Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: 2016 NFL Offseason Thread

Post by The Sybian »

Gunpowder wrote:
The Sybian wrote:
Gunpowder wrote:Of course, that's ignoring the 100,000 Iraqis that have been killed while we wonder "why do they hate us?".
Questioning that America bears any responsibility for anti-American sentiments in Unamerican! You have been brainwashed by your Librul Book-learnin' that American exceptionalism isn't real. America is always right, so if we do something horrible, it must be good, because America did it. They hate us because they are evil. Nothing more. We need to keep killing them until they understand how good and right we are.

Well it was always good. It's not now and we're trying to make it that way again.
Could you imagine if Obama ran on a slogan of "Make America Great Again"? When Bush was President, it was treasonous to question whether we should invade Iraq, because questioning a President's decision disrespected the office. President Obama? Congressman is hailed for screaming "you lie," 8 years questioning his citizenship, his religion, his affiliation/cooperation/membership with terrorist organizations, he is a communist/fascist/dictator/ineffective weakling...

OK, we need the football season to start.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Sounds like Teddy Bridgewater blowed up his leg in practice today.

Landing spot for Kaep?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote:Just need the Green Bay PD to aim at one of the five black people in GB and accidentally hit Aaron Rodgers and all of the sudden the Lions have a chance in the NFC North.
This post makes me sad because it is very likely true.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
brian wrote:Just need the Green Bay PD to aim at one of the five black people in GB and accidentally hit Aaron Rodgers and all of the sudden the Lions have a chance in the NFC North.
This post makes me sad because it is very likely true.
As of today, it has been 1,339 days since the Chicago Bears defeated the Detroit Lions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

So, I read a Slate article regarding the Malcolm X and Fidel Castro shirt Kaep was wearing, but it's Slate and didn't try to connect the point of the shirt with Kaep's stand. Conservative sites are going apeshit because of the obvious. Why not just wear a Jackie Robinson shirt or one with John Carlos and Tommie Smith?

Sooooo...why did he wear that shirt?

Edit:

Looks like the Chargers/49ers preseason game is a big ol' military circle jerk.

If he sits, he's going to be treated harshly. If he stands he'll be told he folds under pressure. No win situation there.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Wow. Talk about a worst-case scenario for Kaepernick.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

It just occurred to me that the Broncos might have an opportunity to extract some value in trade from the Vikings, while also dumping Mark Sanchez's salary. What a world!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote:It just occurred to me that the Broncos might have an opportunity to extract some value in trade from the Vikings, while also dumping Mark Sanchez's salary. What a world!

I doubt they'd get very much at all for him, since pretty much everyone knows they want to cut him.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

DaveInSeattle wrote:Sounds like Teddy Bridgewater blowed up his leg in practice today.

Landing spot for Kaep?
I think that would be a really good fit for both sides. The Vikings have no experienced QBs other than Shaun Hill on their roster. And with their defense and running game, that's a spot Kaepernick could succeed. But who knows if the Vikings' GM is one of the team execs who have been anonymously bashing Kaepernick to the press. One particularly courageous GM reportedly called him a "traitor," while, of course, refusing to put his name on his comments. (Presumably because he knows that players currently on his roster or who he'll eventually pursue as free agents will be sympathetic to Kaepernick's views.)
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Calling someone a traitor for this is like calling someone a pedophile for saying a kid is cute.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Good analogy.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Gunpowder wrote:Calling someone a traitor for this is like calling someone a pedophile for saying a kid is cute.
I also liked Boomer Esiason saying, "It's about as disrespectful as any athlete has ever been." Even if you give Boomer the benefit of the doubt that he was implying "during the competition" at the end of that sentence, Mike Tyson bit his opponent's ear off! I'd feel a lot more "disrespected" if someone bit off my ear, spit in my face, or dove at my knees than I would if they quietly stayed seated for a song. I was already hoping to cut back a lot on my NFL viewing this season. And frankly, the over the top, faux patriotic and conformist bullshit so many associated with the league are spewing is making that a lot easier.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nothing makes it move for Boomer more than silent conformist teammates.

Source: Time spent listening to his WFAN morning show
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote:
sancarlos wrote:It just occurred to me that the Broncos might have an opportunity to extract some value in trade from the Vikings, while also dumping Mark Sanchez's salary. What a world!
I doubt they'd get very much at all for him, since pretty much everyone knows they want to cut him.
Yesterday, Sanchez was quoted with some pretty obsequious, "right" things to say. So, apparently he's trying to stay on as a backup. Not the worst idea for the Broncos, if they don't crave the cap room.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

sancarlos wrote:Yesterday, Sanchez was quoted with some pretty obsequious, "right" things to say. So, apparently he's trying to stay on as a backup. Not the worst idea for the Broncos, if they ... crave ...p...oo...
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Joe K wrote:
Gunpowder wrote:Calling someone a traitor for this is like calling someone a pedophile for saying a kid is cute.
I also liked Boomer Esiason saying, "It's about as disrespectful as any athlete has ever been." Even if you give Boomer the benefit of the doubt that he was implying "during the competition" at the end of that sentence, Mike Tyson bit his opponent's ear off! I'd feel a lot more "disrespected" if someone bit off my ear, spit in my face, or dove at my knees than I would if they quietly stayed seated for a song. I was already hoping to cut back a lot on my NFL viewing this season. And frankly, the over the top, faux patriotic and conformist bullshit so many associated with the league are spewing is making that a lot easier.
Is making a political protest more disrespectful than taking out someone's knees?

Or juicing on steroids or HGH in order to get an advantage over other athletes?

What a moron.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I enjoyed the GM's quote a little more just given the industry he works in and position he holds.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

#VeteransForKaepernick warms my heart, but I'm sure it'll trigger some unnecessary briefings down the line about making political statements in uniform.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Johnnie wrote:#VeteransForKaepernick warms my heart, but I'm sure it'll trigger some unnecessary briefings down the line about making political statements in uniform.
Isn't the assumption that they are all retired, or have I messed up the definition of "veteran"?

(After reading your posts here for years, I had the same thought about political statements in uniform)
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

govmentchedda wrote:
Johnnie wrote:#VeteransForKaepernick warms my heart, but I'm sure it'll trigger some unnecessary briefings down the line about making political statements in uniform.
Isn't the assumption that they are all retired, or have I messed up the definition of "veteran"?

(After reading your posts here for years, I had the same thought about political statements in uniform)
A quick google search doesn't really answer the question definitively. Link #2 is a blog post where an active duty serviceman was reprimanded by a retired Korean War vet, and Link #3 implies that any person who served for any amount of time is a veteran.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

If you get a discounted meal at Applebee's on Veteran's Day, you're a veteran.

(Literally, "if you've ever served" makes you a vet, but for the longest time while I was in I still thought I had to be separated in one way or another to be one.)
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Johnnie wrote:If you get a discounted meal at Applebee's on Veteran's Day, you're a veteran.

(Literally, "if you've ever served" makes you a vet, but for the longest time while I was in I still thought I had to be separated in one way or another to be one.)
That was my earlier understanding, but "if you've ever served" makes more sense.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

govmentchedda wrote:
Johnnie wrote:If you get a discounted meal at Applebee's on Veteran's Day, you're a veteran.

That was my earlier understanding, but "if you've ever served" makes more sense.
What we're giving participation ribbons in the Military now?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1743 ... kaepernick

Nate Boyer, a former Green Beret and Seattle Seahawks long snapper, penned an open letter to San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick on Tuesday evening, defending his right to protest racial inequality in the United States by sitting during the playing of the national anthem.

Later, in an interview with SportsCenter, Boyer said that after he listened to Kaepernick's reasoning for his protest, "not only does he every right to do that, but I respect him. It was incredibly brave what he did."

God, someone please set up a debate between this dude and a non-military conservative commentator. Pleeeeeeease.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

And, this is a guy who has won a playoff game. He's clearly a talented QB with a place in this league.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Shit, sorry...thought we were talking about Tebow for a second.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Gunpowder wrote:Shit, sorry...thought we were talking about Tebow for a second.
And to bring it full circle, if Tebow had done this because of some feigned religious indignation like "the government doesn't recognize my faith in Jesus enough so I'm not standing up for that anthem until they do something about it", the same people would be falling all over themselves to suck him off for standing up to big bad Sharia Law Obama.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

BSF21 wrote:
And to bring it full circle, if Tebow had done this because of some feigned religious indignation like "the government doesn't recognize my faith in Jesus enough so I'm not standing up for that anthem until they do something about it", the same people would be falling all over themselves to suck him off for standing up to big bad Sharia Law Obama.
That's an impossible scenario to even imagine.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

sancarlos wrote:
BSF21 wrote:
The part about him being in a place that would require him to stand for the national anthem? Or do you seriously doubt the dissonance of people who equate patriotism to religion in this country?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

BSF21 wrote:
sancarlos wrote:
BSF21 wrote:
The part about him being in a place that would require him to stand for the national anthem? Or do you seriously doubt the dissonance of people who equate patriotism to religion in this country?
I cannot imagine a scenario in which Tim Tebow refused to stand for the national anthem.
SportsDoc
Brandt

Post by SportsDoc »

That's how my SIL viewed it too. When he was active duty, for those 6 years he did not consider himself a Veteran. Now that he's out, he does. He always said, "My Dad's a Vet, I'm not. I'm active duty."
"All men can stand adversity. If you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Somehow I just realized that a portion of the people calling Kaepernick a "traitor" probably proudly display a Confederate flag somewhere, which just represents "heritage" and doesn't represent the actual physical act of taking up arms against the United States.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
TheHumanComa
Brandt

Post by TheHumanComa »

DaveInSeattle wrote:Sounds like Teddy Bridgewater blowed up his leg in practice today.

Landing spot for Kaep?
God Damn it! I was looking forward to this season too! I could cheer for Shaun Hill, hell, I'd even buy a Jersey and finally have a reason for wearing a jersey with my last name on it. Go Hill!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

howard wrote:
Also:

Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

There really are much better ways to express dissatisfaction with the government, though. Why didn't he just arm himself and take over a government building in Oregon? He didn't put much thought into this.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Gunpowder wrote:There really are much better ways to express dissatisfaction with the government, though. Why didn't he just arm himself and take over a government building in Oregon? He didn't put much thought into this.
That tactic only works with angry old white men. A tattooed black guy wouldn't stand a chance. (No pun intended.)
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Sabo wrote:
Gunpowder wrote:There really are much better ways to express dissatisfaction with the government, though. Why didn't he just arm himself and take over a government building in Oregon? He didn't put much thought into this.
That tactic only works with angry old white men. A tattooed black guy wouldn't stand a chance. (No pun intended.)
A closer real life analogy is that during the Obama presidency, at least one star white athlete (Tim Thomas) skipped the team's White House visit as an overt anti-Obama protest. Many people believe that's what Tom Brady did also as he claimed to have "family commitments" but was then spotted working out at the team facility. We're supposed to respect the office of the Presidency (at least when there's a white, GOP President), so other than the obvious what makes Kaep's actions so different from those guys?
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…