Three Very Important Travel Safety Questions

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Jerloma
The Dude

Re: Three Very Important Travel Safety Questions

Post by Jerloma »

Even though I was just really looking for affirmation, I did semi-seriously ask if anyone would swim in that lake behind the house I'm staying at, and I'm like a genius. So...
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Oh, I think Disney's liable whether they put alligator warning signs up or not. I really don't get why they'd build that sandy beach though, for water you aren't allowed to swim in. That's weird.
Totally Kafkaesque
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Jerloma wrote:Even though I was just really looking for affirmation, I did semi-seriously ask if anyone would swim in that lake behind the house I'm staying at, and I'm like a genius. So...
/swims in lake, does not get bitten by gator
/does pick up brain-eating amoeba
/with last intelligible utterance before entering a permanent vegetative state, insists that it isn't in the least bit ironic that he called himself a genius before taking this trip
/spends part of every Sunday for the rest of his life being wheeled to a church service in the living facility's cafeteria/chapel
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Nonlinear FC wrote:* I'm going to just echo ard go deeper on the "on property" issue. Disney goes WAY out its way to make you feel like you've entered another place/domain once you drive onto their massive, sprawling complex. They invite you to believe you have entered the happiest place on earth. Everything is manicured and sculpted to make you buy into this.
Exactly. Much better way to make this point than calling DW-goers rubes.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote:
Nonlinear FC wrote:* I'm going to just echo ard go deeper on the "on property" issue. Disney goes WAY out its way to make you feel like you've entered another place/domain once you drive onto their massive, sprawling complex. They invite you to believe you have entered the happiest place on earth. Everything is manicured and sculpted to make you buy into this.
Exactly. Much better way to make this point than calling DW-goers rubes.
Those two points aren't mutually exclusive.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Also, it's not a Disney (or Las Vegas) thing. The vast number of people to visit Disney or Las Vegas are rubes because the vast majority of Americans are rubes. Doesn't matter whether they're vacationing in Orlando or Omaha.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

brian wrote:Also, it's not a Disney (or Las Vegas) thing. The vast number of people to visit Disney or Las Vegas are rubes because the vast majority of Americans are rubes. Doesn't matter whether they're vacationing in Orlando or Omaha.
I think the only point that I'm trying to make is that DW is engineered to to make you and your kids feel safe and to feel like nothing like what happened on Monday could ever EVER happen there. They want you to be able to relax, especially at the hotels (and especially at the Grand Floridian where the rooms probably start at no less than $600 a night). This likely could have happened even if the kid hadn't been in the water, but just on the sand. I personally really enjoy the DW experience, but they fucked up.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

rass wrote:
brian wrote:Also, it's not a Disney (or Las Vegas) thing. The vast number of people to visit Disney or Las Vegas are rubes because the vast majority of Americans are rubes. Doesn't matter whether they're vacationing in Orlando or Omaha.
I think the only point that I'm trying to make is that DW is engineered to to make you and your kids feel safe and to feel like nothing like what happened on Monday could ever EVER happen there. They want you to be able to relax, especially at the hotels (and especially at the Grand Floridian where the rooms probably start at no less than $600 a night). This likely could have happened even if the kid hadn't been in the water, but just on the sand. I personally really enjoy the DW experience, but they fucked up.
But if Joe Witchita had been able to bring his gun into Disney none of this would have happened.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

rass wrote:

That's really the point I was trying to make (and I think did, subsequently.)

But I did just type up a long "i've seen some shit" about my experiences at Disney. I thought it better not to cloud the issue, because it's mostly a tangent about essentially what Brian said.

In sum: A combination of scorching heat and the cost of the trip (for many, this is a once in a lifetime deal) results in people losing their god damn minds at Disney.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Nonlinear FC wrote:
rass wrote:

That's really the point I was trying to make (and I think did, subsequently.)
Yup, I think you did, too.

And if you think the Disney post is worth sharing...
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Luckily we can all just drive 20 minutes over to Sea World for some payback
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I would think the visitors to Las Vegas seem like dazzling urbanites relative to the rubes who visit a rustic place like Branson.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote:
I would think the visitors to Las Vegas seem like dazzling urbanites relative to the rubes who visit a rustic place like Branson.
I'd like to think that as well, though I doubt it's true.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

So, I found out that in NV you can buy if you have a medical card from another state. I was going to take a whole batch of J-Lo's cookies with me, but now I don't have to!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote:So, I found out that in NV you can buy if you have a medical card from another state. I was going to take a whole batch of J-Lo's cookies with me, but now I don't have to!
Make sure to check on that before you leave though. There's been some bellyaching and discussion about changing the laws because of douchebag Californians. I doubt anything will change before your visit, but be sure to double check.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote:
Giff wrote:So, I found out that in NV you can buy if you have a medical card from another state. I was going to take a whole batch of J-Lo's cookies with me, but now I don't have to!
Make sure to check on that before you leave though. There's been some bellyaching and discussion about changing the laws because of douchebag Californians. I doubt anything will change before your visit, but be sure to double check.
Cool will do. I've been begging my sister to drive instead of fly, but with her company paying for it since she's going to a conference, it's not happening.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

We had some logistical issues and I ended up on separate flights than the wife kids. I did more research on the cookies. Apparently, the TSA could not care less about weed. Everything just said to discreetly put it in your carry on and forget about it. So that was a piece of cake.

Anyway, 4th very important travel question. I'm here by myself until Uber comes to take me to the airport at 8:30. Everyone has already left. My friend said I could feel free to take out one of these Gibbs. I'm not nearly bad ass enough to do this without hurting myself, right? I mean, I've driven a 4 wheel ATV and I've driven a jet ski. I feel like I'm competent enough but who knows? Would you do it?

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I think you have no choice but to ride that bad boy.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

A_B wrote:I think you have no choice but to ride that bad boy.
You're not Giff...
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote:I think you have no choice but to ride that bad boy.
It's a must.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I opened the garage door and started it up, then sat there for 30 seconds imagining getting it stuck in the lake and having to dig it out surrounded by gators. Then I shut it off and decided to masturbate and have a glass of wine and a bath.

Then masturbate again.

Feel free to tell the story differently for my eulogy though.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote:I opened the garage door and started it up, then sat there for 30 seconds imagining getting it stuck in the lake and having to dig it out surrounded by gators. Then I shut it off and decided to masturbate and have a glass of wine and a bath.

Then masturbate again.

Feel free to tell the story differently for my eulogy though.
Jerloma was nothing if not one for opening doors for himself. He was a self-starter. He was contemplative, often taking time to consider the future, bleak though it may have seemed. He did have fears of failures, however - of being surrounded by those who would mean him harm, even if it were only because of the most basic impulses shared by those less knowledgeable than himself. You might say he feared being devoured by the simpler of society whose beliefs stretch back thousands of years and fail to consider the world outside their own dark confines.

He knew when to take a step back. He was a man who did find pleasure in being alone but would often stop to fire off e-mails to close family members in furious bursts. He took pleasure in the fruits of nature, no matter how long it might take them to reach their true calling and partake only when appropriate personal cleansing was necessary.

And one thing was true. He loved himself some more every day.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Nice eulogy. And you're a pussy. I would have wimped out too. But in a 30 mph ride on the four wheeler.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I would have drank wine and masturbated while riding that four wheeler.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.