Big 10 going to get a bit Bigger

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Big 10 going to get a bit Bigger

Post by wlu_lax6 »

130 years as an independent ends as Johns Hopkins will be joining the Big 10 for Men and Women's lacrosse. Announcement on Monday.
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Re: Big 10 going to get a bit Bigger

Post by vandwagon »

So with Maryland, Rutgers and Hopkins along with the current lacrosse playing Big 10 schools, that gives them enough for an AQ league? I imagine it'll take some time to unwind current affiliations, but I'm glad they can put it together.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

How many additional cable boxes does this get the Big Ten Network on?
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

DSafetyGuy wrote:How many additional cable boxes does this get the Big Ten Network on?
Well one could argue it could help but probably the same geographic area that Maryland would bring. However, I heard that one of the big sticking points with JHU was a requirement that they could maintain their ESPN deal (think Notre Dame football on NBC) and have an opt out in a few years. I think this will all kick in in 2015 (Maryland's first year in the Big 10).
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

wlu_lax6 wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:How many additional cable boxes does this get the Big Ten Network on?
Well one could argue it could help but probably the same geographic area that Maryland would bring. However, I heard that one of the big sticking points with JHU was a requirement that they could maintain their ESPN deal (think Notre Dame football on NBC) and have an opt out in a few years. I think this will all kick in in 2015 (Maryland's first year in the Big 10).
MD is already on the 2014 B10 football schedule... Does the transfer start at the beginning of the academic year?
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

This is so weird and fascinating, I didn't know where to put it.

I guess maybe it's people who are primarily basketball fans (Dems) versus people who are football fans (GOP)? Any other ideas?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

No idea what to make of it. None. (The money, maybe? Maryland is making way more money in the B1G than it would in the ACC.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A choice of tradition vs. money makes sense to me.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

sancarlos wrote:A choice of tradition vs. money makes sense to me.
Especially when you're talking about fans. They aren't seeing that money. But they are seeing conference matchups with Rutgers and Minnesota instead of Duke and Virginia.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Shirley wrote:
sancarlos wrote:A choice of tradition vs. money makes sense to me.
Especially when you're talking about fans. They aren't seeing that money. But they are seeing conference matchups with Rutgers and Minnesota instead of Duke and Virginia.
To be fair, they're seeing matchups against Michigan and Ohio State and not Wake Forest and Pittsburgh. (See what I did there?)
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

But there is less history with those schools no matter how big of name they are. Fans enjoy the history just as much as having big time teams play.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

duff wrote:But there is less history with those schools no matter how big of name they are. Fans enjoy the history just as much as having big time teams play.
I get that. I get the argument. I totally understand where they're coming from. If I were a Maryland fan especially I'd probably have been pissed about leaving the ACC, but just pointing out that the problem isn't that the Big Ten is a bunch of nobodies like Rutgers and Minnesota, it's the loss of all that history.
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

I fall into the Democrat in the ACC category with this one. I'm not actively upset about or anything like that. I get why it was done. As others have pointed out I preferred the history with the ACC teams than new games against Big 10 powerhouse teams. I just hope it all works out money wise like it's supposed to.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

vandwagon wrote:I fall into the Democrat in the ACC category with this one. I'm not actively upset about or anything like that. I get why it was done. As others have pointed out I preferred the history with the ACC teams than new games against Big 10 powerhouse teams. I just hope it all works out money wise like it's supposed to.
The ACC isn't going to get the money the Big Ten is reported to be getting for the next six years of (half) its rights from Fox
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

Brontoburglar wrote:
vandwagon wrote:I fall into the Democrat in the ACC category with this one. I'm not actively upset about or anything like that. I get why it was done. As others have pointed out I preferred the history with the ACC teams than new games against Big 10 powerhouse teams. I just hope it all works out money wise like it's supposed to.
The ACC isn't going to get the money the Big Ten is reported to be getting for the next six years of (half) its rights from Fox
That's why it was the right move and in a decade or two most people will have forgotten about the ACC years. I think the only reason people prefer the ACC is because of the history and how recent it was.