Autumn Reading Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rush2112
The Dude

Re: Autumn Reading Thread

Post by Rush2112 »

Pruitt wrote:Just ordered it. It had BETTER be good!
I could have sent the eBook.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Thanks, but my shitty e-reader died a while ago.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I haven't picked up a book in nearly two months and that makes me sad. Especially when the two I have from the library (renewed three times) are two I'm dying to read.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

This is one of the better books on North Korea. The author is a journalist who was secretly filming a documentary about North Korea for the BBC, posing as a history professor and travelling with a group of students. A great mix of storytelling taking the reader through his adventure, interspersed with great historical detailing of the 3 Kim's lives, rise to power, styles of ruling, personal lives, and telling the stories of numerous defectors he has interviewed. And also behind the scenes details of how he and one of the students secretly filmed video at various times. Great stuff, written with the trademark English wit, particularly the numerous passive aggressive derisive comments about the latter 2 Kims.

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Sybian wrote:This is one of the better books on North Korea. The author is a journalist who was secretly filming a documentary about North Korea for the BBC, posing as a history professor and travelling with a group of students. A great mix of storytelling taking the reader through his adventure, interspersed with great historical detailing of the 3 Kim's lives, rise to power, styles of ruling, personal lives, and telling the stories of numerous defectors he has interviewed. And also behind the scenes details of how he and one of the students secretly filmed video at various times. Great stuff, written with the trademark English wit, particularly the numerous passive aggressive derisive comments about the latter 2 Kims.

I was just reading about this movie and put it on my netflix queue.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote:
The Sybian wrote:This is one of the better books on North Korea. The author is a journalist who was secretly filming a documentary about North Korea for the BBC, posing as a history professor and travelling with a group of students. A great mix of storytelling taking the reader through his adventure, interspersed with great historical detailing of the 3 Kim's lives, rise to power, styles of ruling, personal lives, and telling the stories of numerous defectors he has interviewed. And also behind the scenes details of how he and one of the students secretly filmed video at various times. Great stuff, written with the trademark English wit, particularly the numerous passive aggressive derisive comments about the latter 2 Kims.

Is it only on DVD? Looked for it online, and it isn't there. They have two other Sweeney documentaries, one on Alexander Litvenenko, the former Russian spy living in London that Putin had poisoned, and another about Gypsy Child trafficking. Sweeney has also written about and made movies about several other evil despots. He must be a blast at parties.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Sybian wrote:
wlu_lax6 wrote:

Is it only on DVD? Looked for it online, and it isn't there. They have two other Sweeney documentaries, one on Alexander Litvenenko, the former Russian spy living in London that Putin had poisoned, and another about Gypsy Child trafficking. Sweeney has also written about and made movies about several other evil despots. He must be a blast at parties.
I am Netflix DVD only so it does show up for me
Not fantastic ratings though
Our best guess for you: 2.2 stars
Average of 7890 ratings: 3.2 stars
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Before the Storm: Barry Goldwater and the Unmaking of the American Consensus.

First of Rick Perlstein's trilogy on the rise of the conservative movement to conquer the GOP. Man he is a good writer. I had the second one, Nixonland on my list for a while, but I read two columns Perlstein wrote during the election which were two of the few cogent, intelligent and ultimately accurate pieces I saw during this dismal season. Third book tells the story of the fall of Nixon and the rise of Reagan. This is gonna be a fun journey. Hopefully I finish it before Thump has finished his destruction of the party and the movement.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I started with "Nixonland" and then devoured "The Invisible Bridge." Both are fantastic. I'm going to order this one, completing the trilogy in an odd order.

But like a good conservative, I'll be looking to the past.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I've had Nixonland audiobook waiting for a long time, been intimidated by the 36 hour play time.
-Pruitt