Trump Administration Meltdown Thread...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Trump Administration Meltdown Thread...

Post by Johnnie »

Well, there are two Air Force Ones, but there's only one president! Sad!
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

EnochRoot wrote:#Drumpf was tweeting today complaining that Boeing gets too much money to provide Air Force One.

He's so god damned incompetent.
I wish it were just incompetence, but this may be a case of calculated vindictiveness. Apparently Boeing's CEO made critical remarks about Trump's trade policies in a recent article. Some are speculating that Trump threatened to cancel Boeing's contract for AF1 in a concerted effort to hurt the company's stock price. And FWIW, the stock price did decline after Trump's Tweet.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Although if the contract really is $4B for two planes ... I kinda agree with Trump.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

If he can get some of the bloated government contract shit outta the way, I'd love that.

And if that money can be steered into, oh just spitballing here, the fucking VA, it would be YUUUGE. I mean, there's gotta be some person in his team that can spin this shit, right?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Alright, fuck it. While I'm already defending Trump tonight <gag> ...

I've always thought the US was being a little bitch in how we've treated Taiwan over the years. China is quite clearly in the wrong on that issue. Taiwan IS a separate country. It has been for decades. It makes us look so scared of China that we're afraid to recognize Taiwan.

I'm not so sure that was Trump's point. But he might have accidentally gotten that one right.
Totally Kafkaesque
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Shirley wrote:Alright, fuck it. While I'm already defending Trump tonight <gag> ...

I've always thought the US was being a little bitch in how we've treated Taiwan over the years. China is quite clearly in the wrong on that issue. Taiwan IS a separate country. It has been for decades. It makes us look so scared of China that we're afraid to recognize Taiwan.

I'm not so sure that was Trump's point. But he might have accidentally gotten that one right.
Do you think a foreign power/ideology should be free to park wherever it wants and exert its influence?

I liken Taiwan to our Cuba.
Noli Timere Messorem
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

From about one year ago.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/16/politics/ ... rms-sales/
(CNN)Despite strong opposition from China, the Obama administration authorized a $1.83 billion weapons sale to Taiwan Wednesday, marking the first U.S. arms shipment to the island in four years.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

EnochRoot wrote:
Shirley wrote:Alright, fuck it. While I'm already defending Trump tonight <gag> ...

Do you think a foreign power/ideology should be free to park wherever it wants and exert its influence?

I liken Taiwan to our Cuba.
AFAIK, opposition to Taiwan had nothing to do with Taiwan's ideology, its treatment of its citizens, or how it behaves in foreign relations. By all accounts, it's a thriving, prosperous, open country. Any opposition to Taiwan comes solely out of China's bullying and the world's fear of China.

I guess there are some parallels to Cuba, but it certainly isn't apples to apples. FWIW, I think we should have opened trade/travel/etc with Cuba long ago as well.
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote:Although if the contract really is $4B for two planes ... I kinda agree with Trump.
But..., it's not. I was listening to NPR this morning, and they were interviewing some journalist who covers the defense industry. According to him the contract is for $175 million, but that is just for design, research and testing. The guy said the numbers seem exorbitant, until you break it down. The plane is a two of a kind, deal, and requires unique capabilities no plane other than AF1 has ever had. The plane needs to be "nuclear hardened," capable of surviving extreme electromagnetic pulses, and function as a complete military operations base, able to conduct actions all over the world.

This guy was saying the current AF1(s) are shockingly outdated. The Googles inform me AF1 is currently a 747-200B, which were built in the 1980s, so I assuming the future AF1 will be a newer model. The current AF1 is supposedly very expensive to maintain and repair, due to the old technology, but I'll leave that to Johnnie to weigh in on. The Googles also tell me (with pictures!) that private citizens have paid over $600 million for customized 747s without all of the nuclear-proof technology and other fun stuff. I imagine AF1 also has some sort of missile defense system. In light of all of that, $4B for 2 planes of that magnitude may not be unreasonable.

The bigger issue I have, is Trump picking and choosing individual government contracts and corporations to target, both for attacking and providing corporate welfare benefits. This is such an enormous issue, and he hasn't even been elected by the Electoral College yet! What is he going to do once he is in office? If this was in response to Boeing criticizing him, that is about as clearest example of a First Amendment violation as possible. As mentioned above, Boeing's stock price took an almost immediate hit (but supposedly recovered). Trump said he wants to see Boeing making money, "but not that much money." WTF?!?!? I thought Conservatives and Trump stand on a principle of government not interfering with business. Regulations limiting pollution, abusing employees and committing fraud on consumers and shareholders are too restrictive, but it's OK for the President to unilaterally dole out millions to individual corporations without disclosure or to Tweet attacks against a single corporation based completely on fabricated information?

The worst part, is a large percentage of the population is going to rally around these moves, because JOBS! and reducing government waste! Sounds great, but how much did Trump give away to save 800 out of 2000 jobs from moving to Mexico? You don't hear much about the 1200 jobs that are still leaving. My fear is that Trump get's credit and adulation for "making better deals" while merely enriching friends and supporters, while punishing detractors. The more he gets away with this now, it's just going to embolden him to expand this practice. Fuck, if I ran a yuuuge corporation, I'd be afraid to criticize Trump, and likely to throw money his way. Great start on getting rid of the corruption in DC! Elect a conman who boasts about abusing the system for his benefit, who refuses to give up his business interests, and we will clean up Washington. We are so fucked.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

People talk of Idiocracy as being prophetic, Trump reminds me of Harold Hill from The Music Man, or the Monorail salesman from the classic Simpsons episode.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Operating costs for planes are quite expensive. And AF1 (x2) maintenance would be crazy. But I think operating costs are factored into other parts of the budget and not specifically R&D.

I had a few friends that were selected to be on the presidential maintenance team. Not only do they need Yankee White clearances (like super top secret G14 classified, dig into your history and talk to everyone you've ever known ever) but the plane is treated as the largest, most defecate thing ever. You might as well be a robot because it's so special that it's being washed by hand (I've heard) when not flying.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Those planes are basically flying NORAD's. The amount of tech packed into them is unprecedented. Also, the Pentagon's estimated price for them was over $3 bil.

(I wish Boeing would've remarked back that they don't want to be strong-armed into value-engineering and cutting corners on such an important project.)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote:Operating costs for planes are quite expensive. And AF1 (x2) maintenance would be crazy. But I think operating costs are factored into other parts of the budget and not specifically R&D.

I had a few friends that were selected to be on the presidential maintenance team. Not only do they need Yankee White clearances (like super top secret G14 classified, dig into your history and talk to everyone you've ever known ever) but the plane is treated as the largest, most defecate thing ever. You might as well be a robot because it's so special that it's being washed by hand (I've heard) when not flying.
I wasn't implying maintenance was included in the Boeing contract budget, just that the current AF1's costs high, and would probably be much lower with a new plane. Karl Rove backed up much of what I heard on NPR. There is no contract, other than the $175M. Rove said the actual AF1 planes are 29 years old, not just the model being that old, but the actual planes. That can't be good. I want to see if Trump tries to take his current plane and upgrade it into AF1.

I'm very relieved to see Rove speaking out against Trump's meddling with individual corporation. I even saw Trump flunky and Real World cast member Representative Sean Duffy speaking out against Trump intimidating the media and his advisors mentioning the possible ban of media outlets that are critical of Trump.

-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Divided States of Embarrassment* (HT: Eminem)

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote:Divided States of Embarrassment* (HT: Eminem)

Highlight of that asshole's year.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote:That can't be good. I want to see if Trump tries to take his current plane and upgrade it into AF1.
All at a very "responsible" cost to the gov't of course. (Check directly payable to Trump Enterprises, of course).
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Some art director at TIME either has a sick/hilarious sense of humor or this is pure chance, but....

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

They are Slaughtering us Like Animals.
On Saturday, Mr. Duterte said that, in a telephone call the day before, President-elect Donald J. Trump had endorsed the brutal antidrug campaign and invited him to visit New York and Washington. “He said that, well, we are doing it as a sovereign nation, the right way,” Mr. Duterte said in a summary of the call released by his office.
It's a visceral, graphical read, and it's not for the faint of heart.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Noli Timere Messorem
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Wow. I had no idea that was going on. That was an incredible way to tell the story as well. Internet journalism at its best.

Update - I was referring the article about the Philippines.
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

So the new head of the EPA is actively suing the EPA.

And Linda McMahon. of the WWE, is the new head of the Small Business Administration.

If you need me, I'll be out back, digging my bomb shelter.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote:So the new head of the EPA is actively suing the EPA.

And Linda McMahon. of the WWE, is the new head of the Small Business Administration.

Interesting how Trump bucked the Republican establishment, yet more than any other candidate, he has brought forth a cabinet that will add new meaning to the term "voting against their own interests."

Glad the little man, the forgotten rust belt workers who supposedly swung this election are going to get their voices heard. Idiots.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I think he's daring the Electoral College to not cast their vote for him.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote:
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

EnochRoot wrote:

I think he's daring the Electoral College to not cast their vote for him.
And they laughed at Caligula when he made his horse a Senator...
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Pruitt wrote:Glad the little man, the forgotten rust belt workers who supposedly swung this election are going to get their voices heard. Idiots.
They'll be fine, because at no point will Trump ever say "Black Lives Matter."
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I bet Trump frames Time magazine, and hangs it next to his framed 2006 Man of the Year, when he previously earned the title.
-Pruitt
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I think the distinction should have gone to the id. No person loomed larger in 2016 than the id.

(No, not the ID, though that looks certain to have its day soon too.)
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I can't wait until Trump names a tobacco company CEO as Surgeon General.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote:I bet Trump frames Time magazine, and hangs it next to his framed 2006 Man of the Year, when he previously earned the title.
What have you done in the 10 years since you've won?
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Hillary's lead is up to 2.7 million. Do you think she'll win?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

DaveInSeattle wrote:I can't wait until Trump names a tobacco company CEO as Surgeon General.
Still surprised Christie didn't get Health & Human Services.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:I can't wait until Trump names a tobacco company CEO as Surgeon General.
Still surprised Christie didn't get Health & Human Services.
He kinda has to be Transportation, no?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Department of Exercise and Traffic Management
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Well, his VP doesn't believe cigarettes cause cancer.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

GIff, is that joke? I don't feel like googling it.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

L-Jam3 wrote:GIff, is that joke? I don't feel like googling it.
In 2000, Gov. Mike Pence (R-IN), then running for an open U.S. House seat, came out against a proposed settlement between government and the tobacco industry, calling it “big government.” In a shocking editorial, he wrote: “Time for a quick reality check. Despite the hysteria from the political class and the media, smoking doesn’t kill.” Pence acknowledged that smoking is not “good for you,” but claimed that two-thirds of smokers do not die from smoking related illness and “9 out of ten smokers do not contract lung cancer.” He warned of a slippery-slope in which government would soon seek to discourage fatty foods, caffeine, and SUVs.
Of course, this is what a charlatan who lives in the pockets of tobacco companies would say.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Hey if a product only kills 1/3 of its users, that's pretty good, right?
Totally Kafkaesque