Trump Administration Meltdown Thread...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Trump Administration Meltdown Thread...

Post by Johnnie »

A_B wrote:So If Obama knew enough to chastise putin in September why didn't they fight fire with fire vis a vis the email stuff?

I'm not trying to stir shit because again I'm no huge trumper but that seems odd
We should just overthrow their government. Half kidding.

Yea, I don't get this at all. Like..what's going on here? Makes me think General Breedlove had a point.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote:So If Obama knew enough to chastise putin in September why didn't they fight fire with fire vis a vis the email stuff?

I'm not trying to stir shit because again I'm no huge trumper but that seems odd

I just watched Trevor Noah's interview with Obama, and he said he can't understand why anyone cared about the leaked e-mails that said nothing of interest, when there was so many shocking things coming out of Trump's mouth. Maybe they didn't want to draw more attention to the e-mails? Maybe they wanted to make sure they had more evidence before throwing out that big of an accusation?

Yesterday a friend posted on Facebook making fun of the "crybaby sore loser Liberals" whining about Russia. Am I biased, or does it seem a lot more partisan to laugh about Russia using espionage to sway the election because they wanted your guy, and your guy won, or to be angry, horrified, and want to investigate to determine what happened to prevent it from happening again? If Russia did something to fuck over a Republican to give Hillary the WH, I really think I would be pissed and want to find out what happened. If Hillary won and 17 Intel Agencies and now the FBI said the Russian government somehow swayed the election for Hillary, could you imagine the shit Hannity, Alex Jones, and even sane Conservatives would be doing? Or worse, if the Russians helped Bernie win, imagine all of the "Bernie is a Commie who will turn the US into a Soviet hellscape!!!!!" shit we'd be hearing.

Anyway, someone responded by chastising my friend for making this partisan, and posted a great piece on FoxNews about Mitch McConnell giving a press conference saying how troubling this is, it isn't partisan, and we need to investigate. Shep went off on Trump. Played a tape of Trump blowing off the story, pausing Trump every few sentences to call him a liar. On the plus side, if FoxNews is standing up to Trump, and McConnell is going against Trump, maybe there is some hope.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote:even sane Conservatives
Assumes facts not in evidence, Counsellor...
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Ice is slipping in his old age. He should have accepted and performed "Cop Killer"
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Johnnie wrote:

We should just overthrow their government. Half kidding.

Yea, I don't get this at all. Like..what's going on here? Makes me think General Breedlove had a point.
There's a pretty stark contrast between the rhetoric used by Obama and that used by a lot of liberal media members. I think it's pretty clear from Obama's response that, for better or worse, he doesn't view Russia's actions as an act or war or as casting doubt on the legitimacy of the election results. I know that's not what a lot of Clinton supporters wanted to hear but that's the best explanation for his restraint both at the time and now. Based on Obama's response, I doubt there will be an extensive Congressional investigation either before or after Trump's inauguration -- no chance this reaches the level of Watergate or Iran-Contra -- and I think it's fair to say that there won't be more than 1 or 2 Electoral College defectors.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

The Sybian wrote: If Russia did something to fuck over a Republican to give Hillary the WH, I really think I would be pissed and want to find out what happened. If Hillary won and 17 Intel Agencies and now the FBI said the Russian government somehow swayed the election for Hillary, could you imagine the shit Hannity, Alex Jones, and even sane Conservatives would be doing? Or worse, if the Russians helped Bernie win, imagine all of the "Bernie is a Commie who will turn the US into a Soviet hellscape!!!!!" shit we'd be hearing.
I agree with your point about the hypocrisy of the right wing. But I'm going to play devil's advocate and say that I'm somewhat skeptical that many Democrats or dissenting Republicans (e.g., McCain and Graham) actually have a principled position on foreign meddling. Let's say Trump announces tomorrow that he is going to fulfill his patriotic duty and step aside because of the Russia stuff. What would happen if it came out a few days later that Trump's tax return was accessed and leaked to the New York Times by intelligence agents from China or Mexico, or some other country with a legitimate and rational preference for Clinton? (Obviously that leak was probably just done by one of Trump's former wives or attorneys, but whoever did it committed a crime.) How many Democrats who have been questioning the integrity of the election results for the past month would then call for Clinton to step aside in favor of a President Ted Cruz or President Bernie Sanders? Or would call for a large-scale Congressional inquiry? Even using the original scenario you posited of Putin trying to assist Clinton, you'd certainly get the outrage from the Hannity and Alex Jones types, but there'd also be a large degree of "even Putin knows that Trump is too dangerous" as the reaction.

The broader point I'm trying to make is that I think the reaction to the Trump-Russia stuff is driven by a combination of the following two underlying assumptions: (1) Trump is a uniquely unacceptable President; and (2) Russia is a uniquely malicious international actor. While I agree 100% with the first assumption, I'm a bit skeptical of the second one. Putin is a bad actor in many respects, but I also think we have and would condone business and/or lobbying ties to other bad actors if they came from a more mainstream candidate. The obvious example of this is that Saudi Arabia is every bit as bad as Russia when it comes to human rights and foreign interventions, and is miles worse when it comes to facilitating violence against Americans. But I highly doubt Jeb Bush would've gotten much heat for the Bush family's extensive business ties to Saudi Arabia if he had been the GOP nominee or the President-Elect.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If it was Marla Maples my understanding was it would not be a crime since her name was on the return as well.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

sancarlos wrote:
Then how did he know that's what the phone call was for?
Totally Kafkaesque
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Johnnie wrote:WaPo:

FBI backs CIA view that Russia helped Trump win election

Note: this article is not about snobby Daily Beast writers complaining about the way martinis are served.
getting worked up about making fun of trump grill is a weird hill to stand on
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Of all the things to discuss regarding Trump, a stupid restaurant isn't one of them. It pales in comparison to literally everything else.

Person A: Man, do you realize the moment Trump is sworn in he's in direct violation of the emoluments clause of the Constitution if he doesn't absolve himself from all of his business dealings? You see that he cancelled his own press conference as to how he'd do it based on being too busy, but he continues going around the country doing I Love Me Circle Jerk rallies? Ain't that some shit?

Person B: IKR!?!? And his restaurant serves martinis in wine glasses with ice too!

Like, really? It's gossipy bullshit. Unless it helps to remove this mother fucker from office, it's dumb.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Johnnie wrote:Of all the things to discuss regarding Trump, a stupid restaurant isn't one of them. It pales in comparison to literally everything else.

Person A: Man, do you realize the moment Trump is sworn in he's in direct violation of the emoluments clause of the Constitution if he doesn't absolve himself from all of his business dealings? You see that he cancelled his own press conference as to how he'd do it based on being too busy, but he continues going around the country doing I Love Me Circle Jerk rallies? Ain't that some shit?

Person B: IKR!?!? And his restaurant serves martinis in wine glasses with ice too!

Like, really? It's gossipy bullshit. Unless it helps to remove this mother fucker from office, it's dumb.
Do you like, really, not think 99% of people who find the Trump Grill story funny also believe that it pales in comparison to literally everything else?

It's funny because he's such a thin-skinned egomaniac who had to tweet about a review of his restaurant.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Like everything else ever these last 19 months. There's nothing new here.

Shit, the Mac Miller song Donald Trump came up in my Amazon music channel randomly. Curious, I YouTubed it. I had no idea that Donald Trump tried suing him. And Mac Miller went on the Larry Wilmore show in March and said some shit directly to him.

So color me not shocked he's maintained his bitch demeanor over a magazine article.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

If I still did the Facebook thing, I'd waste my time trolling using this pic:

EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Johnnie wrote:If I still did the Facebook thing, I'd waste my time trolling using this pic:

Stolen, used for my new cover photo.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I found this opinion article interesting:

New York should seize Trump Tower

There's gotta be irony in there somewhere.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Shirley wrote:
sancarlos wrote:
Voicemail?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote:
Shirley wrote:
sancarlos wrote:
Voicemail?
Agent or business manager said to expect a call from Team Trump? Better move would have been to take the gig, and not show up. Several booking agents have said Team Trump offered ambassadorships if they could get big name clients to perform.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

But...It couldn't happen here, right?

I mean, right?
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EnochRoot wrote:But...It couldn't happen here, right?

I mean, right?
Well that's disturbing. If Trump's private security force violently prevents people from speaking freely, is that a First Amendment violation, or is it a private citizen acting? If they are acting on Trump's orders, it would probably be considered a government action. Who is going to pay for the private security force? I vaguely recall hearing that Presidents aren't allowed to pay for anything, does Trump create a PAC or something similar to pay for things like this?
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

So long, Eric Fanning.

That's shitty. By all accounts Fanning is a great person.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Johnnie wrote:So long, Eric Fanning.

Alec Baldwin's podcast just did an interview with Fanning. Interesting conversation.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

At least they are being upfront about it now...
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If he means we don't want it run by imbeciles, then I have to agree.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Trump Knows What's Important

Less than 5 weeks until he's president and all the douchebag can do is rub salt in Clinton's wounds.

Every day, in every way, things are getting more fucked up.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Pruitt wrote:Less than 5 weeks until he's president and all the douchebag can do is rub salt in Clinton's wounds.
I think it's more ego-protection than anything malicious. The popular vote is the albatross he's going to have to live with. It will pop up again.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

wlu_lax6 wrote:
Johnnie wrote:So long, Eric Fanning.

Alec Baldwin's podcast just did an interview with Fanning. Interesting conversation.
Downloaded and I will listen to it today. Thanks.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Trump's Inaugural Ball Performers Announced

$350 and guaranteed there's a cash bar.

The Mixx – “the Mid-Atlantic’s hottest Party Band!”
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

[+] spoiler
The performers at the ‘All-American Bill’ have now been revealed by the organisers, with Nashville singer/songwriter Beau Davidson, ’80s cover band The Reagan Years (who only perform songs that were released when Ronald Reagan was President), and The Mixx – “the Mid-Atlantic’s hottest Party Band!”
Bands who know about Winning.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I made it as far as the shot of the twin towers.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I'm having the really vague memory of having seen the Reagan Years. If I'm right, it was years ago and I was down at the DE shore in the winter time. Weird...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

The Mormon Tabernacle Choir has agreed to perform at the inauguration. That should be rocking.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

P.D.X. wrote:The Mormon Tabernacle Choir has agreed to perform at the inauguration. That should be rocking.
You know what you get when you play MoTabCho albums backwards?
[+] spoiler
Jello salad recipes
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

You want to be completely depressed all the time during the administration? Reddit's Politics subreddit has all the headlines you need:

https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/

I mean, this thread captures a good amount. But that place is completely demoralized.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Trump's co-chair in NY, keeping it real for Christmas...

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

These nuke reactions from him. They fucking scare me.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote:These nuke reactions from him. They fucking scare me.
One of the security advisors prepping Trump shortly after he won the nomination quit, saying Trump kept asking why we can't use nukes since we have them, and showed little interest in listening to anything else.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I'll just leave half a thought here - it's a really bad thing to hope for something terrible to happen to a person...
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Here's a whole thought: I'd rather have to explain to my kids about a Presidential assassination than why America used a nuke.
Last edited by L-Jam3 on Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'd rather eat a cheeseburger than a piece of shit.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.