Riley Cooper

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Riley Cooper

Post by sancarlos »

Eagles' wide receiver drops N-bomb on-camera. People are pissed off. This guy is supposed to be a starter, now that Jeremy Maclin is injured, but I think I think some folks want to injure him, now (see tweets by Mike's brother, Marcus Vick.)

Link

And...
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Riley Cooper

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote:Eagles' wide receiver drops N-bomb on-camera. People are pissed off. This guy is supposed to be a starter, now that Jeremy Maclin is injured, but I think I think some folks want to injure him, now (see tweets by Mike's brother, Marcus Vick.)

Link

And...

In his defense, every nigger at a Kenny Chesney concert needs an ass kicking.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The Sybian wrote:
sancarlos wrote:Eagles' wide receiver drops N-bomb on-camera. People are pissed off. This guy is supposed to be a starter, now that Jeremy Maclin is injured, but I think I think some folks want to injure him, now (see tweets by Mike's brother, Marcus Vick.)

Link

And...

In his defense, every nigger at a Kenny Chesney concert needs an ass kicking.
Every homosapien, really.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

A white person called some black people niggers. Ooh Mye Geee!

Who the fuck cares? What a stupid fucking country.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Also...Urban Meyer!
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

sancarlos wrote:And...
That might be the first article in 7 or 8 years that mentioned both Marcus Vick and McDonalds incident (though without referencing the restaurant) and didn't steal SL's photoshop.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I thought it was funny. And I also thought his apology was funny. "I've never used the word before, I don't know what happened"...ok, Riley. Sure you have. It's such a versatile word! If I were blacker I'd use it ten times as often.

"I've never used that word before ever" - Oooook. Like it's a word that you can use once in your life, like "preposterous" or something. Suuuuure.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

rass wrote:
sancarlos wrote:And...
That might be the first article in 7 or 8 years that mentioned both Marcus Vick and McDonalds incident (though without referencing the restaurant) and didn't steal SL's photoshop.

Will Leitch didn't give an f that he stole that ish. And that's why he's a failed...wait, he's writing for Grantland now. Damn it!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Those Vicks come from some good stock.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

[quote="howard"]A white person called some black people niggers. Ooh Mye Geee!

Who the fuck cares? [\quote]

I'm guessing a few of his teammates care.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Icepenis wrote:"I've never used that word before ever" - Oooook. Like it's a word that you can use once in your life, like "preposterous" or something.
Or "mallemaroking".
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I heard Sal Paolantonio on the radio this afternoon and he said this is the most difficult story he has ever had to cover. I guess it was really, really awkward out there today.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

howard wrote:A white person called some black people niggers. Ooh Mye Geee!

Who the fuck cares?
Giff wrote:I'm guessing a few of his teammates care.
I'll guess they did not need any media, much less the coverage the media has given us, to learn of his conduct. Sure, 60 people out of 300 million.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Weatherfrog
Maude Lebowski

Post by Weatherfrog »

Do you think Marcus Vick has ever called a woman a bitch or a cunt? Do you think he has ever called a white person a cracker? Do you think he has ever called a gay/effeminate guy a faggot?

I bet he has.

I bet most NFL players have done at least one of those things.

I am just tired of the self righteousness.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Maybe it's just me, but I expect white people who look like that and have a name like "Riley Cooper" to not only attend Kenny Chesney (country) concerts, but to say the N-word as well. It's probably from the abundance of Rednecks and country music I've been exposed to between Louisiana and Arizona.

Let me know when Paula Deen's fanbase comes to his defense and the Rainbow-Push coalition starts demanding things. I like my circuses lively.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Weatherfrog
Maude Lebowski

Post by Weatherfrog »

Similarly, I expect people who look and act like Marcus Vick to be sexist, racist, homophobes. It's probably because I lived in Memphis for 13 years and lived for 7 years next door to a guy that fought dogs.

Let me know the next time an NFL player is fined for calling a woman a bitch or calling a white ref a cracker.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Scottie wrote:
Icepenis wrote:"I've never used that word before ever" - Oooook. Like it's a word that you can use once in your life, like "preposterous" or something.
Or "mallemaroking".

Now there's a word I can use!
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Weatherfrog wrote:Do you think Marcus Vick has ever called a woman a bitch or a cunt? Do you think he has ever called a white person a cracker? Do you think he has ever called a gay/effeminate guy a faggot?

I bet he has.

I bet most NFL players have done at least one of those things.

I am just tired of the self righteousness.

Marcus Vick is crazy and LeSean McCoy just likes to do this in the media. I doubt it was thaaaaaat bad.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Most articles repeat the same stuff, but this piece by Dan Wetzel of Yahoo is interesting. At least to me.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Weatherfrog wrote:Similarly, I expect people who look and act like Marcus Vick to be sexist, racist, homophobes. It's probably because I lived in Memphis for 13 years and lived for 7 years next door to a guy that fought dogs.

Let me know the next time an NFL player is fined for calling a woman a bitch or calling a white ref a cracker.
When's the last time a black player was videotaped using that word and no punishment was given or it wasn't talked about? Seriously, maybe it's happened, but I'm not sure. Not sure that calling a woman a bitch is the same thing as racial remarks, but that's probably a different discussion.
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

Giff wrote:
Weatherfrog wrote:Similarly, I expect people who look and act like Marcus Vick to be sexist, racist, homophobes. It's probably because I lived in Memphis for 13 years and lived for 7 years next door to a guy that fought dogs.

When's the last time a black player was videotaped using that word and no punishment was given or it wasn't talked about? Seriously, maybe it's happened, but I'm not sure. Not sure that calling a woman a bitch is the same thing as racial remarks, but that's probably a different discussion.
The Ynes Saenz thing got blown way out of proportion a couple of years ago.

But that is quite different in my mind since the players dont have to work with women. If I called women bitches and cunts on the reg, I am sure they wouldnt want to work with me. Same with black players and Cooper.
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

And now people are saying that the Eagles, if they cut him (which has been rumored), will be firing him over a word and that "every workplace in America would need to fire half of their workers". No. Ok....he would be cut not because he called some dude a nig, but because he works with predominantly N's in a team sport and they all hate him now. It's that simple. It would be like if PK Subban was filmed saying Canada is full of white faggots or something.

A lot of these people had no problem with cutting Rashard Mendenhall after he came out as a terrorist (jk, he said that people celebrating death over OBL was wrong or something). The counseling is stupid - Riley Cooper probably isn't a racist and knows he shouldn't call black people N's. But if he gets cut, it's not because he said nigger. It's because his teammates hate him. That's all.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

It's a double-standard, obviously. But it is a double-standard that is alive and well; being conscious of that is pretty simple.

I suppose the team had to do something (or, rather, have to be seen doing something) but perhaps the best punishment would have been to do nothing at all. Maybe that's my ice hockey mentality speaking; the players would have taken care of it. There's no shortage of ripped DBs out there, who just happen to be Black guys, that would have had green number 14 nice and lined up.

The odd thing is that Riley was actually talking about White guys, no? He just picked an inappropriate word. If he said "I'll fuck up any trailer-trash redneck mouth-breathing inbred dog-fucking creepy-ass cracker in the house", people would have likely just dismissed it as stupidity.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Scottie wrote:It's a double-standard, obviously. But it is a double-standard that is alive and well; being conscious of that is pretty simple.

I suppose the team had to do something (or, rather, have to be seen doing something) but perhaps the best punishment would have been to do nothing at all. Maybe that's my ice hockey mentality speaking; the players would have taken care of it. There's no shortage of ripped DBs out there, who just happen to be Black guys, that would have had green number 14 nice and lined up.

The odd thing is that Riley was actually talking about White guys, no? He just picked an inappropriate word. If he said "I'll fuck up any trailer-trash redneck mouth-breathing inbred dog-fucking creepy-ass cracker in the house", people would have likely just dismissed it as stupidity.

Nah, the security guard that didn't let him in was black.

But I am 100% on the bolded part. The team is doing way too much to look "tolerant" here. They are keeping this alive. If they would have said "we don't condone this", and then moved on, and let Cooper go to training camp and then see if his teammates could still coexist with him, that would have probably worked out much better. The DBs may have gone after him, but for me, that biggest thing would have been if his teammates were ok with having him around. If they were, whatever. If not, then I'd cut him.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Just a word. Calm yourself and keep moving. Nothing to see here. I mean, it shows your true colors but bottom line is that I welcome racists on my team if they can play. The players will sort out their internal issues in a jailyard kind of way anyway. No one on that team is legitimately offended by him saying nigger.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

HaulCitgo wrote:Just a word. Calm yourself and keep moving. Nothing to see here. I mean, it shows your true colors but bottom line is that I welcome racists on my team if they can play. The players will sort out their internal issues in a jailyard kind of way anyway. No one on that team is legitimately offended by him saying nigger.

Right, and if this is the case, then that's it.

Other than LeSean McCoy, of course, but he's a woman.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

The idea that players are unwilling or unable to play alongside racist teammates cracks me the fuck up. Since exactly when?

If I was a cornerback for an NFL team on the Iggles' schedule, and I was preparing for a game vs them, about the next to last thing on my mind would be, 'that one wideout called someone a nigger; ima gunna fuck him up'. That kind of dumb-assed shit can turn around on you and make you look like a fool, and give up an easy first down if not six points, quicker than you can say cracker. This league is serious fucking skill.

If the Eagles cut every man who has used any form of the word nigger, they would be unable to field a team.

My goodness, but this is fucking stupid. Even compared to all the other fucking stupid shit going on in the league, in sports, and in general. The outrage and indignation is fucking stupid. Hundred-thousandairre football players, for fucks sake.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

He apologized. That should have been the end of it. But not in race-baiting America. No. Not in a country whose media is so desperate to depict White people as racists that George Zimmerman found himself being described, surely much to his own surprise, as a "White Hispanic".

Riley Cooper is another brick reinforcing the double-standard wall. And that judgemental hypocrisy is what political correctness causes; a society in which some people can say nigger with no repercussions whatsoever and others cannot. Punishing someone for using a word that is commonly used by so many people, not the least of which are those going out of their way to be upset by the use of that word, is a particularly hypocritical freedom of speech infringement. Deliberate and shallow racially-based accusations only increase a racial divide; an act that, in itself, is more racist than any uttered word.

- Hey, man, you can't say "nigger".
- But you just said "nigger".
- Yeah. I can. You can't.

Anyone who fails to see a fundamental problem with this likely has far greater problems of their own.

This is one of the worst things about political correctness; it treats everyone as if they are in kindergarten. "You aren't allowed to say retarded because it is insensitive". As if all society is composed of children in need of guidance. Any laws, whether legal or moral, that dictate what words are right and what words are wrong are, in fact, broken and corrupt laws. Orwell, rightfully so, identified the advent of Thought Crime as the most heinous of human political constructs.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

You said it, my nigga.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

And as expected, the anti-PC crowd's self-righteousness shoots to the top of the list as to why Riley Cooper was stupid for saying this.

At least he didn't make fun of some art, huh?
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Giff wrote:And as expected, the anti-PC crowd's self-righteousness shoots to the top of the list as to why Riley Cooper was stupid for saying this.
Cooper "was stupid for saying this" because of the "anti-PC crowd's self-righteousness"? What does that even mean?

You misunderstand. Completely. You're not even close. Nobody's point is that Cooper is "stupid for saying this". Nobody said that but you. What is stupid is the indignant reaction from people who are only affected because they deliberately want to be affected.

"anti-PC crowd's self-righteousness" . . . yikes. That's an oxymoron of the worst sort. Entirely contradictory. Ridiculous. No humans on Earth are remotely near the Politically Correct when it comes to self-righteousness. Again, not even close. That's just flat-out bizarre. Don't even want to know where came up with that one.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'm sorry you couldn't follow. I personally get annoyed by self-righteous people like you who somehow claim to be above being offended, except of course, when you're offended by other people being offended. When I first heard about this story, the first thing I thought about was some idiotic anti-PC rant that was most assuredly forthcoming, that's one of the main reasons why I hated he said this. It's like predicting the sun will rise in the east. You do it every single time, which is especially hilarious given the way you act when someone offends you (threatening posters, deleting message boards, etc.).
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

Giff wrote:I'm sorry you couldn't follow. I personally get annoyed by self-righteous people like you who somehow claim to be above being offended, except of course, when you're offended by other people being offended. When I first heard about this story, the first thing I thought about was some idiotic anti-PC rant that was most assuredly forthcoming, that's one of the main reasons why I hated he said this. It's like predicting the sun will rise in the east. You do it every single time, which is especially hilarious given the way you act when someone offends you (threatening posters, deleting message boards, etc.).
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

You're babbling. Oh, I followed; as much as one can follow the path of a knot. Calling someone "self-righteous" because they are opposed to the thought-control social engineering construct of Political Correctness is the same as calling someone who is surrounded by a cult "self-righteous" because they refuse to drink the Kool-Aid.

Evidently lost on you is the fact that the only one in this thread throwing around unwarranted personal insults is you. This is unsurprising given that you don't care to (or simply cannot) debate the matter at hand on its actual substance. Singling out an individual ad hominem in lieu of actual discussion is neither debate nor relevant. You're merely venting, presumably because whatever is floating your boat this morning is disagreeable to you.

For one who is so obsessively pro-PC, flippant insults seem to roll off your tongue with remarkable ease.
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

Vick gets quite a lot of support from the media these days and is even seen as a role model by many people (including some players). If he gets that kind of support then so should Riley, as this is small potatoes compared to what Vick has been involved with...

I am sure there are loads of examples of people in the public eye who have said stupid stuff and the world has moved on?
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I didn't mean to leave you out, Giff. You my nigga too. All the swamp homies are niggas to me.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Tom 1860 wrote:Vick gets quite a lot of support from the media these days and is even seen as a role model by many people (including some players). If he gets that kind of support then so should Riley, as this is small potatoes compared to what Vick has been involved with...

I am sure there are loads of examples of people in the public eye who have said stupid stuff and the world has moved on?
We vote for them all the time.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

I was advised the guillotine dropped on Riley this morning.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

devilfluff wrote:I was advised the guillotine dropped on Riley this morning.
Which is funny, because many of the NFL info guys (Schefter, Glazer, La Canfora) tweeted a couple hours ago that he is supposed to practice today.

ETA: And now Rotoworld says he had reps with the first team today.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
devilfluff wrote:I was advised the guillotine dropped on Riley this morning.
Which is funny, because many of the NFL info guys (Schefter, Glazer, La Canfora) tweeted a couple hours ago that he is supposed to practice today.

ETA: And now Rotoworld says he had reps with the first team today.
Yeah, I got fed some bad info this morning. My bad.