Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rex
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by Rex »

Going back to the first scenario, the bike can have the right of way in that situation--there are certainly many situations in which the car overtakes the bike right before the stop sign and then proceeds to turn right. In Georgia, the bike has the right of way in that situation if riding in a bike lane, and is SOL if there is no bike lane. Other states might be more friendly to the cyclist. In neither scenario can the bike just "blast" through the lane, but sometimes, a cyclist who legitimately has the right of way is going to put safety ahead of compliance, and sometimes it is just good manners to clear the intersection quickly even if it means rolling through a stop sign:

http://archives.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/ ... -yesterday

Steve's estimate of 90/10 compliance is pretty accurate. I like to think of myself as one of the 90, but my only rule is don't get hit, and sometimes that requires doing things that violate traffic laws.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Rex wrote:
A_B wrote:
Steve of phpBB wrote:
A_B wrote:
mister d wrote:Was s/he driving one of those missile bikes?
He was going pretty quick, but I didn't notice.

And I had a situation the other day where I was going straight at a 4 way stop on a fairly large street - one that has a bike lane even - and I stop, a cyclist blasts by me also going straight. I was in no danger of hitting him as we were both going straight but I did roll my window down and scream at him to obey stop signs as I went past. No clue if he heard me or if he had headphones in or whatever but I felt better.
That bolded part matters. If he didn't create a danger, what's your beef? Yell at that other guy.

Around here cyclists obey 4-way stops, when cars are present, 90% of the time? But it's the other gen percent that infuriates.
My beef is he didn't obey the law.
Do you yell at every car that makes a rolling stop? I'd get hoarse.
I kinda do. This was covered in my wheels for veterans citizens complaint.

Also, I'm now teaching a kid to drive. Having to say"most people don't really obey stop signs that much" is part of the training and it shouldn't be.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Rex wrote:
A_B wrote:
Steve of phpBB wrote:
A_B wrote:
mister d wrote:Was s/he driving one of those missile bikes?
He was going pretty quick, but I didn't notice.

And I had a situation the other day where I was going straight at a 4 way stop on a fairly large street - one that has a bike lane even - and I stop, a cyclist blasts by me also going straight. I was in no danger of hitting him as we were both going straight but I did roll my window down and scream at him to obey stop signs as I went past. No clue if he heard me or if he had headphones in or whatever but I felt better.
That bolded part matters. If he didn't create a danger, what's your beef? Yell at that other guy.

Around here cyclists obey 4-way stops, when cars are present, 90% of the time? But it's the other gen percent that infuriates.
My beef is he didn't obey the law.
Do you yell at every car that makes a rolling stop? I'd get hoarse.
Yeah...the rolling stops are just part of the game. But I absolutely yell at drivers doing something stupid while looking at their phones. Which, unfortunately, happens a ton.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DSafetyGuy wrote:If you want to ride in the street and be treated "like a car", you need to act "like a car", as well.
I want to make a PSA where a cyclist blows through a stop sign, gets hit by a car, and the driver gets out, shakes the cyclist shoulders, mock cries, slaps his face and yells "you can act like a car!" [/Don Corleone'd]

A_B wrote:My beef is he didn't obey the law.
I'm picturing AB sitting in a folding chair next to a sidewalk at an intersection in a shopping district, yelling at everyone who jaywalks. "Stay in the painted walkway, asshole! We are a society of laws!"
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

It's probably not that far off.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

If a person parks his SUV in a lot and takes up two spaces, he shouldn't be surprised if someone keys "ASSHOLE" in the driver-side door, right? Just in general.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

L-Jam3 wrote:If a person parks his SUV in a lot and takes up two spaces, he shouldn't be surprised if someone keys "ASSHOLE" in the driver-side door, right? Just in general.
Absolutely. I saw a corvette taking up FOUR spots the other day, right over the intersection of the lines. Dude is asking to get keyed, though admittedly he was not parked super close to the entrance.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

If they are parked near the back or sides of the lot, then I am okay with it. If they are parked anywhere near the middle to the front of the lot, then key the fuck out of their car. Or find some carts if available and circle the damn thing.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

If I didn't have my first two of four daily movements before I left to go vote, I might've been tempted to leave something on his windshield. Might, rabbit.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

L-Jam3 wrote:If I didn't have my first two of four daily movements before I left to go vote, I might've been tempted to leave something on his windshield. Might, rabbit.
Go for the full Chicago Sunroof.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

I'm thinking of doing a thing on here that might hopefully be a fun diversion in light of the current mood. It'll take quite a bit of effort but hopefully it'ill be worth it.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I'd say bag it
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

was out in Texas last week, Dallas then Houston (failed to meet up with Giff again), flew to Albuquerque thursday night, met my parents who were in the return leg of their latest road trip (MD to Chaco Canyon and back).. spent Fri - Sun driving back through red america at 90mph+ so i could make it home in time to coach my son's U12 footie game (we tied in an epic away game).

Lots of stops in between. not all highway. local restaurants, no fast food. lot of commentary.. but will say this for now... was struck by the lack of political signage as compared to the prolific number of signs/locales for adult toys. And no matter where we were, folks were as nice and polite and nice as can be to the three Colombians in their midst (two with heavy accents). OH -- and the poverty. And the people working, making a livin.

That is all.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Lion's Den for the win.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

For only the second time in the Air Force's very short history of the position, an African American has been named as Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force.

Here's the Chief of Staff of the Air Force, General Goldfein and Secretary of the Air Force, Deborah Lee James introducing him:

The other was Thomas Barnes in 1973.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Is it just me, or the fact that I'm using Safari that causes the perspective to jut up from your current location when viewing a thread?

Me no gusta.
Noli Timere Messorem
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Every thread? Page 2 of the Trump thread has been odd, but I think it was that giant embedded reddit "quote."
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I suck at twitter. Every time I pull up the app it wants to show me shit from days ago. I try to refresh and get more while you were away shit. I know I'm not super active but I don't want stuff from hree days ago dickheads.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A pickup truck pulled off the road, into the shoulder and sidled up next to me. I paused myself and my dog as the window rolled down. The woman in the passenger seat asked me if I knew where the "Garden State...." and in my mind I completed "Parkway is?" before she stopped speaking and prepared to point back the direction she had traveled from, but what she actually said instead of "Parkway" was "Motel". I glanced at the driver and saw a man behind the wheel. The Garden State Motel is a notoriously seedy stop, with hourly rates, on one of the highways (rt 22) that cuts through town. It was also back in the same direction as the Garden State Parkway, so as originally planned I pointed towards the direction they had traveled from, and explained there was a rear entrance after they passed over the Parkway and rt 22, but it is sort of hidden, so if they miss it their other option would be to get on rt 22 West wait for an opportunity to do a u-turn and then head back towards the motel on rt 22 East. She thanked me, as did he, explaining that he really thought it was on this side of the highway. They pulled back out into the street, drove to the gas station down the block to turnaround, and headed off in the direction I had indicated. I walked home with my dog and two bags of his shit.

So I think I got a couple of people laid (and maybe one of them paid) before 4:30AM this morning. What have you accomplished?

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You may have subliminally did more than that.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

You know way too much about that hotel.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote:You know way too much about that hotel.
I have lived here for 12 years. Unmentioned bonus fact: it's right next to a Chuck E. Cheese.

mister d wrote:You may have subliminally did more than that.
Like what?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Planted the idea of a different kind of loving.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

man rummages through glove compartment for a little extra money
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The accommodations are just as seedy as we wanted, but I guess rass didn't pick up on our hints.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That sounds like a Raymond Carver story.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

That's fantastic, Rass.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

There's probably a 75 percent chance Lin Manuel Miranda is an EGOT winner by march. I'm assuming he has the best shot at song from the Moana movie. PEGOT if you count the Pulitzer.

And he will have done it in like two years.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

A_B wrote:There's probably a 75 percent chance Lin Manuel Miranda is an EGOT winner by march. I'm assuming he has the best shot at song from the Moana movie. PEGOT if you count the Pulitzer.

Just looked it up. Seems a bit of a cheat to get PGT for one piece of work.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Fair.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Really the Emmy too.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Shirley wrote:
A_B wrote:There's probably a 75 percent chance Lin Manuel Miranda is an EGOT winner by march. I'm assuming he has the best shot at song from the Moana movie. PEGOT if you count the Pulitzer.

Just looked it up. Seems a bit of a cheat to get PGT for one piece of work.
Makes it more impressive in my eyes.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote:there was a rear entrance ... after they passed... gas..., and headed off... with... two bags of his shit.

Sooo much ... potential in that post.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

At the brewery tonight was a lady painting faces for 5 bucks. Naturally, some of my friends I was out with decided to get their faces painted.

One girl got a cat. Another a butterfly. Another a French bulldog. One dude a "bear" (looked like a wine colored birth mark over 2/3rds of his face).

One of my buddies goes "John! You gotta get your face painted like Harambe!" Everyone gleefully agreed. I said no and they were all like "WTF? Why not?" I said "You realize that's me playing $5 to get blackface, right?" Collectively they were all like "Oooh yea. No. Don't do that." I had to laugh at such an abrupt 180.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

A friend of mine and her fiance just asked me to marry them in 2 weeks.

Still a little taken aback that she would think that highly of me but it's very exciting to be asked to do something like this. Anyone else around here ever gotten ordained to marry a friend/family member? I've got no problem with public speaking, but it's a lot to think about!
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I haven't done it, but I have a friend who has and his best advice is "make sure you're the star of that portion of the night".
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:I haven't done it, but I have a friend who has and his best advice is "make sure you're the star of that portion of the night".
This is definitely the correct answer.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

BSF21 wrote:A friend of mine and her fiance just asked me to marry them in 2 weeks.

Still a little taken aback that she would think that highly of me but it's very exciting to be asked to do something like this. Anyone else around here ever gotten ordained to marry a friend/family member? I've got no problem with public speaking, but it's a lot to think about!
I officiated my niece's wedding last year. They had a script ready for me already, so I just ad-libbed some personal lines about her and her hubby. It was very much an honor.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:I haven't done it, but I have a friend who has and his best advice is "make sure you're the star of that portion of the night".
Crackerjack!

I have a friend who performed another friend's wedding, but he is an ordained minister with his own church and stuff. They just asked him to tone down the Jesusy stuff.
-Pruitt