2017 NBA Playoffs Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Ryan
The Dude

Re: 2017 NBA Playoffs Thread

Post by Ryan »

Joe K wrote:
* The premise of the show was a Celtics reunion (minus Ray Allen due to the continued bad blood), and they had Garnett, Pierce, Rondo, Perkins and Davis on. The whole discussion was completely off-the-cuff, wide ranging, and very interesting.
Boston Sports Internet World™ is Zaprudering the hell out of it. It's shutting down work productivity.

And I say this with all due sensitivity towards actual mental patients, but KG is a mental patient. Good for TNT for just putting him on camera and letting him go.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Also, Rondo kind of stayed out of everything since he's still playing, but it was pretty refreshing to hear 4 guys either just barely out of the league or still trying to hang on saying things like the Raptors just need to blow it up, the Magic will always suck, SVG isn't a winning coach...

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Ryan wrote:
Joe K wrote:
* The premise of the show was a Celtics reunion (minus Ray Allen due to the continued bad blood), and they had Garnett, Pierce, Rondo, Perkins and Davis on. The whole discussion was completely off-the-cuff, wide ranging, and very interesting.
Boston Sports Internet World™ is Zaprudering the hell out of it. It's shutting down work productivity.

And I say this with all due sensitivity towards actual mental patients, but KG is a mental patient. Good for TNT for just putting him on camera and letting him go.
One of the best stories they told last night about the 2007-08 season was about how after an early season Celtics home game, the Celtics team doctor grabbed a plate of lasagna from the dinner spread. KG then walked up to him and smashed the plate out of his hand and onto the floor, to make it clear that players eat first.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

It sucks to watch two good and interesting teams look this out of gas and incapable of doing anything going forward even if they happen to win this series.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Great sequence after I typed that though
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Joe K wrote:
Ryan wrote:
Joe K wrote:

One of the best stories they told last night about the 2007-08 season was about how after an early season Celtics home game, the Celtics team doctor grabbed a plate of lasagna from the dinner spread. KG then walked up to him and smashed the plate out of his hand and onto the floor, to make it clear that players eat first.

That's not a good story. That's a prick story. Leave that intensity on the court, dickhead.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

A_B wrote:
Joe K wrote:
Ryan wrote:
Joe K wrote:

That's not a good story. That's a prick story. Leave that intensity on the court, dickhead.
Yeah, what a complete asshole.
Totally Kafkaesque
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

It's an interesting story that makes KG sound like an asshole.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

rass wrote:It's an interesting story that makes KG sound like an asshole.
Yeah, I wasn't saying that KG is a model for professional behavior or anything. I just thought that anecdote illustrated Ryan's point that he's an absolute crazy person. Just like the stories about Jordan assaulting teammates in practice are told to demonstrate his personality.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Joe K wrote:* The premise of the show was a Celtics reunion (minus Ray Allen due to the continued bad blood), and they had Garnett, Pierce, Rondo, Perkins and Davis on. The whole discussion was completely off-the-cuff, wide ranging, and very interesting.
I've been reading about the bad blood they have for Ray Allen. My god, they sound like a clique of seventh-grade girls when they're talking about Allen. Most of those guys played for multiple teams. They understand how it goes. They are grown men and pro sports is a business, but they sound like hurt immature children.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Maybe a child's feelings are the true window into the soul.

Just kidding, they're drama queens.

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, every one of those guys played for other teams after the Celtics. And Garnett joined the Celtics specifically so he could get a ring.
Totally Kafkaesque
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Shirley wrote:Yeah, every one of those guys played for other teams after the Celtics. And Garnett joined the Celtics specifically so he could get a ring.
All trades though

Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Neither James Harden nor Giff are having good nights.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Didn't expect houston to lay down. Just flipped on and 32. Yikes.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Sabo wrote:Neither James Harden nor Giff are having good nights.
It was over quickly and the Astros have the best record in the league. I'm doing alright.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

So that was a pretty good nut punch to the Harden for MVP talkers (I know voting is already in and based on regular season, but, good lord, forever and ever now Harden for MVP-stans will have that shit-show thrown back in their face).
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

tennbengal wrote:So that was a pretty good nut punch to the Harden for MVP talkers (I know voting is already in and based on regular season, but, good lord, forever and ever now Harden for MVP-stans will have that shit-show thrown back in their face).
Yeah, but the other leading candidate didn't exactly go out with a blaze of glory. Westbrook was absolutely brutal down the stretch in a number of games in the OKC-Houston series. The problem with regular season awards is that although everyone knows that LeBron is the best player in the NBA, the Cavs were only engaged for half the season. Westbrook and Harden went all out for the entire season and so are probably the most deserving candidates, even though you'd take playoff LeBron and playoff Kawhi over either of those guys.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

tennbengal wrote:So that was a pretty good nut punch to the Harden for MVP talkers (I know voting is already in and based on regular season, but, good lord, forever and ever now Harden for MVP-stans will have that shit-show thrown back in their face).
I was actually thinking the opposite. He didn't play and the team lost by 39 to a Leonard and Parker-less Spurs. If the argument is Westbrook's supporting cast is worse (which wasn't the argument before the season started), then this should help Harden's case.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Well, the Spurs polishing off the Rockets last night with Kawhi should invalidate all of his MVP votes, too, as they didn't need him to finish the series in such dominating fashion.

This is all dumb because it small sample sizes a debate where there are many deserving winners.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I have nothing worthwhile to add to NBA talk ever. That being said:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Whether worth adding or not, you like Fultz or Ball for the Cs? Realize the cart is ahead of the horse but so long as they dont let Pitino back in the state, I refuse to consider a scenario where they dont get a top two pick.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Fultz a trillion times

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Ryan wrote:Fultz a trillion times
Agreed. I don't care about Big Baller Brand, but Ball's funky shot release would worry me a bit. The way the NBA has evolved, it's really hard to contend for a title without guards who are good 3-point shooters. Ball's shot is so funky that his shooting could be a liability at the NBA level. (I think Fox is slightly overrated as a prospect for this same reason.) Fultz seems to have no weaknesses in his game.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Fultz due to Ball's release on his shot and almost complete lack of defense.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Yea, Fultz. For the reasons already mentioned. Plus, I can't stand the Ball family.

I mean, if some team out there wants to overreach and make a godfather offer for one of the top four picks, so be it. But if all else fails, Fultz.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

It doesn't say much for the NBA regular season that the Cavs can fuck around for 3 months (they were 30-11 in the first half and 21-20 in the second half), and then just toy with 51+ win teams in back-to-back playoff series. But good lord, playoff LeBron is something to behold. If they win the Finals this year, I think I'll be ready to call him the best player ever. As someone who had my childhood ruined by Michael Jordan on a regular basis in the 1990s, I never thought I'd say that about anyone else.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

THis is nuts.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Is there a Cleveland version of barstool? I'd like to post a tweet.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

A_B wrote:Is there a Cleveland version of barstool? I'd like to post a tweet.
God, I fucking hope not.

Try ESPN Cleveland 850.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This about sums it up:

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Here's Bill Simmons questioning whether LeBron would have enough gas for the postseason:

Hope everyone who roots for the Raptors and Celtics enjoyed that moment of optimism!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I know it's gonna sound like bad timing.... but Thomas has cost himself some money. Take fultz. Let IT walk.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I'd post more but I gotta get warmed up. Lebron says I'm in for last two minutes.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

A_B wrote:I know it's gonna sound like bad timing.... but Thomas has cost himself some money. Take fultz. Let IT walk.
It's gotta be hard for all the teams in the East to make personnel decisions when they all have no chance against the Cavs unless LeBron slows down. I thought he was showing signs of decline during his first season back in Cleveland but obviously that was premature. His decision to pace himself in the regular season makes me think he could still be the league's best postseason player through at least age 35. To make things worse for the rest of the league, the Warriors also have a wide open window -- although I think they'll need to let Iguodala walk once Curry gets his supermax deal.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Eh. Iguodala is on his last legs. They won't look at him as a lebron stopper(not that he ever was) but he is a short timer for certain. I think we are in for an excellent finals.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bill Simmons' chant was obviously effective.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

i think the celts cant take ball. hes already pushing to be a laker and he seems like the type of piece of shit that will elway or eli his way into LA....he will disrupt the roster/cry/holdout if boston takes him...and that fucked up shot motion aint worth the risk. let the lakers deal with him
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The posts regarding last night just confirm that cutting Simmons out of my life was a solid decision.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

DSafetyGuy wrote:The posts regarding last night just confirm that cutting Simmons out of my life was a solid decision.
This is the chant that Brian was referring to:

I don't follow Simmons on Twitter anymore, so I mainly have seen his take on this series when Cavs fan sites are mocking him. But I went back and read his timeline after the game and it's pretty funny. It went from "Come on, Massholes, let's get in LeBron's head!" to "here's a cool Markelle Fultz highlight video" pretty quickly.