Trump Administration Meltdown Thread...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Re: Trump Administration Meltdown Thread...

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote:
Maybe a shutdown to try to fix the mess was in order.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm torn on this. Part of me doesn't feel bad for academy grads who went to school on a free ride having to uphold their end of the bargain upon graduation. But the other part says "Great timing, fuckwads." I'm so used to military bullshit I'm not surprised at this.

The grander scale here is why even have football in the first place? It makes money for the school and starts the negative trend of health care costs later down the road.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Not for nothing, but a bunch more people need to call Trump's mouth Putin's cockholster. All the bullshit Trump says and does and when someone pushes back his troll army comes out of hiding demanding a firing? Retarded.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I love Stephen Colbert.
“I had a few choice insults for the president … I don’t regret that. He, I believe, can take care of himself. I have jokes; he has the launch codes. So, it’s a fair fight.”
His ratings are going up, so he can probably consider himself to be unleashed.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

So this has snuck under the radar a bit, but the House is going to pass the AHCA (a.k.a. Trumpcare) this morning. The bill that will get passed would gut Medicaid and also open the door for employer-provided plans to drastically scale back their coverage. The myth of the "independent" GOP Senator will be put to the test pretty soon. I'm not optimistic at all about McCain, Graham et al., since their main opposition to Trump was that he didn't want to bomb enough countries.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

But it dies in the Senate, right? Or did the filibuster go away forever after Gorsuch?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Johnnie wrote:Not for nothing, but a bunch more people need to call Trump's mouth Putin's cockholster. All the bullshit Trump says and does and when someone pushes back his troll army comes out of hiding demanding a firing? Retarded.
"Trump supporters took to Twitter, calling the insult homophobic."

That's a sentence for the ages right there.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote:But it dies in the Senate, right? Or did the filibuster go away forever after Gorsuch?
I've given up having positive thoughts about things that are still pending, but people seem to think its a House statement more than anything.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I think the Senate filibuster change (i.e. "the nucular option") only applied to ending debate for appointment votes.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Is this space safe enough for me to admit that a big part of me continuing to vote in the near future will be not having a representative in office that I have to call to voice my opinion to all the time? That's how much I hate making calls. Also, for the kids and the nature and whatnot.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

The Affordable Care Act was passed through the Senate through the budget reconciliation process, as a way of getting around the filibuster. As far as I know, the GOP could use the same process here.

My guess is that the House bill will not pass the Senate, at least not in its present form. But if I had to bet, I think the ACA will be repealed and something bad enacted in its place by the end of 2017. Unlike the Democratic Party, the GOP actually fears its base, and I suspect that Republican Senators will start feeling pressure to have the legislative "accomplishment" of repealing the ACA, since it's been such a big party priority for so long.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Can I say I think "their base" is either boogieman, overstated in numbers or both? People like having insurance, even poor racists in Mississippi.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

It will go back to the House after the Senate will make changes, but the fact that the House is going to pass the bill just to save base before recess is shit. They are much more concerned about placating to their base by saying, "Hey look, we passed the bill. Now vote for me in the next election." What they should be saying is "Sorry this bill will fuck most of you over, but at least I will still be lining my pockets and continue to get truly great healthcare because you fucktards are too dumb to understand that we don't give a fuck about any of you."
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The three main points of the executive order, according to a senior White House official, will declare "that it is the policy of the administration to protect and vigorously promote religious liberty," direct the IRS "to exercise maxim enforcement of discretion to alleviate the burden of the Johnson Amendment," and provide "regulatory relief for religious objectors to Obamacare’s burdensome preventive services mandate."

"I think how the president feels about Johnson amendment is that politicians and unelected bureaucrats shouldn’t have the power to shut up their critics just because they are church leaders or charities," a senior White House official told Fox News.

In addition, sources tell Fox News the executive order will also allow non-profit organizations, hospitals, educational institutions, and businesses to deny certain health coverage for religious reasons.
What a wonderful day this will be for theocracy.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:Can I say I think "their base" is either boogieman, overstated in numbers or both? People like having insurance, even poor racists in Mississippi.
But they don't like feeling like they are paying for shiftless black/brown/illegals to have insurance, especially when it has the name of a Kenyan/Muslim President who destroyed the very fabric of our nation. Republicans have very deliberately demonized the poor and minorities since Nixon, in order to make voters angry about people abusing the system and stealing their tax dollars through entitlement fraud or milking the system. They would rather not have a safety net for themselves or "deserving" people to avoid being cheated by a Cadillac driving welfare Queen.

I started to say this in response to someone on Giff's Facebook discussion about Jimmy Kimmel, but stopped myself. The reason Conservatives are pissed at Kimmel is he put a human face on the desired policy of denying insurance to preexisting conditions. It's impossible to watch Kimmel's monologue and say, "well, if you were on Obamacare, I'd want to make sure your baby could never get health coverage his entire life because he was born with a health condition." Like someone said in Giff's FB thread, it shouldn't be "partisan politics" for Kimmel to say he doesn't want another baby in the same situation to die because his parents can't afford insurance. This is just like the discussion we had about the Trump voters who strongly support deporting illegal aliens, but are furious when their husband or diner owner gets deported. The policies are much more difficult to support when you put a human face on the negative consequences.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I kinda liked, either here or twitter, where someone wrote "the ultimate cucks are the poor and middle class people who continuously vote for the republican brand of capitalism". It was like half tongue in cheek, half perfect appropriation of their #1 insult.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

216-212 for the Yeas. There is now a "Hey, Hey-y-y, goodbye" chant in the House of Representatives and I can't figure out who or why but what a day for this smoldering shitpile

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Ryan wrote:216-212 for the Yeas. There is now a "Hey, Hey-y-y, goodbye" chant in the House of Representatives and I can't figure out who or why but what a day for this smoldering shitpile
That chant was from House Democrats! Why they would celebrate a successful vote to repeal Obama's signature policy achievement is beyond me. What an utterly useless party. We really are going to get 8 years of Trump.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Joe K wrote:
Ryan wrote:216-212 for the Yeas. There is now a "Hey, Hey-y-y, goodbye" chant in the House of Representatives and I can't figure out who or why but what a day for this smoldering shitpile
That chant was from House Democrats! Why they would celebrate a successful vote to repeal Obama's signature policy achievement is beyond me. What an utterly useless party. We really are going to get 8 years of Drumpf.
I'm just reading that the GOP did it back in 1993 after some vote that they were convinced would drive the Dems from office, so this was some sort of retaliatory callback. Sick burn (not covered) (but they're exempt).

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

House Dems ...

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Ryan wrote:
Joe K wrote:
That chant was from House Democrats! Why they would celebrate a successful vote to repeal Obama's signature policy achievement is beyond me. What an utterly useless party. We really are going to get 8 years of Drumpf.
I'm just reading that the GOP did it back in 1993 after some vote that they were convinced would drive the Dems from office, so this was some sort of retaliatory callback. Sick burn (not covered) (but they're exempt).
Even if Democrats think that passing this bill will hurt Republicans' reelection chances, why celebrate something that will cause hardship for millions of Americans? Isn't the point of politics to help people and not just to try to win elections?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Are you asking if present-day Dems have ideology that takes precedence over their own electoral survival?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I would assume it is in part because they think the Senate will spike this. Hope they are right. I want to vomit over all of it.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Joe K wrote:
Ryan wrote:
Joe K wrote:
Even if Democrats think that passing this bill will hurt Republicans' reelection chances, why celebrate something that will cause hardship for millions of Americans? Isn't the point of politics to help people and not just to try to win elections?
What do you call 435 talking assholes?

No wonder everyone hates theses people. Were they just being like Trump and pretending that a cataclysmic defeat was a victory? These idiots have their health care, maybe - as Joe says - they should pretend to give a shit about what just happened.

Dems "Troll" Republicans on House Floor
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Actually, that probably did hurt the GOPs feelings because they're way more into Gary Glitter

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

It doesn't matter, its giving yourself a terrible fucking look on a day where the House Rs should have had it all to themselves. Gloating over this vote, whether or not their underlying belief is it will never be actualized, is garbage. Because their worst case is they still have today's insurance, not the vote's insurance. They're fucking garbage and need to be wiped out almost as bad as the Rs.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Christ, you guys need a third party to help keep these idiots in line.

I can just imagine the bile in your throats - this doesn't impact me directly, but I am angry enough to hit something.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote:It doesn't matter, its giving yourself a terrible fucking look on a day where the House Rs should have had it all to themselves. Gloating over this vote, whether or not their underlying belief is it will never be actualized, is garbage. Because their worst case is they still have today's insurance, not the vote's insurance. They're fucking garbage and need to be wiped out almost as bad as the Rs.
Yeah, a lot of these fuckers need to be primaried. I think this 2018 is going to be the most fascinating in a long time because you're probably going to see more sitting reps lose in primaries (on both sides) than in any recent election. Then that's not even including the actual election which will be interesting.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Unbelievable what fucking morons these guys are. Can't even get football analogies right.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Greatest Living American™ speaks the truth.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Barely Modulated Outrage From a WaPo Columnist

Here's the most hateful part -
We might focus on the fact that Republicans are rushing to pass it without having held a single hearing on it, without a score from the Congressional Budget Office that would tell us exactly what the effects would be, and before nearly anyone has had a chance to even look at the bill’s actual text — all this despite the fact that they are remaking one-sixth of the American economy and affecting all of our lives (and despite their long and ridiculous claims that the Affordable Care Act was “rammed through” Congress, when in fact it was debated for an entire year and was the subject of dozens of hearings and endless public discussion). We might talk about how every major stakeholder group — the American Medical Association, the American Hospital Association, the AARP, the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network, the American Heart Association, and on and on — all oppose the bill.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Can't wait for more "I voted Trump/Republican and can't believe they're taking away my health care" articles.

Reap, motherfuckers.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DSafetyGuy wrote:Can't wait for more "I voted Trump/Republican and can't believe they're taking away my health care" articles.

Reap, motherfuckers.
"I voted for them to take away the disastrous Obamacare, I didn't think they would take away my ACA coverage, now what am I going to do?"
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Kind of important to remember this point:

For the life of me I'm not sure why vulnerable Republicans like Issa, Amash, et al ended up behind this unless they were worried about Trump's wrath or being primaried in 2018 or both. Because as it is, a lot of them voted away their jobs anyway for almost no benefit since there's no way this passes the Senate at least not without some serious revisions. (Portman (R-OH) and Heller (R-NV) have already said they won't vote for it.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote:Kind of important to remember this point:

For the life of me I'm not sure why vulnerable Republicans like Issa, Amash, et al ended up behind this unless they were worried about Trump's wrath or being primaried in 2018 or both. Because as it is, a lot of them voted away their jobs anyway for almost no benefit since there's no way this passes the Senate at least not without some serious revisions. (Portman (R-OH) and Heller (R-NV) have already said they won't vote for it.
I think this was all for show, so Trump and the Republicans in the House can claim a major victory, even if it accomplishes nothing. Their base is convinced Obamacare is evil, and they looked horrible talking about repeal for 6 years, controlling both Houses and the WH, and failing to pass a replacement bill. Trump campaigned on repealing Obamacare on Day One, and failed miserably. My guess, they cobbled together whatever they could to get the votes, knowing it doesn't matter what the Bill would actually do, because it isn't going through the Senate.

I think Trump's ego needed this after his 100 Days victory tour didn't get the press he hoped for, and failing to repeal Obamacare was the biggest black mark. Now he can brag about his tremendous leadership and negotiation skills, he can make a big show in the Rose Garden of the GOP reps sucking his dick between sips of Bud Light, and if the Senate shoots it down, they can still claim victory and blame the Senate.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

My Rep is one of the 20 Republicans who voted against the Bill. He wasted no time sending out this e-mail:

Just moments ago, the U.S. House of Representatives passed the American Health Care Act by a vote of 217 to 213. I voted against the legislation.

Like many of my colleagues I ran in support of a repealing Obamacare and replacing it with a plan that lowers premiums, drives down health-care costs, encourages competition and gives every American access to quality, affordable health insurance.

I campaigned on a plan that protects those with pre-existing conditions and provides a stable transition for those forced into Obamacare at no fault of their own.

And I ran on the promise of not simply repealing Obamacare and returning to the status quo but offering something better. The House-passed bill doesn’t achieve these goals.

Important cost-saving provisions like purchase of policies across state lines, small business pooling and medical malpractice reform are absent from today’s legislation. And it has yet to be analyzed for cost and effects by the Congressional Budget Office.

The bill faces substantial changes in the U.S. Senate, further guaranteeing that the final product will have to be a compromise between the two chambers.

I remain committed to repealing and replacing Obamacare and will work with my colleagues across the Capitol to pass a better bill, one that lowers costs, improves access and increases quality of life for hard working New Jersey families.

Thank you for taking the time to read this important legislation update. You can CLICK HERE to send me an e-mail with your thoughts and views or visit my Facebook page to post your opinion about the House-passed health care vote. I hope to hear from you.

Best personal wishes,
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Like, even after the election, you're still all 100% "this won't get through the Senate by some means"?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote:Like, even after the election, you're still all 100% "this won't get through the Senate by some means"?
Not sure who this is directed at, but I think a somewhat neutered version of this can absolutely pass the Senate. But it's going to take months and a lot of negotiations because that's a much tighter needle that needs to be threaded there.