Phones & Cases And Such

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Phones & Cases And Such

Post by A_B »

I took the plunge and upgraded to the Iphone 6 Plus. I have been a loyal lifeproof case user for over 3 years and they have absolutely paid for themselves. So I am leaning towards just getting the lifeproof but wanted to put it out there to see if anyone has had success with soemthing else?

I don't get it wet, but I drop it a fair amount, typically just when getting it out of my pocket. Other than stopping being a total clumsy doof, I try to take care of it.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Mr. C
Jackie Treehorn

Re: Phones & Cases And Such

Post by Mr. C »

My Father-in-law had to return his first i-6 lifeproof case because of a defect, but as with all other lifeproof returns they were totally cool about it. His second case works fine.

I do hope they improved the touch-id cover. That is definitely the weak link on my i-5 case.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Mr. C wrote:My Father-in-law had to return his first i-6 lifeproof case because of a defect, but as with all other lifeproof returns they were totally cool about it. His second case works fine.

I do hope they improved the touch-id cover. That is definitely the weak link on my i-5 case.

The review I saw said it was an improved Touch ID interface.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I've gone otter box with my last three phones. I've got no complaints. The defender series is a little too big for my pocket. I like the commuter series better. I believe they will replace any case that breaks for free, but I haven't had that issue.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Lifeproof owns Otterbox (or the other way around) now. Are they still separate brands?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I've certainly been happy with my Otterbox. And, unless they've moved - given what Ryan told us, I also like the fact that Otterbox is (was?) from Fort Collins, Colorado. My favorite town in the country.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I use a case I found on the floor of a dollar store. They didn't have anything remotely similar on the shelf, but the cashier shrugged his shoulders and sold it to me. Works great!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

govmentchedda wrote:I've gone otter box with my last three phones. I've got no complaints. The defender series is a little too big for my pocket. I like the commuter series better. I believe they will replace any case that breaks for free, but I haven't had that issue.
We've used 5 or 6 different OtterBox products, and our devices have survived every drop. One OtterBox caseon an iPad broke after it was dropped and they did send a free replacement for it.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

phxgators wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:I've gone otter box with my last three phones. I've got no complaints. The defender series is a little too big for my pocket. I like the commuter series better. I believe they will replace any case that breaks for free, but I haven't had that issue.
We've used 5 or 6 different OtterBox products, and our devices have survived every drop. One OtterBox caseon an iPad broke after it was dropped and they did send a free replacement for it.
Then you're my fact checkin' cuz.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

I threw my iPod in an Otterbox defender case across the room at the end of the Cowboys/Packers game.

It came through unscathed. ;)
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Does the job from a protection standpoint but not a fan of the otterbox. Like their customer support and replacement policy but the rubber bumper case stretched out over time and became unusable and the holster clip cracked very quickly (an I only used it on very rare occasions). Probably going with a different brand next time.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

wlu_lax6 wrote:Does the job from a protection standpoint but not a fan of the otterbox. Like their customer support and replacement policy but the rubber bumper case stretched out over time and became unusable and the holster clip cracked very quickly (an I only used it on very rare occasions). Probably going with a different brand next time.
Yeah I didn't care for the rubberyness. Much preferred the lifeproof's smooth plastic. The 6 Plus case for the life proof went out of stock pretty much immediately, and my phone is to be delivered today. So I went with a highly rated but less expensive model from Spigen. Something that I won't feel bad replacing with a lifeproof if I don't care for it. Got good drop ratings though so that's important.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

AB_skin_test wrote:
wlu_lax6 wrote:Does the job from a protection standpoint but not a fan of the otterbox. Like their customer support and replacement policy but the rubber bumper case stretched out over time and became unusable and the holster clip cracked very quickly (an I only used it on very rare occasions). Probably going with a different brand next time.
Yeah I didn't care for the rubberyness. Much preferred the lifeproof's smooth plastic. The 6 Plus case for the life proof went out of stock pretty much immediately, and my phone is to be delivered today. So I went with a highly rated but less expensive model from Spigen. Something that I won't feel bad replacing with a lifeproof if I don't care for it. Got good drop ratings though so that's important.
The commuter series from Otterbox resolved this problem for me. It's mostly smooth, where the defender series is mostly rubbery.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

govmentchedda wrote:The...box...is...smooth...the d...is...rubbery.
No wax for this cheese.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I guess I'm about ready to give up and get a smart phone. We have a house full of Apple devices, and I'm aware of/comfortable with what I can and can't do in iOS is there any compelling reason to consider looking outside the iPhone?
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

There is not.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Ryan wrote:There is not.
If you like the Google interface and want to spend half the price of an iPhone, there is.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

If you are using iTunes with other devices, you'd probably want to to keep your music on the phone on the same platform.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

sancarlos wrote:If you are using iTunes with other devices, you'd probably want to to keep your music on the phone on the same platform.
Should I have added that fucking I hate iTunes?

On the occasions that I need to listen to purchased music (when I run), I would probably keep the ipod around.
Brontoburglar wrote:
Ryan wrote:There is not.
If you like the Google interface and want to spend half the price of an iPhone, there is.
The big name Androids are as expensive as the 6, and certainly more expensive than the SE (which is what I'm looking at).

What do you recommend? I guess the only feature I truly give a shit about is a better than decent camera.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I'm an iPhone guy but as more options to get music and media become available(currently Amazon prime has 70% of stuff I have already on my phone) the pull to stay that way diminishes.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

rass wrote:
The big name Androids are as expensive as the 6, and certainly more expensive than the SE (which is what I'm looking at).

What do you recommend? I guess the only feature I truly give a shit about is a better than decent camera.
The Nexus 5x or 6P. Those are the Google phones. They are "vanilla" Android, meaning there are no skins on it (Samsung and others have their own interface that they load on top of Android) and there are no pre-installed apps except the Google Apps. And you can delete whatever you want. A lot of other phones you can't delete the pre-installed shit on.

And the 5X is $350.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Brontoburglar wrote:
The Nexus 5x or 6P. Those are the Google phones. They are "vanilla" Android, meaning there are no skins on it (Samsung and others have their own interface that they load on top of Android) and there are no pre-installed apps except the Google Apps. And you can delete whatever you want. A lot of other phones you can't delete the pre-installed shit on.

You can also very easily root most Android phones and install a "lite" version of Android such as Cyangenmod or the like. One of the bad things about my being issued a state property phone for work (and personal) use is that I can't root it and am stuck with the pre-installed Samsung shit.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

I got a Nexus 5 less than a year ago. Right at $200. Does all smartphone stuff great but the phone sucks a little. Nexus 4 had a much, much better phone and I use it for talking as much as anything else. The google/nexus phones get all android updates pretty much immediately so you are always on a great os. Recommend.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Rush2112 wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:

You can also very easily root most Android phones and install a "lite" version of Android such as Cyangenmod or the like. One of the bad things about my being issued a state property phone for work (and personal) use is that I can't root it and am stuck with the pre-installed Samsung shit.
You have to be fairly savvy to root a phone. It's not something I would recommend to anyone who isn't too tech-savvy or not great at following directions. If you're going to go with plain Android, there's no sense in buying a non-Nexus phone to root it unless you have a burning desire to do that.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Well, as do most things, the decision came down to $$$ and adding a line to my wife's Verizon account and adjusting the data plan was the cheapest option, by at least $30/month. I went with the iPhone SE, which is back-ordered so I'm still a caveman for another month or so. Thanks for the advice everyone.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote:Well, as do most things, the decision came down to $$$ and adding a line to my wife's Verizon account and adjusting the data plan was the cheapest option, by at least $30/month. I went with the iPhone SE, which is back-ordered so I'm still a caveman for another month or so. Thanks for the advice everyone.
I think that's the smartest thing. Get the outlay as low as possible. They most all are similar in what they can do these days for 99% of users who don't want the worry of rooting anything.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

After spending 5 days with my new phone I'm so fucking lazy and can't be bothered with this password shit on the iPad why can't I use my finger print to login I don't have time for his shit.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

So my current phone is on its last legs with the battery randomly dying after minimal use. I want to get another of the same one (Google Nexus 5), but it's not one of the available options from my carrier (T-Mobile; I use a pay-as-you-go plan and don't want to change since it works best for my relatively low rate of use).

I see where I can buy an unlocked Nexus 5 directly from Google, but wouldn't know how to get it to work with my current service and number.

Is this possible? Is it easy? I have no real idea and can't expect any help from my carrier, who loves to obfuscate the everloving fuck out of things if you're not directly giving them more money.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Take the SIM card out of the bad one. Put it in the new one. Give the IMEI to T-Mobile.

Fin.

Before coming back to America I bought a Google Nexus 6 on Amazon. Returning to America I walked into an AT&T store in Virginia where I was visiting friends. (I've had my cell phone plan on military hold since before Korea up to this point.) They reactivated my account on the spot and I was golden. It should be the same for T Mobile because it's the SIM card. I've been doing the unlocked cell phone thing since 2008-ish.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Shit, here I was opening the back of my phone to try to find the SIM card to no avail, thinking it maybe didn't have one, then looking it up to realize it popped out from the side.

Thanks Johnnie. Sounds straightforward enough. If I'm getting the exact same phone model as I have now, there wouldn't be a chance the IMEI wouldn't be accepted by the carrier, would there?
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Johnny Carwash wrote:Shit, here I was opening the back of my phone to try to find the SIM card to no avail, thinking it maybe didn't have one, then looking it up to realize it popped out from the side.

Thanks Johnnie. Sounds straightforward enough. If I'm getting the exact same phone model as I have now, there wouldn't be a chance the IMEI wouldn't be accepted by the carrier, would there?
If this were a agile ago, maybe. But these days unlocked phones are quite mainstream so you shouldn't have a problem.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Johnny Carwash wrote:So my current phone is on its last legs with the battery randomly dying after minimal use. I want to get another of the same one (Google Nexus 5), but it's not one of the available options from my carrier (T-Mobile; I use a pay-as-you-go plan and don't want to change since it works best for my relatively low rate of use).

I see where I can buy an unlocked Nexus 5 directly from Google, but wouldn't know how to get it to work with my current service and number.

Is this possible? Is it easy? I have no real idea and can't expect any help from my carrier, who loves to obfuscate the everloving fuck out of things if you're not directly giving them more money.
Same phone and carrier. Cracked mine up and shards are starting to come loose. Will probably just get the same thing. Let me know what kind of deal you find.
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

when are you getting phones for your swamp offspring?

flaco jr just started 5th grade.. more independent -- taking the bus for the first time and all that.
he has uses of a laptop (his) and old tablets/phones at home (Samsung Tab2, and an S2) on wifi around the house... skype and email to keep touch with friends and family far and close...(of course, i control all acces.. his email is on gmail and goes thru my account... plus i know all the passwords)

thinking of dropping a feature phone on him.. relatively cheap.. texting allowed.. but no web. most of folks in town seem to give out iphones and s7s to 4th grade and up.. i just don't see why that's good (and i'm cheap).

when do swamp jrs get a phone? difference in gender?
enlighten me please!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

elflaco wrote:when are you getting phones for your swamp offspring?

flaco jr just started 5th grade.. more independent -- taking the bus for the first time and all that.
he has uses of a laptop (his) and old tablets/phones at home (Samsung Tab2, and an S2) on wifi around the house... skype and email to keep touch with friends and family far and close...(of course, i control all acces.. his email is on gmail and goes thru my account... plus i know all the passwords)

thinking of dropping a feature phone on him.. relatively cheap.. texting allowed.. but no web. most of folks in town seem to give out iphones and s7s to 4th grade and up.. i just don't see why that's good (and i'm cheap).

when do swamp jrs get a phone? difference in gender?
enlighten me please!
Mine are in 3rd and 5th grade (and preschool). All boys. The big two have ipods, but not phones.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Mine are in 10th and 8th. No smart phones. They got flip phones last year to help coordinate after-school pickups, but that's it.
Totally Kafkaesque
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

My fifth grader is begging for a phone. She has access to my laptop, the iPad, tablet and my wife's old phone on WiFi at home. We keep tabs on all apps and communication. No email for either of the girls or texting from any device, unless it is on my phone or the wife's phone. When they get their license is probably when they will get a phone.

No way am I dropping $300+ on a device that they will either lose or break in less then 6 months. I do like the ideas of flip phones. That may work, and I can get some cheap ones online.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

My 9th grader has a Galaxy (the waterproof one). His first true smartphone. He had his first phone in 6th grade.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Man I'd be horrified to be you guys. It seems like a tough question all around.

Shirley, do they complain about not having phones, especially the 10th grader? It seems from the outside looking in that almost every kid in high school has one and is constantly taking pictures of themselves. Not saying that yours would be a complainer, just hard to imagine in this day and age.

My dad's sister constantly broke he and his brothers balls about giving their kids phones so early (smartphones weren't a thing until I was grown, but my sister definitely had one in HS) and the shit was just non stop. She gave her twins their first phones when they were 11 and acted like it was no big deal.

It's very interesting from the perspective of someone currently childfree.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

tennbengal wrote:My 9th grader has a Galaxy (the waterproof one). His first true smartphone. He had his first phone in 6th grade.
Similar for us. We used AT&T Go-Phones starting in about sixth grade. They were free and you only had to pay for minutes used. We got our daughter an iPhone for Christmas when she was 12. All her friends had them, and they are constantly communicating through snapchat and text and whatever.

We held out on my son, who is 16, until just this summer. Mostly we were afraid that he would lose it, or that the concern about him losing the phone would be a constant source of stress and conflict. But around here it seems like the boys are less likely to have the phones.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

15 and 12, both have iPhones because I'm not a god damned monster like Dave.