Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Gunpowder
The Dude

Re: Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Post by Gunpowder »

Pruitt wrote:
A_B wrote:
brian wrote:Defriended my Dad and about 40 other people on Facebook and feel really good about it. In fact not sure if I care if I ever talk to my Dad again

I talked to mine last the day my oldest daughter was born. The one with whom I visited colleges this weekend.
I see my father once, maybe twice a year. Since he got remarried (12 years ago) I can barely stand being in the same room as him. Tonight was my nephew's Bar Mitzvah and my father made a point of saying hi to my son while ignoring my daughter who was standing next to him.

Used to blame his cunt of a wife for all this shit, but he's a big boy, and has made his choices.

I talk to mine about twice a year to hear how I'm selfish for not breaking up with my gf and moving back to Pittsburgh, so I can hear about all of the stuff I should be doing differently in person, I guess.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Clearly no. And I've run out of patience trying to deal with people. I'd usually get all crusade-y and fuck them up with some truth, but I'm never going to change someone's opinion. And certainly not on Facebook.

If I ever do see these people in person, all bets are off. But the reality is, despite knowing personally a solid majority of the 800+ people I'm friends with, the likelihood that I'll see even half of them in person again is very slim. It's not worth my effort or energy. I'm tired.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote:
brian wrote:Defriended my Dad and about 40 other people on Facebook and feel really good about it. In fact not sure if I care if I ever talk to my Dad again

I talked to mine last the day my oldest daughter was born. The one with whom I visited colleges this weekend.
Damn. I can't imagine. Then again, my parents are on vacation in Mexico, so if they don't return before the wall goes up, I may never see them again.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

The Sybian wrote:Damn. I can't imagine. Then again, my parents are on vacation in Mexico, so if they don't return before the wall goes up, I may never see them again.
Nice knowing you dildo and vibrator.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

+1 ^

Took me a second. That's gold.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

No...they just know what they wont stand for in their Murica and you damn well better fall in line
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Last edited by tennbengal on Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

And, Facebook also provides a sales platform for bootleg Calvin-and-Hobbes t-shirts and coffee mugs.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

If Phillips is attempting to confuse with this article as a means to illustrate the confusion of fake news and FB not using editors, he succeeded. That thing is a slog to get through. I say that as someone who generally enjoys his work. This piece is screaming out for an editor though.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

govmentchedda wrote:If Phillips is attempting to confuse with this article as a means to illustrate the confusion of fake news and FB not using editors, he succeeded. That thing is a slog to get through. I say that as someone who generally enjoys his work. This piece is screaming out for an editor though.
Yeah, I couldn't make it through more than a couple of paragraphs. Bengal, this forum really isn't a great platform for reading those kinds of long articles. They might serve better as just a link with a short blurb.
Totally Kafkaesque
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I read it from your FB link and enjoyed it TB.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

To be clear, my issue wasn't with the posting of it here, but the wide ranging references, and the assumptions that we should draw from them.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

tennbengal wrote:.
That's more fitting my attention span!
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Smartest TB post all year buuurrrnnn!!!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

For some reason since last Wednesday, I'm not seeing nearly as ridiculous things as I did before that.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Fidel Castro is dead? 2016 officially totally sucks. RIP.
Not being ironic. First post I saw this morning.

This guy also said that Florence Henderson's death was proof that this has been a terrible year.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I've been watching everyone's "2016 year in review" videos just to skip ahead and see how many Likes they doled out in the past year. So far I've seen a range from 93 to almost 20,000.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Haven't posted since the election. Haven't logged in over a week, I think. Only my sister has even messaged me with "Holy crap. What happened to your profile? Did you get in trouble?" I'm glad I'm done with the site.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

rass wrote:I've been watching everyone's "2016 year in review" videos just to skip ahead and see how many Likes they doled out in the past year. So far I've seen a range from 93 to almost 20,000.
Just last night I mocked my wife for having just over a thousand.

(Just checked. I had 12.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

"We're sorry, we don't have enough content to make a video for you."
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

rass wrote:I've been watching everyone's "2016 year in review" videos just to skip ahead and see how many Likes they doled out in the past year. So far I've seen a range from 93 to almost 20,000.
1523 for me. I wonder how many of those were for John Richard's posts during the KEXP morning show.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I didn't post mine, but I was up over 5000. I do go out of my way to courteously Like every comment left under any post I make, so I think a lot of them are from that.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

rass wrote:I didn't post mine, but I was up over 5000. I do go out of my way to courteously Like every comment left under any post I make, so I think a lot of them are from that.
I'm around 5300, but didn't post it.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

From June:
Pruitt wrote:
Assange/Wikileaks is in bed with Putin and Russia - and trying to get Trump elected. Drumpf and Putin are besties - how does that maker all you red-blooded anti-commie folks feel?
To my outraged Progressive friends - be careful what you believe. We are now dealing with State Sponsored agitprop specifically designed to elect Trump.

I'm not sure how this ended up in "ridiculous things" and not "Accurate Statements You Read On Facebook"
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rex wrote:From June:
Pruitt wrote:
Assange/Wikileaks is in bed with Putin and Russia - and trying to get Trump elected. Drumpf and Putin are besties - how does that maker all you red-blooded anti-commie folks feel?
To my outraged Progressive friends - be careful what you believe. We are now dealing with State Sponsored agitprop specifically designed to elect Trump.

I'm not sure how this ended up in "ridiculous things" and not "Accurate Statements You Read On Facebook"
Holy shit.

Although when I was 7 or 8 and just learning about all things nuclear, I am pretty sure that I prayed for the Us and the USSR to become close friends.

Looks like my prayers may have finally been answered.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Been seeing a lot of memes like this one. It drives me nuts. Brian Williams sensationalized a personal anecdote while telling a story on Letterman. The basic story was true, but he had some of the facts wrong. It was in no way a news story, and absolutely not pushing an agenda. This incident is constantly used as proof that the Liberal Media lies and can't be trusted, as a false equivalent when Fox or other Righty news sources are caught lying. Drawing an equivalency between fake news stories about Hillary running a child sex slave ring out of the basement of a pizza place is not the equivalent of telling a story on Letterman saying your helicopter was disabled by gunfire, when in reality it was merely hit with gunfire, but another helicopter with them was downed, and they landed and waited with them. Doesn't fucking matter. Doesn't affect anything, except the level of danger Williams was in at the time.

Reading the comments makes it very clear how Trump has so many followers, and how people refuse to believe reality over bizarre conspiracy theories.

-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Well, he apparently embellished a lot of stories, not just the copter one, but I agree with your point. I didn't realize he was considered a big Liberal. But I guess if you don't work for Fox, Drudge, or Brietbart, you're a libtard.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

He's still great on 30 rock
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Rank these words/phrases in the order that they make you want to ragequit Facebook and also maybe physically harm someone if that were socially acceptable and legal

a. "Kiddos"
b. "Preggers"
c. "Hubs"
d. "Love them"
e. "Stinking cute"
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Ryan wrote:Rank these words/phrases in the order that they make you want to ragequit Facebook and also maybe physically harm someone if that were socially acceptable and legal

a. "Kiddos"
b. "Preggers"
c. "Hubs"
d. "Love them"
e. "Stinking cute"
B, E, D, C, A

With an honorable mention to "sexytimes" or any other way of not being able to say secks in public.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I will sometimes use "kiddo" in conversation with kids on my daughters' sports teams. Not on FB. And the rest of them are obvs annoying but whatevs.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

C, B, E, A, D.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I don't have an aversion to these words at all. It's probably because of my lack of children mixed with a momentary feel good for my friends with kids/families.

I'll get pissed more from the people that act as though they are intelligent when they are clearly a D+ student with a raging sense of entitlement. They are usually political experts.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Here's one: Recently a Chief Master Sergeant in North Carolina drove drunk and killed a 17 year old. It's a heartbreaking story. The young man was on life support and the family decided to pull the plug. Well, the resident "Fired Up Chief" of the Air Force made this post -- and it's still up days later!

If you want to read the comments, that mother fucker got ripped to shreds.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

F. "I have no opinion on this, can we move on to something I actually have a personal connection to?"
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Ryan wrote:Rank these words/phrases in the order that they make you want to ragequit Facebook and also maybe physically harm someone if that were socially acceptable and legal

a. "Kiddos"
b. "Preggers"
c. "Hubs"
d. "Love them"
e. "Stinking cute"
E, C, B, D, A

My addition would be AMAZING (in all caps like that) to describe mundane everyday shit.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Ryan wrote:F. "I have no opinion on this, can we move on to something I actually have a personal connection to?"
D, E,.....(c,b,a)

Hey, you just happened to bump the thread and I wanted to post. Stinking cute.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

It's a tragic story, and I am grateful to the approximately 100 of my friends who felt the need to inform the world that Debbie Reynolds passed away.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote:It's a tragic story, and I am grateful to the approximately 100 of my friends who felt the need to inform the world that Debbie Reynolds passed away.
Right? Why the fuck is my feed full of Debbie Reynolds? If she died before Carrie Fisher, would anyone have cared?
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote:
Pruitt wrote:It's a tragic story, and I am grateful to the approximately 100 of my friends who felt the need to inform the world that Debbie Reynolds passed away.
Right? Why the fuck is my feed full of Debbie Reynolds? If she died before Carrie Fisher, would anyone have cared?
"Cared" or "Facebook cared?"

Guy I used to work with jut got around to posting a picture of a ticket stub from a George Michael show he went to 15 years ago. I hold my tongue, but this whole spectacle of public grieving is repellant to me.