2017 NFL Draft

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rush2112
The Dude

Re: 2017 NFL Draft

Post by Rush2112 »

Pruitt wrote:Great move by the Browns, although they now have a very expensive place holder pencilled in as a starter.
I think they are going about it the right way. Building up the rest of the roster and hopefully having players around an FA or drafted QB next year.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The reaction of Browns/tOSU fans on Twitter when they drafted Peppers was hilarious. If Ohio State fans didn't exist, someone would have had to invent them.

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rush2112 wrote:
Pruitt wrote:Great move by the Browns, although they now have a very expensive place holder pencilled in as a starter.
I think they are going about it the right way. Building up the rest of the roster and hopefully having players around an FA or drafted QB next year.
Agree 100%.

After having seen the Browns take a gamble on Manziel - and years earlier, seeing the Bills take Losman in the first round - shows me that you shouldn't gamble a first rounder on a "project."
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

brian wrote:Don't think it's remotely similar to compare Tebow or Troy Smith to Watson seeing as how the latter can throw a football farther than 40 yards.

ETA: And I don't feel the need to beat a dead horse, but each player is his own guy with his own sets of advantages and limitations. My defense of Watson has nothing to do with Clemson winning a national championship and more that he has some unique talents that apparently NFL scouts trip over themselves to dismiss because...?

And that's what I don't understand. I really think he has the ability to be the next Russell Wilson. For a variety of reasons both within and outside of his control he might not get there, but it's not a crazy comp.
A drunk Russell Wilson is more accurate than Watson. He may not throw like Tebow but he has more tebow-esque misses than every other too qb in this draft combined. That's why some scouts dismiss him...because he has serious accuracy issues. I like him, and maybe he can be developed into a star, but they aren't manufacturing reasons to not like him.

Russell Wilson throws bullets across his body right at a wrs chest. I don't think Watson is in his class, but I guess we'll see.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Rush2112 wrote:
I agree with them. Suck again and get a true star prospect next year.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Oh God I hate jabrill peppers. I'm glad Cleveland drafted him.

I hate that the Bengals got John Ross.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Having a team in our division that we can derisively look down upon on is pretty weird, you guys.

Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

brian wrote:The reaction of Browns/tOSU fans on Twitter when they drafted Peppers was hilarious. If Ohio State fans didn't exist, someone would have had to invent them.

I know, right? It's astounding how many Browns fans I've talked to are convinced they would've won a Super Bowl by now if they'd drafted Troy Smith.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I saw a tweet earlier today showed PFF had Kessler ranked higher coming out of college last year than any QB available in the draft this year.

I have no problem with the Browns giving him another year. With the improved offensive line, he shouldn't be running in terror as much as he did last year.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Andy Reid has never drafted a bad black QB in the first round. That has to be worth something.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

That level of cognitive dissonance really exists when your favorite pro team drafts a player from the rival of your favorite college team? That's so damn weird to me.

I grew up liking college football but not a fanatic of a particular team. Wasn't until I lived in the south when I realized that college football is king and your allegiances need to be declared. I adopted Arizona because I lived in Tucson. (Up until that point it was kinda Notre Dame (Catholic leprechauns because Boston)). But like if some Arizona State dude got drafted by the Pats I wouldn't be angry.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Johnnie wrote:That level of cognitive dissonance really exists when your favorite pro team drafts a player from the rival of your favorite college team? That's so damn weird to me.

I grew up liking college football but not a fanatic of a particular team. Wasn't until I lived in the south when I realized that college football is king and your allegiances need to be declared. I adopted Arizona because I lived in Tucson. (Up until that point it was kinda Notre Dame (Catholic leprechauns because Boston)). But like if some Arizona State dude got drafted by the Pats I wouldn't be angry.
Aggies were incredulous that the Texans would consider VY while other Texans/UT fans were pissed we didn't pick VY was the straw that broke the camel's back for me when it came to sports radio.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I suspected the Bears front office was a dumpster fire, but if this is true....Jesus.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafe, don't suppose you have a birthday coming up?

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote:DSafe, don't suppose you have a birthday coming up?

If only the draft was two months earlier.

And the report about the front office is unsurprising. I read somewhere in all the post-first round recaps that Pace didn't get to pick his coach, so taking Trubisky created the possibility to be bad enough this year for Fox to get fired so Pace can hire his own coach.

And don't forget the Packer fan laughing in that Bears' fan reaction clip.

Also, some excerpted Mike Tanier comments on the Trubisky pick...
I hate this pick for a variety of reasons, starting with the fact that the Bears traded several valuable draft picks to move up one spot.

Trubisky threw to a receiver in his own end zone for a safety once...

Trubisky’s mistakes are Geno Smith tendencies...

Grade: D
For reference, I think Tanier's next-lowest grade was when he gave a couple other teams a "C". He also gave the Niners an A+ for their first pick in part because of all the extra picks they got from the Bears.

And, yes, he knows that grading draft picks in stupid. He made fun of the premise yesterday morning on twitter, go so far as to ask what grades everyone should get in advance.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

5 TE's in the first 45 picks has to be some sort of record, no? Everyone wants the next Aaron Hernandez.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

For a league, sport, and team I don't care about, I really wanted Cook to drop to the Bucs.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

OHHHHHHHH-io.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Drafting Mixon (and Ross for that matter) is the quintessential Mike Brown move. Build from the outside in; get enamored with speed/athleticism and throw in a case of needed redemption and everything will be great. Meanwhile, you're OL, DL and LB cores have been decimated.

Although when you're already a league laughingstock what's the risk?
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

It's a terrible o-line draft - they were not fixing that in round one by reaching for one.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

tennbengal wrote:It's a terrible o-line draft - they were not fixing that in round one by reaching for one.
I understand that but considering Ross' size, inconsistency and injury history it's an extremely risky top 10 pick.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Love the Foreman pick by Texans. His story last year is heartbreaking. Lost his newborn son who was born premature the same day he ran all over Tech.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Trubisky’s mistakes are Geno Smith tendencies...

Grade: D
For reference, I think Tanier's next-lowest grade was when he gave a couple other teams a "C". He also gave the Niners an A+ for their first pick in part because of all the extra picks they got from the Bears.

And, yes, he knows that grading draft picks in stupid. He made fun of the premise yesterday morning on twitter, go so far as to ask what grades everyone should get in advance.[/quote]

I still have to post this.
No. 1: Seattle Seahawks

After one of the worst picks in the first round I can ever remember, the Seattle Seahawks didn't draft any positions of need or draft for the future.

Pete Carroll is proving why he didn’t make it in the NFL the first time. Not only was Bruce Irvin a reach at No. 15, the Seahawks proved they were oblivious to their madness by celebrating their selection.

As if the day wasn’t bad enough, Seattle selecting Russell Wilson, a QB that doesn’t fit their offense at all, was by far the worst move of the draft. With the two worst moves of the draft, Seattle is the only team that received an F on draft day.

Grade: F
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

First, LOL JETE!

Next, Tom Brady will probably be fined for this:

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Front offices and scouts just savaging Westbrook. Making him sound like the next Rae Carruth or Aaron Hernandez.

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Yeah thats some serious smack in a professional context. Makes you wonder what they are really talking about. Cant just be the "wife" beating. Teams are perfectly willing to look the other way on Mixon so long as the price is right. But degenerate? Not words often uttered on draft day.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

This is really funny.
Johnnie wrote: Next, Tom Brady will probably be fined for this:
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I don't generally get too wound up in the draft, but I'm excited about two Bronco picks. Getting the first offensive tackle in the draft at their slot is big and hopefully solves their biggest need. Also, getting TE Jake Butt with the first pick in the fifth round will be a steal if he can recover from the ACL he suffered in his bowl game. Denver didn't get much production from tight end last season and McShay said Butt was a possible first rounder before the injury, so this seems like a very worthwhile roll of the dice.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Missed this initially. Excellent.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It's beyond cliche but the third day of the draft is really the best.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

HaulCitgo wrote:Yeah thats some serious smack in a professional context. Makes you wonder what they are really talking about. Cant just be the "wife" beating. Teams are perfectly willing to look the other way on Mixon so long as the price is right. But degenerate? Not words often uttered on draft day.
Westbrook later denied the report, saying: “I don’t think I was necessarily kicked out of a Combine interview," per Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Hell, even I was impressed with Drew Pearson. That was gold.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Johnnie wrote:Missed this initially. Excellent.

I love how masshole it is that you post so much stuff from barstool
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

COsign!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Gunpowder wrote:I still have to post this.
No. 1: Seattle Seahawks

After one of the worst picks in the first round I can ever remember, the Seattle Seahawks didn't draft any positions of need or draft for the future.

Pete Carroll is proving why he didn’t make it in the NFL the first time. Not only was Bruce Irvin a reach at No. 15, the Seahawks proved they were oblivious to their madness by celebrating their selection.

As if the day wasn’t bad enough, Seattle selecting Russell Wilson, a QB that doesn’t fit their offense at all, was by far the worst move of the draft. With the two worst moves of the draft, Seattle is the only team that received an F on draft day.

Grade: F
And you should have posted it, that's great.

I still think Chicago's entire draft was pretty much trash (not just the trade for Trubisky). I should be so lucky that Tanier is that wrong again.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Brontoburglar wrote:

They post funny shit on Twitter and Instagram which makes embedding it here extremely easy.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I think I read somewhere that this draft was super deep. So naturally Belichick takes only 4 dudes.

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Johnnie wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:

They post funny shit on Twitter and Instagram which makes embedding it here extremely easy.
right -- and using them a lot makes it very masshole. that's what I was saying

because the general appeal of barstool - PFT excluded because he's not a barstool creation - outside of New England and the bro population isn't large
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

While I am not a fan of barstool in general, I do find the stuff that Johnnie reposts on here funny. I don't see what the problem is...
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated