Trump Administration Meltdown Thread...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Re: Trump Administration Meltdown Thread...

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Pruitt wrote:
brian wrote:
A_B wrote:
mister d wrote:Can a cover band play Springsteen's songs at an event like this without Springsteen's permission?
I would have thought so long as no admission is charged, sure. But I'm sure they're getting paid to be there. I dunno the legalities. Why are you asking me? Leave me alone. I have wontons to piss on.
Think they can even charge admission. Cover bands all over charge admission to events. I think there might be royalties involved however and while I assume most bands let those slide for say, some Metallica cover band in Fargo, I have a feeling that wouldn't be the case here.
I should know this stuff, but I don't... but isn;t there an issue of who owns the publishing rights? Springsteen is smart, so I imagine he does so.

But I don't know if they can stop a band from performing... as long as the venue or the promoter pays dues to the rights organization.
I think the issue is complicated by the fact that publishers of popular music license their copyrights to various clearinghouses and whatever. That is how royalties are collected. If Springsteen owned the copyright flat-out, then he would have a right to stop any public performance.

Like all good lawyers, I do my legal research through Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Performing_rights
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I'd say he owns most of the copyrights but not always sole distribution rights, surely. I don't know. Stop asking me. I already said his.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I read that the venue pays the fees. Allows the DJs and cover bands to play the music.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Rush2112 wrote:I read that the venue pays the fees. Allows the DJs and cover bands to play the music.

I googled a bit and this is what I came to as well.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

"I'll let you have unlimited plays of 'Wreck On The Highway' for free"
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Rush2112 wrote:I read that the venue pays the fees. Allows the DJs and cover bands to play the music.
That's my understanding as well. The venue obtains a license through ASCAP. ASCAP pays out to the original artists (Pretty sure the Original Artists were signed to K-Tel back in the day)...
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Spy Agencies Around The World Are Digging Into Trump’s Moscow Ties

Buzzfeed link. It looks like the rest of the world is trying to save us. I'm happy to see the Intel community isn't taking his shit.

Ex-MI6 spy was so troubled by Trump findings that he worked free

NY Daily News link.

From this link:
The Guardian has learned that the FBI applied for a warrant from the foreign intelligence surveillance (Fisa) court over the summer in order to monitor four members of the Trump team suspected of irregular contacts with Russian officials. The Fisa court turned down the application asking FBI counter-intelligence investigators to narrow its focus. According to one report, the FBI was finally granted a warrant in October, but that has not been confirmed, and it is not clear whether any warrant led to a full investigation.
The FISA court approves 98% of requests and hasn't turned them down for the last 2 years.

With this, plus all other pro Russia bullshit we know, I agree with John Lewis. This is a conspiracy.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

John Lewis is a national hero, who was arrested multiple times for crimes like using a "whites only" bathroom.

Donald Trump....not so much...
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I went off on several tirades in my early Swamp years about the FISA warrants. Bush made a huge deal about needing the PATRIOT Act to spy on potential terrorists. I should read the article, but to get a FISA warrant, you can search first, then get the warrant based on the evidence you found. If you find nothing? Keep on illegally searching until you find something to get the warrant, or never report the Unconstitutional search. Completely pointless.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Neat!

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Bruce cover band has pulled out. This is now a sub-wedding affair.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote:
mister d wrote:The Bruce cover band has pulled out. This is now a sub-wedding affair.
Things I just learned: they were never playing the main DC party, just a nonpartisan Jersey-centric party that they were booked for 4 years ago.
Well that is much less funny, but balances out with seeing their keyboard player looks like Kevin from The Office let himself go. Christie booked them 4 years ago, probably assuming it would be his inauguration event. They backed out of the gig to play the Wong-Goldfarb wedding, where they could be sure to receive payment for appearing.
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

And that might be a disqualifier!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Let's look in on how Betsy DeVos and her confirmation hearing is going:

Hmm....
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Might the Republican establishment get tired of Trump's antics and look for an opportunity to impeach him and make Pence the president? I know we've discussed this issue hereabouts in the past, but it surprised me to see it stated aloud by a somewhat prominent Republican.
Northwestern University Law Professor Steven Calabresi served in two Republican administrations, was an adviser to Attorney General Edwin Meese under Ronald Reagan and wrote speeches for Vice President Dan Quayle. He is co-founder and board chairman of the conservative Federalist Society.
So it raised a few eyebrows when Calabresi told a law school audience in San Francisco that when it comes to Donald Trump, “impeachment needs to be on the table.”
Even though both houses of Congress will be controlled by his fellow Republicans, Trump, a party outsider, will be “on a short leash. There could be a spectacular end,” Calabresi said in a recent panel at the annual meeting of the Association of American Law Schools...

Calabresi said Republican leaders, who have lamented their party’s alienation from racial minorities, have been been dismayed by some of Trump’s comments... If Trump continues such behavior after taking office, Calabresi said, Republican leaders should consider impeaching him and replacing him with Vice President Mike Pence, who is much closer to his party’s establishment.
“He’s not a creature of the Republican Party,” Calabresi said of Trump. “He’s a creature of the swamp.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote:Might the Republican establishment get tired of Trump's antics and look for an opportunity to impeach him and make Pence the president? I know we've discussed this issue hereabouts in the past, but it surprised me to see it stated aloud by a somewhat prominent Republican.
Northwestern University Law Professor Steven Calabresi served in two Republican administrations, was an adviser to Attorney General Edwin Meese under Ronald Reagan and wrote speeches for Vice President Dan Quayle. He is co-founder and board chairman of the conservative Federalist Society.
So it raised a few eyebrows when Calabresi told a law school audience in San Francisco that when it comes to Donald Trump, “impeachment needs to be on the table.”
Even though both houses of Congress will be controlled by his fellow Republicans, Trump, a party outsider, will be “on a short leash. There could be a spectacular end,” Calabresi said in a recent panel at the annual meeting of the Association of American Law Schools...

Calabresi said Republican leaders, who have lamented their party’s alienation from racial minorities, have been been dismayed by some of Trump’s comments... If Trump continues such behavior after taking office, Calabresi said, Republican leaders should consider impeaching him and replacing him with Vice President Mike Pence, who is much closer to his party’s establishment.
“He’s not a creature of the Republican Party,” Calabresi said of Trump. “He’s a creature of the swamp.”

I think they have to wait until Trump pisses off his voters to the point that they are calling for Congress to impeach. As we've seen this far, no amount of evidence of douchebaggery will sway Trump's faithful.
-Pruitt
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

DaveInSeattle wrote:Let's look in on how Betsy DeVos and her confirmation hearing is going:

Hmm....
I watched the entire hearing last night. While plenty of her answers were either dumb or dangerous or both, I actually think this one takes the cake in addition to it being the germination of a meme. You have a Senator from Connecticut, who represented Newtown's district in the House, who led a huge gun-control filibuster and wants to make home invasion a federal crime and THAT'S the answer you give? You're either willfully ignoring the issue you know the question is about, or you're so unprepared and uneducated that it's actually legitimate when you smile your way through a sideways answer about bears at recess. Fuck her bigly.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

More of this, less of everything else ...

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Elizabeth Warren is like public schools under the Trump administration...
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Filled with children???
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote:i...d with children...
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

rass wrote:...i...bet... i... like pub...ic schools under the Trump administration...
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Don't let the grizzly bear issue distract you from the fact that this lady wants to defund public education, deregulate all education, and thinks the goal of education reform is to "bring on God's Kingdom."

She's far more terrifying than any grizzly bear.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So you don't think education would run better as a whole if someone stood to profit?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

rass wrote:Elizabeth Warren like... s d...ump.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Get out your marching boots Johnnie!
“Being a great president has to do with a lot of things, but one of them is being a great cheerleader for the country,” Trump told the Washington Post in an interview published Wednesday morning. “And we’re going to show the people as we build up our military, we’re going to display our military."

"That military may come marching down Pennsylvania Avenue. That military may be flying over New York City and Washington, D.C., for parades. I mean, we’re going to be showing our military," he continued.
What could go wrong with that?

P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

He really does have a tiny penis.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Was going to post the exact same thing. Autopsy photos are gonna be something else.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

mister d wrote:So you don't think education would run better as a whole if someone stood to profit?
You mean besides children, parents, and society as a whole?
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Pretty sure that was sarcasm.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Turn back the clock day.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Jerloma wrote:Don't let the grizzly bear issue distract you from the fact that this lady wants to defund public education, deregulate all education, and thinks the goal of education reform is to "bring on God's Kingdom."

She's far more terrifying than any grizzly bear.
And oh yeah, LIED, in addition to all of her other horrible responses.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Oh man, if Trump sees that he's totally gonna force her to withdraw.