College Football 2016 Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: College Football 2016 Thread

Post by brian »

CMU, picked to finish fourth in their DIVISION in the MAC is a FG favorite at an ACC school's house. This is rare air.

(You could make a case that the MAC West is better than the B1G West.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The MAC has 11 wins over all other FBS conferences.

The Big 12 has 9.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This UVA game today scares me. Really think UVA should be a one or two point favorite at home. Gonna throw that out there now before the game starts so as to temper expectations.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

CMU's best defensive player out with a calf injury. If it was a MAC game he could go but next week's game is one of the biggest in school history. Taking no chances.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I meant to post that I had a good feeling about this uva - cmu game. Yes, uva's been losing, but they've played better each week.

So far in this one? Virginia has two touchdowns and cmu has 2 yards. It's been a good first quarter.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Kinda saw this coming too. No offense to UVA and Dave but as long as everyone stays healthy and this puts a chip on their shoulder for Western next week I don't care if we lose 100-0. Entire season likely comes down to next week. I think there also might have been some looking ahead for CMU.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Damn, you might get your wish. Uva with a 99-yard drive for another td. 21-0. Wish I could watch this one (I'm in the airport and espn3 is blacked out here)
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Just lost our best WR probably for the season so fuck it all.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

That escalated quickly.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Wow I get off my flight and it's all changed. 28 straight by cmu to tie it up.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Shirley wrote:Wow I get off my flight and it's all changed. 28 straight by cmu to tie it up.
Don't suppose I could persuade you to get on another flight somewhere?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Hats off to UVA fighting back after it was 28-28 especially when CMU had the ball after that. Our D doesn't get lit up like this in the last few years. No moral victories but glad to see the fight from us and hopefully we take it out on Western next week.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Also very classy team which you'd expect of Bronco Mendalhall. A couple recruiting cycles and the ACC could be a rolling ball of butcher knives. Clemson, FSU ain't going nowhere. Miami will be better. Louisville probably isn't getting any worse. Dino Babers will make Syracuse an insanely tough out at worst. Good coaches in the ACC.

ETA: And that's not even discussing UNC, Va Tech and Pitt which any of who could be very solid.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

brian wrote:Hats off to UVA fighting back after it was 28-28 especially when CMU had the ball after that. Our D doesn't get lit up like this in the last few years. No moral victories but glad to see the fight from us and hopefully we take it out on Western next week.
Looks like Eastern Michigan has been doing a bit better than Central Michigan lately.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DC47 wrote:
brian wrote:Hats off to UVA fighting back after it was 28-28 especially when CMU had the ball after that. Our D doesn't get lit up like this in the last few years. No moral victories but glad to see the fight from us and hopefully we take it out on Western next week.
Looks like Eastern Michigan has been doing a bit better than Central Michigan lately.
Of course, a victory over Wyoming is no great accomplishment (although it might elude Colorado State this season.).

Speaking of mountain time zone teams that don't win a lot, I was pretty excited about Colorado beating Oregon yesterday! With a huge game from a 2nd string redshirt freshman quarterback who did nothing when called upon mid-game last week, no less.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Miles and Cameron out at LSU. Notre Dame fires DC. Hope that lady line cheers Brian up.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

"Lady line?" Not following.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Sorry, "last line". DC getting fired. May have been a stretch.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Got no special hate (nor love) for Notre Dame. Not a big Brian Kelly fan from his tenure at CMU (despite the Ws and MAC title) but no specific beef either I suppose.

Guess he had to feed someone to the wolves. Notre Dame fans aren't going to stand for losses to Duke.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

It was about DC.

Nothing in regards to ND at all. Just the initials DC. Hence the stretch.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

duff wrote:It was about DC.

Nothing in regards to ND at all. Just the initials DC. Hence the stretch.
Ok. Yeah wasn't getting that at all. Too literal today maybe.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I'd take les miles today.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Curious to see what he does. Another job is out there despite his age if he wants it. Would be interesting as a TV guy I think. Expect he'll do the TV thing for the rest of this season at least.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

brian wrote:Curious to see what he does. Another job is out there despite his age if he wants it. Would be interesting as a TV guy I think. Expect he'll do the TV thing for the rest of this season at least.
Les Miles as the replacement for Lee Corso makes a ton of sense.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

duff wrote:Miles and Cameron out at LSU. Notre Dame fires DC. Hope that lady line cheers Brian up.
Sorry to hear about DC. Brilliant, classy, kind to children, and almost good looking. What low-life scum would wish anything but the best for a guy like this?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

sancarlos wrote:
DC47 wrote:
Of course, a victory over Wyoming is no great accomplishment (although it might elude Colorado State this season.).

Speaking of mountain time zone teams that don't win a lot, I was pretty excited about Colorado beating Oregon yesterday! With a huge game from a 2nd string redshirt freshman quarterback who did nothing when called upon mid-game last week, no less.

A few thoughts of limited value:

* Colorado's defense was VERY good against MI, particularly the run defense. They rattled Speight early, to the point that it took deep into the 2nd Q for him to get back into things mentally.

* Conversely, and this is going to be a little self-serving, MI's defense is just plain nasty. I know they haven't really played anyone yet (no offense), but they are just playing lights out in just about all phases. (They were giving up some chunks on intermediate passes, but it appears that has been fixed.) Just saying that the redshirt QB was seeing a hyperspeed defense last week, so whatever he saw this weekend probably felt like a totally different thing.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote:Got no special hate (nor love) for Notre Dame. Not a big Brian Kelly fan from his tenure at CMU (despite the Ws and MAC title) but no specific beef either I suppose.

Guess he had to feed someone to the wolves. Notre Dame fans aren't going to stand for losses to Duke.

And MSU's win over them now in a completely different light after Whiskey took them down, bludgeon style this weekend.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Nonlinear FC wrote:Conversely, and this is going to be a little self-serving, MI's defense is just plain nasty. I know they haven't really played anyone yet (no offense), but they are just playing lights out in just about all phases. (They were giving up some chunks on intermediate passes, but it appears that has been fixed.) Just saying that the redshirt QB was seeing a hyperspeed defense last week, so whatever he saw this weekend probably felt like a totally different thing.
Not trying to be contrary, but Colorado did move the ball right down the field against the Michigan defense a few times, before their starting quarterback got knocked out of the game.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

sancarlos wrote:
Nonlinear FC wrote:Conversely, and this is going to be a little self-serving, MI's defense is just plain nasty. I know they haven't really played anyone yet (no offense), but they are just playing lights out in just about all phases. (They were giving up some chunks on intermediate passes, but it appears that has been fixed.) Just saying that the redshirt QB was seeing a hyperspeed defense last week, so whatever he saw this weekend probably felt like a totally different thing.
Not trying to be contrary, but Colorado did move the ball right down the field against the Michigan defense a few times, before their starting quarterback got knocked out of the game.

Oh, yeah absolutely... That said, because I pay way too much attention to this stuff, the MI defense was starting to figure out the slants before the starter got knocked out. In fact, the reason he connected on that long bomb toward the end of his run was because the defense had shifted to cover the short game. Good call by the OC there. I think CO may have had another run in them with the starter still in, but I'm not really sure about that. They started a string of 3 and outs towards the end of the half and in the 3Q.

And, yes, coming in off the bench was not ideal, but with the numbers he put up against Oregon... Dude can play. CO can play. I know it's a backwards compliment from me, but that's really my point. 500 yards of offense doesn't just spring forth because the guy had full awareness this was his game.

And while PSU is certainly a bit of tire fire, they had just scored in the 30s the last two games. They had just about nothing going on Saturday.

So, what I'm saying from my biased perch is that CO is a lot tougher out than many folks realize. The MI scoreline is deceiving... looks like kind of a blowout when it really was no such thing. As you said, they moved the ball against a very good defense. And their run defense was ridiculous. MI just curb stomped PSU on the ground, they couldn't get anything going in that dept. against the Buffs.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Only in places like Tuscaloosa or Tallahassee (and yeah probably Lexington) can you not be charged for having pot in your car because you said it belongs to your buddy "Brandon Chicken".

Depending on which team you are on, of course.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Serious question, AB. And, I'm only trying to tweak you just a little bit. Mostly I'm serious. Kentucky seems to be nearly as rabid for football as they are for basketball. Support from above and below. Yet, in football, Kentucky is always an also-ran compared to Alabama, Florida, et al. Obviously, the SEC is super-competitive, but you're really above only Vanderbilt as far as consistent performance in the conference. So, if the administration, fans and populace are all gung-ho, why, year-in, year-out, does the program have such trouble competing?
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

That is so stupid. You are supposed to charge the kid in the car who is not on the football team, and let the linebacker go. Dumb cops.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote:
Washington is NOT going to the Rose Bowl. I would give you pretty much any reasonable odds against that. If you think that you are insane.
Still think the notion of UW going to the Rose Bowl is insane? That was a total ass-whipping on every level last night.

HUGE game for UW next week...at Oregon. Haven't beaten the Ducks in 12 years.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Chris Petersen, former QB at UC Davis. All the Davis alumni on the coaching staff at Oregon have retired (Bellioti, Allioti and Zoumboukous), although Helfrich married a Davis gal. Advantage UDub.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

If you had taken the over on all the early major network games, you'd have a nice day going.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

The Bronco Mendenhall era got off to a slow start, but UVA has improved each week and has now won 2 in a row. Today's win was their first road win in four years. Yes, it was Duke, but the Blue Devils did beat Notre Dame last week.

I like what I'm seeing.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DaveInSeattle wrote:
brian wrote:
Washington is NOT going to the Rose Bowl. I would give you pretty much any reasonable odds against that. If you think that you are insane.
HUGE game for UW next week...at Oregon. Haven't beaten the Ducks in 12 years.
Call me insane, but Washington certainly looks like the front runner to win the PAC 12. I won't be surprised if they dominate Oregon next game.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Guys maybe Brian thinks Washington is gonna be in he playoff? You ever think of that? Huh? Huh?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Luckily I was cooking and jumping streams and managed to catch both the NC and Tenn wins. Wow.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.