Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Temporary Television

Post by Johnnie »

Giff wrote:Atlanta's pretty dope and I feel pretty racist for calling it dope.
I've never laughed so hard at an episode of tv as I did with episode 7 B.A.N. I think me and TT are the only white dudes who got it. My girlfriend couldn't understand why I was nearly falling off the couch in tears. That just made it funnier.

In other TV watching stuff I'm into. My tattoo artist is in the top 6 on Ink Master. Designated Survivor is a good bad show that I'll stick with. I completely forgot about Mr. Robot, Luke Cage, and The Get Down and I'll pick them back up here shortly.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The commercials in that episode were so awesome.

Brian, I disagree on Friends. I feel it holds up very well. It's the one we watch most in syndication.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

brian wrote:(I'm pretty much limiting it to critically-acclaimed or really popular shows. Obviously a show that stunk for 5 years in the mid-90s will not have aged well.)
My definition of a show like that is Wings. I seriously have never met anyone who watched that show, and it was on forever.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

L-Jam3 wrote:
brian wrote:(I'm pretty much limiting it to critically-acclaimed or really popular shows. Obviously a show that stunk for 5 years in the mid-90s will not have aged well.)
My definition of a show like that is Wings. I seriously have never met anyone who watched that show, and it was on forever.
I watched Wings when it was on first run and always enjoyed it...mainly because the secondary characters (Roy, Faye and Lowell) made it funny. Although it's somewhat pathetic I could name those characters off the top of my head.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Lowell was great. I think that was slotted right between Friends and Seinfeld, wasn't it? Os was that the Mad about you slot?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Giff wrote:I enjoyed The Walking Dead thing. I still love SNL. My entire life it's been one or two good skits, three or four bad ones, and one that's typically hilarious to me because it's just so off the wall. The current weekend update guys are my favorite in a long time.

This. The show has pretty much always been like this, with a few very notable highs and lows. (high - 90-92 cast was probably the best, if not a close second to the 70s crew... low - pretty easily the Charles Rocket doomed year... 80, I think?)

I did think this episode started very strongly and then went off a cliff.. the breastfeeding and then the closing time at the bar - gross out humor is kind of funny in the moment, but when I just want what's happening on the screen to stop already... there's a negative after-taste.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote:Cheers wasn't a "bad" show by any stretch of the imagination, but it didn't/doesn't age very well.

I go back from time to time and watch older shows and it's pretty amazing which shows hold up over time and which ones don't. Some of it has to do with shows that are more rooted in current popular culture, trends in television at the time (multi-camera vs. single camera, etc.) and the like, but sometimes it just seems kinda random. Here's an incomplete list based solely on personal opinion.

Shows that have aged very well:

Seinfeld (maybe the best of any sitcom in history. I expect people will still be watching Seinfeld 50 years from now).
MASH
Mary Tyler Moore
All In The Family
Arrested Development

Shows that have not aged well:

Friends
Cheers/Frasier
Everybody Loves Raymond

(I'm pretty much limiting it to critically-acclaimed or really popular shows. Obviously a show that stunk for 5 years in the mid-90s will not have aged well.)
We've talked about this before, I think...

Original Newhart... Maybe even the one where he is an inn keeper too. Mainly because he is just so damn funny.

I wonder about the following: Taxi, WKRP, The Wonder Years and Moonlighting.

Those were some of my favorite shows... I wonder how they hold up.

Oh, and I agree with Night Court... Seems like it would hold up pretty well. I think shows that relied a little less on that 1-2-3 set-up/patter/punchline and a little more on quirky comedic actors and their acting chops. maybe?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

L-Jam3 wrote:

Sorry, not trying to be contrarian. but I loved that show.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

For me at least, the point I made about Cheers - that it got worse every time they changed a character - goes triple for MASH. The early years were gold! The last years were tripe. They turned Hotlips into a face instead of a heel and she started looking like she just came out of makeup every time you saw her. And, Alan Alda got sanctimonious and dominated every story line at the end. And none of the replacements were as good as the original characters (Trapper John vs. Honeycutt, Frank Burns vs. Winchester, Henry Blake vs. Potter, Radar vs. Klinger (who was always there as a minor character but was given Radar's place when he left, and the character became more "normal")).
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I agree for the most part with MASH, but the writing and directing got a lot better in later years as it became less of a comedy. I never thought it was sanctimonious personally.

If you look at the replacements they all ended up being more well-rounded characters as opposed to sitcom archetypes.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

What about News Radio?
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

duff wrote:What about News Radio?
Entirely mediocre and forgettable with the exception of Phil Hartman.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Just asking for a friend.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote:I agree for the most part with MASH, but the writing and directing got a lot better in later years as it became less of a comedy. I never thought it was sanctimonious personally.

If you look at the replacements they all ended up being more well-rounded characters as opposed to sitcom archetypes.
I haven't watched it in years, but I thought the writing was good in the early years. I liked that Frank and Hotlips were "bad", rather than "well-rounded". Part of my opinion is that I always viewed the show as supposedly being a comedy with a little pathos - just one that wasn't that funny in the later years. I suppose if I take it as you describe it, I might have a different view.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote:
brian wrote:I agree for the most part with MASH, but the writing and directing got a lot better in later years as it became less of a comedy. I never thought it was sanctimonious personally.

I haven't watched it in years, but I thought the writing was good in the early years. I liked that Frank and Hotlips were "bad", rather than "well-rounded". Part of my opinion is that I always viewed the show as supposedly being a comedy with a little pathos - just one that wasn't that funny in the later years. I suppose if I take it as you describe it, I might have a different view.
This is a show that I've re-watched recently, not entirely from beginning to end, but close and I was struck by a couple of things.

A lot of people have the same opinion as you, but the show in later years was just as funny in my opinion. The difference being that every now and then they would do a one-off episode that really focused on the horrors of war. You can argue if that's something that a "comedy" should do, but the striking thing is that almost all of those episodes really broke a mold for television at that time. But they were relatively infrequent on the whole (maybe a couple shows per season).

Also I touched on this briefly but I felt like the difference between the first half of the show and the second half is that the characters (all of them, not just the "replacements") were more two-dimensional in the second half of the run as opposed to more one-dimensional in the first half of the run. Not to say -- first half=bad, second half=good just that it was a different show in a lot of respects. Not being a MASH scholar (not sarcasm, I've really never read much about the behind the scenes stuff ever) the show runners probably felt more freed to focus more on the aspects of a war zone after Vietnam was finally done for a few years. I viewed the start of the show as comic relief in a difficult time and with the passage of time they were able to focus more on the horrors of war, especially in a post Apocalypse Now/Deer Hunter world. (Remembering that MASH, despite being set in the Korean War was always a Vietnam war allegory.)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sooo ... finally watched SNL and I thought it was awful, bordering on irresponsible. Shit shows like Fallon can make this election laughy, but SNL I expected to hit a lot harder, especially with the guy who should have been the perfect goddamn host. Aside from Colin Jost*, the show that has been reliably cruel and brutal in the past wasn't when it needed to be.

* I realized identifying with Jost at this point probably says something about me as well. I'll deal with it.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote:Sooo ... finally watched SNL and I thought it was awful, bordering on irresponsible. Shit shows like Fallon can make this election laughy, but SNL I expected to hit a lot harder, especially with the guy who should have been the perfect goddamn host. Aside from Colin Jost*, the show that has been reliably cruel and brutal in the past wasn't when it needed to be.
Maybe they are afraid to alienate our new insect overlords.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Johnnie wrote:
I've never laughed so hard at an episode of tv as I did with episode 7 B.A.N. I think me and TT are the only white dudes who got it. My girlfriend couldn't understand why I was nearly falling off the couch in tears. That just made it funnier.

In other TV watching stuff I'm into. My tattoo artist is in the top 6 on Ink Master. Designated Survivor is a good bad show that I'll stick with. I completely forgot about Mr. Robot, Luke Cage, and The Get Down and I'll pick them back up here shortly.
i havent made it to watchin atlanta yet...havent seen reviews. my kind of show?
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote:
duff wrote:What about News Radio?
Entirely mediocre and forgettable with the exception of Phil Hartman.
So true, and yet it was on the air for years.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

GoodKarma wrote:
L-Jam3 wrote:
I watched Wings when it was on first run and always enjoyed it...mainly because the secondary characters (Roy, Faye and Lowell) made it funny. Although it's somewhat pathetic I could name those characters off the top of my head.
Antonio (Tony Shaloub) was funny also.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Ok. Maybe I should give Wings another shot. Carry on.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, Tony Shalhoub is great. My wife was nuts for Monk for awhile.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

TT2.0 wrote:
Johnnie wrote:

Oh yea. You're as black as me. You'd love it.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Johnnie wrote:
TT2.0 wrote:
Johnnie wrote:

Oh yea. You're as black as me. You'd love it.
It's so fucking great. I love it so much.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

i have hu'u netflix and amazon prime...is it on these or do i need to get piratey?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

TT2.0 wrote:i have hu'u netflix and amazon prime...is it on these or do i need to get piratey?
Atlanta is on FX. I think they let you view online.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

thanks ill check it out tonight.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Goliath on Amazon Prime. Billy Bob Thornton and William Hurt are lawyers that started a firm, something went terribly wrong and now they hate each other with the white hot passion of the sun.

I'm 6 episodes in and totally hooked. Acting is fantastic, and it's shot in LA and is spectacular.

Pretty dark, but BBT does his usual job of finding the comedy sweet spots... And the supporting cast is really fantastic.

Highly recommend.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Have never watched more than 30 seconds of Top Gear but downloaded The Grand Tour for my commute yesterday. Fun. Love the Camera work and Mike Skinner is fantastic. Very easy to see why the show cost Amazon a reported $250 Million. Can't understand why Amazon would pay that much for it.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Johnnie wrote:

i got to episode 7 & jesus it was dope
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Watched the first two episodes of the new Joel McHale /Stephen Fry comedy The Great Indoors.

Man, that's a bad bad show.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Sooo ... finally watched SNL and I thought it was awful, bordering on irresponsible. Shit shows like Fallon can make this election laughy, but SNL I expected to hit a lot harder, especially with the guy who should have been the perfect goddamn host. Aside from Colin Jost*, the show that has been reliably cruel and brutal in the past wasn't when it needed to be.

* I realized identifying with Jost at this point probably says something about me as well. I'll deal with it.
He got chastised for this joke over the last day. I honestly don't get it.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This Rock The Troops special is pretty cool. The sexual innuendos during the safety brief were hysterical. And everything they've done in total has been top notch.

And the interview with the kick ass chicks (one being a lesbian because she said so directly) seemed to be a subtle shade toss to upper level politicians.

EDIT

Lynyrd Skynyrd just performed. Considering the amount of country music I've heard since being in the military (deployed and just hanging with white people), this was due.

EDIT 2

As part of the celebration they brought out a couple of vets that were at Pearl Harbor (the show was filmed in Hawaii). One was 99, the other 96. The 99 year old, Herb Weatherwax, died yesterday. Damn. He didn't look 99 at all.
Last edited by Johnnie on Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

You're not calling Lynyrd Skynyrd country music are you? Between this and excluding Virginia from The South, I'm starting to think you didn't pay enough attention during your years in Louisiana!
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

And thank Christ for that!

And my bad. Google says "southern rock" which is country enough for me.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Southern rock was what new country aspired to be but never could achieve.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A_B wrote:Southern rock was what new country aspired to be but never could achieve.
Nah - New Country (at least what I think of as being New Country) - seems like traditional country music put through a sanitizing wash by record company execs and image consultants.

Southern rock was played by guys who probably reeked of weed, bourbon and b.o.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Pruitt wrote:
A_B wrote:Southern rock was what new country aspired to be but never could achieve.
Nah - New Country (at least what I think of as being New Country) - seems like traditional country music put through a sanitizing wash by record company execs and image consultants.

Outlaw Country on SiriusXM plays some Skynard man all the time, so I think they qualify.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Giff wrote:
Pruitt wrote:

Outlaw Country on SiriusXM plays some Skynard man all the time, so I think they qualify.
If it shows up on the "Country" radio station in the DC area it is "pop" music.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Outlaw country (or No Depression, or Roots country, or Alt. Country) is so much better than regular or New country. You'll notice that the Skynyrd that gets played on Outlaw Country (ch. 60 on your dial) is from 40+ years ago, not the abomination of the name that tours currently.

I agree with the comment though that New Country is some record company guy's idea of what modern southern rock should sound like.