wlu_lax6
The Dude

Like the Pitch I was assigned for Practice

Post by wlu_lax6 »

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Like the Pitch I was assigned for Practice

Post by sancarlos »

Kind of like what we all played on as kids.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I had the same thought. Our neighborhood soccer game had a sharp side pitch at one end. Trees narrowed the field in the middle -- but you could play through them. We developed field-specific tactics that didn't exactly translate to the big flat fields with lines on them. It was a shame that running defenders into trees was no longer a part of the game.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Still better than the field the US played on in Cuba. No running water in the stadium, fantastic.
DC47 wrote:
I had the same thought. Our neighborhood soccer game had a sharp side pitch at one end. Trees narrowed the field in the middle -- but you could play through them. We developed field-specific tactics that didn't exactly translate to the big flat fields with lines on them. It was a shame that running defenders into trees was no longer a part of the game.
Love that. We played most sports across 3 back yards, I had 3 friends within 2 years of me living next to each other. The middle yard had 2 plateaus, the main one with a gentle slope above it, in play, then a short steep dropoff. In football, you had to account for leading a receiver further downfield if the route went down the steep slope. There was an 8 foot wide, 6 foot high row of hedges in the middle of the main plateau which was a great pick for in patterns. Cut at the corner in front of the hedges, and the DB gets picked. Cut just after the hedges and the QB throws it just outside the hedge. Then you had the wood power line pole next to an enormous, wide evergreen tree as the ultimate pick, perfect on kick returns.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Our school field had a big tree in right field - hitting it on the fly was a ground rule double.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."