NBA 2016-17

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: NBA 2016-17

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:I won't pretend I know enough to NBA draft, but in a non-minor-league sport, you can't afford to draft four consecutive inside bigs. Seems like a preposterous level of autodraft BPA-ing.
I'm surprised they haven't moved Noel, but also not because he is a straight rim protector inside guy with 15 foot range at best. He needs to be a backup on a good team, play with the second unit and provide defense and rebounding until the starters come back.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So the Wiz are getting hot. Now they are clearly in the terrible middle level of NBA where you won't get a star in the draft and are not a legit shot to win a title, but at least fun to watch.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc- ... dac04518be
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

wlu_lax6 wrote:So the Wiz are getting hot. Now they are clearly in the terrible middle level of NBA where you won't get a star in the draft and are not a legit shot to win a title, but at least fun to watch.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc- ... dac04518be
I was in the building last night, my first time in the Verizon Center. Nice place to watch a game. Too bad for me Memphis slept through most of the first three periods.

Washington is fun to watch - move the ball well, takes shots without conscience, and Wall is a genuine star. A lot of good things happening there. Not that they had a crowd to notice. I know Memphis is a shit draw, and it was a weeknight, but arena maybe 50% full (I am being generous) and no real noise from the ones who were there. Not sure if there is a disconnect with city, but I would have expected a better NBA crowd than that in terms of energy etc for a team that went for and won its 13th straight home game...
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

A_B wrote:
mister d wrote:I won't pretend I know enough to NBA draft, but in a non-minor-league sport, you can't afford to draft four consecutive inside bigs. Seems like a preposterous level of autodraft BPA-ing.
I'm surprised they haven't moved Noel, but also not because he is a straight rim protector inside guy with 15 foot range at best. He needs to be a backup on a good team, play with the second unit and provide defense and rebounding until the starters come back.
I think Noel and Okafor could both be valuable second unit players on a good team, but I'm just not sure you could ever play those two together. As for the consecutive big men choices, BPA is probably almost always the right strategy for a rebuilding team. The NBA Draft, including the lottery, is way more of a crapshoot than people realize. Every year people drool over college players based on an extreme best case scenario of their NBA potential. But there's rarely more than 1 or 2 true sure things in the draft. I doubt anyone, including his parents, thought that Malcolm Brogdon would be the best player from the 2016 Draft during this season. But he clearly has been thus far, while guys like Ingram, Murray, Hield, etc. have struggled to get their footing.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I would like to see the Rockets make a run at Noel.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Joe K wrote:
A_B wrote:BPA is probably almost always the right strategy for a rebuilding team.
But you have to consider fit, both league-wide and current roster, right? Hinkie claimed he knew the NBA was turning into a running, outside game league but picked three consecutive players who probably can't play successfully in a pair, let alone all three, and two now look like "good role players"? And shouldn't the crapshoot part of the lottery make you lean more towards fit than BPA in this instance unless there's some undeniably clear gap (like Simmons over Dunn)?

Easier question: If they're picking 4th this season and Harry Giles is the *clear* 4th best, should they really take him?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

mister d wrote:
Joe K wrote:
A_B wrote:BPA is probably almost always the right strategy for a rebuilding team.
But you have to consider fit, both league-wide and current roster, right? Hinkie claimed he knew the NBA was turning into a running, outside game league but picked three consecutive players who probably can't play successfully in a pair, let alone all three, and two now look like "good role players"? And shouldn't the crapshoot part of the lottery make you lean more towards fit than BPA in this instance unless there's some undeniably clear gap (like Simmons over Dunn)?

Easier question: If they're picking 4th this season and Harry Giles is the *clear* 4th best, should they really take him?
I think you gotta pick whoever you think gives you the best chance of being a star -- or at least an above average starter, rather than focus on position. Looking back historically, had they passed on Embiid for Exum because they already had Noel and needed a PG, it would've been a huge mistake. And the clear choice over Okafor was another PF/C in Porzingis. It's not clear that any other lottery pick from that draft will ever be an above average NBA starter. The "fit" pick, Mudiay, better get a lot better at shooting to make the cut.

ETA: Booker is the next best 2015 lottery pick after Towns and Porzingis and probably a safe bet to be good, but he didn't get picked until #13. No team would've taken him at #3, where Philly picked.
Last edited by Joe K on Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Porzingis is a better shooter than any of the four they picked, right? I would consider him not as clash-y of a pick, atleast in hindsight given that I had no idea who he was at the draft.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

mister d wrote:Porzingis is a better shooter than any of the four they picked, right? I would consider him not as clash-y of a pick, atleast in hindsight given that I had no idea who he was at the draft.
Yes, he is. But there are reports that his agents tried to steer him away from Philly. I think he refused to work out for them.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So the choices were pick him anyway, reach for a 1/2/3, trade out or pick a square peg in Okafor?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Keep in mind that Okafor was probably the best offensive freshman post player in a generation. The only thing dumb about that pick was that Philly already had several young bigs. Okafar as BPA was a no-brainer.
Totally Kafkaesque
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Hot take: Westbrook not being named an All-Star starter isn't really a bad outcome since the two guys he finished behind are averaging 24 or more points per game while serving as the primary ballhandlers for the two most efficient offenses in the Western Conference. Harden and Curry are also both way ahead of Westbrook in true shooting %, which is the best measure of individual scoring efficiency.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Courtney Lee is somehow the worst defender on a team with Derrick Rose on it.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

It's probably better for the Knicks to be losing these games, but this is totally ridiculous. Last possession:

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Fuckin' A-Rod.

So, 9 games tonight. Any chance of a little protest action?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

They should refuse to dunk until there's a new president.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Sidney Lowe played better defense on Courtney Lee than Courtney Lee played on any Wizard.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

mister d wrote:They should refuse to dunk until there's a new president.
Activism.

he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Looks like that motivated him a little in the next quarter.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DC47
Walter Sobchak

The elderly Chamberlain

Post by DC47 »

1:30 brings out the former Globetrotter.

It's impossible to truly compare players from different eras. And several incredible players with no true peer in their eras. But I don't think I'll ever conclude that there's a better player than Wilt Chamberlain.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Re: The elderly Chamberlain

Post by Joe K »

DC47 wrote:But I don't think I'll ever conclude that there's a better player than Wilt Chamberlain.
That's how I feel about Jordan. But that may be because I grew up in the early 1990s as a diehard Knicks fan/Bulls hater, and it sure seemed like prime Jordan was infallible. At some point during the second three-peat, I gave up on actively rooting against the Bulls, since it just seemed so futile. No other team or athlete has ever demoralized me to that degree.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Steve Kerr is considered a great 3 point shooter. And he was, shooting over 45% for this career. He attempted 1.8 threes per game. Steph Curry shoots 7.4 per game on average.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

A_B wrote:Steve Kerr is considered a great 3 point shooter. And he was, shooting over 45% for this career. He attempted 1.8 threes per game. Steph Curry shoots 7.4 per game on average.
Point taken, but Kerr only started 30 games in his long NBA career.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

The result is bad and all, but look at that form! How did that happen? Did he have a stroke? That looks like the form of someone who's never played basketball before.
Totally Kafkaesque
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

That's been his form since forever.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I saw him at my gym a couple of times a few years back. I did offer to help, but he politely declined.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

howard wrote:I saw him at my gym a couple of times a few years back. I did offer to help, and I gave him some pointers and you saw the result last night.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

howard wrote:I saw him at my gym a couple of times a few years back. I did offer to help, but he politely declined.
Cool story, doc.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

For the love of Christ.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

For some reason I am having a tremendous brain fart and I cannot figure out how to find a link for a tweet from the NBA about Vince Carter, but you should look it up, then remember he just turned 40.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

NO joke where did you get the link...there used to be a little ellipsis there but I don't see that on any tweets anymore.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Little down arrow looking thing in upper right corner of Tweet, Copy Link to Tweet? That's on a desktop or the regular Twitter app.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Charles Oakley getting arrested for going after James Dolan makes both 12-year-old me and 32-year-old me very happy. I still don't think I've ever seen an NBA player tougher than Oak.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

"Wait, what did the press release mean "he was arrested"? I mean, he wasn't arrested. Oakley's only faking, right?"

"You want me to read this or not?"

"Who gets Dolan?"

"I don't understand"

"Who kills Dolan at the end? Somebody has to do it. Is it John McEnroe, who?"

"Nobody. Nobody kills him. He lives."

"You mean he wins? Jesus, Grandpa! What did you read me this thing for?"
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

^ha!

This was probably a no-win for the Knicks even if video comes out today of Oakley calling Dolan a warthog-faced buffoon before being dragged off, but this wasn't necessary:

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Rex wrote:"Wait, what did the press release mean "he was arrested"? I mean, he wasn't arrested. Oakley's only faking, right?"

"You want me to read this or not?"

"Who gets Dolan?"

"I don't understand"

"Who kills Dolan at the end? Somebody has to do it. Is it John McEnroe, who?"

"Nobody. Nobody kills him. He lives."

"You mean he wins? Jesus, Grandpa! What did you read me this thing for?"
Ooh, quality - you win the internet today. Well done.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

If the Knicks press charges on Oakley for that ... well, they suck even worse than I thought.
Totally Kafkaesque