Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Temporary Television

Post by Pruitt »

Amy Schumer's new season is abysmal - every skit seems to be about her travails as a celebrity. Unwatchable.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

That is too bad, because there is plenty potential comedy on the travails of success and celebrity. One of my fav jokes from last year, she is on the phone with a friend and says, "I wanna get my dick wet tonight, but I don't know if I'm too famous to be on Tinder."
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I think she's too famous to do a show on Comedy Central now...combined with trying to take political stances (which is not something that she has figured out how to execute well) isn't working as well.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Giff wrote:B
Most networks would never give it a shot, but FX has John Landgraf being willing to take chances much more frequently than most network execs (chedda and I now light a candle in memory of "Terriers", a couple other Swampers solemnly nod).
http://deadline.com/2016/06/terriers-re ... 201771238/
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:
Giff wrote:B
Most networks would never give it a shot, but FX has John Landgraf being willing to take chances much more frequently than most network execs (chedda and I now light a candle in memory of "Terriers", a couple other Swampers solemnly nod).
http://deadline.com/2016/06/terriers-re ... 201771238/
I don't know if I want them to leave it alone, or make a whole series of movies.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Too short to leave it alone, IMO.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Hee hee hee ...
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Anyone ever watch Danger 5?

Australian series from a few years ago, and now on Netflix. Campy WWII spy team, that of course takes place in the 60s for the first series, 80s for the second.

Great fun.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I had a bunch of Inside Amy Schumers saved up. It must've been the very lowered expectations, but I've enjoyed them. The interviews with the sociopath and the nun were both great.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Samantha Bee is talented and all, and Full Frontal is certainly timely with its satire, but after four episodes I watched so far, the next time I laugh out loud will be my first.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So Dr. Who is free on Amazon Prime Video. Sat down with my son to watch season 1/episode 1 last night. Plan is to just work the backlog...Man I hope it gets better.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

What does that mean, "work the backlog"? It's not for everyone but it's a great show to watch with kids. How old is he?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jerloma wrote:What does that mean, "work the backlog"? It's not for everyone but it's a great show to watch with kids. How old is he?
Isn't there like 40 years of shows? Backlog seems like a pretty obvious term.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

brian wrote:
Jerloma wrote:What does that mean, "work the backlog"? It's not for everyone but it's a great show to watch with kids. How old is he?
Isn't there like 40 years of shows? Backlog seems like a pretty obvious term.
Trying to figure out if he's starting with the 05 reboot or he's actually watching from season 1 in like 1960 which I wouldn't suggest because it's so dated.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Turns 10 in a month. We are working "season 1" from 2005.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

govmentchedda wrote:
L-Jam3 wrote:Now that USA is offering it On Demand in anticipation of Season 2, can I please implore you guys again to check out MR. ROBOT? It's the most excited I've been for a second season since GoT or Mad Men. I'll start its own thread when Season 2 rolls around in June, as it's certainly worth it.
I've been waiting for this to pop up somewhere! Although, who knows if I have anything available On Demand after Frontier took over for Verizon. #fuckfrontier
I watched all of season one. Very, very good show. I look forward to being behind on season two when it starts.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:
L-Jam3 wrote:Now that USA is offering it On Demand in anticipation of Season 2, can I please implore you guys again to check out MR. ROBOT? It's the most excited I've been for a second season since GoT or Mad Men. I'll start its own thread when Season 2 rolls around in June, as it's certainly worth it.
I've been waiting for this to pop up somewhere! Although, who knows if I have anything available On Demand after Frontier took over for Verizon. #fuckfrontier
I watched all of season one. Very, very good show. I look forward to being behind on season two when it starts.
Also included with Amazon Prime...
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I'm looking for a new show. I'll certainly check out Mr Robot. Although I can't get Amazon Prime on the Apple TV because they're dicks to each other but I'm guessing there is a USA app on there although I've never used it.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I started watching Veep and halfway through the first season I love it.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

It keeps getting better too.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

This season has been killing it.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I'm guessing at this point that she ends up being Tom's VP.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Jerloma wrote:I'm guessing at this point that she ends up being Tom's VP.
I was thinking that she could end up - Sarah palin style - at a cable news network as a no nothing commentator for half a season or so. Ample material there.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I know I'm way behind the times, but damn I'm disappointed "Togetherness" got cancelled.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Rush2112 wrote:I know I'm way behind the times, but damn I'm disappointed "Togetherness" got cancelled.
Right? It's really good.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

govmentchedda wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:I know I'm way behind the times, but damn I'm disappointed "Togetherness" got cancelled.
Right? It's really good.
Yup. I like the Duplass brother's stuff, sad it took me this long to watch it. I just got first couple episodes of season 2 (the welcome home party.)

I don't know why HBO cancels shows like this, not like they are that expensive, they don't care about ratings for advertising, and they are still going to sell some DVDs and shit.

Oh, and the musical choices are on point, as are Amanda Peet's tatas.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Need to be able to pay for Game Of Thrones. One battle scene in one ep probably would pay for an entire season of Togetherness.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

brian wrote:Need to be able to pay for Game Of Thrones. One battle scene in one ep probably would pay for an entire season of Togetherness.
I understand that they need to pay for the expensive shows, but there are tons of people who basically subscribe to HBO for GoT and the other Sunday offerings. They don't need great ratings across the board, they aren't beholden to advertisers. They could show a plant growing 6 days a week just because of the ratings and DVD sales for GoT.

It was a cheap show that got great reviews, and evidently not that stellar ratings. HBO of all places should be able to let a show mature. Hell, they were making expensive ass GoT shows the first season, when not everyone was watching.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I have a friend at HBO, he thinks their financing decisions regarding programing are beyond explanation. i.e. Vinyl.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote:I started watching Veep and halfway through the first season I love it.
I watched Season 1 when it first came out, then we got rid of HBO. Based on the love in the thread, I just went back and watched Season 2. Loved it, definitely going to watch them all.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Rush2112 wrote:
brian wrote:Need to be able to pay for Game Of Thrones. One battle scene in one ep probably would pay for an entire season of Togetherness.
I understand that they need to pay for the expensive shows, but there are tons of people who basically subscribe to HBO for GoT and the other Sunday offerings. They don't need great ratings across the board, they aren't beholden to advertisers. They could show a plant growing 6 days a week just because of the ratings and DVD sales for GoT.

It was a cheap show that got great reviews, and evidently not that stellar ratings. HBO of all places should be able to let a show mature. Hell, they were making expensive ass GoT shows the first season, when not everyone was watching.
Right this is the same reason sports channels pay through the nose for sports. If you have read the book about ESPN (the oral history one), the success was clearly built on having the variety of sports that passionate people will call their cable providers. It would not surprise me one bit if we find out their is collusion in bidding on TV deals in live sports (okay I will take hockey, you get the nba, and we will get the olympic sports off season).
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I assume there's some master cut online of every insult they've directed at Jonah. If not that would be awesome.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

This season alone would be epic. His uncle had some of the best, along with Dan.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

duff wrote:This season alone would be epic. His uncle had some of the best, along with Dan.
Here's from a couple of years ago.

Jonah Insults From Last Year's Finale

My favorite line may have been when Jonah's uncle yelled that he could get AIDS elected in New Hampshire.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I can't wait to start watching that show.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

The Sybian wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:I started watching Veep and halfway through the first season I love it.
I watched Season 1 when it first came out, then we got rid of HBO. Based on the love in the thread, I just went back and watched Season 2. Loved it, definitely going to watch them all.
I could have purchased the seasons for $24 each via Amazon or I could have subscribed to HBO for $17 a month and downloaded seasons 3-5. I did the latter, and am now in season 4. What a great show. I'll probably keep HBO and watch the Newsroom and then dump it.

ETA: The episode in season 3 where politics and the personal trainer collide was one of my favorite episodes of any show.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

govmentchedda wrote:
Right? It's really good.
Finished up the series today (watching files restore is very exciting!!) Glad that things turned out the way that they did I just wish it wasn't in the last 15 minutes of the series.

Plus I must reiterate that the music selection was brilliant throughout.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Catastrophe from Channel 4 is pretty good.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rush2112 wrote:Catastrophe from Channel 4 is pretty good.
Or for those of us over here in the United States, it's on Amazon Prime.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote:
The Sybian wrote:
I could have purchased the seasons for $24 each via Amazon or I could have subscribed to HBO for $17 a month and downloaded seasons 3-5. I did the latter, and am now in season 4. What a great show. I'll probably keep HBO and watch the Newsroom and then dump it.

ETA: The episode in season 3 where politics and the personal trainer collide was one of my favorite episodes of any show.
Pretty sure Newsroom is free on Amazon Prime. If you haven't seen The Wire, it is on the short list for best show ever.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt