Dollar Shave Club?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Dollar Shave Club?

Post by psunate77 »

Anyone use it? Tried it? if so do you recommend it?

I have to shave every 2-3 days. Winter I usually grow a bit, but summer I find it very annoying to have facial hair. I have a pro fushion, but blades are so expensive. Thinking about trying this. It does get good reviews.
sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Dollar Shave Club?

Post by sancarlos »

I use it. Blades aren't quite as good, but are quite acceptable and much cheaper. Go for it.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I am a customer.
Use my referal code---http://shaved.by/dSDF3

On the other hand you can buy handles and blades directly from their supplier. Just don't get them sent monthly.
http://www.dorcousa.com/
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

This is like the ninth dollar shave club Thread. I tried Harry's and did not care for their razors at all. But D.SC. May be diff.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A_B wrote:This is like the ninth dollar shave club Thread. I tried Harry's and did not care for their razors at all. But D.SC. May be diff.
A_B wrote:OK. I need to mea culpa up in here. I think the first time I had a little more scruff than usual, because ever since, the Harry's blades have been really good. So never mind, definitely wil buy again (though I have close to a years supply I think).
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Yeah. I was wrong. Did not like. I think there was inconsistency in the blades.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

So, double mea culpa.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Wea culpa?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Harry's has a better quality handle and blades, IMO. I was using DSC and I still have it for my son (high schooler.)

The key as pointed out above is to adjust the frequency of shipping. You don't need new blades every month, unless you're doing something weird with your razor.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Are these razors comparable to Mach 3's or whatever?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

P.D.X. wrote:Are these razors comparable to Mach 3's or whatever?
They have three different offerings. But, yes.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I use them. I like their products. They also shipped to APO. But I feel like I have to cancel because I have too many blades even with the every other month frequency.

Despite being 32 and needing to be within military regs, I still can get away with shaving 3 times a week. If I'm only shaving 12 times in a month (average), 4 blades last a long, long time.

I didn't do the math, but I'm sure I could save money by sticking with the overpriced Gillette stuff because of how infrequently I shave.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I think the top level Dollar Shave club is slightly better than my old Mach 3 but not as good as the Fusion. However, I use the DSC executive because of the price per value math. I don't cut myself with it and get consistent blades. I got a free Harry's for Movember....like DSC better. The thing I like most about DSC's blades are the consistency. I get mixed quality from Gillette. Sometimes a great package and sometimes really low quality (wonder if I am getting knockoffs).

I go every other month with DSC and still have a few too many blades and I shave 6 days a week with a pretty tough beard.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

So, like 3 times/week shaving is infrequent enough that there's no price break?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

P.D.X. wrote:So, like 3 times/week shaving is infrequent enough that there's no price break?
They don't give you a price break, but you can receive blades every other month instead of every month. Still much cheaper than Gillette off the shelf.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I looked at my history. Over the course of a year plus I have received 6 razor blade shipments. The executive (6 blades) the first time and the 4x 5 times. (I swear I got another executive before that, but I'll go with what's listed.)

$39 in total since March of last year. In the drawer in my bathroom I have 5 packs. 4 packs unused and 2 blades left over from another, also unused.

So, since last March I've used 6 of 24 blades. An 8 count of Gillette Fusion blades is $28. So, I definitely have many more blades to show for my purchase, and at this rate I'm good for another 42 months. But I don't think I'd have too much heartburn if I stuck with Gillette blades.

But that's me. And no, my face doesn't break out and my razors are not grimey. Dollar Shave Club recommends a blade a week, but that seems wasteful.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

sancarlos wrote:
P.D.X. wrote:So, like 3 times/week shaving is infrequent enough that there's no price break?
They don't give you a price break, but you can receive blades every other month instead of every month. Still much cheaper than Gillette off the shelf.
Once again, if you are trying to go for the best value. Just buy from Dorco. The plus 6 is the same as the DSC's Executive. You get the same product and you buy when you want, not monthly. You can get 24 blades for $34.80 (Daily Shave Club would be $9 per shipment of 4 blades). The initial handle is $6. However, to optimize is you signup for 1 month DSC. Get the free handle and 4 blades. Cancel and then buy direct from Dorco.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nonlinear FC wrote:Harry's has a better quality handle and blades, IMO. I was using DSC and I s...have ... my son (high schooler.)

The key as pointed out above is ... doing something weird with your razor.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote:
Nonlinear FC wrote:Harry's has a better quality handle and blades, IMO. I was using DSC and I s...have ... my son (high schooler.)

The key as pointed out above is ... doing something weird with your razor.

I'm honored?

/Ron Burgundy
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

wlu_lax6 wrote:
sancarlos wrote:
Once again, if you are trying to go for the best value. Just buy from Dorco. The plus 6 is the same as the DSC's Executive. You get the same product and you buy when you want, not monthly. You can get 24 blades for $34.80 (Daily Shave Club would be $9 per shipment of 4 blades). The initial handle is $6. However, to optimize is you signup for 1 month DSC. Get the free handle and 4 blades. Cancel and then buy direct from Dorco.

Yeah, for both Harry's and DSC you can just discontinue the service. The catch is that I *think* when/if you re-up you have to buy another handle. I'm not sure about that.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

So much for the enterprising little guy sticking it to the man.

Hope Alejandra gets a golden parachute.

Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Johnny Carwash wrote:So much for the enterprising little guy sticking it to the man.

Hope Alejandra gets a golden parachute.

He is staying on as CEO. But this was an interesting part of that article:

"Dollar Shave Club, which isn’t profitable, said it has signed up 3.2 million members for its mail-order service that ships out disposable razors and other grooming products for a flat monthly fee. "

Does Unilever think their machine can make it worth that much?

(Also, for anyone not a subscriber to the WSJ, there is a backdoor into every one of their articles. Just do a google search for the exact headline, and when you click the link on the search results it takes you to the full story.)
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I should have been sending $8 a month for shares instead of blades.

Have a sneaking suspicion that things will soon be changing at the DSC. Wonder if Harry's delivers up north?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Pruitt wrote:I should have been sending $8 a month for shares instead of blades.

Have a sneaking suspicion that things will soon be changing at the DSC. Wonder if Harry's delivers up north?
Harry's just upgraded their razors. Still a DSC customer because ....guess I just picked them.
https://closer.harrys.com/
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I'll probably buy them again now that they have the 5th blade. That shit spoiled me.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

"Dollar Shave Club, which isn’t profitable, said it has signed up 3.2 million members…
They make it up on volume…
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Any company can be "not profitable" if they decide to pay themselves or others a lot in bonuses.