Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Scottie
Donny

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by Scottie »

You need a permit? Is that a neighborhood thing? Municipal? Not required here.

And, sigh, 6:49 AM. Yawn. Time to suck it up and deal with all of this. At least the weather held. Gorgeous here.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

It's a township rule. $7 gets us the right to have two garage sales over the course of the year.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote:Annnnnnnd people are showing up.
It's sad how little I like or trust random strangers who show up places to paw through other people's shit.
HDO45331
Brandt

Post by HDO45331 »

Scottie wrote:You need a permit? Is that a neighborhood thing? Municipal? Not required here.

And, sigh, 6:49 AM. Yawn. Time to suck it up and deal with all of this. At least the weather held. Gorgeous here.
Permits keep people from opening their own thrift store.
It's the sixth version of The Swamp. What could possibly go wrong?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

You know what's annoying? My FB page has been around for over 2+ years. It just passed 3,500 likes the other day. A similar page with a similar name pops up 8 days ago and already has over 2,500 likes. I know it's just a silly page for people to like, but holy shit. I know I shouldn't be all butt hurt that some things go viral and others don't, but exactly what do I need to do to wake up one morning and see that my page has 100K+ likes? If the answer is "pay Facebook money," then I'll just merrily keep posting random stuff and hope it catches on.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Today is a good day because my birthday and Father's Day are as far away as they can be (save for leap years, which are even better).
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

rass wrote:We're having one today, too. I wrote "NO EARLY BIRDS" on the cl posting.
Neighbour two doors down is moving, so a few weeks ago he held a contents sale on a Saturday.

Unfortunately, my dog needed to use the lawn at 6:45 that morning which is why I saw about two dozen people lined up to get in - and the sale didn't start until 8.

Who are these people?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Copper is an underrated metal.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Johnny Carwash wrote:Copper is an underrated metal.
I'd be surprised if it wasn't the most stolen metal.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I feel as if though I rate copper appropriately.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

P.D.X. wrote:
It is, isn't it? Surely.

I see news stories consistently about copper wire theft in this vicinity. Somebody is doing something with it, fuck knows what, yet what is an interesting question. Why how where and hmmm.

Nobody steals potassium.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Scottie wrote:
P.D.X. wrote:
It is, isn't it? Surely.

I see news stories consistently about copper wire theft in this vicinity. Somebody is doing something with it, fuck knows what, yet what is an interesting question. Why how where and hmmm.

Nobody steals potassium.
Meth users. They steal it and sell it for scrap. Big problem in these parts.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Stolen copper wire and pipe is a big problem everywhere. No jobsite is safe. One disheartening thing that happened in my almost crime-free little hamlet awhile back - they had to cancel the kids' evening soccer games at the only lighted soccer field, because thieves had stolen all the copper wire from the power boxes.

San Francisco is trying to fight the problem of unscrupulous scrap metal dealers creating a market in stolen copper, in an interesting manner.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

You can't buy beer in Lexington on Sunday until 11 AM. That will teach me to not do my grocery shopping while the holy rollers are at church.

And I know it used to be no alcohol sales on Sundays here, but what the fuck is the difference between 11 and 9 AM?
Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Bensell wrote:You can't buy beer in Lexington on Sunday until 11 AM. That will teach me to not do my grocery shopping while the holy rollers are at church.

And I know it used to be no alcohol sales on Sundays here, but what the fuck is the difference between 11 and 9 AM?
A six-pack before brunch.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Bensell wrote:You can't buy beer in Lexington on Sunday until 11 AM. That will teach me to not do my grocery shopping while the holy rollers are at church.

Maybe the laws there have changed, but years ago when I lived in Texas, you couldn't buy alcohol before noon on Sundays. So, at the grocery story at 11:58 am, there would be a dozen guys lingering around near the checkouts, holding twelve-packs.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

We have the same laws here. I can't remember what time it changes, but you can't buy alcohol on Sunday mornings. Praise Jesus.
Totally Kafkaesque
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

No such laws here.

Ha!
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Steve of phpBB wrote:No such laws here.

Ha!
But it's all 3.2.

And in MA they have all sorts of laws governing when you can buy, except with 10 miles or so of state borders...there you can buy any day of the week. They want that tax revenue, can't having you over to NH to buy a sixer.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:

Maybe the laws there have changed, but years ago when I lived in Texas, you couldn't buy alcohol before noon on Sundays. So, at the grocery story at 11:58 am, there would be a dozen guys lingering around near the checkouts, holding twelve-packs.
It has not changed. And those idiots just didn't plan well! Always make sure I have my Sunday beer bought on Saturday nights, especially during football season.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Ontario's provincial sphincter is a lot looser than it used to be, but the government still has a monopoly on wine and liquor sales and (along with Molson and Labatts) on retail beer operations. Not a big deal for me as I live in close proximity to a couple good liquor stores, but no beer at the corner store or in grocery stores?

ridiculous.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

That feeling when you have 20 mins left to kill at work and realize you haven't taken a shit all day.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The number two minute warning?

The poo minute warning?

Saved by the smell?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I was reading about the opening day of the George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin trial today. Now....I'm no lawyer, but is telling a "Knock Knock" joke in your opening statement when your client is charged with 2nd degree murder a good idea?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

AussieDave wrote:I was reading about the opening day of the George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin trial today. Now....I'm no lawyer, but is telling a "Knock Knock" joke in your opening statement when your client is charged with 2nd degree murder a good idea?
It was such a bad joke, too. Is there video? There must be. Just a sec.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

"At considerable risk, let me tell a joke..."

Ouch. I love the look the prosecutors give him when he starts begging for a response.
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

PA has the worst alcohol sales situation. Until recently, you had to buy entire cases of beer - unless you were doing takeout from a bar/restaurant. Some folks have leveraged the takeout rules and have opened bottle shops. Some supermarkets have as well. And you have to buy liquor and wine from a state store. Which is separate from beer distributors and bottle shops. It's all fucked up. They are looking to privatize the state stores but there is opposition to that.

In any event, the one rule that PA has that KY may have as well is that Sunday sales can only occur for a certain number of hours. I think PA is 5 hours. So as a merchant, you need to decide if you will have more sales between 9-11 or 2-4. I don't know if you can shift your hours around on the fly to accommodate things like tailgating on Sundays.
oh shit...
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

KY is just that you can't get it until 11. I think the rest of the rules are the same. There's a blackout from 2Am-11 Am I believe.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
HDO45331
Brandt

Post by HDO45331 »

I believe Indiana still has blue laws. No sales of beer or liquor on Sunday.
It's the sixth version of The Swamp. What could possibly go wrong?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

AussieDave wrote:I was reading about the opening day of the George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin trial today. Now....I'm no lawyer, but is telling a "Knock Knock" joke in your opening statement when your client is charged with 2nd degree murder a good idea?
With a lawyer like that, methinks it's time to prep Ol' Sparky.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Remember, Swamps ago, the "Did you ever get email intended for someone else", or words to that effect, thread?

Ultimately, it resulted in the Melissa recordings. Good times.

Anyway, over the last few days I've been getting someone else's email about this:

Intervews for the Adam Hernandez Case

Sponsel April <Sponsela@mcao.maricopa.gov>
7:45 AM (2 hours ago)

Hello Mr. Macleod,

Thank you so much for agreeing to come to my office to conduct the interview in the Chandler Mall/Baja Fresh case.

As we discussed you are scheduled for July 5th, 2013 at 8:00 am. Please come to 301 West Jefferson, Downtown Phoenix, 6th floor and just ask for me.

Any issues please email me or call me at 602-527-0241. Please email me letting me know that you received this email.

Thanks Again

April Sponsel
Deputy County Attorney
Gang Bureau
Maricopa County Attorney’s Office
602-506-8154
Gang Bureau, eh?

Hmmm. Can't decide if I should Camaro this one in some fashion or not.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Scottie wrote:Remember, Swamps ago, the "Did you ever get email intended for someone else", or words to that effect, thread?

Ultimately, it resulted in the Melissa recordings. Good times.

Anyway, over the last few days I've been getting someone else's email about this:
Sponsel April <Sponsela@mcao.maricopa.gov>
7:45 AM (2 hours ago)

Hello Mr. Macleod,

Thank you so much for agreeing to come to my office to conduct the interview in the Chandler Mall/Baja Fresh case.

As we discussed you are scheduled for July 5th, 2013 at 8:00 am. Please come to 301 West Jefferson, Downtown Phoenix, 6th floor and just ask for me.

Any issues please email me or call me at 602-527-0241. Please email me letting me know that you received this email.

Thanks Again

April Sponsel
Deputy County Attorney
Gang Bureau
Maricopa County Attorney’s Office
602-506-8154
Gang Bureau, eh?

Hmmm. Can't decide if I should Camaro this one in some fashion or not.
Or a trip to PHX in July! If so, I suggest looking up phxgators
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Never thought of that! Damn, that's a good idea, Brian.
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

Scottie wrote:Never thought of that! Damn, that's a good idea, Brian.
I'm not usually one to discourage mischief but given the current climate in the US, I would send Ms Sponsel an e-mail pointing out her poor typing skills re:e-mail addresses and run away. The last thing you need is Sheriff Arpaio trying to get you extradited on an O.O.J. charge. Fun for the rest of us mind you...
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Rams Fanny wrote:
Scottie wrote:Never thought of that! Damn, that's a good idea, Brian.
I'm not usually one to discourage mischief but given the current climate in the US, I would send Ms Sponsel an e-mail pointing out her poor typing skills re:e-mail addresses and run away. The last thing you need is Sheriff Arpaio trying to get you extradited on an O.O.J. charge. Fun for the rest of us mind you...
Well, you are right, sir. Although it was tempting.

"Intervews for the Adam Hernandez Case"

I replied that she has mis-addressed, and sent, personal information to the wrong guy. I suggested possible reasons for the error and oddly tried to help her out instead of, say, getting a bureaucrat to rubberstamp me a return ticket to/from PHX. And I'd require a hotel room. Even though the Diamondbacks are at home against Colorado during those days. Thing is, they probably would have provided it without blinking. Authorized by their own design. Gak.

Would have been fun to toy with it, sure. Yet, decided to be useful; fuck me. Damn, I'm getting old.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Pruitt wrote:
With a lawyer like that, methinks it's time to prep Ol' Sparky.
Groundwork has been laid for an appeal for incompetent representation.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Yeah, I remember that... I had friends in the mall the day of that shooting, was almost there myself.

And Arpaio has pulled crazier stunts than bogus OOJ charges, nothing he does would surprise me.
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

My office building was flooded and just getting power now. I might be part of a skeleton staff going in tomorrow,otherwise I'm off the whole week.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I accidently logged out. The look freaked me out.

The Hilliard Ensemble came on random and it calmed me down.

BTW we are moving to a new place in mid-August with a new ISP so SwampRadio will be back.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?