MLS 2016: The Quickening

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Shirley
The Dude

Re: MLS 2016: The Quickening

Post by Shirley »

When they talk about weekly salaries, is that multiplied by 52 to get yearly earnings? Or only by the length of the season?
Totally Kafkaesque
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

That's a really good question. It seems to me that soccer teams play more "out of season" games than in most American sports. If a team makes it to the CONCACAF knockout rounds, they will be playing in late February or early March. So I would assume it's for 52 weeks.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I believe the weekly thing is just the Euro way of describing salaries and as a result they went with that model in the study
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

It can't be 52 weeks, can it? That's $5.2MM per year which only a handful of non-NYCFC players make.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:It can't be 52 weeks, can it? That's $5.2MM per year which only a handful of non-NYCFC players make.

Surely over season length.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote:It can't be 52 weeks, can it? That's $5.2MM per year which only a handful of non-NYCFC players make.
Yeah, when you put it that way ...
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

As I type this, there are thousands of Toronto FC fans marching towards BMO Field. Snow is going to start soon.

Canadian soccer mania!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ohhhhhhh fuck that save.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Bradley...
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Solid pass.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote:Ohhhhhhh fuck that save.
Why don't we ever get good things in Toronto?

I've got to go back to the basement and clean up the mess.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Pretty stellar. And certainly the moment of the match.

Watching Torres and Marshall match up against Jozy was fun. Still pretty much in shock that the Sounders were able to pull it out. Did not have a good feeling at all going into the PK's.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote:

Watching Torres and Marshall match up against Jozy was fun. Still pretty much in shock that the Sounders were able to pull it out. Did not have a good feeling at all going into the PK's.
Giovinco played like crap for the whole game, but still odd that he wasn't on the field. Odder still that the replacement striker didn't take a PK.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Pruitt wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:

Giovinco played like crap for the whole game, but still odd that he wasn't on the field. Odder still that the replacement striker didn't take a PK.
Man he was looking for calls all night. Giovinco was getting bumped but the ref decided pretty early those would not be calls
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Pruitt wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:

Giovinco was diving like crazy.

Morris was pretty much shut down the entire game. Good sub to get him out before the PK's and get Brad Evans in for him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

In terms of the losing PK, ringing it off the crossbar has to be the best of the worst, right?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

mister d wrote:In terms of the losing PK, ringing it off the crossbar has to be the best of the worst, right?
Not worse than this
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Then there's this bit of comedy gold.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I said "best", darn you. Like missing obviously sucks, but there's a hierarchy.

(Villa slipped this year on one too. Its weird to watch.)
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Pruitt wrote:Then there's this bit of comedy gold.

THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

MLS Silly Season is underway.
Sean Johnson traded from Fire to ATL and then to NYCFC. He and Hamid were thought to be the future for the US goalie but now probably by Ethan Horvath (who is set to transfer to Club Brugge).
DC United traded two reserves (one to Portland and one to Galaxy) so they could reduce exposure in the expansion draft.

Expansion Draft tomorrow at 2
http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/2 ... ed-players
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I hate watching Saunders so getting a new #1 this weekend, no matter who, is fine by me.

Expansion draft: I'm surprised we protected Mix and his large salary and non-playing time unless that means a transfer out is already in the works. I wouldn't be surprised if we lost Shannon Gomez tomorrow. Anyone else would be a surprise.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote:In terms of the losing PK, ringing it off the crossbar has to be the best of the worst, right?
I mean, there are embarrassing misses, as has been shown, but...

Generally, a miss is a miss. There's absolutely no consolation for the kicker because the odds are stacked so heavily in their favor. If a keeper guesses correctly, you kind of have to give him props and move on. But I can tell you, even when you guess the right way, if a guy hits it with enough pace and puts it side netting... Very VERY hard to stop (unless you cheat and move early.)

So, often when a goalie guesses correctly and makes a save... Watch the shot. Did the guy actually get good pace on it? Did he put it side netting, or did he actually fuck up and put it 3 yards off the post, making the goalie's save a shit load easier?

/way too much info, but fuck it, I'm bored at work
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, that's what I was asking. Final Miss Guy can rest easier than Bradley, I would think.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote:

Generally, a miss is a miss. There's absolutely no consolation for the kicker because the odds are stacked so heavily in their favor. If a keeper guesses correctly, you kind of have to give him props and move on. But I can tell you, even when you guess the right way, if a guy hits it with enough pace and puts it side netting... Very VERY hard to stop (unless you cheat and move early.)

So, often when a goalie guesses correctly and makes a save... Watch the shot. Did the guy actually get good pace on it? Did he put it side netting, or did he actually fuck up and put it 3 yards off the post, making the goalie's save a shit load easier?

Going high to me always seemed like a ballsy move. Just the added chance of missing it over the bar when you have the advantage. Also love the trade off of the down the middle shot. % should be high but missing is a big deal.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

wlu_lax6 wrote:DC United traded two reserves (one to Portland and one to Galaxy) so they could reduce exposure in the expansion draft.
Portland immediately declined Igboananike's option. They were just in it for the international slot.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

wlu_lax6 wrote:
Nonlinear FC wrote:

Going high to me always seemed like a ballsy move. Just the added chance of missing it over the bar when you have the advantage. Also love the trade off of the down the middle shot. % should be high but missing is a big deal.
Hugely ballsy to go anywhere above the shoulders. The amount of guys that sky it because their shoulders fall back too far... One of my buddies pulled a Baggio at Messiah in the NCAAs... Always regrets going high... Dude has a cannon and just needed to lace it low.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

P.D.X. wrote:
wlu_lax6 wrote:DC United traded two reserves (one to Portland and one to Galaxy) so they could reduce exposure in the expansion draft.
Portland immediately declined Igboananike's option. They were just in it for the international slot.
It will be interesting to see what happens. Atlanta seems to be making a ton of smart moves getting the roster ready for next year. Already have 14 ready to go (including two solid youth National teamers, Miguel Almirón and Parkhurst) and should be getting Guzan in the net. Minnesota had 3 players on the roster (one who is still got Navy Duty responsibilities, one who played for the NASL side, and a Chivas USA alum.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nothing to interesting from the expansion picks...well except Atlanta taking 2 goalies (strange when you hear Guzan is going there). Although I am not sure I would pay DP salary for Guzan when you just picked up Clint Irwin.

Rnd Atlanta United Minnesota United
1 D - Donny Toia (MTL) D - Chris Duvall (NY)
2 D - Zach Loyd (DAL) M - Collen Warner (HOU)
3 GK - Clint Irwin (TOR) M - Mohammed Saeid (CLB)
4 D - Mikey Ambrose (ORL) GK - Jeff Attinella (RSL)
5 GK - Alec Kann (SKC) F - Femi Hollinger-Janzen (NE)

Looks like the teams risking high price vets generally came out okay (example DC United leaving Boswell and Opare unprotected)

Atlanta has said there are some prearranged trades are coming later today.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Irwin is a trade it sounds like
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think I saw both goalies and a couple others are already lined up for trades.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Minn trades Duvall and some $ to Impact for John Venegas
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

From today's Sounders rally:
A bicycle officer was injured in a collision with a trolley near the Sounders FC march and rally at the Seattle Center, according to the Seattle Police Department.

The officer and the trolley collided at Queen Anne Avenue North and Mercer Street, police said in a tweet.

The officer was taken to Harborview Medical Center with injuries that were not life-threatening, said officer Sean Whitcomb, a police spokesman.
Whoops...
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Simulation hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Atl trades Donny Toia for Orlando's first pick in the 2017 superdraft.

Atlanta also traded back to Toronto for Mark Bloom and $
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

wlu_lax6 wrote:Atlanta also traded back to Toronto
That's not very Southern at all!