Jeeves knows you guys travel...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Jeeves knows you guys travel...

Post by A_B »

Sabo wrote:
mister d wrote:Is there a better way to book flights than Kayak or whatever? I haven't booked for fun in a very long time and flights to New Orleans are blowing my mind; I thought they'd be on the cheaper side w/ gas prices down.
I've been using this site for a while. It's good for finding cheap tickets if you don't care where you want to go. A colleague used this site to get two round-trip tickets to Santiago, Chile for less than $800 total.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These spam accounts are out of control.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sabo wrote:I've been using this site for a while. It's good for finding cheap tickets if you don't care where you want to go. A colleague used this site to get two round-trip tickets to Santiago, Chile for less than $800 total.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I want to go to New Orleans for a specific weekend where there is a major event going on there, if that helps.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Only other thing I can tell you is remember that Kayak doesn't include Southwest in its matrix so remember to check swa.com separately.

I don't think you're going to have much better luck finding anything cheaper through a different site though. Only other option might be trying to hope that prices go down as it gets closer to the event, but that's a dangerous bet if you really, really want to go.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, that was actually worse. I got to the point where there's a better chance of losing $300 than saving $100 so I booked.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote:Yeah, that was actually worse. I got to the point where there's a better chance of losing $300 than saving $100 so I booked.
Is the major event JazzFest?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

It is. Bachelor party at Jazz Fest.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Google Flights
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I assume that Gunpowder knows this, but I thought I'd share just in case. The airport in the British Virgin Islands is Beef Island Airport (EIS).
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Anyone been to Santorini? Best part of the island to stay at? Other Greek island rec's?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

P.D.X. wrote:Anyone been to Santorini? Best part of the island to stay at? Other Greek island rec's?
I've been there, but just for a day. It was part of Greek island cruise. Awesome little island.

The wife and I rented a scooter and that was a great way to tool around the island. We also hiked up the one mountain and that was really cool also.
Totally Kafkaesque
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Shirley wrote:
P.D.X. wrote:Anyone been to Santorini? Best part of the island to stay at? Other Greek island rec's?
I've been there, but just for a day. It was part of Greek island cruise. Awesome little island.

The wife and I rented a scooter and that was a great way to tool around the island. We also hiked up the one mountain and that was really cool also.
Same here. Except that we rented a car because we had the family.

I think staying at the island would be really really expensive. But you do have to visit it, just so you can see the scenes that are on all the tourist posters. Looking back at the pictures on my phone, I think the most beatiful area there was Oia, on the north end. That has the famous blue domes on the white houses.

The island of Mikonos was also very nice.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

My parents went a couple years ago, but it may have just been a stop on a cruise. I did get ouzo in a lovely ornate bottle. I'll see if they have anything to say.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I was there and loved it... but I'll bet a lot has changed in the last 31 years.

We stayed in Thira and rented mopeds to get to the other villages. Man, the Greek islands are so beautiful...
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Steve of phpBB wrote:I think staying at the island would be really really expensive.
You'd be surprised at the off-season prices I'm seeing. I'm actually overwhelmed at the options, thus the Q.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

P.D.X. wrote:
Steve of phpBB wrote:I think staying at the island would be really really expensive.
You'd be surprised at the off-season prices I'm seeing. I'm actually overwhelmed at the options, thus the Q.
Then god yes, if you can get an affordable place in Thera or Fira or Oia, go for it. We only had a few hours because it was a cruise stop, but I would have killed to have a few days.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Got one night in Chicago on the way back from Greece. Where should I rage? Staying in Lincoln Park area.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Go to Alinea just because its the only super-hyped restaurant I'd actually really, really want to go to.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »