Notable Alumni From Your High School

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Notable Alumni From Your High School

Post by The Sybian »

Gunpowder wrote:Just read about Johnathan Daniels. Jeez, that happened less than 50 years ago? Crazy.
It's impossible to comprehend that shit like this happened in our parents, and Howard's, lifetime. I just hope I never have a Wiki page saying I am "known for being killed..."
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

so i pulled the wiki on my HS...

wow...i know i left the area in 98, and even though i return several times a year to visit family and friends, i hadn't realized how much it had changed.. or maybe it was always like this and i have different memories.
according to the wiki...
Of Kennedy's student body, 36% is African American, 10% is Asian American, 48% is Hispanic, 5% is white, 0.3% is Native American, and 2% is of two or more race
i'm fairly certain my class (about 450 students) as well over 50% white.. not that there's anything wrong with that.

now as far as 'notable alumni'
Allison Krause, (Class of 1969) one of the students who died protesting at the Kent State massacre.
David Silverman (Class of 1975), animator of the show The Simpsons. Supervising director of The Simpsons Movie.
Mark Robinson (Class of 1980) He played seven seasons from 1984 to 1990 for the Kansas City Chiefs and Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
Vencie Glenn (Class of 1982), He played ten seasons from 1986 to 1995 for the Patriots, Chargers, Saints, Vikings and Giants.
Erik McMillan (Class of 1983), He played six seasons from 1988 to 1993, playing for the Jets for five of those seasons, and the Eagles, Browns & Chiefs
William Joppy, He attended 9th & 10th grade at Kennedy from 1984 to 1986. He has held the WBA middleweight title on two occasions.
Curtis Pride (Class of 1986), First team Parade Magazine All-American soccer player. Fifth deaf player in Major League Baseball history, i knew him, or at least knew who he was.. i played jv soccer his sr year.
Derrick Gray, (Class of 2004), CFL player for the Calgary Stampeders.
Lori Stokes, (Class of 1980), Television Journalist... Presently news anchor at WABC-TV in New York.
wiki fails to mention Lakshmi Singh, class of 1990 (after me), who is a newscaster over at NPR.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

elflaco wrote:so i pulled the wiki on my HS...

wow...i know i left the area in 98, and even though i return several times a year to visit family and friends, i hadn't realized how much it had changed.. or maybe it was always like this and i have different memories.
according to the wiki...
Of Kennedy's student body, 36% is African American, 10% is Asian American, 48% is Hispanic, 5% is white, 0.3% is Native American, and 2% is of two or more race
i'm fairly certain my class (about 450 students) as well over 50% white.. not that there's anything wrong with that.

now as far as 'notable alumni'
Allison Krause, (Class of 1969) one of the students who died protesting at the Kent State massacre.
David Silverman (Class of 1975), animator of the show The Simpsons. Supervising director of The Simpsons Movie.
Mark Robinson (Class of 1980) He played seven seasons from 1984 to 1990 for the Kansas City Chiefs and Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
Vencie Glenn (Class of 1982), He played ten seasons from 1986 to 1995 for the Patriots, Chargers, Saints, Vikings and Giants.
Erik McMillan (Class of 1983), He played six seasons from 1988 to 1993, playing for the Jets for five of those seasons, and the Eagles, Browns & Chiefs
William Joppy, He attended 9th & 10th grade at Kennedy from 1984 to 1986. He has held the WBA middleweight title on two occasions.
Curtis Pride (Class of 1986), First team Parade Magazine All-American soccer player. Fifth deaf player in Major League Baseball history, i knew him, or at least knew who he was.. i played jv soccer his sr year.
Derrick Gray, (Class of 2004), CFL player for the Calgary Stampeders.
Lori Stokes, (Class of 1980), Television Journalist... Presently news anchor at WABC-TV in New York.
wiki fails to mention Lakshmi Singh, class of 1990 (after me), who is a newscaster over at NPR.

I played soccer and baseball against Curtis Pride. I was a sophomore playing CF his senior year and he hit one so far over my head I didn't even turn around. And I wasn't showing up my pitcher, it was just hit that far. That field at Kennedy didn't even have a fence, but the second he hit it, I knew there was no way I'd be able to track it down and throw it back in before he was taking off his helmet and batting glove.

He was a very good soccer player, who relied on amazing speed and power at the HS level. If someone had grabbed him early, he probably could've been national team player pool caliber, but by that point it was a stretch from him to play beyond college. (This was pre-MLS days.) I think he wound up playing basketball... William & Mary??
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

sounds about right.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Ryan wrote:John Bosa, AKA The Poor Man's Mike Mamula, Dolphins first-round pick in 1987 out of BC. Most famous for being the centerpiece of our local Applebees wall and the inspiration behind the extremely (read: 10-15 people) colloquial expression "Fuckin' A John Bosa!" which translates to "You're right!" or "I'm excited about that thing you just said, my Keene friend!"
Now famous for his son
Ryan wrote:I've never heard of Heather Wilson but she has tons of Swamp ties, so let's meet her too.
  • Graduated from KHS
    First female Air Force basic training commander
    First female Vice Wing commander
    First veteran congresswoman, representing New Mexico
    Current president of THE South Dakota School of Mines and Technology
Now the next Secretary of the Air Force
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The