2017 NFL Offseason

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rush2112
The Dude

Re: 2017 NFL Offseason

Post by Rush2112 »

So Osweiler to Jets? If the 9ers are rolling with Hoyer, they're the only team that's QB needy.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I really don't understand why the Browns don't just play Osweiler this season. They need someone to play QB, they're probably not drafting a QB in the first round and if Osweiler actually plays halfway decent they might be able to get better trade value for him next season.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Logan Ryan to the Titans.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

brian wrote:I really don't understand why the Browns don't just play Osweiler this season. They need someone to play QB, they're probably not drafting a QB in the first round and if Osweiler actually plays halfway decent they might be able to get better trade value for him next season.
Osweiler has more value than RG3 and Out, and the Browns are trying to trade Osweiler (while eating a substantial amount of his contract) so they can get another pick.

Assuming the Browns don't trade their first round picks for Garoppolo (which would be completely and utterly idiotic, but this is the Browns we're talking about), I think it's likely the Browns take Garrett with the first pick and try to get a QB with the 12th pick. They might have to move up a few spots to get their QB, but they have the resources to do it.

Also, apparently Garoppolo's Instagram was either a prank or hoax (according to ESPN), so his farewell post to the Patriots is worth diddily.

EDITED to remove hack claim.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

If it was a hack, why is it still up? Usually it would be deleted and an apology would be given.

Interesting to note: fitness hottie Paige Hathaway commented on it. That should be leading gossip columns this morning.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

You're right, Johnnie. I misread the ESPN report. They're now claiming it was a prank or a hoax and not a hack.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Redskins Fire Gm

Apparently the 3rd time in 6 years that McCloughan has lost a job at least partially due to issues with alcohol.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Sabo wrote:You're right, Johnnie. I misread the ESPN report. They're now claiming it was a prank or a hoax and not a hack.
Which, let's be honest, was pretty awesome.

Good morning, Ian Rapoport.

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Pruitt wrote:
Giff wrote:I'm doing much better than OK right now.
Are there celebrations in the streets of Houston right now?
I was at a pretty sparsely-populated BW3 when the news broke. It was the same BW3 I was at when UT won the national championship in 2006 and the reactions were very similar.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I would like to congratulate Ryan Pace and John Fox for signing their termination papers, effective in about 22 months. A 32-year-old safety! Markus Wheaton! Dion Sims and his 26 catches to play TE!

The first free agent I saw Chicago linked to, aside from Glennon, was Cordarrelle Patterson. Apparently, scoring a couple kick return scores will offset an offense that will barely be able to muster a touchdown a week until Jordan Howard gets broken from overuse.

This weekend, I expect to be putting together a long post on Jay Cutler. Read it or don't.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That seems to be an awful lot of real money to pay for a 2nd round pick.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote:That seems to be an awful lot of real money to pay for a 2nd round pick.
It is and it isn't. Not being obtuse, just obviously depends on if you hit on the pick or not. But if you asked 32 GMs if they could get a "free" second-round pick for $15 million of their owner's money, 32 would say yes.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

You have to consider the salary floor. It's not like having $50, it's like having a $50 credit at DSW and choosing between a pair of shitty shoes that don't fit or getting to pick shoes next year.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Or for $150MM of their owner's money. But where does the actual good value lie?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Browns are releasing RG3 and Out today. He's due a $750,000 roster bonus if he's still with the team tomorrow.
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

Johnnie wrote:Logan Ryan to the Titans.
I am hoping that Dont'a Hightower will follow in the near future...
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DSafetyGuy wrote:I would like to congratulate Ryan Pace and John Fox for signing their termination papers, effective in about 22 months. A 32-year-old safety! Markus Wheaton! Dion Sims and his 26 catches to play TE!

The first free agent I saw Chicago linked to, aside from Glennon, was Cordarrelle Patterson. Apparently, scoring a couple kick return scores will offset an offense that will barely be able to muster a touchdown a week until Jordan Howard gets broken from overuse.

This weekend, I expect to be putting together a long post on Jay Cutler. Read it or don't.
I am looking forward to it as this is very strange behaviour indeed.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Pruitt wrote:Redskins Fire Gm

Apparently the 3rd time in 6 years that McCloughan has lost a job at least partially due to issues with alcohol.
This team is a dumpster fire. Fine fire McCloughan, but they have been lying about why he was not with the team and they are leaking the reason for his termination. Cousins seems like he really wants to go some place else. Even if they are doing things right, this team is killing their fan base. They claim a waiting list for season tickets but have sales people calling about them the day Cousins says he wants to be trades if they can't cut a deal and keep removing seats from the stadium. But they are just printing money so Snyder has no motivation to sell.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Pruitt wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:I would like to congratulate Ryan Pace and John Fox for signing their termination papers, effective in about 22 months. A 32-year-old safety! Markus Wheaton! Dion Sims and his 26 catches to play TE!

I am looking forward to it as this is very strange behaviour indeed.
In the meantime, Bears fans, meet your new #1 cornerback, Prince Amukamara!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

wlu_lax6 wrote:
Pruitt wrote:Redskins Fire Gm

This team is a dumpster fire. Fine fire McCloughan, but they have been lying about why he was not with the team and they are leaking the reason for his termination. Cousins seems like he really wants to go some place else. Even if they are doing things right, this team is killing their fan base. They claim a waiting list for season tickets but have sales people calling about them the day Cousins says he wants to be trades if they can't cut a deal and keep removing seats from the stadium. But they are just printing money so Snyder has no motivation to sell.
There's a report that Mike Mayock is on their list of candidates. That seems, to me, to an attempt to float his name to see how the fanbase reacts to bringing in a recognizable name from TV, then go from there.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Tom 1860 wrote:
Johnnie wrote:Logan Ryan to the Titans.
I am hoping that Dont'a Hightower will follow in the near future...
What I'm trying to read between news and fake news is that it's possible. He's from there. He posted about being in Nashville on his Snapchat. But then I read tweets that say nothing is imminent.

In other news, Kony Ealy and a 3rd rounder to New England for their second rounder. Basically, the Pats moved back 8 spots and got an edge rusher pushed out due to Julius Peppers heading back to Carolina.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Terrelle Pryor to Redskins on a one-year, $8 million deal.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DSafetyGuy wrote:This weekend, I expect to be putting together a long post on Jay Cutler. Read it or don't.
I will read that. I've always tried to tune out the Cutler hate and the Cutler hate hate, but I'd like to read your perspective on all that nonsense.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Steve of phpBB wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:This weekend, I expect to be putting together a long post on Jay Cutler. Read it or don't.
I will read that. I've always tried to tune out the Cutler hate and the Cutler hate hate, but I'd like to read your perspective on all that nonsense.
It's gonna go more on the "Cutler hate hate" side of the coin, but it's not gonna be one-sided.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

That's what I'm talking about bill. Cooks to NE. Now sign high tower and go home.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

BOOM

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

HaulCitgo wrote:That's what I'm talking about bill. Cooks to NE. Now sign high tower and go home.
Sorry, I stepped on your dick there. But my posted tweet had the deets.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Sabo wrote:Terrelle Pryor to Redskins on a one-year, $8 million deal.
Did you know that Terrelle Pryor has 79 receptions in his career, and 77 of the were last season? A huge year, yet the Browns went after noted head case Kenny Britt and let Pryor walk.

Sounds like the Skins are adding to their team chemistry... http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... lle-pryor/
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

That guy can play. Wonder if they'll resign Blount. Offense is set.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Reddit NFL right now...

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DSafe, I know the Bears aren't exactly playing 4D chess, but at least they aren't the Jets:

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

I view that Cooks trade as pretty logical for both teams, rather than a robbery by New England. Given Brady's age the Patriots should obviously be in win-now mode and so draft picks aren't as valuable as an established star. But on the other hand, the Saints have had a horrible defense for years now, and Brees still being good is probably the only thing keeping them from being one of the league's worst teams. Assuming that they use the Patriots picks on defense and don't whiff on their choices, I think it's a logical trade for them.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Yeah but the contract. Basically a 2yr $10million with $3million first year cap hit. Cheap deals on talent is a big competitive advantage for the rest of the team. Not only that but Cooks is next level and the 32nd pick isn't an assured next level guy. You would have to gamble for talent like mixon or a drug problem or injury guy.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnnie wrote:DSafe, I know the Bears aren't exactly playing 4D chess, but at least they aren't the Jets:

Mike Tanier also mocks the Jets, but I found this tweet about the Bears hitting very close to home:

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I just heard on the Simmons podcast that the Patriots were the only playoff team in the top 10 in terms of available cap space.

I hate them so much.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Something for you to take a bit of joy in: concurrent reports on the internet that Butler wants to be a "Patriot for life," "was told that no corner would get more than 10 million annually," "wants out of New England," and "won't hold out if he has the sign his RFA tender."

Literally all of that in the last hour on NFL Reddit.

Also, Dont'a is visiting the Steelers today.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Cutler, as promised.

This is going to be wandering and, at times, seemingly aimless. Actually, that last word pretty much sums up almost everything the Bears have done and continue to do for the last quarter century or so.

Last week, Jay Cutler was released by the Chicago Bears. Gifted with an arm no one trusted more than he and more than enough athleticism to get by, Cutler was more often than not a punching bag for Bears fans and the media, both local and national. Petulant and whiny, Cutler owned some of the worst facial expressions and body language in the league, making him an easy target for when he failed.

And fail he did. He threw a lot of interceptions, often wearing an aloof expression that made it appear he did not care. He elicited negative comments from former teammates with a frequency that suggests the easiest way to get a football player to give a hot take is ask him about Cutler. There’s no point listing his failures, you’re already on the internet.

But, just as often as Cutler failed, so did his teammates. Often surrounded with a large amount of below average offensive talent, Cutler could not lift them to a collective higher level.

OFFENSIVE LINE:
2009 - seven different starters, three started all 16 games, five started at least 11
2010 - eight different starters, two started all 16 games, five started at least 12
2011 - eight different starters, two started all 16 games, four started at least 13
2012 - nine different starters, two started all 16 games, four started at least 11
2013 - five guys started all 16 games
2014 - nine different starters, no one started all 16 games, five started at least 12
2015 - eight different starters, two started all 16 games, four started at least 11
2016 - eight different starters, two started all 16 games, four started at least 12

In 2009, Cutler’s left tackle was Orlando Pace. The future Hall-of-Famer turned 34 midway through the season after signing a three-year, $15-million contract. He was quickly released after one season.

2010 started the J’Marcus Webb Era at left tackle, which ran through the 2012 season. Webb started 44 games in three seasons for the Bears, beginning on opening day as a rookie 7th-rounder out of West Texas A&M. That’s right, straight from NCAA D-II to the NFL. (I’m not going to get into the Bears’ draft busts of first round tackles Chris Williams - cut after four years of bouncing around the line - and Game Carimi - traded for a 6th-round pick after two seasons.)

The Bears led the league in sacks allowed in 2010 with 56, finished 5th in 2011 at 49, and 8th in 2012 at 44. Cutler was on the receiving end of 113 of those 149 sacks, missing eight games in those three seasons (although six of those games came when he broke his thumb trying to make a tackle). Cutler was sacked a league-high 52 times in 2010, including nine times by the New York Giants on 20 dropbacks. Cutler led eight drives, was sacked on all but one of them, and had two three-and-outs in which he was sacked twice. He did not play in the second half after being concussed.

In a 2012 loss to Green Bay, Cutler was sacked seven times and hurried into four picks. This game, however, is more remembered for Cutler screaming at and shoving Webb. Quote following the game from Cutler: “This is not a hobby for me. I am not doing this for my health. I am trying to win football games and get first downs. When we’re not doing the little things or not doing things the right way consistently, I’m going to say something. If they want a quarterback that doesn’t care, they can get somebody else.”

Webb was cut shortly before the start of the 2013 season.

The best player on the Bears’ offensive line since 2013 is right guard Kyle Long, who made the Pro Bowl in each of his first three years and would have made it in 2016 if not for an injury that required surgery. When drafted, it was speculated that, due to his athleticism, Long would eventually be groomed to be a left tackle and it was believed he would be a star at the most important position on the offensive line. After two years at right guard, the team nudged him out to right tackle… then moved him back to right guard, choosing to leave left tackle to Charles Leno, Jr., a 7th-round pick in 2014.

Fun notes about where some members the Bears’ offensive line came from during Cutler’s time.

Frank Omiyale was a 5th-rounder from Tennessee Tech who appeared in 11 games in four years with Atlanta and Carolina. Chicago signed him to a four-year, $14 million contract in 2009 and he started 31 games in three years before being cut.

Lance Louis was a 7th-round pick in 2009 who started 24 games in 2011 and 2012. Future Bear Jared Allen blindsided him in Week 12 of 2012, tearing his ACL. The Bears released him after the season.

Edwin Williams was an undrafted free agent who spent a season with Washington, then started a dozen games over three seasons with Chicago.

Chilo Rachal was brought in on a one-year deal in 2012 after four seasons and 38 starts with the 49ers. He started eight games for the Bears that season, then left the team for personal reasons, never playing in the NFL again.

Jordan Mills was a 5th-round pick in 2013 from Louisiana Tech who ended up starting 29 games in 2013 and 2014. The Bears cut him right before the start of the 2015 season.

Ryan Groy went from undrafted free agent to practice squad to starting three games in 2014.

Michael Ola, who started 12 games at four positions for the Bears in 2014, previously played for the Jacksonville Sharks, whatever that is.

There’s lots of roster churn in the NFL, particularly due to injuries, but the Bears seem to rely on a lot of fringe talents on the offensive line (and secondary, but that’s a separate issue).

RECEIVING CORPS:

2009 NFL leaders: Wes Welker - 123 catches, Andre Johnson - 1,569 receiving yards, Randy Moss/Larry Fitzgerald - 13 TDs

The top three WRs for Chicago in 2009 (Devin Hester, Earl Bennett, and Johnny Knox) totaled 156 receptions for 2,001 yards and 11 touchdowns. The top Chicago TE was Greg Olsen, who led the team with 60 catches.

2010 NFL leaders: Roddy White - 115 catches, Brandon Lloyd - 1,448 receiving yards, Dwayne Bowe - 15 TD

The top three WRs for Chicago in 2010 (Johnny Knox, Earl Bennett, and Devin Hester) totaled 138 receptions for 1,925 yards and 13 touchdowns. The top Chicago TE was Greg Olsen, who had 41 catches.

2011 NFL leaders: Wes Welker - 122 catches, Calvin Johnson - 1,681 receiving yards, 16 TDs

The top three WRs for Chicago in 2011 (Johnny Knox, Roy Williams, and Devin Hester) totaled 100 receptions for 1,603 yards and five touchdowns. The top Chicago TE was Kellen Davis, who had 18 catches.

(Here is a side note to inform you that the Bears went into multiple seasons with the expectation that Devin Hester would be their #1 wide receiver. Hester caught 217 passes for 2,807 yards and 14 TDs in six seasons of playing WR in Chicago, never reaching 60 receptions, 800 yards, or five TDs.)

In 2012, the Bears traded for Brandon Marshall, who was an All-Pro with 118 catches for 1,508 yards, and 11 TDs. The remaining WRs on the roster caught 78 passes. Kellen Davis caught 19 passes that season. That remains his career-high after nine seasons.

COACHES:

LOVIE SMITH:
Cutler’s first four years in Chicago were under the defensive-minded Lovie Smith (see aforementioned mediocre wide receiver stats). The Lovie Smith era was marked with an emphasis on defense and special teams followed by the quote “get off the bus running”. And, hey, it worked when the defense and special teams were strong enough.

In 2006, they were the NFC’s top seed, losing in the Super Bowl to Indianapolis with Rex Grossman as their quarterback. That team tied for second in points scored, but was 19th in yards per play. Nine non-offensive touchdowns and a safety gave them 65 bonus points. They also had the most offensive drives in the league due to the defense recovering a league-best 20 fumbles and a second-best 28 interceptions. There was no doubt that the Bears reached the Super Bowl due to their defense and special teams.

During Jay Cutler’s four years under Smith, the Bears ranged between 16th and 21st in points scored, but also 20th through 28th in yards per play. While those scoring stats are pretty much in line with the league average, those figures are also propped up by 18 defensive and eight special teams touchdowns, including nine combined TDs in 2012 and ten combined TDs in 2011.

MARC TRESTMAN:
In 2013, the Bears brought in Marc Trestman to soup up the offense. Alshon Jeffery developed into a strong contributor next to Marshall and Martellus Bennett was brought in to play TE. It clearly worked… save for the completely ignored defense, which finished next-to-last in points allowed and last in yards per play. The defense also finished next-to-last in points allowed the following season and 30th in yards per play. Trestman was fired shortly after the season ended and resurfaced as the Ravens’ offensive coordinator, making it a season and five games before being fired.

JOHN FOX:
In 2015, John Fox brought in his defense and ball control philosophy. Brandon Marshall was traded with a 7th-rounder for the Jets 5th-rounder that offseason and Martellus Bennett was sent to New England with a 6th-rounder for a 4th-round pick the following year. Both Marshall and Bennett verbally trashed Cutler after leaving.

OFFENSIVE COORDINATORS OF NOTE:

2010-11 - Mike Martz -
After the 2010 season, offensive genius Mike Martz had no use for tight ends, so the team traded away a 26-year-old Greg Olsen, who has since gone on to become the first tight end in NFL history to have three consecutive 1,000-yard seasons.
Martz’s tenure was also noteworthy for Cutler saying, during the third quarter of a game with the team up 20, “Tell Martz I said ‘Fuck him.’” in regards to his play-calling.

2012 - Mike Tice
Tice’s tenure was noteworthy for Cutler walking away from Tice on the sideline after coming to the bench following a drive. In the game broadcast showing the footage, Mike Tirico states that the plays were coming in late on the previous drive. Cutler was 18-of-24 for 275 yards and two TDs in that game.

Reports after Tice’s departure say that Josh McCown served as a “liaison” because Cutler would not talk to Tice.

2013-2014 - Aaron Kromer
The most noteworthy thing during Kromer’s tenure was an anonymous source stating prior to a game late in 2014 that the franchise felt “buyer’s remorse” over signing Cutler to a contract extension. Kromer originally denied that he was source of that comment, then made a tearful apology in a team meeting in which he admitted he had made the statement.

In 2013, the coaching staff also wanted to bench him for Josh McCown after Cutler returned from injury. McCown was having his best stretch of play in the NFL, which actually was rolling up big stats against primarily bad defenses. McCown had a 13-to-1 TD-to-INT ratio that season, but nine of his touchdowns came against four teams ranked among the nine worst in the league in points allowed.

2015 - Adam Gase
Game rode arguably Cutler’s best season in the NFL to the Miami head coaching job, getting hired before turning 38 years of age.

INJURIES OF NOTE:

Cutler won seven of the ten games he started in 2011, but broke his thumb trying to make a tackle on an interception return. Cutler finished the game, but missed the remainder of the season. The Bears went 1-5 without him, only defeating the 3-13 Vikings in the season finale. (Cutler was 51-51 as a starting QB for the Bears over eight seasons. All other quarterbacks went 7-19 in that time.)

In the 2010 NFC Championship Game, Cutler sprained his MCL against Green Bay. He couldn’t play, but could stand on the sidelines, and was mercilessly ripped by media and other players for that.

In some ways, Cutler resembles those he seemed to butt heads with the most - coaches. Cutler, however, was more like a curmudgeonly coach from a bygone era, operating on a ”my way or the high way” policy, almost always refusing to change and always refusing to put a media-friendly spin on what had happened, not giving a shit about appearances.

In short, Cutler was a little better than league average quarterback, good enough to help a team with other parts to be above average, but not good enough to lift the level of his teammates consistently. Had he not gotten a sprained MCL and beaten the Packers to reach the Super Bowl, he’d probably have a better reputation. In fact, if that injury had been slightly worse, he’d probably have a better reputation.

In spite of having his name all over a storied franchise’s record book (Chicago is the winningest franchise in NFL history and also has the third-best win percentage), he’s probably exactly what I thought he was the day he was traded - the third-best quarterback in team history. His statistical accomplishments are more due to health and the era in which he played than anything else. He was the flawed quarterback of a flawed franchise, neither side ever good enough to truly help the other.

In a few years, more Bears fans will wish they never sent him packing, but it won’t matter then, as they’ll be off on a different quest for competence.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Fantastic. Thanks, DSafe.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Good stuff, DSG!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Lions fans are bitching about Stafford's coming contract extension but in a world where Mike Glennon gets $15M a year, paying Stafford $25M hardly seems crazy.