NFL Week 17

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

NFL Week 17

Post by Johnnie »

Ok, Swamp. These are the current standings in my pick em league. Straight up, no spreads. I'm 4th:

I shit the bed hard in week 14 with only 8 correct selections, but followed up in week 15 with 14 correct selections. (Last week I had 10.) The Ravens choking on that last drive against the Steelers has left me 2 points out of third instead of tied for it and gunning for 2nd. These are my pics. What do you guys think? All games are Sunday, so I have until 5 minutes before kickoff of the early game to change things up.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Ryan
The Dude

Re: NFL Week 17

Post by Ryan »

Is there anything at stake? Why not just pick all the dogs?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Money. 1st is $300, 2nd is $150, 3rd is $70. I was one of the top 2 at the midway point and won $30 and personalized beer mugs. Entry to the league was $40.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

There's not a reality in this multiverse where the NFL doesn't conspire to help the Packers into the playoffs. Bet accordingly.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

brian wrote:There's not a reality in this multiverse where the NFL doesn't conspire to help the Packers into the playoffs. Bet accordingly.
Since when does the NFL conspire for or against teams?
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

Well everyone does seem to love the Patriots again this year (yawn) and they have had only two vaguely sucky years since 1994...
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Tom 1860 wrote:Well everyone does seem to love the Patriots again this year (yawn) and they have had only two vaguely sucky years since 1994...
Maybe this is the cautiously optimistic part of my personality (and especially after 2007), but I see Dallas winning it this year against the Chiefs or Steelers. (I'm leaning towards the Steelers.) I like the New England defense, but not as much as I should. We'll see, but I doubt the Pats win the Super Bowl.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

In your position I'd probably pick Carolina and Jax, at minimum.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I also like Cincinnati given Baltimore may not be on their A game.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Fuck Marvin Lewis.

And fuck me stuck for 45 years rooting for this stupid fucking team and their stupid fucking way of doing things.

Fuck.

Fuck all of them.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Johnnie wrote:
Tom 1860 wrote:Well everyone does seem to love the Patriots again this year (yawn) and they have had only two vaguely sucky years since 1994...
Maybe this is the cautiously optimistic part of my personality (and especially after 2007), but I see Dallas winning it this year against the Chiefs or Steelers. (I'm leaning towards the Steelers.) I like the New England defense, but not as much as I should. We'll see, but I doubt the Pats win the Super Bowl.
I'm also somewhat skeptical of the Patriots' defense, since they've played a pretty soft schedule when it comes to opposing offenses. But with Derek Carr injured, the only team I think can beat them before the Superbowl is Pittsburgh. Kansas City has been playing well, but if Belichick/Patricia can come up with a scheme to limit big plays from Tyreek Hill, I just don't think Alex Smith is good enough to beat them. If you gave Alex Smith average-level teammates, I think the consensus would be that he's in the bottom-third of starting QBs in the NFL. His statistics this year are very underwhelming, but the Chiefs 11-4 record is greatly helping his reputation.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Pats are -160 to win the AFC. Likely would be closer to -500 if they wouldn't have to beat the refs and the league as well as the other five teams.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

tennbengal wrote:Fuck Marvin Lewis.

And fuck me stuck for 45 years rooting for this stupid fucking team and their stupid fucking way of doing things.

Fuck.

Fuck all of them.
Other than a couple of words, that was my diatribe last Sunday afternoon watching the Bills.

Fuck Patriots fans for whining about ANYTHING.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote:
EJ Manuel with the start.

If Tyrod Taylor gets hurt, the Bills are on the hook for $30 million. All over the Jets this weekend. Watch Fitzpatrick throw for 300 yards. Fuck the Bills.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

I don't know enough about the NFL CBA to know what the solution is, but the whole idea of teams benching would-be starters due to concerns about injury guarantees is pretty off-putting to me. Many believe that the 49ers only made the switch from Blaine Gabbert to Kaepernick because Kaepernick agreed to renegotiate his contract to eliminate a similar injury guarantee clause. As a "fan" of the team (I put "fan" in quotation marks because it's hard for me to root for any pro team run as poorly as they are), it's frustrating to see them play an inferior player for that reason. Even if Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers were playing QB, the 2016 49ers weren't going to sniff the playoffs, but I'd at least like to see them make their best effort to win games.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Joe K wrote:I don't know enough about the NFL CBA to know what the solution is, but the whole idea of teams benching would-be starters due to concerns about injury guarantees is pretty off-putting to me. Many believe that the 49ers only made the switch from Blaine Gabbert to Kaepernick because Kaepernick agreed to renegotiate his contract to eliminate a similar injury guarantee clause. As a "fan" of the team (I put "fan" in quotation marks because it's hard for me to root for any pro team run as poorly as they are), it's frustrating to see them play an inferior player for that reason. Even if Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers were playing QB, the 2016 49ers weren't going to sniff the playoffs, but I'd at least like to see them make their best effort to win games.
fwiw, the 49ers didn't even dress Gabbert last week. Christian Ponder was the backup.
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

Joe K wrote:I don't know enough about the NFL CBA to know what the solution is, but the whole idea of teams benching would-be starters due to concerns about injury guarantees is pretty off-putting to me. Many believe that the 49ers only made the switch from Blaine Gabbert to Kaepernick because Kaepernick agreed to renegotiate his contract to eliminate a similar injury guarantee clause. As a "fan" of the team (I put "fan" in quotation marks because it's hard for me to root for any pro team run as poorly as they are), it's frustrating to see them play an inferior player for that reason. Even if Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers were playing QB, the 2016 49ers weren't going to sniff the playoffs, but I'd at least like to see them make their best effort to win games.
NFL makes player safety a top priority when $30M of their money is on the line
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Joe K wrote:
Johnnie wrote:
I'm also somewhat skeptical of the Patriots' defense, since they've played a pretty soft schedule when it comes to opposing offenses. But with Derek Carr injured, the only team I think can beat them before the Superbowl is Pittsburgh. Kansas City has been playing well, but if Belichick/Patricia can come up with a scheme to limit big plays from Tyreek Hill, I just don't think Alex Smith is good enough to beat them. If you gave Alex Smith average-level teammates, I think the consensus would be that he's in the bottom-third of starting QBs in the NFL. His statistics this year are very underwhelming, but the Chiefs 11-4 record is greatly helping his reputation.
People were calling in to the postgame show after Sunday night's win over Denver saying Nick Foles should start, so
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Brontoburglar wrote:
Joe K wrote:
Johnnie wrote:
People were calling in to the postgame show after Sunday night's win over Denver saying Nick Foles should start, so
They weren't calling for Dontari Poe? Shame.

The one thing I know about Nick Foles is that Gronk made him look decent in college. Other than that, I'm not sure why he hasn't been released from the pros yet. Having him start over Smith is laughable.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

In not-surprising news, reports are filtering out that the 49ers plan to fire GM Trent Baalke and head coach Chip Kelly, immediately after Sunday's game.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

sancarlos wrote:In not-surprising news, reports are filtering out that the 49ers plan to fire GM Trent Baalke and head coach Chip Kelly, immediately after Sunday's game.
What a disaster that organization is. On the one hand, it seems crazy to have four different head coaches in four seasons, which is what they'll have from 2014-17. But at the same time, the decline in Chip Kelly's teams' performance after his first two years in Philly is pretty alarming. What they really should have done is fired Baalke after last season, so that they could've started fresh with a new GM who would then have input over the coaching search. The problem with bringing back Kelly for a second season (besides the fact that the team was horrible this year) is that a new GM hire would typically want to help pick a coach. Whoever comes in will certainly have a lot of work to do, as the talent level is really poor on both sides of the ball. This year's team is 29th in yards gained, 27th in points scored, 32nd in yards allowed, and 32nd in points allowed.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Michael Floyd fought off 5 Dolphins at the 1 to find the end zone.

From Super Extreme DUI to catching passes from Brady. That's nuts. I think Belichick paid for a draft pick with the residual benefit of a big body receiver in the meantime.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Gunpowder wrote:In your position I'd probably pick Carolina and Jax, at minimum.
Gunpowder wrote:I also like Cincinnati given Baltimore may not be on their A game.
I only flipped Carolina. And of course, Slolztradamus, is on the money so far. Now, everyone in my league chose Indy, so that's a wash either way, but if I was the only guy to pick them, that woulda been me playing chess. And the Cincy pick, I sided with Bengal.

I'm sitting in 3rd and clawing for 2nd, and there's enough variance in picks that I may have a shot at some things here. I'll let you know.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Steelers doing the anti-Coughlin?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

sancarlos wrote:In not-surprising news, reports are filtering out that the 49ers plan to fire GM Trent Baalke and head coach Chip Kelly, immediately after Sunday's game.
If he gets hired next year he'll be collecting checks from 3 teams. That's awesome.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Rex wrote:Steelers doing the anti-Coughlin?
The big three are out on the offensive side. I haven't been paying too close attention, but they should have pulled a couple of other guys by now. So yes. I'll take a meaningless loss to the Browns and a healthy 7, 26 and 84.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

And let's get Shazier out of there now...
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Was there an announcement prior to the game about the Steelers resting their guys? I didn't see any reports about it. Or is that just something obvious that I missed?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Johnnie wrote:Was there an announcement prior to the game about the Steelers resting their guys? I didn't see any reports about it. Or is that just something obvious that I missed?
Tomlin was pretty open about sitting the offensive stars, yeah.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

rass wrote:
Johnnie wrote:Was there an announcement prior to the game about the Steelers resting their guys? I didn't see any reports about it. Or is that just something obvious that I missed?
Tomlin was pretty open about sitting the offensive stars, yeah.
Gotcha. There was also a tweet about an hour prior to the game from the NFL on ESPN Twitter as well.

I only care because of my pick em league. Literally everyone chose Pittsburgh. I wish I had that Intel when I woke up this morning.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Michael Floyd just killed a guy while not driving drunk.

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Adios Landry.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

The Browns.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Rex wrote:The Browns.
-iest. Man.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Oh, hey, nice meaningless win to cost draft position - god do I hate Marvin Lewis.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'd think losing a game on purpose for any reason would be more of a reason to fire a coach.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote:
Rex wrote:The Browns.
-iest. Man.
And, I take that back.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

You realize that one of your players is going to get hurt in overtime because of these fucks.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Rex wrote:You realize that one of your players is going to get hurt in overtime because of these fucks.
I know. Jones should just (almost wrote "have" but they've gone backwards) just fumbled in the end zone when he had a chance.