Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by mister d »

If you eliminate god from the post entirely, it was still half obliviousness to the fact that something awful did happen, not almost happen, and half absolving herself as merely being the one it happened to since it could have happened to anyone.

(And really, don't we kinda know exactly what she's like. Not because she posted something at all or because thanked god her kid was alive, but for her ability to string the thoughts she did to form the post? Maybe trauma makes some people awful, but I bet its almost always preexisting.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

And I think it's intellectually dishonest of you to brush off her lack of anything even remotely resembling humility, remorse, or moral accountability because she's "emotional." I mean what the fuck do you judge people by if not their words, AB?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

How about their more carefully measured words, as provided by an aunt or something that's maybe a lawyer?
In a statement issued by a family spokesperson on Monday, the boy's parents said "we are so thankful to the Lord that our child is safe."

"We extend our heartfelt thanks for the quick action by the Cincinnati Zoo staff. We know that this was a very difficult decision for them and that they are grieving the loss of their gorilla," the statement read.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"At the same time, we ask the staff to acknowledge that accidents do happen and that kids can sneak away at any time and that their monkey's life pales in comparison to our son's. All things considered, it wasn't really that bad and we hope there are no hard feelings either way. We look forward to visiting their elephant exhibit in August!"
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Also, I'm pretty sure I heard this lady runs a daycare. Which ... I mean ... we might have to invoke another thread here.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I had the fun experience yesterday of having my Yakima roof-mount bike rack attachment (which, in all fairness, I've had for over 20 years) fail and my commuter bike go sailing off the roof at about 65 mph. Luckily, no one was hurt...it bounced a bunch of times and ended up hitting a taxi on the hood and cracking its windshield. That's a fun thing to try to explain to my insurance company.

As for the bike...well, its looking pretty rough, but neither wheel taco'ed, and it looks like the frame didn't bend, so I'm going to take it into the shop and see what they can do for me.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

At the end of the day, too...if it's intellectual honesty that you're striving for, that's a bull you gotta grab by the horns and let it take you wherever the hell it wants to go. That means that if you want to invoke this principle of emotion leading to an inability to properly express yourself, then that needs to be the standard, regardless of what words happen to pour out of her cunt-mouth. That means that if she had said words that made her sound like maybe a humble, remorseful human being, you'd need to apply the same standard for accepting it as sincere as you do to the words that make her sound like a horrible cunt. Otherwise, you're kind of playing tennis without the net.*

*Is that a thing? That's a thing, right?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote:At the end of the day, too...if it's intellectual honesty that you're striving for, that's a bull you gotta grab by the horns and let it take you wherever the hell it wants to go. That means that if you want to invoke this principle of emotion leading to an inability to properly express yourself, then that needs to be the standard, regardless of what words happen to pour out of her cunt-mouth. That means that if she had said words that made her sound like maybe a humble, remorseful human being, you'd need to apply the same standard for accepting it as sincere as you do to the words that make her sound like a horrible cunt. Otherwise, you're kind of playing tennis without the net.*

*Is that a thing? That's a thing, right?
I can't begin to express what a load of bullshit this is. It's not cut and dry like that at all. Extenuating circumstances are just that. Aren't there even legit legal defenses about being under duress when things are said? I'd defer to the lawyers in the house of course.

I'd wager that everyone here has said something in anger that they didn't really mean 100% and likely later apologized for or at least admitted it was over the line. That's not to say this particular woman feels that way of course (though the post was deleted and the spokesperson issued a much more thoughtful and measured statement) but that premise doesn't fly with me at all.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

To straddle the line here ... I've said and done things that I wish I hadn't, but I'm not sure I've ever done anything in total contradiction to my actual character. What I said/did probably just revealed one of the shittier aspects of me.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:To straddle the line here ... I've said and done things that I wish I hadn't, but I'm not sure I've ever done anything in total contradiction to my actual character. What I said/did probably just revealed one of the shittier aspects of me.
That's 100% fair. And this woman may be horrible. But I just don't think that gives people a pass to be horrible without knowing more about her. Golden rule and all that shit.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I've decided that nailing her for not saying sorry to the zoo in a Facebook post that she probably pictured just being read by her friends and family is not great.

Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Oh, I'm absolutely practicing the Golden Rule. If it was me and I reacted the way she did, I would very much expect for people to call me a cunt.
I can't begin to express what a load of bullshit this is. It's not cut and dry like that at all. Extenuating circumstances are just that. Aren't there even legit legal defenses about being under duress when things are said? I'd defer to the lawyers in the house of course.
Yes, AB. I've already granted you that. You can have it. No need to check with a lawyer. If those circumstances are in play though, they need to apply despite of her reaction. That means you have to apply as much skepticism to her words even if she had said "I screwed up. This was huge mistake and I am 100% accountable. I'm terribly sorry and I'm going to do whatever I can to try to make this right." I mean...you don't have to but that's the burden that intellectual honesty carries with it. Otherwise, you're basically teeing the ball up out of the rough.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote:Oh, I'm absolutely practicing the Golden Rule. If it was me and I reacted the way she did, I would very much expect for people to call me a cunt.
Yes, AB. I've already granted you that. You can have it. No need to check with a lawyer. If those circumstances are in play though, they need to apply despite of her reaction. That means you have to apply as much skepticism to her words even if she had said "I screwed up. This was huge mistake and I am 100% accountable. I'm terribly sorry and I'm going to do whatever I can to try to make this right." I mean...you don't have to but that's the burden that intellectual honesty carries with it. Otherwise, you're basically teeing the ball up out of the rough.
I almost want to keep fighting just to hear your obscure rugby analogy that must be coming.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Otherwise, you're just punting the ball from the out of the back of the end zone.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

It's like starting a scrum without a haka.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Wait, now you're saying things that would put you at a disadvantage.

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote:It's like starting a scrum without a haka.
Hey! That's a simile!
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Decided I'm going to start collecting Minor League Baseball team t-shirts. Just made a list of all the ones I could find that I actually like (about 4 pages worth) complete with links so that I can share it with family and they can just pick off the list for birthday, Christmas, Fathers Day, etc.

It's literally the most excited I've been in about a year.

BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Ryan wrote:Decided I'm going to start collecting Minor League Baseball team t-shirts. Just made a list of all the ones I could find that I actually like (about 4 pages worth) complete with links so that I can share it with family and they can just pick off the list for birthday, Christmas, Fathers Day, etc.

I'll send you an Indians T if they're on your list.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Ryan wrote:Wait, now you're saying things that would put you at a disadvantage.
It's like starting a scrum without getting haka'd?
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

BSF21 wrote:
Ryan wrote:Decided I'm going to start collecting Minor League Baseball team t-shirts. Just made a list of all the ones I could find that I actually like (about 4 pages worth) complete with links so that I can share it with family and they can just pick off the list for birthday, Christmas, Fathers Day, etc.

They have basically no logo, let alone a cool logo, so it didn't make my list. But I can't pass it up. I'll paypal you whatever.

Something basic, like this?

duff
Donny

Post by duff »

I can grab a South Bend Cubs or a Ft. Wayne Tincaps for you.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Assuming this is on the list.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Hudson Valley Renegades make it?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ryan wrote:I've decided that nailing her for not saying sorry to the zoo in a Facebook post that she probably pictured just being read by her friends and family is not great.
"... and if anyone knows me ..."
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Ryan wrote:
BSF21 wrote:

They have basically no logo, let alone a cool logo, so it didn't make my list. But I can't pass it up. I'll paypal you whatever.

Something basic, like this?
Sure. PM me a size and address and next time I get down to Victory I'll try and remember to get you one. I don't have paypal nor do I knowhow it works but we can figure something out or you can send me something neat back. Either way.

Think this would get traction as a separate thread for Swampers trying to nab cool gear from other parts of the country or does the internet sort of make this whole idea obsolete?

Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

You might as well just post the list, Ryan.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

duff wrote:I can grab a South Bend Cubs or a Ft. Wayne Tincaps for you.
Both on the list. Love the Tincaps.
P.D.X. wrote:Assuming this is on the list.

In the top 3
mister d wrote:Hudson Valley Renegades make it?
Their online store has nothing

BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

duff wrote:

I can grab a South Bend Cubs or a Ft. Wayne Tincaps for you.
Tincaps are a neat team.

I also drive by here like 6 times a year for work.
http://www.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t572
Never been, but they have a big sign that says "home of the Bratzooka", which I can only assume is a cannon that fires bratwurst at hungry Wisconsinites.

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

This would be fun with junior and minor league hockey as well.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

govmentchedda wrote:

This would be fun with junior and minor league hockey as well.
The local affiliate had "Go Bolts" on the marquee a couple weeks ago.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I've thought about getting a Crunch jersey in the auctions that they seem to run all the time. However, they're generally really expensive. On a side note, getting rid of Zettler was probably good for the Crunch. Should be interesting to see how they do next year under the guy with the funny name. One of my favorite podcasts is Bolt Prospects, and there's a lot of Crunch talk on there.

Side note, at game 6 of ECF, I sat behind a guy with a Vasilkevskiy Crunch jersey that was misspelled.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Tough year.
Last year, Elizabeth Holmes topped the FORBES list of America’s Richest Self-Made Women with a net worth of $4.5 billion. Today, FORBES is lowering our estimate of her net worth to nothing.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewherp ... 134622f29a
Totally Kafkaesque
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

govmentchedda wrote:I've thought about getting a Crunch jersey in the auctions that they seem to run all the time. However, they're generally really expensive. On a side note, getting rid of Zettler was probably good for the Crunch. Should be interesting to see how they do next year under the guy with the funny name. One of my favorite podcasts is Bolt Prospects, and there's a lot of Crunch talk on there.

Side note, at game 6 of ECF, I sat behind a guy with a Vasilkevskiy Crunch jersey that was misspelled.
Their logo/jerseys have been atrocious with the affiliation with the Lightning being a massive improvement. Team was a hideous combination of 1990's uniform ideas when they opened shop.

BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I gots me one of these

and one of these

I like em.

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I really like that red one, BSF. I also like the orange and white Crunch one seen below.

I don't need another hockey jersey that I can wear one month out of the year though, and for some reason the Crunch don't have any tshirts for sale.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The red one was our season ticket holder gift last year. Everyone who bought a full season package regardless of the pricepoint got an exclusive sweater. I was a fan.

This year it's apparently Sherwood duffel bags that are super nice and heavy duty. We shall see once I'm in possession of mine.

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

govmentchedda wrote:I don't need another hockey jersey that I can wear one month out of the year though, and for some reason the Crunch don't have any tshirts for sale.
About a dozen options here.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Thanks!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I'm a fan of this

and this sweater they wore in the first game of the Memorial Cup is gorgeous.

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?