The Dude

Re: Movies

Post by P.D.X. »

Everybody Wants Some!! is damn good.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

P.D.X. wrote:Everybody Wants Some!! is damn good.
Batman v. Superman is not.

Though the casting for Wonder Woman was an excellent.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

P.D.X. wrote:Everybody Wants Some!! is damn good.
Good to hear. I really wanted to see that on Friday but couldn't find it playing somewhere local enough that my wife and I could grab dinner after work and then see the movie without it being a late showing.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

So for those who are/have been Netflix DVD subscribers, what's the longest you've ever had a single disc? I just sent back Captain Phillips after having it since April 2014 (without watching it).
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Johnny Carwash wrote:So for those who are/have been Netflix DVD subscribers, what's the longest you've ever had a single disc? I just sent back Captain Phillips after having it since April 2014 (without watching it).
I had JFK from September 2000 to July 2003.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote:
Johnny Carwash wrote:So for those who are/have been Netflix DVD subscribers, what's the longest you've ever had a single disc? I just sent back Captain Phillips after having it since April 2014 (without watching it).
I had JFK from September 2000 to July 2003.
Not applicable. That's about how long the movie is.

<drumroll>

Thanks, I'll be here all week.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I had Hotel Rwanda for a long time...not that long though.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Laughing right now because "Captain Phillips" has been on my dvr for 18 months.

I'm sure I;m going to enjoy it, but, well, other shows and movies always seem to bud in front.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

DaveInSeattle wrote:
I had Hotel Rwanda for a long time...not that long though.
My wife and I had "Hotel Rwanda" in our DVR for a couple years and never watched it, as the DirecTV receiver died.

And, Pruitt, "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" resides in our DVR and was recorded thanks to six months of free movie channels from DireTV when we moved. Recorded on Oct 22, 2013. There are four other movies in there from the following 2 1/2 weeks.

And with free HBO and Cinemax this weekend, I could probably put a dent in the 25% available space.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I set the DVR to record at least five movies this weekend on the free weekend.

Always a nice little bonus. Time kilelrs mostly, nothing I super want to see.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Pruitt wrote:
Laughing right now because "Captain Phillips" has been on my dvr for 18 months.

I'm sure I;m going to enjoy it, but, well, other shows and movies always seem to bud in front.
Hanks seems to be on a recent run of doing movies you feel like you should see, but don't actually want to see.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I thought Captain Phillips was really good.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This movie is going to be ridiculous......ly bad.

Tickets for it just went on sale. And I reserved mine.

http://www.range15.com/locations.html

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnnie wrote:This movie is going to be ridiculous......ly bad.

Tickets for it just went on sale. And I reserved mine.

http://www.range15.com/locations.html

My friend's sister is in that movie. The one I posted about in the random links thread who lost her arms in Iraq. There was a big preview/premier party in Las Vegas a couple of months ago.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

brian wrote:My friend's sister is in that movie. The one I posted about in the random links thread who lost her arms in Iraq. There was a big preview/premier party in Las Vegas a couple of months ago.
Was she the one, um, woman with no arms, shown in the trailer?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote:
brian wrote:My friend's sister is in that movie. The one I posted about in the random links thread who lost her arms in Iraq. There was a big preview/premier party in Las Vegas a couple of months ago.
Was she the one, um, woman with no arms, shown in the trailer?
Oh yeah. I didn't watch the trailer before responding initially. I honestly didn't think her part was big enough to get billing like that.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Make your own rom-com with 5 simple ingredients:

1. Random holiday to serve as the title
2. Actress who only does rom-coms
3. Actress who did rom-coms 20 years ago to be her mother
4. Gay guy or red-headed actress to be the wacky best friend
5. Good-looking but easily influenced guy to be the love interest
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Johnny Carwash wrote:Make your own rom-com with 5 simple ingredients:

1. Random holiday to serve as the title
2. Actress who only does rom-coms
3. Actress who did rom-coms 20 years ago to be her mother
4. Gay guy or red-headed actress to be the wacky best friend
5. Good-looking but easily influenced guy to be the love interest
It's Flag Day! Starring Anne Hathaway, Susan Sarandon, Jesse Tyler Ferguson and John Krasinski

Yup
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Keanu looks pretty funny.

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Indeed. Although I hate that they seem to have added Gangsta Kitten to the name in recent ads.
Totally Kafkaesque
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

‘Mother’s Day,’ As Recreated Via Its Scathing Reviews

They've done the concept before, but that one is pretty great.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

When Mars Attacks came out, I was pretty underwhelmed.

20 years later, I've now seen it in whole or in huge chunks maybe 8 or 9 times.

And watching the whole thing again last night, I actually laughed out loud a number of times.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Always liked Mars Attacks! Haven't seen it in years.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Creed was surprisingly good. Stallone was fantastic.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

A_B wrote:Keanu looks pretty funny.

Key and Peele discuss Keanu (sort of) while eating hot wings.

Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

If you are looking to score points with your lady friend, put on "Brooklyn". My GF loved it, and I enjoyed it as well.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Watched Captain America: Civil War in an IMAX theater. I hadn't actually been in an IMAX prior to this. It isn't as good, in my opinion, as the '4D' theaters in Korea. The movie was standard comic book fare. I liked it neither more nor less than Batman vs Superman.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie wrote:Watched Captain America: Civil War in an IMAX theater. I hadn't actually been in an IMAX prior to this. It isn't as good, in my opinion, as the '4D' theaters in Korea. The movie was standard comic book fare. I liked it neither more nor less than Batman vs Superman.
I'm completely done with comic book movies. I'll see the next Guardians Of The Galaxy (which I think of as a space movie more than a comic book movie), but that's it.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Doctor Strange should be good.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I saw Civil War on Saturday at the fancy theater (iPic). I'm not completely done with the genre, so I enjoyed it.

The one thing, though, is that... I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll just say the trailers... You know what. I enjoyed the movie and I'll leave it there for now.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote:I saw Civil War on Saturday at the fancy theater (iPic). I'm not completely done with the genre, so I enjoyed it.

The one thing, though, is that... I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll just say the trailers... You know what. I enjoyed the movie and I'll leave it there for now.
The Statue of Limitations on spoilers is 150 years, so it's OK to say the Union won.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote:
Nonlinear FC wrote:I saw Civil War on Saturday at the fancy theater (iPic). I'm not completely done with the genre, so I enjoyed it.

The Statue of Limitations on spoilers is 150 years, so it's OK to say the Union won.
Maybe a superhero movie is the confirmation that the south has been waiting for all these years.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I'm pretty excited for CA:Civil War and upset I didn't get to see it last weekend. Friday, I hope.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

So I'd gone through of couple years of inertia in movie-watching, where I'd only seen a very few new ones. Finally spent the last couple weeks making an effort to bang some out via Netflix and Redbox and get caught up on movies that got a lot of attention in the last year or so.

Kingsman: The Secret Service: A lot different than the initial previews suggested. Made by the same guy who did Kick-Ass, not quite as subversive and edgy, but still a fun departure from most big-budget action movies. A little bit overlong and self-indulgent, but still pretty good overall.

Spectre: Apparently this got a mixed response from critics, but I didn't think there was a dramatic difference in quality from Skyfall, which I thought was a little overrated. Pretty good overall, but got a little over-the-top, especially toward the end. It's odd that just as they're getting the rebooted elements of the franchise in place (the traditional M/Moneypenny set-up, Q, Spectre, etc.) it looks like Craig might be moving on.

Trainwreck: Really good. I'll admit to being a comedy snob who thinks there is like one good comedy movie every other year, but this was one of them. Not really a Schumer fan, but she was really good here and even did surprisingly well in the dramatic scenes. Looks like Judd Apatow has his fastball back after his stretch of making movies increasingly about his wife. I know people made a big deal about LeBron in this; he was OK, but I thought John Cena stole the first 1/4 of the movie.

Birdman: Went into this one thinking there was at least a chance I'd think it was blowhardy bullshit, but no, it really was as good as all the accolades it got. An example of my rule that it's OK to be pretentious if you are actually as good as you think you are. A good case can be made that it's the best movie of the 20th century so far.

Spotlight: OK, I thought this one was just mediocre. Interesting subject, pedestrian filmmaking. Felt more like a solid made-for-cable movie than something that would stand out as the best movie in a year. Barely any characterization; the people in the movie existed to take turns saying information the writers wanted the viewer to know. Head-scratching how this won Best Picture.

The Martian: Really, really good. Maybe the best sci-fi movie in recent years, and it's had a lot of competition with the mini-renaissance of "harder" sci-fi like Gravity, Interstellar, Moon. Haven't seen all the Best Picture nominees from last year, but this one at least was far and away better than Spotlight.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Johnny Carwash wrote:Spotlight: <bunch of words> Head-scratching how this won Best Picture.
Because the Jews run Hollywood, obviously.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I really liked Captain America: CIVIL WAR. Spidey was probably perfect, Black Panther was great, and my man-crush on Paul Rudd is even bigger now (ha!).

However...
[+] spoiler
...I have the same feeling I had after Age of Ultron, which is that nothing of consequence really happened to anyone. I let it go with the last Avengers flick, assuming something would happen in this movie, but not really. Cap and Tony are somewhat estranged, but only a phone call away. Sure Cap and his about to be jail-broken crew will be on the run, but the next time we see them a giant purple guy from outer space will be trying to murder the entire universe, so I'm sure all will be forgiven. I guess I'd like to see someone die? Or something? I think these characters are all worth too much to Marvel for them to kill anyone of consequence.

As much as I love the GOTG, I think it would be great if they used the next movie to finally establish Thanos' bad guy credentials by having him just destroy them. Literally, dead, all of them.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, a couple nights ago I was a good husband and accompanied my wife to see Love and Friendship, a Jane Austen period piece. It was good if you like that sort of thing, though not really my cup of lager. The main thought in my head coming from that movie is that Kate Beckinsale still looks delicious.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Saw Straight Outta Compton and it was surprisingly below average. The guy who played Easy E was great, but after a great start, it degenerated into standard biopic fare. Marred by another brutal Paul Giammatti ham-session, and it was obvious that Ice Cube and Dr. Dre produced the thing because they pretty much had haloes on through the entire film.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Saw Popstar tonight. It pretty friggin funny.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Just watched The Mist for the first time. I had heard something about the ending being a big deal, so I was ready for a twist. It wasn't a twist. Oof. Hell of an ending.
Totally Kafkaesque