good things about Cilantro, a middle eastern place (http://www.cilantromd.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). And that is the extent of what I know of Owings Mills.

If you feel like driving, there are a bunch of good places in the Hampden neighborhood of Baltimore (http://hampdenmerchants.com/category/me ... afes-bars/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Its about a 25 minute drive from Owings Mills per Google and not terribly difficult to navigate to.

I've been trying to make it to Waverly Brewing (http://waverlybrewingcompany.com/tap-room/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) to try it out. Hours are limited during the week though.

There is another local (and my favorite) brewer tap room close to Waverly, Union Craft Brewing (http://www.unioncraftbrewing.com/taproom/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Double Duckpin is at the top of my list. Again, limited hours.

There is a good restaurant near both of those, Birroteca (http://www.bmorebirroteca.com/home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) that has good food and beers. Sit in the bar area, I prefer that over the dining room.

There are a ton of good places around Baltimore though, I'm sure some of the other local folks will have suggestions. I'm sure some know Owings Mills much better too.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Isn't that where the Baltimore Ravens practice facility is? Be sure to wear your "Ray Lewis is a double murderer" T-shirt.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Watching BMore fans defend Ray-Ray on Twitter is hilarious.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Union Craft looked good but its closed Tuesdays. There seems to be a very good chance I end up in my room that night, which I usually try to avoid at all costs.

Ever hear of this place: http://www.market-tavern.com/small-plates/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like a drive but ... not sure what else I'd be doing. How's traffic there?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

I have not heard of that place, but I don't get out to Sykesville ever either. Looks good. Shouldn't be too much traffic along that route.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

This is the extent of what I know of Owings Mills. Wall $treet Week, bitches!

Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

mister d wrote:Union Craft looked good but its closed Tuesdays. There seems to be a very good chance I end up in my room that night, which I usually try to avoid at all costs.

Ever hear of this place: http://www.market-tavern.com/small-plates/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like a drive but ... not sure what else I'd be doing. How's traffic there?
Skip syksville...if you are going to drive, go to Hampden or all the way downtown to the harbor/little italy/federal hill/ or Canton

Union Craft is owned by a friend of mine from High School. Investment banker turned brewer. His wife and I hung out together at the State Science Fair (I was in 8th grade, she was in 7th---"Thin Layer Chromatography of Various Colored Jelly Beans"...biggest trophy I ever got).

Another good brewery from B-more is Heavy Seas (http://www.hsbeer.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). They are a drive from Owings Mills along the beltway. Advantage is you will be reverse commuting if you decide to head into Baltimore (and you will be right near the metro to the city).

The Brewers Art downtown is not bad either.
http://www.thebrewersart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So I grew up in Reisterstown (next town North).
Harryman House is not a bad place to eat.
http://www.harrymanhouse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have heard good stuff about Linwoods

If you really want a owning mills/Reisterstown experience...Tom Mitchell's Golf Gridiron. Tom Mitchell was a Baltimore Colt who opened up 54 holes of mini golf (The Monster in the Pines has par 5 and 6 holes, and the Championship Course requires chipping including a shot over a wall and another you have to redirect it off a wall...good times) and batting cages, and 9 hole course (18 holes because each green has 2 tee boxes)...combine that up with a nice meal at the Harrymanhouse and you have a nice evening. Been kicked off the course and driving range more times than I can count.

Yes the Ravens Training Facility is in Owings Mills (and same with the former Colts/Baltimore Stars/now Stevenson Athletics facility)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Good example of (excuse for) why I'm such a whiny baby about all the craft beer stuff: I emailed Union Craft via their website to see where I could find their double in the Owings Mills area and if they had any bar recs and ended up having a nice little back and forth that ended with the guy telling me to let him know if I don't find it the first day I'm there because he'll meet up with me to drop some off the second day. I don't think I could actually do that, but its awesome that he offered. And his rec was the place I linked above in Sykesville so that'll probably be my dinner/drink stop.
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

mister d wrote:Good example of (excuse for) why I'm such a whiny baby about all the craft beer stuff: I emailed Union Craft via their website to see where I could find their double in the Owings Mills area and if they had any bar recs and ended up having a nice little back and forth that ended with the guy telling me to let him know if I don't find it the first day I'm there because he'll meet up with me to drop some off the second day. I don't think I could actually do that, but its awesome that he offered. And his rec was the place I linked above in Sykesville so that'll probably be my dinner/drink stop.
That's awesome and gives me another reason to love their beers. One of the brew masters has a kid at my son's school. I haven't run into him to act like a moron telling him how much I love their beer, but have seen him around.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:Good example of (excuse for) why I'm such a whiny baby about all the craft beer stuff: I emailed Union Craft via their website to see where I could find their double in the Owings Mills area and if they had any bar recs and ended up having a nice little back and forth that ended with the guy telling me to let him know if I don't find it the first day I'm there because he'll meet up with me to drop some off the second day. I don't think I could actually do that, but its awesome that he offered. And his rec was the place I linked above in Sykesville so that'll probably be my dinner/drink stop.
Wow, that is great. Especially since he knows you are from out of town and not going to be a customer.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Another good spot that's a lot closer to you is Mt. Washington. The Mt. Washington Tavern is a bit of a local institution. And the Nickel Tap[strike]room[/strike]house has a funky (in a good way) food menu and a shitload of beers on tap and by the bottle. Like, random stuff that you probably haven't heard of, even with lots of craft beer knowledge.

http://mtwashingtontavern.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nickeltaphouse.com/home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Nonlinear FC on Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ooo, Nickel does have a nice (and local) list. Another good option.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

mister d wrote:Ooo, Nickel does have a nice (and local) list. Another good option.

Nickel is same restaurant group Birroteca that vandwagon mentioned.

Mt. Washington is a great place to get Oysters if that your thing. Parking can be tough down in Mt. Washington
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I live in Owings Mills!
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

mister d wrote:Ooo, Nickel does have a nice (and local) list. Another good option.
Ethel's Creole Kitchen has delicious food also. They are in Mt. Washington also. There are no good restaurants in Owings Mills.

http://ethelscreolekitchen.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

I went to the Nickel Tap House last night for the first time. Great beer list and delicious oysters. The food was good, but nothing that really excited me. I went with the steak frites, but should have gone with a burger. They looked really good. They offered valet parking for $6, but since it was Sunday and the street parking was free and plentiful, the poor valet didn't park one car during the whole time we were there.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

It's ok Mr. D, I didn't want to get together anyway. Where did you end up eating?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I ended up bailing on everyone and getting back to my room by 7:00 because I was a sleepy baby and wanted to watch soccer without any other humans near me because I'm never alone anymore. I did go to Market Tavern and had a beer (Duckpin, very good) and their charcuterie plate (fine) after the class. Not sure it was worth the trip, but whatever. Also, I had one decent sandwich and one really, really good sandwich from a place that brought lunch in. I need to look up the name.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Gourmet Girls: The Tika - Smoked Turkey Breast, Gouda Cheese, Cranberry Horseradish Sauce, Fresh Euro Greens On Toasted Ciabatta

I've had cranberry mayo plenty of times but never cranberry horseradish. Great combo. Also, Wells Discount Liquors had a ton of good shit and I spent $150 stocking up.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Gourmet Girls is some good stuff. Completely understand alone time. Maybe we'll catch up next time.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote:I ended up bailing on everyone and getting back to my room by 7:00 because I was a sleepy baby and wanted to watch soccer without any other humans near me because I'm never alone anymore.
It's remarkable how much I started craving a situation like that after we had kids.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

bfj wrote:Gourmet Girls is some good stuff. Completely understand alone time. Maybe we'll catch up next time.
Thanks. Although it nearly turned fatal as some weirdo family on the other side of the hall caused a commotion claiming "a small fireball shot out of" their A/C unit when they tried to turn it on. Crisis averted.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

mister d wrote:
bfj wrote:Gourmet Girls is some good stuff. Completely understand alone time. Maybe we'll catch up next time.
Thanks. Although it nearly turned fatal as some weirdo family on the other side of the hall caused a commotion claiming "a small fireball shot out of" their A/C unit when they tried to turn it on. Crisis averted.
Were you in the Hilton Garden Inn or the Hyatt Place. Both of them near one of the creepiest dead malls you will ever come across.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Hyatt and my training overlooked the dead mall. I was told they're going to turn it into an outdoor mall which can then be dead itself in 20 years.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Going to Baltimore for a night for my wife's birthday this weekend. Is Inner Harbor to Fells Point walkable and safe? I know you don't want to make wrong turns in certain sections but I have no idea where those are. If not, taxis the best option or is there actual PT there?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Very gentlemanly of you to be concerned with her safety while you're hunkered down for the night in your hotel enjoying your alone time.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote:Going to Baltimore for a night for my wife's birthday this weekend. Is Inner Harbor to Fells Point walkable and safe? I know you don't want to make wrong turns in certain sections but I have no idea where those are. If not, taxis the best option or is there actual PT there?
Yes. Very walkable and safe. You go through a cool neighborhood (Harbor East) as you make your way to Fells. No worries at all on the walk - and the whole thing is along the harbor. Hard to make wrong turns in that part of downtown and get in trouble. Hope you all have a great visit.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

mister d wrote:Going to Baltimore for a night for my wife's birthday this weekend. Is Inner Harbor to Fells Point walkable and safe? I know you don't want to make wrong turns in certain sections but I have no idea where those are. If not, taxis the best option or is there actual PT there?
Water Taxi. I am more of a fan of Federal Hill (other side of the Harbor..behind the Science Center) than Fells Point
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ever go to Lobo?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

wlu_lax6 wrote:
Water Taxi. I am more of a fan of Federal Hill (other side of the Harbor..behind the Science Center) than Fells Point
I agree with both of these sentiments. If you go to Fed Hill, check out Abbey Burger Bistro. Canton (further past Fell's Point) has some good restaurants and bars also.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

mister d wrote:Ever go to Lobo?
Yes, but only for dessert and coffee one night. Food looked good.