Jeeves runs a small business but needs new computers.

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

BSF21
The Dude

Jeeves runs a small business but needs new computers.

Post by BSF21 »

So this might should go in the Tech Support thread but dammit I'm important and need answers.

Looking to upgrade our 2 current work laptops. Both are 3-4 years old and have officially outlived their usefulness. Partner's won't hardly run if it's off the A/C charger. Mine only starts up about half the time.

I'm willing to pay good money for a machine that is free of bloatware and has some very basic functions. Adequate USB (at least 3), the ability to hook up to a monitor for desk use, Bluetooth connectivity in order to use that monitor while at home in the office with a separate keyboard, and reasonable speed. It's not like I'm doing a whole lot here. Running Spotify, Chrome, MSWord and MS Excel covers about 95% of it. (though I have a soft spot for my Diablo II and Heroes of Might and Magic 3 which I got from gog.com)

Any place to start outside of building it myself? I don't know enough about it to do so. I just don't want to spend a bunch of money on a machine that has 24 programs already fucking it up. Is Apple my only viable option for that?

Any and all advice appreciated. Including on the monitors.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Gunpowder
The Dude

Re: Jeeves runs a small business but needs new computers.

Post by Gunpowder »

Man these days it's hard to go wrong. Most laptops are cheapish and work great.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Though if you're gonna be gaming you may want to check the requirements of those games.

Are there laptops with bluetooth connectivity to monitors built-in? I didn't know that.

But regardless I think you can spend less than $750 each and be more than good.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Gunpowder wrote:Though if you're gonna be gaming you may want to check the requirements of those games.

Are there laptops with bluetooth connectivity to monitors built-in? I didn't know that.

But regardless I think you can spend less than $750 each and be more than good.
Where from though? The last time we did this we went direct through Dell. My computer came with Trend Microsecruity, Norton/Mcaffee, and a host of Dell services that I don't want or need and are unable to be removed as far as I can tell.

Is there a manufacturer that specializes in not selling this stuff out and just selling you a damn PC with Windows and Office or is Windows the problem or what? I get turned around easy trying to navigate this stuff.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Does anyone ever get a Mac then go back to a Dell or some other Windows machine? The difference in lifespan (and super coolness) is night and day.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

mister d wrote:Does anyone ever get a Mac then go back to a Dell or some other Windows machine? The difference in lifespan (and super coolness) is night and day.
I used to have a mac and loved it but went back to a PC in a compatibility effort since my partner was already on PC and we didn't want the headaches. Has this mostly been alleviated? For example, I've got a Brother all-in-one scanner/printer that is my life during business hours. Do most of those components cross the PC/Mac bridge? I think if I could assure him that shit would work with less headaches on a day-to-day basis, we could make the total switch to mac, but again I worry about versatility and paying a whole lot more for peripherals as we go.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Should be able to use any kind of printer or similar device on a Mac. Printer drivers are pre-loaded in the OS, but in worst case scenarios the printer makers have them available on their websites for download. Though I imagine the older the device in question, the more of a pain in the ass it is to get it to work (though that's probably true of a PC as well.).

Big question is how you're accessing the scanner/printer. If it's through some kind of a direct connection like USB, I'd just suggest you sink $200 in a new scanner/printer. I have a two-year old Kodak all-in-one and I can do everything wirelessly -- it's awesome. Think I only paid like $150 for it and I probably save $40-$50 a year in ink compared to my old Brother.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

BSF21 wrote:
mister d wrote:Does anyone ever get a Mac then go back to a Dell or some other Windows machine? The difference in lifespan (and super coolness) is night and day.
I used to have a mac and loved it but went back to a PC in a compatibility effort since my partner was already on PC and we didn't want the headaches. Has this mostly been alleviated? For example, I've got a Brother all-in-one scanner/printer that is my life during business hours. Do most of those components cross the PC/Mac bridge? I think if I could assure him that shit would work with less headaches on a day-to-day basis, we could make the total switch to mac, but again I worry about versatility and paying a whole lot more for peripherals as we go.
Almost all peripherals will work on both Mac and PC. But like Brian wrote, the older the device, the more likely it won't work. If you tell me the model number for your Brother device, I can see if there's a Yosemite driver for it.

Although, just be warned if you decide to go to a Mac you'll probably want to get a USB hub since Mac laptops have two USB ports at the most.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sabo wrote:
BSF21 wrote:
Almost all peripherals will work on both Mac and PC. But like Brian wrote, the older the device, the more likely it won't work. If you tell me the model number for your Brother device, I can see if there's a Yosemite driver for it.

Although, just be warned if you decide to go to a Mac you'll probably want to get a USB hub since Mac laptops have two USB ports at the most.
FWIW, my MacBookPro has three USB ports. But the USB hub is still a good idea and only costs like $20 at most.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Sabo wrote:
BSF21 wrote:

I've got an MFC7360N that I use with a USB. I'm not getting rid of it. It's less than 2 years old.

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

My older macbook pro had 3 USBs but the one i have now is just two. One on each side, with a hub.

I love the macs. Would be hard for me to go back.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

You can use PC Decrapifier to clean all of that crap off of a new computer.

http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Totally Kafkaesque
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

BSF21 wrote:
Sabo wrote:
BSF21 wrote:

I've got an MFC7360N that I use with a USB. I'm not getting rid of it. It's less than 2 years old.
There are Yosemite drivers for this device.

http://support.brother.com/g/b/download ... c7360n_all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And all of the new MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs only come with two USB ports.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah, two, three or whatever doesn't really matter. I don't know how people live without a USB hub. I have a six port hub with six ports in use all of the time (Fitbit tracker, USB mouse, keyboard, iPhone charger, Kindle charger/synch and an external HD).
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

I got a dell laptop in the mail yesterday or day before. Have had dell computers for so long that it is a default for me. Theyve been good. Generally ive gotten the latidude models but when the screen hinge broke on the one I am using now I bought one just in case the thing turned off entirely. Decided to go el cheapo since I figured the low price ($350 or so) would allow me to replace as they broke. It kinda sucks though. I never need the computing power as I dont play games or anything, just MS Office and Adobe, but the thing feels cheap and the keyboard isnt so great. Turns out I just really need a durable, well engineered machine with barely decent inside parts but Dell seems to give me the opposite. Overbuilt specs in a cheap box. Will be sending mine back, assuming I can.

Id be interested in knowing if any heavy typers have gone to the tablet type laptops. Seems like thats the future but I sit in front of this thing 30-40 hrs a week so it needs to type well. Also, how do you type and see the screen on your lap?

Totally agree with your reliance on the brother. I am a high print user because of lengthy docs and my reliance on hard copies. That thing is a tank. Had the first one (8860DN) for 5-6 years and 3 moves before the fuser finally went. Got another and it pretty much runs the whole office from a countertop. That thing probably printed 200,000 pages easy. Costco makes refurbished/refilled original toner cartridges that pretty much knocks 60% off toner costs, which are pretty high ($80-125 per). The drum is a cost killer too, maybe $150-175 but only went through 3 of those.

Also, if you reinstall the operating system, the machine comes back pretty clean of BS. Office 365 didnt work with the XP machines I had so I made a Windows 7 copy from my laptop and installed on the desktop machines. For better or worse, it was pretty clean. Had to start from scratch but that seems like what you want.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

You should take another trip to the Twin Cites and visit MicroCentre.. Best prices around and have both PCs and Macs.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Before this drops off the front page, I think you should have used "and" instead of "but".
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

rass wrote:Before this drops off the front page, I think you should have used "and" instead of "but".
You're not wrong.

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Rather than starting my own thread -- I am going to upgrade my work desktop by the end of the year. It's a 27" iMac (about six years old). I figure that I simply go with a Mac Mini and use my monitor as a display, right?

The $700 Mac Mini is tempting, especially if I can get it for less than that on sale somewhere.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Or sell the monitor, add that to the $700 and get a MacBook?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote:Or sell the monitor, add that to the $700 and get a MacBook?
I'd sell it for, what, $300 tops?

The 27" starts at $1800. What'd be worth the added expense?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I meant just get a normal sized laptop.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote:I meant just get a normal sized laptop.
Ah, misread. I don't need a MacBook.... knock on wood. I have one that I've taken good care of and just got the video card replaced and the hard drive cleaned in January. So I'm hopefully set there for a bit.

I prefer working on my desktop because it's in my office and I'm not hunched over at a laptop all day.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Just got the new MacBook for work. Touch bar is pretty cool — love how it reconfigures per whatever app you're using. (Although I mostly use external keyboard/mouse, so won't really find it handy until I'm hipstering-out at a coffee shop.) The big thing I'm noticing though is the sound card. Streaming Spotify with a decent pair of cans and the sound is amazing. Really great dynamics. (The important things obvi)