Home Repairs

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Re: Home Repairs

Post by Brontoburglar »

NOT-HOT DRYER AIR TAKE: I don't use the dryer for any of my clothes (save for socks)
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

BSF21 wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:Do any of these high efficiency machines finish washing or drying a tiny load of laundry in under three hours? Or was that just the experience I had with the shitty-ass one in my rental place last summer when working out of town?
I probably average 1.5 hours per load start to finish but I also dry my clothing on low. A load of towels/sheets maybe takes an hour.
It took over three hours to dry a load that was three pairs of socks, three t-shirts, and three pairs of boxers. Absolute piece of shit.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
BSF21 wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:Do any of these high efficiency machines finish washing or drying a tiny load of laundry in under three hours? Or was that just the experience I had with the shitty-ass one in my rental place last summer when working out of town?
I probably average 1.5 hours per load start to finish but I also dry my clothing on low. A load of towels/sheets maybe takes an hour.
It took over three hours to dry a load that was three pairs of socks, three t-shirts, and three pairs of boxers. Absolute piece of shit.
Jesus, did you consider taking them out and blowing on them like hot soup? Might have been quicker.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Brontoburglar wrote:NOT-HOT DRYER AIR TAKE: I don't use the dryer for any of my clothes (save for socks)
Clothesline? Rack? If rack, do you set up towels beneath it?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

BSF21 wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:
BSF21 wrote:
Jesus, did you consider taking them out and blowing on them like hot soup? Might have been quicker.
Had to fire up the washer before leaving for work, then throw stuff in the dryer as soon as I got home in hopes that the clothes would miraculously be dry. If I had to run it for even longer, it was harder to fall asleep with the machine about four feet from my head, even with the closet doors closed.

The good news is I was doing laundry so frequently, I didn't care about the lack of a laundry hamper/basket. I just put dirty clothes straight in the washer.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

govmentchedda wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:NOT-HOT DRYER AIR TAKE: I don't use the dryer for any of my clothes (save for socks)
I have both in the laundry room with a dehumidifier and a fan. leave overnight and voila.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Brontoburglar wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:
I have both in the laundry room with a dehumidifier and a fan. leave overnight and voila.
I was wondering about that. Outdoor clotheslines have pretty much gone the way of the dodo bird unless you live way out in the country. [old guy tangent:] My mom hung our clothes on an outdoor clothesline when I was pretty young, and they smelled really great after drying outdoors.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

my dad still does that. they have a clothesline right outside the back door and he hangs up everything. I know he used the dryer sometimes, but I have no memories of him actually doing so.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

My parents still line dry. Towels still smell great when I go home.

We're having our wood floors (and carpet removed from the main stairs and upstairs hallway and having all of that also) refinished (to undo 13 years of wear and tear and dog and kids since we last had them done) before having the wallpaper removed from the stairwell and upstairs hallway and having it all painted and we had to clear out all of the living room and dining room furniture and I was pretty sure we could move it all elsewhere in the house and wouldn't need a POD and the snowstorm pretty much settled that since we couldn't give up driveway space and park on the street and I *just* managed to get everything cleared out. The kids and my wife will stay at my SIL's for at least Thursday night, and the dog will be at a kennel tomorrow so I'll be staying in the basement tomorrow night (garage access to kitchen to basement without stepping foot in the affected portion of the house) with no one else in the house. Extra incentive to go to the gym Friday morning so I can take a shower.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Outdoor clotheslines were awesome except when a bird shit on your clean clothes.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its good when they try to install your washer but can't because the valves are corroded so you have to get a plumber and then the main shutoff is also corroded.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Is there an official Swamp stance on smart thermostats?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:Is there an official Swamp stance on smart thermostats?
I don't have one yet, but will likely move to them at some point. Coworker has it and loves it.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pretty much essential out here. Saves me easily a few hundred bucks over the course of the summer.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

A_B wrote:
I don't have one yet, but will likely move to them at some point. Coworker has it and loves it.
I had one as part of an initiative from the power company and then when I got a new AC unit my heating/cooling guys took it out. So... I liked it when I had it, but I also keep my house cold in the winter and hot in the summer because I live alone and I am cheap.

ETA: I also think I adjusted my thermostat when I was gone a grand total of like two times, so I probably was not the best test case
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

We have a programmable thermostat. Works great. I don't know what is the big deal about smart thermostats.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote:We have a programmable thermostat. Works great. I don't know what is the big deal about smart thermostats.
Think it depends on a lot of factors really, but especially where you live and your work schedule, how many people live in the house, etc. For example, in NV we can save a boatload of money by having the temp automatically adjust during peak demand times.

When that happens I usually just go to the bar for a couple or three hours until 7 p.m. (my wife works afternoons mostly). So between being able to adjust with my phone if I'm going to be out longer than I thought and that, it's a no-brainer. Like I said in summer months I easily save $50/mo.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Ok, I see the benefit where you live. But I don't even own an air conditioner (only pine for one about a week per year), and run the heater less than half of the year
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Mine is programmable but it isn't as customizable as I'd like. We also have that peak demand thing. You get like 25 bucks a year credit if you sign up.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Random, Magary's article on scariest part of home ownership is pretty spot on:

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/the-ni ... socialflow
God, there are so many. Let’s just go through the top worries in no particular order:

FLOODING. Oh God, flooding. Every time it rains, I shit a brick. When people tell me they’ve had flooding, I react like they’ve lost a child. YOU POOR POOR MAN. Regular home insurance usually doesn’t cover flooding. And even if you get separate flood insurance, it costs a billion dollars and only covers one kind of flooding. Like, if your basement floods because of rain, that’s not covered. If the AntiChrist emerges from his hellburrow and makes it rain blood for 90 days and nights, they’ll only cover 40 percent of it. Flooding is scary as shit.
MOLD. This is related to flooding, since water damage can cause mold, and mold can cause bankruptcy and/or suicide. Everyone knows someone who has had mold. “Oh yeah, we had to rip out the entire basement and then replace it all with cotton balls.” Fuck me. Look at this mold and tell you don’t want to die. Mold is also scary as shit.
HORRIBLE BUG INFESTATION. I fear termites for obvious reasons. But what if giant spiders also get a toehold in my home? Remember when all those brown recluse spiders invaded that one dude’s apartment? FUCK. Just… fuck, man! I’d be so upset. This whole house goes on lockdown if my wife spots a single mouse turd. I can’t even imagine what would happen if we had death spiders crawling all over the joint. Bugs are EXTREMELY scary as shit.
ANY KIND OF PLUMBING PROBLEM. If you have to call the plumber, it’s already too late. You’re going to lose all your money. Now I know why my dad used to get so pissed whenever I clogged the toilet. Big Vinny’s Toilet Snake Emporium is always lying in wait, dying to fuck you over. Plumbing issues? Scary as shit.
EMINENT DOMAIN. Oop, sorry! Turns out a local real estate magnate just inked a sweetheart deal with the county to take over your entire neighborhood in order to build a hybrid residential/commercial development. Ooooh, and it’s gonna have a Harris Teeter! Anyway, here’s 70 percent of your home’s value and a notice of eviction. Big Government: still scary as shit.
FALLING TREES. True story: One day we left our house and, when we returned, there was a 30-foot tree that had fallen across our lawn without warning. On a sunny day. It would have easily killed us if we had been under it, and it’s a miracle that it didn’t cave in the goddamn joint. I fear trees now. Trees are playing the long game, which is scary as shit.
ROOF PROBLEMS. I can’t even see what’s going on up there. There could be three-eyed monsters hanging out by the chimney and I’d be none the wiser. Anyway, roofs are constantly exposed to the elements, which means they are ripe to be fucked at any time by inclement weather, stray Frisbees, and bow-and-arrow attacks. It’s a ticking time bomb. You may as well replace your whole roof now and get it over with. You will be only slightly less scared as shit as a result.
NUCLEAR WAR. Obviously, this would be a global tragedy on unimaginable proportions. But also think of how long it would take to process your claim, if they process it at all! HORRIBLE. Even scarier than death, which is already scary as shit!
HURRICANE/TORNADO/FIRE VORTEX. See above. Scary. Shit.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Fire should be its own, high up section. Fire terrifies me.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A/C went out last night for the third summer straight. Getting fucking sick of this shit, you guys. I assure you 105 with no A/C is no goddamned fun, especially for the elderly dog. Hoping someone can get out here later this morning.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Maybe buy a window AC unit in case of emergencies like this?
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sabo wrote:Maybe buy a window AC unit in case of emergencies like this?
Maybe, except temporarily installing one seems like a pain. Dumb question maybe, but are there models that don't need to be window-mounted these days (or are those just called "fans"?)

It actually wasn't too bad last night, but today could be rough. I made a claim with the home warranty company last night after I realized it went out so I'm hoping they send someone over today yet.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

brian wrote:
Sabo wrote:Maybe buy a window AC unit in case of emergencies like this?
Maybe, except temporarily installing one seems like a pain. Dumb question maybe, but are there models that don't need to be window-mounted these days (or are those just called "fans"?)

It actually wasn't too bad last night, but today could be rough. I made a claim with the home warranty company last night after I realized it went out so I'm hoping they send someone over today yet.
Yes, there are portable AC units, although you'll probably need to empty a water pan on occasion to handle the condensation. That's no different than operating a dehumidifier.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/air-conditi ... cat0907004
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

(1) Use legs and butt to thrust obscenely heavy 1996 unit into window without throwing it through the other side; (2) Close window. Come on man, some things still require just a semblance of manhood.

That said, I am officially overambitious and have started what will ultimately become a sunroom. Destined to be completed in 2022. Step one which I will complete this summer is roof design and post and ceiling joist(?) installation over existing retaining wall/slate seating. Hopefully, I can use as a covered patio until... Step two is the actual building of the roof, for which I will likely cheat and pay to have done correctly and with some modicum of architectural interest. Step three will be framing the walls, doors and installing the screen, which I will do myself but which means things will be just a bit off. Not quite square. Random gaps. Months and years of delay. Step four will be to tear out the screen and install windows and finish and trim the exterior... finished just in time to put to use 5 times before I put the house on the market and move.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

We don't have any windows which open vertically so I wouldn't even know where to begin trying to get one to fit given that. But if worse comes to worse one of these portable units might do the trick. Really just need to set it up in the living room. The rest of the house can fend for itself. Just need a place to get cool for awhile and where the dog can lay.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

HaulCitgo wrote:(1) Use legs and butt to thrust obscenely heavy 1996 unit into window without throwing it through the other side; (2) Close window. Come on man, some things still require just a semblance of manhood.
Directions unclear. Dick stuck in A/C unit.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

They have a lot of ductless units know that can mount right to an interior wall. Not sure how it handles the condensation that sabo mentioned.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

BSF21 wrote:
HaulCitgo wrote:(1) Use legs and butt to thrust obscenely heavy 1996 unit into window without throwing it through the other side; (2) Close window. Come on man, some things still require just a semblance of manhood.
Directions unclear. Dick stuck in A/C unit.
Get a friend to help.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

We'd pretty much only need it for an eventuality like this, so I'd be looking to get out as cheaply and as easily as possible. Portability (even a unit "only" about 40-50 lbs) would also be nice so the link Sabo sent sounds promising. One way or another I should know how long it's going to take for them to get someone out in a couple of hours or so I'd imagine (it's only 8 a.m. here yet), so I can make a plan after that. Complicating things is I have the in-laws staying with us here for one more day also. Might just be cheaper for me to get a hotel room for them for the night.
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

HaulCitgo wrote:That said, I am officially overambitious and have started what will ultimately become a sunroom.
My parents made a room like this. Essentially it's just a roof and some basic framing with these special vinyl/screen windows. Something like http://ezporch.com/
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

[+] spoiler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99TcE5x2KV4
(sorry Kim Wexler, now I'm in love with Nikki Swango)
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Has anyone installed a ceiling fan on a ceiling that doesn't already have a fixture? Just wondering how big of a pain in the ass it would be.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Rush2112 wrote:Has anyone installed a ceiling fan on a ceiling that doesn't already have a fixture? Just wondering how big of a pain in the ass it would be.
I have to imagine this is equal to installing recessed lighting + putting in a new electrical box. With the added difficulty of it falling out of your ceiling on top of you would hurt a whole lot more. Doable but doing if you don't do it well you will be bummed with a wobbly fan.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Electrican here only charged like $200 to install on an unwire ceiling. Probably worth the cost for reasons stated above.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

mister d wrote:Electrican here only charged like $200 to install on an unwire ceiling. Probably worth the cost for reasons stated above.
That's not bad. It's a weird room. Pretty large sized with a relatively high ceiling and they put on small fixture at one end of the room, on the wall.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Any chance you have Chinese drywall? Any other electronics go out on you?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Have spent 45 minutes on hold with warranty company after the first company they contracted with said someone couldn't come out until Tuesday (I was prepared to wait until tomorrow or maybe even Sunday -- fuck this Tuesday bullshit).

First person was obviously a moron who doesn't know what my coverage is and had to ask to speak to a supervisor. A/C is LITERALLY the first item listed. I pay an extra something or other a month for it. How can people this bad at their jobs even get a job to begin with, much less keep one.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Exactly what came to my mind, too, when reading this thread.