The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rush2112
The Dude

Re: The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Post by Rush2112 »

I'm jealous of your friend as well.

Have a college buddy that lives just outside Waterbury so he's trading Focal Banger/Heady for all sorts of shit. AND he still owes me for some beer that I sent him last year. He said he'd send me some Heady, and I told him he better send some Hill Farmstead for making me wait.

I do like some of the NE style, but the straight OJ ones are a one pint in my mind. I've been hard down the DIPA trail, so MALT as well as HOPS.

Now for a completely different style, about to put my Belgian strong in secondary. My lord that took a lot of adjunct sugar.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ever have Treehouse Julius? That's a super-duper-awesome OJ one.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote:I'm jealous of your friend as well.

Have a college buddy that lives just outside Waterbury so he's trading Focal Banger/Heady for all sorts of shit. AND he still owes me for some beer that I sent him last year. He said he'd send me some Heady, and I told him he better send some Hill Farmstead for making me wait.

I do like some of the NE style, but the straight OJ ones are a one pint in my mind. I've been hard down the DIPA trail, so MALT as well as HOPS.

Now for a completely different style, about to put my Belgian strong in secondary. My lord that took a lot of adjunct sugar.

One of the Trilliums tasted like they poured in a little OJ before bottling. My friend said Cutting Tiles DIPA is Trillium's most sought after beer. It is single hopped with Mosaic and Mosaic dry hopped, and brewed with some honey. I thought it was way too sweet and fruity. It needed more malt backbone and an additional hop to break up the one-note flavor. That said I totally get why people love this beer.

I've never seen Gunhill, do they distribute? My friend isn't into the weed IPAs, so he gave me a can of All Dank Everything. I am most psyched for that one, but it's 3 months old. Hopefully it hasn't lost much.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I've only ever seen them on tap in the city.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

mister d wrote:Ever have Treehouse Julius? That's a super-duper-awesome OJ one.
I have, and I enjoyed it. Typically I only like one (though I think I drank both cans I had back to back.)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ranked ...

1. Fiddlehead Mastetmind
2. Treehouse Green
3. Heady Topper
4. Industrial Arts State of the Art
5. Industrial Arts Vital(?)

3 vs 4 is the only slot that could be debated. Not including beer fests, this was as good as a day gets. All five easily make my top ~25 all time.

(It was a five year old's birthday party.)
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Nice.

I really like Fiddlehead.

had some Trilliums last week when I was back in MA. Very good, but I think I am more of a DIPA fan. Need some malt.

Looking forward to GABF in a few weeks. First time I've been able to hit the member's session in quite a few years.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

IF West Sixth has their IPA, I'd say give it a shot. If it's one of their others be leery. I like a lot of their stuff but the IPA is a good go-to IPA.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Tampa area beers:
I like J Dub's Poolside Kolsch and Passion Wheat out of Sarasota. You're my Boy Blue from Brew Bus out of Tampa. J Wakefield out of Miami is known for their sours. Funky Buddha Last Snow Porter is great, as is their Nib Smuggler Chocolate Milk Porter.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Vegas breweries that are there are not among our best. Of them, Tenaya Creek probably only one worth checking out. Great Basin out of Reno probably worth checking out though. Their stuff is always solid.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

As far as Maryland breweries:

I'm a big fan of Union Craft Brewing. I love the Duckpin pale ale and Double Duckpin double IPA. Everything I've had here has been good with the exception of the Old Pro, a sour-gose style, which just isn't my thing.

Flying Dog The Truth is an Imperial Double that is fantastic. That and the Double Duckpin are probably my favorite beers.

Jailbreak has a Hefeweizen called Feed the Monkey that I enjoyed the other week.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rush2112 wrote:GABF brewery list..

Any suggestions for places that fly under the radar?
I'll put in a plug for Devil's Canyon brewery, from San Carlos, California. I'm partial to their scotch ale, but Rush, I think I've mentioned before that I think you'd have a soft spot for this offering of theirs:

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Nice. We'll have to go next time I'm out your way.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

NJ: Kane is spectacular across the board

NY: To the extent I know them, its all a pass ... none of the good ones on the list

MA: Lord Hobo solid, heard good things on Night Shift, Wormtown if their DIPA is there

MD: Agreed on Union Craft ... its not upper-upper but its strong in a Victory kinda way
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

The Brew Kettle's White Rajah IPA is fairly well known and regarded as a good example of a West Coast IPA. They also make a chocolate coconut stout called Kitka that's very tasty.

Rhinegeist's Truth IPA is excellent. They also have a rye IPA called Hustle that's damn good.

MadTree's Psychopathy is another really good IPA.

Almost anything from Great Lakes Brewing Co. is good, but their Edmund Fitzgerald Porter is arguably the best example of the style. If they have their Christmas Ale available, knock back a pint or two. Avoid the Commodore Perry IPA, which I think is very bland.

Willoughby Brewing Company makes an awesome chocolate peanut butter cup coffee porter. If you have a chance, get a pint.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Second Kane. Everything they do is solid to great. They don't experiment much, but what they do is perfect.

Prison City out of Auburn NY had the #1 IPA on Paste's 247 (or whatever) IPA contest. Never even heard of them before. Haven't tried any of the other NJ breweries. Haven't been to Gaslight, but I think it is a restaurant with a small homebrew shop, and must make their own beer, too. Never even heard of Double Nickel.

I see Genesee Brewing Co on the list, their Cream Ale and Genny Ice are divine.

I'm sure you know Great Lakes well, but to add to Sabo's praise of the Edmund Porter, their Blackout Stout is outstanding, their DIPAs Chill Wave and Lake Erie Monster were both good, and their Elliot Ness Lager was one of the few lagers I actually liked.

I just looked at NY and NJ. I'll take a closer look.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Truth is a fine iPa but I don't consider it excellent.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I was caught totally off guard by Weyerbacher's Sunday Mole Stout. I periodically check Beeradvocate to see what releases are coming out, and this wasn't mentioned anywhere. I saw it pop up on Beermenu at a few shops I follow. Same base as Sunday Morning Stout, with the coffee, but instead of bourbon barrels they threw in cinnamon, cocoa and peppers. I love these Mexican hot chocolate stouts. Drinking one now, and it needs some time for the flavors to meld. Really good flavors, but they all hit separately.

Good stores sold out almost immediately. Happened to be driving through Scotch Plains and stopped in at a store that seems to get the limited releases despite having 2 year old IPAs on the shelf. While every other store keeps these hidden with a one or two bottle limit, they had 5 4-packs sitting on the shelf.

In other news, Dogfish Head 120 hit stores this week. In NJ, anyways. I love that beer, but it tastes nothing like an IPA. I don't know how they get away with it, but they don't put the abv% on the bottle. It varies between 15%-20%, but it is sooooo tasty.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Gaslight is shit.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

mister d wrote:NJ: Kane is spectacular across the board

MA: Lord Hobo solid, heard good things on Night Shift, Wormtown if their DIPA is there

Tried Kane last year, was planning on hitting again. We get Hobo (at least Steal This Can, and I think another) on the shelf. Haven't tried the Night Shift. I think Wormtown was where I had a mint IPA, worst beer I've ever had.

I highly recommend that y'all make a pilgrimage to the GABF at least once. It's incredible, and the events during the week often out weigh the fest.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

My hometown brewery, No Label, partnered with University of Houston to create a new beer called "Brew of H IPA". ESPN will be have a little segment about them tomorrow night during the UH/UCONN game. Carry on.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

NJ finally has its (third?) true legit IPA. Brix City Just Another is very, very good. Just got the DIPA version today.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

San Jose-based Gordon-Biersch Brewery has partnered with the San Jose Sharks hockey team and is releasing a Sharks-themed/branded red ale, with the stupid name of "Chum". Hate the name, but I generally like GB beers. So, I look forward to trying this one.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Can we pretend you posted this a year ago so I can make a joke about it being a fall and winter seasonal?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote:Can we pretend you posted this a year ago so I can make a joke about it being a fall and winter seasonal?
Yeah baby. A winner in Spring!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

So Kane was pretty fucking delicious, had a bunch of barrel aged stuff, but I think I liked the IPA best, though it may have just been the difference between it and all the previous BA stuff I drank.

I also enjoyed Perrin's Vietnamese Coffee BA Stout, Navaja DIPA from Half Acre, Pentagram from Surly, and the various Shorts that they had. Also got to try Avery's Tweak fresh from the cask...fantastic, and laughed about them filling pitchers of the BCBS variants when the geeks go apeshit over them every year.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Have a friend, more like a father of a kid who runs on my sons team, who went on a beercation to Vermont. He has a Heady Topper and Focal Banger for me, with an outside shot at a Sip of Sunshine, 3 beers at the very top of my bucket list. He actually made an Excel spreadsheet of the beers he traded for and brought back, which is an amazing list. He suggested a bottle share night.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Did he just go last weekend? If so, I either met him or one of the other guys last week at Wine Barrel in Maplewood.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:Did he just go last weekend? If so, I either met him or one of the other guys last week at Wine Barrel in Maplewood.
Yes, was there some sort of event, or just talking up the customers?
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

They'd gotten Lunch in and I guess we'd both made the cut so we were getting our secret bottles at the same time and ended up in a quick little conversation.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I can't believe I'm saying this, but this is the worst Meg Ryan movie ever.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Ryan wrote:I can't believe I'm saying this, but this is the worst Meg Ryan movie ever.
Someone's never seen Proof of Life.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ryan wrote:I can't believe I'm saying this, but ...i... the worst ... Ryan ... ever.
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA BUUUUUUURRRNNN!!!!!!!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:They'd gotten Lunch in and I guess we'd both made the cut so we were getting our secret bottles at the same time and ended up in a quick little conversation.
Thanks for the heads up, jerk. BTW, Maple Jesus is out in NYC and South Jersey, I don't know when it'll get to us.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Pretty sure broadcasting a hidden 1/2 case is not the best way to maintain a beer guy relationship.

I had this debate this weekend ... I think I'm oversensitive to maple in general, but I'm almost never a fan in beer.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Kane Brewing Company wrote:We will be at Tiff's Burger & Alehouse in Union, NJ this Thursday 10/13 with Hop Lab - Motueka, Fall Saints, Citra Pale Ale, Head High, Overhead, Single Fin, and Sacre Coeur all on tap. Stop in for a pint.
Anything else as good as the Head High? I wussed on trying the Overhead a couple of weeks ago because I was at a kids soccer fundraiser and was feeling the one Head a High I had already had.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I like Head High better than Overhead if we're talking relative to type. The citra is great. The others I haven't had but if you ever find one of their browns/porters/stouts, get it because they're all great. Stirling had Driftline this weekend which they call a brown but no one I know would guess it isn't a porter. It's very nice.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Also ...
rass wrote:Anything else as good as ... Head...? I wussed on trying the ...v... a couple of weeks ago because I was at a ...d... ...raiser and was feeling the one ... High ...d...ad.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote:
Kane Brewing Company wrote:We will be at Tiff's Burger & Alehouse in Union, NJ this Thursday 10/13 with Hop Lab - Motueka, Fall Saints, Citra Pale Ale, Head High, Overhead, Single Fin, and Sacre Coeur all on tap. Stop in for a pint.
Anything else as good as the Head High? I wussed on trying the Overhead a couple of weeks ago because I was at a kids soccer fundraiser and was feeling the one Head a High I had already had.
I like Overhead better than Head High, but I prefer DIPAs. Haven't tried any of the others, but my IPA crazy friend who only drinks the best of the best (Treehouse, Trillium, Alchemist, Grimm and the likes) just posted on Untappd that the Citra Pale Ale is the most perfect beer he's tasted. He specified it's not "the best," just the most perfect. He loves the New England style IPAs, which are cloudy citrus bombs.
-Pruitt