Trump Administration Meltdown Thread...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Shirley
The Dude

Re: Trump Administration Meltdown Thread...

Post by Shirley »

LewP wrote:Image
Am I missing something in that picture? What are those people doing to destroy America? Protesting? Being black?
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Lew, you're fucking wrong in all matters of your bullshit on this topic. Completely, utterly, and pathetically wrong. And posting out of context memes without the slightest hint of critical thinking in a serious way is fucking stupid.

Absolutely laughable that you allege that people from your side of the fence simply accepted that Obama as their president without issue and truly believing it is exactly why an orange "billionaire" reality douche from Queens, New York was able to ascend and be your leader.

Just stop it.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

degenerasian wrote:I don't understand the protests message today. Signs like hear our voices and ignorance is not a vision. Are people being oppressed?
Well, the newly inaugurated President openly bragged about sexually assaulting women, has pledged to appoint an anti-choice Supreme Court justice, and picked a VP who's as bad on women's rights issues as it gets. Plus the leaders of Congress have already taken steps to defund Planned Parenthood. So I'd say it's pretty easy to see why women would organize in mass for political protests.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Shirley wrote:
LewP wrote:Image
Am I missing something in that picture? What are those people doing to destroy America? Protesting? Being black?
A big part of Trump's messaging has been to assume that every place in America where large numbers of black people live is a post-apocalyptic hellhole. For instance, he claimed that John Lewis's district is in "horrible shape and falling apart," even though Lewis represents some of the nicer parts of Atlanta. So it's easy to see how we get memes where you can show pictures of apparently unarmed black people, who appear to be peacefully protesting, and say that they are "destroying America."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

One of them does have a hat on backward, friggin' hoodlums.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
LewP
Jackie Treehorn

Post by LewP »

Johnnie wrote:Lew, you're fucking wrong in all matters of your bullshit on this topic. Completely, utterly, and pathetically wrong. And posting out of context memes without the slightest hint of critical thinking in a serious way is fucking stupid.

Absolutely laughable that you allege that people from your side of the fence simply accepted that Obama as their president without issue and truly believing it is exactly why an orange "billionaire" reality douche from Queens, New York was able to ascend and be your leader.

Just stop it.
Johnnie, if you are such an expert, why don't you become the President??? Oh that's right, you already work for the government.
"Never pay for the same real estate twice." General George S. Patton
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Guys, please settle down. There is no reason for anyone to make personal attacks on another Swamper. It's fine to disagree but keep it civil.

</removes moderator hat>
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
LewP
Jackie Treehorn

Post by LewP »

Sabo wrote:Guys, please settle down. There is no reason for anyone to make personal attacks on another Swamper. It's fine to disagree but keep it civil.

</removes moderator hat>
Thank you Sabo.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

LewP wrote:Actually, this chart wasn't needed back then. Everyone accepted the fact.

Jesus. Trump led the charge to claim Obama shouldn't even be president because he is Kenyan. You are full of shit.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
LewP
Jackie Treehorn

Post by LewP »

Jesus. Trump led the charge to claim Obama shouldn't even be president because he is Kenyan. You are full of shit.
Screw you....

You don't even understand my point dumbass... I never claimed Trump was ok with Obama....I said everone else..i.e. the rest of the freaking nation, accepted it...as in we didn't raise hell and riot dipshit...
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Sabo wrote:Guys, please settle down. There is no reason for anyone to make personal attacks on another Swamper. It's fine to disagree but keep it civil.

</removes moderator hat>
Agreed. Racist posts are not OK either. Lew, your picture was pretty damn close. I'm still waiting for an explanation for why a picture of four black protesters (apparently from 2015) who don't appear to be doing anything worse than holding signs indicates someone "actually destroy(ing) America".
Totally Kafkaesque
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

LewP wrote:
Screw you....

You don't even understand my point dumbass... I never claimed Trump was ok with Obama....I said everone else..i.e. the rest of the freaking nation, accepted it...as in we didn't raise hell and riot dipshit...
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

LewP wrote:
Screw you....

Yeah, you're so scary smart, I'm just trying to keep up. You do understand that Trump was voicing what millions of Americans had been braying about for months prior to his election, right? Maybe put down the bourbon.

And if you don't understand why women, minorities, immigrants and others who've been attacked by Trump and his surrogates are lashing out, you have very little empathy and understanding of people that don't look and think like you. And I'm not condoning violence, I really don't like it in the form of protest.

But I'd point you to MILLIONS marching today with no reports of any significant violence.

Also, your post above is pretty damn close to being racist. So that's cute.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Gregg Popovich is awesome. Here are his pre-game remarks before the Spurs' game in Cleveland tonight:
“The march today was great. The message is important. It could have been a whole lot of groups marching. Somebody said on TV, ‘What’s the message?’ The message is obvious. Our president comes in with the lowest rating of anybody whoever came into the office. There’s a majority of people out there, since Hillary won the popular vote, that don’t buy his act.

“I just wish he was more … had the ability to be mature enough to do something that really is inclusive, rather than just talking and saying, ‘I’m going to include everyone.’ He could talk to the groups that he disrespected and maligned during the primary and really make somebody believe it. But so far, you’ve gotten to the point where you really can’t believe anything that comes out of his mouth. You really can’t. All those thousands that were on the rooftops after 9/11? There were two. ‘We went to Hawaii and checked his birth certificate and my investigators couldn’t BELIEVE what they found.’ There wasn’t anything there. It’s over and over again.

“The CIA today, instead of honoring the 117 people behind him where he was speaking, he talked about the size of the crowd. That’s worrisome. That’s worrisome. I’d just feel better if someone was in that position that showed the maturity and psychological and emotional level of someone that was his age. It’s dangerous and it doesn’t do us any good.

“I hope he does a great job. But there’s a difference between respecting the office of the president and the person who occupies it. That respect has to be earned. It’s hard to be respectful of someone when we all have kids, and we’re watching him be misogynistic and xenophobic and racist and make fun of handicapped people.

“And what really bothers me are the people around him, the Sean Spicers, the Kellyanne Conways the Reince Preibuses, who know who he is and actually have the cynical approach and disingenuous attitude to really defend him and make him look like he didn’t say what he said. When he’s mad at the media for them reporting what he said, it just boggles my mind. When Kellyanne Conway said the other day he wasn’t really making fun of the handicapped person. It’s incredible. It really makes you wonder how far would someone go to actually cover for somebody that much. I think the comment was,’ You have to look in his heart. You don’t know what’s in his heart. He wouldn’t do that.’ But he did it.

“And all the things he said during that time, if our children would have said it, we would have grounded them for six months. Without a doubt. But we ignore all that, because … because why? That says something about all of us. And that’s what’s dangerous. That’s what scares the hell out of me to this day and makes me uneasy.

“But I felt great today watching the march, in protest to how he has conducted himself, because it tells me I really do live in a country where a lot of people care. We have to be vigilant, to be sure. Although we all hope he does good things for our country, that we don’t get embarrassed by him and roll back liberties that have been worked for for so long in so many different areas.”
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

</removes moderator hat>
In all seriousness , fuck that noise. I am out. I'm not hanging out here if we have to be polite to racists. Fuck off on that.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I thought I fixed this.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

LewP wrote:Johnnie, if you are such an expert, why don't you become the President??? Oh that's right, you already work for the government.
I'd have more qualifications since the bar has been lowered to "breathing, bloviated jackass with the finger on the pulse of the woefully and willfully uneducated."

But two reasons, one, I'm not 35. Two, I can't concurrently be in the military and hold a political position.

But really, since the Constitution is effectively historical toilet paper and conflicts of interest don't matter, my 2020 campaign will launch summer of 2019.

</removes moderator hat>
While I agree with your sentiment, tolerating people so divorced from reality and not calling them on it is the reason America is where it's at.

I wish I could be more vocal in real life, but the most I can do is tell liberals semi-anonymously on the internet to quickly fall in love with the 2nd Amendment.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Look, all I'm asking if for everyone to be civil. Don't resort to name calling. Period. I look at it this way ... if you can't argue against your opponent without resorting to personal slander, then you don't have much of an argument. Argue the facts or presentation, but don't shoot the messenger.
Johnnie wrote:I wish I could be more vocal in real life, but the most I can do is tell liberals semi-anonymously on the internet to quickly fall in love with the 2nd Amendment.
A good friend of mine from college, who is one of the most liberal people I've ever met, told me last weekend he was considering learning how to shoot a pistol and eventually get a concealed-carry permit. I was floored ... and then I gave him advice on which caliber to carry.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

LewP wrote:
Screw you....

In August of 2016, 41% of Republicans disagreed with the statement "Barack Obama was born in the United States."
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

This LewP-esque whitewashing of history is hilarious. I'd suggest waiting maybe a month or so longer and maybe more people will forget the histrionics and impeachments talks of the past 8 years. At least maybe a week or two?

Just go become President, Johnnie!

I hope someone shouts "YOU LIE!" at Trump during a state of the union or whatever it was. I just want to see how bad the amnesia can get.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

If all the Republicans accepted that Barack Obama was the legitimately elected President, why isn't Merrick Garland on the Supreme Court?

Anyone march today? It was amazing up in Park City. And the photos of hundreds of thousands all over the country give me a sliver of hope.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Gunpowder wrote:This LewP-esque whitewashing of history is hilarious. I'd suggest waiting maybe a month or so longer and maybe more people will forget the histrionics and impeachments talks of the past 8 years. At least maybe a week or two?

Just go become President, Johnnie!

I hope someone shouts "YOU LIE!" at Trump during a state of the union or whatever it was. I just want to see how bad the amnesia can get.
I forgot about that moment - probably the moment when all respect for the office of Presidency was thrown away.

My mother was big on the whole "two wrongs don't make a right thing," and disrespecting Trump and (as Popovich so brilliantly indicated) the spineless amoral weasels who piggy-back on his fame for their own gain will improve nothing in the country.

but bowing down to him will not do so either. So why bother pretending that this is anything other than a sham President who has a crawlspace full of skeletons?

Better to see people in the streets than snarking it up on twitter.

And I'll tell you something, if my mother was alive, she would have been marching in Washington along with my sister and nieces today. LGBT rights and environmental issues have already been ERASED from the white house website. Are people who care about these things supposed to throw their hands in the air and say, "yeah, okay, the other side won. We'll sit here like good boys and girls while things that we hokd dear are taken away from us?"

Sorry Lew, that should not happen in a democracy. It's the USA, not Zimbabwe.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Steve of phpBB wrote:If all the Republicans accepted that Barack Obama was the legitimately elected President, why isn't Merrick Garland on the Supreme Court?

Anyone march today? It was amazing up in Park City. And the photos of hundreds of thousands all over the country give me a sliver of hope.
I didn't, but only because I'm out of town for work. Mrs. Sabo did. If I were home, I would've joined her.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Steve of phpBB wrote:Anyone march today? It was amazing up in Park City. And the photos of hundreds of thousands all over the country give me a sliver of hope.
I didn't, but my office is right near where the St. Louis protest was and there was a large, very boisterous crowd there. I thought it was especially cool that there were a lot of kids there -- it's a good sign to get the next generation politically engaged. Here's a photo from the local newspaper of some St. Louis thugs rioting, raising hell, and destroying America:

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Joe K wrote:Gregg Popovich is awesome. Here are his pre-game remarks before the Spurs' game in Cleveland tonight:
“The march today was great. The message is important. It could have been a whole lot of groups marching. Somebody said on TV, ‘What’s the message?’ The message is obvious. Our president comes in with the lowest rating of anybody whoever came into the office. There’s a majority of people out there, since Hillary won the popular vote, that don’t buy his act.

“I just wish he was more … had the ability to be mature enough to do something that really is inclusive, rather than just talking and saying, ‘I’m going to include everyone.’ He could talk to the groups that he disrespected and maligned during the primary and really make somebody believe it. But so far, you’ve gotten to the point where you really can’t believe anything that comes out of his mouth. You really can’t. All those thousands that were on the rooftops after 9/11? There were two. ‘We went to Hawaii and checked his birth certificate and my investigators couldn’t BELIEVE what they found.’ There wasn’t anything there. It’s over and over again.

“The CIA today, instead of honoring the 117 people behind him where he was speaking, he talked about the size of the crowd. That’s worrisome. That’s worrisome. I’d just feel better if someone was in that position that showed the maturity and psychological and emotional level of someone that was his age. It’s dangerous and it doesn’t do us any good.

“I hope he does a great job. But there’s a difference between respecting the office of the president and the person who occupies it. That respect has to be earned. It’s hard to be respectful of someone when we all have kids, and we’re watching him be misogynistic and xenophobic and racist and make fun of handicapped people.

“And what really bothers me are the people around him, the Sean Spicers, the Kellyanne Conways the Reince Preibuses, who know who he is and actually have the cynical approach and disingenuous attitude to really defend him and make him look like he didn’t say what he said. When he’s mad at the media for them reporting what he said, it just boggles my mind. When Kellyanne Conway said the other day he wasn’t really making fun of the handicapped person. It’s incredible. It really makes you wonder how far would someone go to actually cover for somebody that much. I think the comment was,’ You have to look in his heart. You don’t know what’s in his heart. He wouldn’t do that.’ But he did it.

“And all the things he said during that time, if our children would have said it, we would have grounded them for six months. Without a doubt. But we ignore all that, because … because why? That says something about all of us. And that’s what’s dangerous. That’s what scares the hell out of me to this day and makes me uneasy.

“But I felt great today watching the march, in protest to how he has conducted himself, because it tells me I really do live in a country where a lot of people care. We have to be vigilant, to be sure. Although we all hope he does good things for our country, that we don’t get embarrassed by him and roll back liberties that have been worked for for so long in so many different areas.”
Fucking cathartic. I read that to my wife.

"He's saying what a lot of people are feeling. Who does he write for?"

Me: "The Sanantonio Spurs..."
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Popovich should run in 2020. I'm fucking serious. Now that we've lowered the bar so far, a person without government experience but who is highly accomplished in his field and is intelligent and self-aware is absolutely a viable candidate.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

At some point you have to just stop putting these people on TV. It's one thing when you are covering a political campaign. But now you are broadcasting state propaganda. Why is it so hard to show something else?
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I'm also a bit leery of people saying that the crowd size didn't matter. I mean obviously it doesn't matter more than earthquakes and famines, there's no need to say something like that. The crowd size was important substantively. It showed that the propaganda hasn't worked. At least not yet.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Johnny Carwash wrote:Popovich should run in 2020. I'm fucking serious. Now that we've lowered the bar so far, a person without government experience but who is highly accomplished in his field and is intelligent and self-aware is absolutely a viable candidate.
Popovich doesn't have government experience, but he is an Air Force Academy grad with experience working in military intelligence. But I think he'll stick to coaching the U.S. Olympic Team in 2020.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Rex wrote:At some point you have to just stop putting these people on TV. It's one thing when you are covering a political campaign. But now you are broadcasting state propaganda. Why is it so hard to show something else?
$$$$$

Fuck Jeff Zucker. He got his way throughout all of this from the primaries through the general and now gets to play victim because the monster he created is going after his precious media company.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Johnnie wrote:
Rex wrote:At some point you have to just stop putting these people on TV. It's one thing when you are covering a political campaign. But now you are broadcasting state propaganda. Why is it so hard to show something else?
$$$$$

Fuck Jeff Zucker. He got his way throughout all of this from the primaries through the general and now gets to play victim because the monster he created is going after his precious media company.
You can't say that when his network's decision was to not broadcast Spicer's comments live and instead show march coverage
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Steve of phpBB wrote:If all the Republicans accepted that Barack Obama was the legitimately elected President, why isn't Merrick Garland on the Supreme Court?

I took my 16 year old daughter and a friend down to the mall. It was fucking epic. There is hope out there, folks. Marching down Constitution past the Trump hotel... you want cathartic, let me tell you, people were losing their shit.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

CNN has now calculated that enough people want someone to speak truth to power that it is a ratings bonanza to play that card. After I got home from marching I turned it on to see what they were saying and it was pretty much non-stop "we're going to call him out when he is lying." Which was great to hear, but obviously, we'd have loved fo them to do that starting 18 months ago.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Rex wrote:I'm also a bit leery of people saying that the crowd size didn't matter. I mean obviously it doesn't matter more than earthquakes and famines, there's no need to say something like that. The crowd size was important substantively. It showed that the propaganda hasn't worked. At least not yet.

It certainly matters when it's blatantly lied about by the fuckin' WH Press Secretary.

Electing Trump threw away all the previous rules of the Presidency, like releasing tax returns and all that. Can't wait to see who runs in the future!
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Brontoburglar wrote:
Johnnie wrote:
$$$$$

You can't say that when his network's decision was to not broadcast Spicer's comments live and instead show march coverage
You can't say that when my point is he should have not broadcasted everything Trump did from June 2015 onward and said that doing so was good for his ratings and then decides to play victim.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

LewP wrote:
Screw you....

Bullshit. Trump just jumped in front of the "Kenyan Muslim" parade.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Gunpowder wrote:This LewP-esque whitewashing of history is hilarious. I'd suggest waiting maybe a month or so longer and maybe more people will forget the histrionics and impeachments talks of the past 8 years. At least maybe a week or two?
He's working the Kellyanne "Alternate Facts" method!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Anyone march today? It was amazing up in Park City. And the photos of hundreds of thousands all over the country give me a sliver of hope.
Fuck yeah I marched yesterday. With my youngest daughter (my older one has finals starting on Monday, so she stayed home and studied), my GF, and her daughter Kelsey (who has autism, and was super excited about being out with that many people).

They were expecting 50K, and estimated that 130K showed up. It was awesome, and full of positive energy, and some great clever signs. My fave: "I'm not a sign guy, but GEEZ". And the older women with signs saying "I can't believe I still have to protest this shit".

And lots and lots and lots of kids. Which was great to see.