Roger Moore

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Roger Moore

Post by bfj »

Yup He was the Bond I grew up watching.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Roger Moore

Post by A_B »

Definitely the one i remember the most. So much so that when I went on a kick reading a bunch of the novels in high school, his face was the Bond character I envisioned in my mind.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, I've always thought of him as the real James Bond. I like Connery's Bond, but I always thought the character needed the touch of silliness that Moore brought. I'm sure that's largely because he was Bond when I was a kid.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Shirley wrote:Yeah, I've always thought of him as the real James Bond. I like Connery's Bond, but I always thought the character needed the touch of silliness that Moore brought. I'm sure that's largely because he was Bond when I was a kid.
I'm gonna disagree. Not to speak ill of the dead. Moore had the suave and cool part down and was great at that. But, to me he was never convincing in the tough-guy, athletic aspect of the Bond role. (For me, that was Pierce Brosnan's problem, too.) Sean Connery and Daniel Craig are much better at the "license to kill" aspect of a secret agent hard man.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

It's been all over the tweets, but in case you have not seen it...

“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Oh shit, the dude Amy Winehouse mentioned in a song died?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
That French Guy
Maude Lebowski

Post by That French Guy »

sancarlos wrote:
Shirley wrote:Yeah, I've always thought of him as the real James Bond. I like Connery's Bond, but I always thought the character needed the touch of silliness that Moore brought. I'm sure that's largely because he was Bond when I was a kid.
I'm gonna disagree. Not to speak ill of the dead. Moore had the suave and cool part down and was great at that. But, to me he was never convincing in the tough-guy, athletic aspect of the Bond role. (For me, that was Pierce Brosnan's problem, too.) Sean Connery and Daniel Craig are much better at the "license to kill" aspect of a secret agent hard man.
Seconded. His movies went a bit too much on the funny wink wink side, with bad one liners that make me cringe while rewatching them 30 years later. Sadly, first thing that goes to my mind while thinking of Moore's bond is when he s dressed as a clown in Octopussy.
Still, RIP
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Sure, he could go a bit too far, but nobody ever has been better at the post-fight tie-straightening and cocky smirk. I loved that. Quintessential Bond.
Totally Kafkaesque