NBA Finals

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

howard
Karl Hungus

Re: NBA Finals

Post by howard »

DC47 wrote:Iguodola is a simply a much better all-around player than Thompson or Barnes, at least right now.
Agree, with this and the rest of your post.

I like Igoudola, and I hope I have to eat my words above. I'll have no problem rooting for him. His defense in particular; someone has to check Kobe and Durant. I guess I need to check my revulsion to overpaying for aging players over on the baseball side of the world.

I see no reason David Lee would have trouble with this team. He doesn't seem the type to pout if his shots/points decline. I also see no reason to expect Bogut to all of a sudden not have injury trouble, but it sure would be nice.

Warrior talk! This is better than KNBR with Tom Tolbert.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

One of the things I like best about basketball is one of the reasons that the NBA is pretty much unwatchable for most of the long season -- I like well-played defense. Particularly of the perimeter variety. So Tony Allen going at it with Durant or Kobe is the equivalent of highlight reel dunks for me. I'm clearly biased towards Iguodola -- he's been near the top of the perimeter defender list since he came into the league.

Iguodola was clearly over-paid in his last contract, and not the right player for the 76ers to build around. He never developed enough of an offensive game to be a first or even second option on a good team. Dealing him and blowing up the team was the right move for the 76ers.

But it's all about how players and their contracts fit with teams. Golden State is built to win now. They've got shooters. They need more athleticism and more D. They need a wing who can play effectively without the ball in his hands. Iguodola seems to me to be a terrific fit on the court for the Warriors.

The contract is huge, but not as bad as it seems. Just about all high-end free agents get over-paid. David Lee was certainly over-paid. That was a bad over-pay because GS didn't have a team that could win even with his addition. But when your team is truly ready to win, this is part of the price you pay for getting just what you need, just when you need it. This is not really over-paying. It's spot-market pricing.

Will Golden State win it all with Iguodola? The odds are against it. There are simply too many great teams right now, and the Warriors depend heavily on two players who are high injury risks. Particularly Bogut. I wouldn't walk down the street with this guy, for fear of being hit by a cab or having a satellite drop out of the sky.

But they've clearly got enough talent on their roster to play with the great teams. If the young guys develop, the bodies hold up, and they get lucky then they have a decent shot of being right there with the Rockets, Thunder, Grizzlies, Clippers and Spurs at the end of the year. Then anything can happen.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

A big question about the Warriors is their bench. Six good players won't get it done, especially on such an injury-prone team. Aren't they losing most of their good subs, with the exception of Barnes? Do they have any cap room at all to retain Jack or Landry, or add someone who's not quite at their level?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Johnnie wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:The ticker at the WWLIS is reporting that Kobe Bryant's response to Howard signing with the Rockets was to unfollow him on Twitter and post a photo of himself with Pau Gasol on Instagram. Basically, he's a scorned high school cheerleader.
I read that too. Hysterical. Him and Pau BFFs! Lakercorazon!

Except remember when he was demanding a trade to the Bulls a while back? Lakers fans don't.

And despite my uncanny ability to make the absolute opposite come true, in my opinion, I don't think the Rockets are going anywhere with Dwight. Not while LeBron is still playing.
If LeBron is the one stopping them from winning championships, I will be fine losing to him in the finals.

Last year at his time, the Rockets two best players were Kyle Lowry and Kevin freaking Martin. You'll have to forgive this long-time fan for a little giddiness when I see the difference in just one year.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

DC47 wrote:A big question about the Warriors is their bench. Six good players won't get it done, especially on such an injury-prone team. Aren't they losing most of their good subs, with the exception of Barnes? Do they have any cap room at all to retain Jack or Landry, or add someone who's not quite at their level?
Everything I've read says that Jack and Landry will cost too much for them.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
Weatherfrog
Maude Lebowski

Post by Weatherfrog »

So does Dwight think that Lin and Harden are a better back court than Nash and Kobe?

Does he think Chandler Parson is better than Pau Gasol?

I'm really confused.

No way that team beats Memphis/OKC/Chicago/Miami.

He should have gone to Golden State.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Weatherfrog wrote:So does Dwight think that Lin and Harden are a better back court than Nash and Kobe?
Maybe this is a wash. But the Rockets guards are more likely to be on the court. And he could realistically believe that they are a better fit with his style, given who is coaching each team.
Does he think Chandler Parson is better than Pau Gasol?
No, but he's a better fit with Howard. Plus the Rockets are likely to make more deals. Asik has value. Though it looks like Josh Smith is off the market.
I'm really confused.

No way that team beats Memphis/OKC/Chicago/Miami.

He should have gone to Golden State.
Wait until the pieces are all there. Harden, Lin, and Parsons are all young, healthy, and likely to get better. They complement Howard well. If they add a PF who can shoot, and Howard comes back fully, this is a great team.

I agree that GS would have been a fine option for Howard. However, there he'd be paying high state taxes as well as being limited to the four year max deal that he got in Houston. Both places seem like better fits than LA. I'm surprised he didn't quickly rule out a return engagement. Perhaps he did.
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

Adrian Wojnarowski on Dwight Howard choosing HOU over LA:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--rocke ... 37592.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Why didn't the Rockets land Josh Smith in addition to Howard?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

DC47 wrote:Why didn't the Rockets land Josh Smith in addition to Howard?
I don't think they wanted to pay him that much and right now probably view Asik as just as valuable. I think Asik is only moved as a piece in a deal that lands them a player like Aldridge or Love. Or at the very least, they'll wait to see what happens with both of those guys next season. Asik is a top-5 center, I believe. If he remains a Rocket, that interior defense is going to be pretty special.

It would have been interesting to see how message boards and social media would've reacted to Hakeem and his relationship with the franchise in the early 90s. I think it's an interesting parallel with Howard.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Because it would have been an awful move, I'm guessing. A "big three", which means standard big three supporting cast, but one of your three is Josh Smith? I think you'll lose.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote:
I don't think they wanted to pay him that much and right now probably view Asik as just as valuable. I think Asik is only moved as a piece in a deal that lands them a player like Aldridge or Love. Or at the very least, they'll wait to see what happens with both of those guys next season. Asik is a top-5 center, I believe. If he remains a Rocket, that interior defense is going to be pretty special.

It would have been interesting to see how message boards and social media would've reacted to Hakeem and his relationship with the franchise in the early 90s. I think it's an interesting parallel with Howard.
I don't see any way in which Asik/Howard are on the floor at the same time.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

AB_skin_test wrote:
Giff wrote:

Probably not more than 5 minutes a game, but there probably won't be a time where neither one of them are on the court.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Keg wrote:Adrian Wojnarowski on Dwight Howard choosing HOU over LA:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--rocke ... 37592.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Writing stuff like that after the fact has always annoyed the shit out of me regarding sportswriters. They write from a perspective where they knew the whole time someone wasn't wanted and it all came to fruition in a huge loss while yadda yadda yadda.

I had no idea there was an executive meeting in Memphis. I had no idea about specific instances where Kobe would belittle Dwight. I had no idea that Dwight now promises Daryl Morey "no more drama and no more excuses." I mean, really? So you were withholding all of this info until after you knew Dwight would sign with Houston? And Dwight was also totally aware of being a drama queen the whole time yet he did it for...what? Attention or something? No he has to lick his wounds with his new coach? Whatever, dude.

Woj is a great writer. I like reading him a lot. But the way half of his pieces come across he always seemed to know what was going to happen days before with surefire evidence. I hate that. I hate every sports writer that writes from the perspective of "I read the writing on the wall months ago. Why didn't you see it?" It's fucking annoying.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

He did provide a link to an article from January referencing the team only meeting, so he wasn't sitting on that story.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Probably not more than 5 minutes a game, but there probably won't be a time where neither one of them are on the court.[/quote]

Isn't Asik both too good and too expensive to use him primarily as a back-up center?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

DC47 wrote:
Isn't Asik both too good and too expensive to use him primarily as a back-up center?
He's probably a top-5 center in the league as it stands now. But he's under a very friendly contract, I believe. $8.3 million for a center of his caliber is a steal and a contract that any number of teams would like. I don't see the Rockets trading him just to trade him though. They'll wait until the trading deadline to see if Minnesota or Portland are ready to get rid of their upcoming free agents Love and LMA, respectively.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

A deal of Asik, Terrance Jones, and Houston's #1 picks in '14 and '16 to Portland for Aldridge before the season starts would make Houston as good as any team but Miami. With a healthy, productive Dwight Howard and good health of course.

From a Portland perspective it would set them up nicely to tank for a lottery pick in '14, plus give them more young talent. I'd deal Robin Lopez for a pick or equivalent. If they do well in the 2014 lottery and then use cap space well, this could be a good team by 2015.

C: Asik, Leonard, Lopez
F: Battum, T. Jones, T. Robinson, D. Wright
G: Lillard, Mathews, McCollum, Crabbe

2014 Draft: Portland #1 (probably lottery) + Houston #1
2015 Draft: Portland #1 (if 1-12)
2016 Draft: Houston #1
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I like the way you think!
howard
Karl Hungus

Discuss

Post by howard »

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

MONEYBALL DON'T LIE!
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

AB_skin_test wrote:MONEYBALL DON'T LIE!
Excellent. That should be Daryl Morey's book's title.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

It also doesn't seem to win very much.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Johnnie wrote:
Keg wrote:Adrian Wojnarowski on Dwight Howard choosing HOU over LA:

Writing stuff like that after the fact has always annoyed the shit out of me regarding sportswriters. They write from a perspective where they knew the whole time someone wasn't wanted and it all came to fruition in a huge loss while yadda yadda yadda.

I had no idea there was an executive meeting in Memphis. I had no idea about specific instances where Kobe would belittle Dwight. I had no idea that Dwight now promises Daryl Morey "no more drama and no more excuses." I mean, really? So you were withholding all of this info until after you knew Dwight would sign with Houston? And Dwight was also totally aware of being a drama queen the whole time yet he did it for...what? Attention or something? No he has to lick his wounds with his new coach? Whatever, dude.

Woj is a great writer. I like reading him a lot. But the way half of his pieces come across he always seemed to know what was going to happen days before with surefire evidence. I hate that. I hate every sports writer that writes from the perspective of "I read the writing on the wall months ago. Why didn't you see it?" It's fucking annoying.
There's a lot of shit that's off the record, you know.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Brontoburglar wrote:There's a lot of shit that's off the record, you know.
Fair enough. And I know these dudes have sources everywhere. But still. There always seems to be these "Eureka!" articles written when the dust settles and everything is done. If that's a natural factor of the way journalism is, I accept it. Otherwise, I'm just like "Oh! Now you tell me an abundance of these minor details which completely fill in cracks I didn't initially see. Thanks for letting me know after the fact." It just annoys me, ya know?
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Pruitt wrote:
It also doesn't seem to win very much.

It once again leads the AL West with a bunch of players no one has ever heard of.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Johnnie wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:There's a lot of shit that's off the record, you know.
Fair enough. And I know these dudes have sources everywhere. But still. There always seems to be these "Eureka!" articles written when the dust settles and everything is done. If that's a natural factor of the way journalism is, I accept it. Otherwise, I'm just like "Oh! Now you tell me an abundance of these minor details which completely fill in cracks I didn't initially see. Thanks for letting me know after the fact." It just annoys me, ya know?

That article didn't come off like that to me in the slightest.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Anyway, I am happy to not be a Knicks fan. Off-season additions Andrea Bargnani and Metta World Artest are not going to cause Pat Riley much stress.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Yikes. That Chris Andersen story is as strange as Chris Andersen. Weird, cleared.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I haven't said "Birdman Birdman" outloud for weeks. Until just now.

ETA: I am hopeful his computer password was <birdman_birdman>

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Scottie wrote:Yikes. That Chris Andersen story is as strange as Chris Andersen. Weird, cleared.
Crazy stuff. Maybe we need to hire this woman to send out some emails on Bronto's and degenerasian's behalfs.
Totally Kafkaesque
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus