World Cup 2018 Qualification

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: World Cup 2018 Qualification

Post by mister d »

Right? We need to be up 3 at the half so I can kick myself like a soccer ball into my bed which would represent the goal.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Pulisic. My God, what a future he has. Great run to get inside for the shot that Lletget buried.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Sucks for Lletget.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yooooooo ...
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Go to bed, mister d.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Sabo wrote:Pulisic. My God, what a future he has. Great run to get inside for the shot that Lletget buried.
Yup. And his play to beat the defender, save the ball on the sideline and burn in for the breakaway until the linesman fucked him. And the assist on Dempsey's goal was cheeky. Dempsey's first touch was sick, the strength to stay up, then to hit the top corner while being pulled down. Sick.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Sabo wrote:Go to bed, mister d.
Yeah, can't top that. Good call.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Is this the first time that Dempsey/Jozy/Pulisic have all been healthy and playing together?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Dempsey's goal was only like 7 total movements and I couldn't do any one of them.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Serious question: At what age would you guess Pulisic could die and be the best in US history?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

D, hope you didn't go to bed yet.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:Serious question: At what age would you guess Pulisic could die and be the best in US history?
If Freddy Adunduef at 17, he would have been the greatest US player ever.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Whhhhoooooooo!
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I mean including what you expect of his career as he ages.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yikes.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

mister d wrote:Serious question: At what age would you guess Pulisic could die and be the best in US history?
Kinda alluded to that age being a few weeks ago in the klinsmann thread. Got rightfully corrected but it's pretty clear he's already in top 5-10. I'd go with that date coming next year.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

No! That's like most skilled or greatest US talent. I'm saying at what age will his accomplishments, career, overtake Donovan or whoever. I'm imagine O/U is 23.5 or something, after his 2nd WC.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

mister d wrote:No! That's like most skilled or greatest US talent. I'm saying at what age will his accomplishments, career, overtake Donovan or whoever. I'm imagine O/U is 23.5 or something, after his 2nd WC.
Like I said. Next year. The guy is probably getting starts in a champions league quarterfinal. And a massive goal a couple weeks ago. One other American to do that? Gets you up that list pretty quick. I'll give you donovan on the basis of world cup performances and probably Beasley based on some wlulax stats. But all in all I think a year or two making a name at a big club beats a career at some EPL relegation factory which in turn beats anything at a MLS or Mexican or second division European club.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Well.

Ok, then.

I have seen the US walk through shitty CONCACAF teams. I have seen them dominate a few teams in surprising ways.

With what was at stake last night? With the relative quality on the other side of the field? Never seen anything like that.

And we didn't have Morris or Woods out there. The crazy thing about what was happening under JK is that we have more talent depth than we've had in many years. You can argue about the Harkes-Wynalda and ensuing years having overall better quality in the top XI, but you can't argue credibly that the player pool right now isn't deeper than ever.

Arena is just a better tactician. He set them up to succeed yesterday, and I'm confident he will continue to do so. He is not interested in making fucking style points. All he's ever done is mold teams to be successful.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote:Well.

Ok, then.

I have seen the US walk through shitty CONCACAF teams. I have seen them dominate a few teams in surprising ways.

With what was at stake last night? With the relative quality on the other side of the field? Never seen anything like that.

And we didn't have Morris or Woods out there. The crazy thing about what was happening under JK is that we have more talent depth than we've had in many years. You can argue about the Harkes-Wynalda and ensuing years having overall better quality in the top XI, but you can't argue credibly that the player pool right now isn't deeper than ever.

Arena is just a better tactician. He set them up to succeed yesterday, and I'm confident he will continue to do so. He is not interested in making fucking style points. All he's ever done is mold teams to be successful.
And simplicity and molding tactics to the players on the pitch is all we need to qualify. Jurgen always found a way to throw out a team with 5 guys playing out of position, and not fitting the plan to the guys on the field. With the current pool, you could play any number of formations/tactics, and slot in players to fit. Or, you can select the squad you want, and play to their strengths. Jurgen did neither. Arena got that performance out of a side with no time together, and numerous last minute injuries throwing a wrench in the works.

At any other point in USMNT history, those injuries and suspensions would have been devastating. Now, you slot in a 34 yo guy coming off of a long absence, who Arena said was maybe good for 15 minutes off the bench, and he gets a hat trick. Not to mention, the additional 2 injuries, one very early. Hopefully a sign of Bruce being able to bring some confidence and stability into the team.

I know Honduras is a talented team, but were they horrible on Friday, or just look that way? They did have a number of chances, and the game felt out of reach early, so it's hard to tell. I don't feel like the US played that fantastic a game, but they did have some moments of brilliance and great finishing, I just got a sense that Honduras was offly flat.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

So not on regular cable at all? I like soccer and all but I'm trying to cut the bill not add to it. At least I'll get a pitcher of beer for my troubles. The wife did add Kodi. Will that get me what I need?
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Game will be on BeIN Sport, which means that people who have that channel will have only a slightly better view of the action than people who don't.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote:So not on regular cable at all? I like soccer and all but I'm trying to cut the bill not add to it. At least I'll get a pitcher of beer for my troubles. The wife did add Kodi. Will that get me what I need?
You can always find live streams. I haven't used stream sites in a while, so I can't recommend one, but there are always tons of options. And if the game gets boring, you can always find any game broadcast in Russian, streamed from a guy in China.
-Pruitt
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I'll be watching on SlingTV. BeInSports is one of the channels in the sports pack.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rex wrote:Game will be on BeIN Sport, which means that people who have that channel will have only a slightly better view of the action than people who don't.
Channel 620 on DirecTV, but I don't get that channel in my package.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The pitch doesn't look plastic, but the ball is bouncing on it like it is. There are also no anti-shake features on their cameras and the main shot feels like it's set atop a rickety wooden high school stadium.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I forgot how much I hate watching Panama play. Every foul on them is sold like it's a broken ankle or torn hamstring, every time one of their players gets touched they act like they've been shot.

I remember a few years ago when the US played in Panama and the Panamanians had a 1-0 lead in the 70th minute. Their goalkeeper (former Galaxy GK Jaime Penedo) caught a soft shot, took two steps forward, raised his hand, and then fell down in agony. Seven minutes later he was upright and running. Fucking cowards.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Pulisic is a god. My goodness ... he just created that goal out of thin air.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Everyone just looked exhausted in the final 25 minutes, and I don't think I'm projecting there.
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

It was also on Directv 410. NBC Universo.

Mrs TU2 has removed Panama from a vacation destination due to all the bats.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, Panama isn't as bad as Guatemala and El Salvador, but they're pretty close in terms of bullshit antics.

4 points is a good result out of these two games, but can't help be a little disappointed. Their goal was garbage.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I don't remember it always being that way for Panama, I thought they used to be a lot less negative. Last night was ridiculous, they signaled exactly what they were going to do in the first 10 minutes, and there was nothing we could do about it.

Still, a draw does no violence to our chances. Other results this week were good too. Looks like it's just a matter of making up the 1 point on Panama over 6 games, because HON and TNT aren't showing a whole lot.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Rex wrote:I don't remember it always being that way for Panama, I thought they used to be a lot less negative. Last night was ridiculous, they signaled exactly what they were going to do in the first 10 minutes, and there was nothing we could do about it.

Still, a draw does no violence to our chances. Other results this week were good too. Looks like it's just a matter of making up the 1 point on Panama over 6 games, because HON and TNT aren't showing a whole lot.
And given how chippy things were getting, playing that game without anyone getting yellow or red cards is a good thing.

I thought the ref had a strong game. I'm always leery about CONCACAF refs because they either hand out cards like candy or let physical play dominate the game. I thought he struck a good balance.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Wins at home and draws on the road should clinch a top 3 spot. I didn't lose my shit after the first two games and not about to now either. Team looks a lot better and that's what's important, even with all of the injuries. Should be healthier (hopefully, though I guess you never know) for next two qualifiers.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm not sure when Panama turned into this version of itself, but it certainly hasn't always been like this. Total conjecture, but I'm thinking that with increased expectations for results comes increased pressure.

They've had decent success recently at the Gold Cup. I'm almost positive they've never qualified for a WC, so... You're looking at a pretty desperate crew.

Then you add on the truly bizarre way that WE knocked them out of going to Brazil.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rex wrote:Everyone just looked exhausted in the final 25 minutes, and I don't think I'm projecting there.
Early on I was thinking it must be humid. Jozy and Clint were barely moving when Panamanian defenders had the ball. There were a number of times in the first half when both teams were playing fast paced, and it would just shut down to a crawl out of nowhere. After the game, on the most ridiculously low budget post game show ever, they were talking about the brutal humidity. It may have been Heath Pearce and the other guy who apparently snuck onto the sideline long after the game ended. They mentioned something about "sitting in the stands" being bothered by the humidity. I'd love to know the economics of broadcasting these games. BeIn outbid ESPN, but won't pay to fly the announcers to game? Do they have to pay for access to the broadcast booth? The video feed is provided, but do they need to bring their own sound crew to broadcast? Is the issue paying for a second seat on a plan to accommodate Phil Schoen's girth? I hate when they have announcers watching the game in the studio. It loses so much of the excitement of the call, and they don't see anything beyond what is televised, so they are as clueless as the viewer when something happens off camera.

But to the game, a good result and decent showing. Ream was outclassed. I like him, but he isn't good enough. Zusi is in a tough spot playing out of position, and his inexperience showed. I'd be ok with him getting some experience at RB in friendlies, maybe, but we were lucky Zusi didn't cost us the game with a major mistake. Pulisic is the fucking real deal. Muscling Baloy off the ball like that, in the box, was damned impressive. Then, he was so cool on the ball to keep control and see Dempsey for the soft layoff. Just sick. He is still a boy, FFS. His humble demeanor and seeming comfort during interviews gives me a lot of hope that he won't wilt under the spotlight, or let success and fame go to his head. Just need to avoid injuries, and keep getting playing time at the club level. I'm glad he didn't move to Liverpool, despite wanting to see him play regularly. Too many young US star players have moved to bigger clubs, and disappeared. He is getting Champions League knockout round games and playing in a top tier league, can't beat that.

Nagbe showed well, and Villafana did all that was asked of him. I've never seen Villafana before Arena called him up, so I don't know his game or talent, but he was solid both games, but didn't have all that much to do.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote:
Rex wrote:Everyone just looked exhausted in the final 25 minutes, and I don't think I'm projecting there.
Early on I was thinking it must be humid. Jozy and Clint were barely moving when Panamanian defenders had the ball. There were a number of times in the first half when both teams were playing fast paced, and it would just shut down to a crawl out of nowhere. After the game, on the most ridiculously low budget post game show ever, they were talking about the brutal humidity. It may have been Heath Pearce and the other guy who apparently snuck onto the sideline long after the game ended. They mentioned something about "sitting in the stands" being bothered by the humidity. I'd love to know the economics of broadcasting these games. BeIn outbid ESPN, but won't pay to fly the announcers to game? Do they have to pay for access to the broadcast booth? The video feed is provided, but do they need to bring their own sound crew to broadcast? Is the issue paying for a second seat on a plan to accommodate Phil Schoen's girth? I hate when they have announcers watching the game in the studio. It loses so much of the excitement of the call, and they don't see anything beyond what is televised, so they are as clueless as the viewer when something happens off camera.

But to the game, a good result and decent showing. Ream was outclassed. I like him, but he isn't good enough. Zusi is in a tough spot playing out of position, and his inexperience showed. I'd be ok with him getting some experience at RB in friendlies, maybe, but we were lucky Zusi didn't cost us the game with a major mistake. Pulisic is the fucking real deal. Muscling Baloy off the ball like that, in the box, was damned impressive. Then, he was so cool on the ball to keep control and see Dempsey for the soft layoff. Just sick. He is still a boy, FFS. His humble demeanor and seeming comfort during interviews gives me a lot of hope that he won't wilt under the spotlight, or let success and fame go to his head. Just need to avoid injuries, and keep getting playing time at the club level. I'm glad he didn't move to Liverpool, despite wanting to see him play regularly. Too many young US star players have moved to bigger clubs, and disappeared. He is getting Champions League knockout round games and playing in a top tier league, can't beat that.

Nagbe showed well, and Villafana did all that was asked of him. I've never seen Villafana before Arena called him up, so I don't know his game or talent, but he was solid both games, but didn't have all that much to do.
It's not the complete EPL coverage that NBCSN and their apps, site, etc. provide, but I've got to imagine Fox and FS1 show a ton of Dortmund games. I'd think that every Bayern game is on, like Barca and Madrid and BeIn, but I'd guess Dortmund are on quite a bit.

ETA - a quick check of www.livesoccertv.com says that all of Dortmund's games until 4/22 are televised on either FS1 or FS2
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Thought Nagbe had a good shift. I think that some of the moves he relies on in MLS got snuffed out by the pancakes early on until he adjusted his game a bit. They obviously had some direction to defend him high on his right side to keep him from cutting toward the middle (common tactic). He lost the ball more than usual (some just due to not being out of sync as the team generally was, but other due to not getting rid of it quick enough), but led the team in tackles and was up there with fouls suffered. Thought he played the best when the game started to open up and he was able to start turning in the midfield more.
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

2026 48-team World Cup Allocation

Europe 16
Africa 9
Asia 8
S. America 6
Concacaf 6
Oceania 1

6 team playoff for final 2 spots
10th africa
9th asia
7th s. America
7th concacaf
2nd oceania
Next best from hosting confederation

The hosting confederation loses 1 main spot but gains 1 playoff spot
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Is this 48-team thing official? CONCACAF getting 6 spots is kind of ridiculous frankly.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!