NFL Week 14

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: NFL Week 14

Post by Pruitt »

degenerasian wrote:if you could be teleported into a GM position, would you choose the Browns, 49ers, Rams, Bills or Bears?
Oh God...

Conventional wisdom may say to get on board with the Bills, but they may be ion the worst QB position of all those teams as they aren't going to be drafting too high, they don;t have a QB who could improve on the team, and if they want to keep their mediocrity of a QB, it will cost them a fortune.

But on the bright side, a Bills GM would have they pleasure of firing the Ryans - the defensive geniuses.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

San Fran or LA. It snows in the other cities.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

degenerasian wrote:if you could be teleported into a GM position, would you choose the Browns, 49ers, Rams, Bills or Bears?
In order, that's Haslam, York, Kroenke, Pegula, or the McCaskeys.

The first two are automatic cross-outs due to owner. As a Bears fan, that would seem to be the choice, but I suspect ownership incompetence is going a long, long way there, too.
Johnnie wrote:San Fran or LA. It snows in the other cities.
I guess LA may have something going for it besides weather...

“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'd be shocked if Harbaugh left after two years, about as shocked as I'd have been at any coaching change ever.

I think he probably does leave for the NFL at some point but most likely after five or so years -- I don't think it will be to tutor Goff and at a grease fire of a front office.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote:I'd be shocked if Harbaugh left after two years, about as shocked as I'd have been at any coaching change ever.

I think he probably does leave for the NFL at some point but most likely after five or so years -- I don't think it will be to tutor Goff and at a grease fire of a front office.
I don't think he'll leave now, either, but if/when he does return to the NFL, I imagine it will be in a "house cleaned" situation where he gets a strong hand in roster construction/evaluation.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

San Fran because worst case you're still in San Fran.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

brian wrote:I'd be shocked if Harbaugh left after two years, about as shocked as I'd have been at any coaching change ever.

+1.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'm still aghast that this can happen during an NFL game, but this was the play in question where a penalty was enforced on Detroit. How can this even happen? Shouldn't the official who called the penalty have fixed it after the referee announced it wrong (or whatever idiotic sequence of events happened?)

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Russel Wilson looked like he was trying to throw the ball with his left-hand yesterday. Almost "Tebow-esque" in his accuracy.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Another crazy stat that doesn't mean anything and is likely mostly coincidental (and based on QB for than anything probably, but...

Teams with the most fourth-quarter comebacks in a season in NFL history (2016 Lions - 8 and 2009 Colts - 7) both coached by Jim Caldwell.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Wasn't Triplette the idiot who blew the overtime coin toss between the Steelers and Lions a few years back?

And in case you missed it, they sent plows out to clear the field in Buffalo yesterday. Game was delayed due to an unsafe accumulation of those rubber pellets that are all over the new era astro-turf.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

BTW, that Pitt-Buf game yesterday was the most lopsided 27-20 game I've ever seen. But for a couple of key plays - bad int by Ben in the red zone and an odd defensive holding call that nullified a pick-6 - it could have been 21-0 before Buffalo got their first first down.
Totally Kafkaesque
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Jeff Fisher's been fired.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

Sabo wrote:Jeff Fisher's been fired.
There's a welcome sentence!
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Pruitt wrote:Wasn't Triplette the idiot who blew the overtime coin toss between the Steelers and Lions a few years back?

And in case you missed it, they sent plows out to clear the field in Buffalo yesterday. Game was delayed due to an unsafe accumulation of those rubber pellets that are all over the new era astro-turf.

Totally random threadjack (i don't watch/follow the NFL and I stumbled in here just now): There's a pretty big scandal going on regarding FieldTurf, the NJ-based company that manufactures and installs a ton of these new fields.

No idea if this is one of theirs, but it sure is indicative of one of the major failings of these fields. Those fucking pellets, man.

The club team I coach has a permit for one of these fields and the pellets are g-d nightmare. And the one time we got a dusting of snow, the pellets were basically caking onto everything.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rams Fanny wrote:
You'd think they could have at least let him coach one more game so he could break the record.
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

I wish Vegas would allow betting on coaching replacements. They pretty much have to hire an offensive minded coach. My guess is that Kronke is going to back the Brinks truck up for Jon Gruden. Norv Turner has been floated but I think he's proven he's a superior coordinator to head coach.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

they should look at whoever engineered that Giants' shutdown of the Dallas offense last night.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rams Fanny wrote:I wish Vegas would allow betting on coaching replacements. They pretty much have to hire an offensive minded coach. My guess is that Kronke is going to back the Brinks truck up for Jon Gruden. Norv Turner has been floated but I think he's proven he's a superior coordinator to head coach.
Jim Bob Cooter, LA Rams Head Coach
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
In order, that's Haslam, York, Kroenke, Pegula, or the McCaskeys.

The first two are automatic cross-outs due to owner. As a Bears fan, that would seem to be the choice, but I suspect ownership incompetence is going a long, long way there, too.
Johnnie wrote:San Fran or LA. It snows in the other cities.
I guess LA may have something going for it besides weather...

Why on earth would Harbaugh leave for the dumpster fire that is the LA Rams? He's got the path to glory laid out for him at Michigan.
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nonlinear FC wrote:
Totally random threadjack (i don't watch/follow the NFL and I stumbled in here just now): There's a pretty big scandal going on regarding FieldTurf, the NJ-based company that manufactures and installs a ton of these new fields.

No idea if this is one of theirs, but it sure is indicative of one of the major failings of these fields. Those fucking pellets, man.

The club team I coach has a permit for one of these fields and the pellets are g-d nightmare. And the one time we got a dusting of snow, the pellets were basically caking onto everything.
My daughter's teams play on a number of those fields, and those pellets get in everything. Honestly, look at how quickly the grounds crew in Toronto repaired a grass field between the Grey Cup and the MLS semi game 4 days later. It can be done.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

He just received a new contract, right? If it was guaranteed, then I guess you can assume the GM is getting fired, too.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote:
He just received a new contract, right? If it was guaranteed, then I guess you can assume the GM is getting fired, too.
It was guaranteed, but he didn't just receive it. It was signed in the offseason but just leaked a couple of weeks ago (presumably by Fisher's people I'd imagine to make it harder to fire him without the front office looking stupid).
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

brian wrote:
Rams Fanny wrote:
You'd think they could have at least let him coach one more game so he could break the record.
Tackled by Mike Jones at the 165-loss line
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Sorry, but just to hammer on this a bit more:

* Harbaugh bought a house a few doors down from Bo's old home, so he could walk the same route to the practice facility and the stadium.

* As has been well-documented, he grew up in Ann Arbor, on the sidelines in the stadium to be exact. He played QB at Pioneer HS, literally across the street from the stadium before moving to Palo Alto. All this from 73-80, the height of the Woody - Bo years. As a kid a little bit younger, I really can't tell you how brainwashed we all were during that era. The sickness is real.

* He has been provided a very clear mission, with a war chest and all the tools required to return his alma mater to its former glory. He has a compliant and supportive AD and overall administration.

IOW, the exact opposite of the bullshit he had to deal with in SFO and would undoubtedly have to deal with at another NFL team.

* His current compensation, when you factor in two interest free loans, is a little over $9 million. Even taking away those loans, he'd be the 4th highest paid NFL coach this year.

* He's clearly having fun. The kids are only there for 4-5 years, so he knows he can push them and mold them in ways you just can't get away with in the NFL. And his recruiting efforts are already becoming the stuff of legend (good and bad).

=-=-=-=-=-=

I'm not saying he'll NEVER leave. But these NFL scribes are the same tools that said up and down, over and over, that Harbaugh would never EVER leave the NFL to coach in college. Meanwhile, folks with real inside information were saying for months, an especially those last 3 weeks not to listen to writers with no true inside intel...

Just saying... Don't trust these guys. They are shills pushing someone's agenda, and from what we learned from the SFO deal and many others, that agenda is usually owner/front office/league HQ - driven.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So he's gone before the bowl game?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Rams Fanny wrote:I wish Vegas would allow betting on coaching replacements. They pretty much have to hire an offensive minded coach. My guess is that Kronke is going to back the Brinks truck up for Jon Gruden. Norv Turner has been floated but I think he's proven he's a superior coordinator to head coach.
I agree wholeheartedly with the bolded part. LA fans who fled yesterday need to be entertained.

To paraphrase Aaron Schatz in the "Off the Charts" podcast this week, "Fisher's good offenses in Tennessee were Eddie George for a yard on first down, George for two yards on second, then McNair makes an amazing play for a first down."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote:So he's gone before the bowl game?
Put it this way at least -- if/when he does leave it won't be about the money. The worst of the NFL writers on Twitter are of the "he can't turn down $12-$15M, can he?" But yeah, he can. Especially when as noted he's already making $9M and getting to basically live out his childhood dreams.

If we're having this conversation in 2019 or 2020 and Michigan has won a couple of B1G titles and/or a national title and someone with a good front office/QB situation backs a Brinks truck to his door, then maybe. Until then, not going to happen.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Meanwhile, in Cleveland...

An aside: As much as I thought the Cincinnati game was the Browns' Super Bowl, I think they might have a chance to beat Buffalo. That looked like a Buffalo team that has thrown in the towel yesterday.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
I agree wholeheartedly with the bolded part. LA fans who fled yesterday need to be entertained.

To paraphrase Aaron Schatz in the "Off the Charts" podcast this week, "Fisher's good offenses in Tennessee were Eddie George for a yard on first down, George for two yards on second, then McNair makes an amazing play for a first down."
Yeah, I think it's fair to say that Jared Goff has not yet received real NFL-level quarterback coaching. If he's the future, you better find the right people to groom him.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

brian wrote:Meanwhile, in Cleveland...

An aside: As much as I thought the Cincinnati game was the Browns' Super Bowl, I think they might have a chance to beat Buffalo. That looked like a Buffalo team that has thrown in the towel yesterday.
Tony Rizzo is the most self-aggrandizing tool in the Cleveland sports media, and that's saying something. I kinda wish he would start a fight if this parade happens just so everyone can see his ass beaten.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I don't know anything about the guy, but I can say with some degree of personal experience that most real fans aren't going to want to participate in any kind of a parade after an 0-16 season. Head out to the bar with some buddies and do some shots Sunday night after the last game, sure. But even gallows humor has its limits. (Also, it's cold in Cleveland in January. F that.)
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote:Meanwhile, in Cleveland...

You smack the Bills and they go down and don't get up.

But they win by 10 this weekend. This Browns team is historically awful, and there are a lot of decent and very frustrated players on the Bills.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Bills have a good core of talent as you mention, they just need to a coaching staff that's not just a name but an actual good coach.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Malcolm Mitchell needs to do a little bit more work in the 2nd. 30 yard catch or two 10 yarders or something.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Cyrus Jones needs to be cut ASAP. Dude's a liability.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

YEA BROTHER!

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Johnnie wrote:Cyrus Jones needs to be cut ASAP. Dude's a liability.

That's a start.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

That onside kick makes no sense to me.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Gruden for coach of the Rams, plz.