Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Temporary Television

Post by sancarlos »

tennbengal wrote:Also, Better Call Saul continues to be awesome.
I love Mike's storyline right now.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Hope you all had a blessed Cinco de Cuatro.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I'll say it. Peet looks kinda broken. And I used to be a huge fan. Brockmire pretty funny though.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

A_B wrote:I'll say it. Peet looks kinda broken. And I used to be a huge fan. Brockmire pretty funny though.

Well. Episode two makes me rethink.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

A_B wrote:
A_B wrote:I'll say it. Peet looks kinda broken. And I used to be a huge fan. Brockmire pretty funny though.

Which part?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Giff wrote:
A_B wrote:

Which part?
I've got a guess.

Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

She is 45, had 3 kids.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

BSF21 wrote:
Giff wrote:
A_B wrote:

Which part?
I've got a guess.

That would be it.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Arrested Development Season Five is officially a go.

This fucking quote from Mitchell Hurwitz:
In talks with Netflix, we all felt that that stories about a narcissistic, erratically behaving family in the building business — and their desperate abuses of power — are really underrepresented on TV these days
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

So I saw something online this morning....they are making a "Big Bang Theory" prequel?
In picking up the comedy to series, CBS has also released Young Sheldon's formal logline, filled out its cast and set the pilot director. The project will revolve around a 9-year-old Sheldon Cooper (Armitage) as he lives with his family in East Texas and attends high school. The concept was originally described as Malcolm in the Middle with a young Sheldon. Lance Barber, Raegan Revord and Montana Jordan have also joined the cast. Details on their roles are being kept under wraps, though sources tell THR that Revord will play a young version of Sheldon's twin sister Missy; Barber will play George, Sheldon and Missy's father and Mary's husband; and Jordan will play George Jr., Sheldon's older brother.
So...officially out of ideas?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DaveInSeattle wrote:So I saw something online this morning....they are making a "Big Bang Theory" prequel?
In picking up the comedy to series, CBS has also released Young Sheldon's formal logline, filled out its cast and set the pilot director. The project will revolve around a 9-year-old Sheldon Cooper (Armitage) as he lives with his family in East Texas and attends high school. The concept was originally described as Malcolm in the Middle with a young Sheldon. Lance Barber, Raegan Revord and Montana Jordan have also joined the cast. Details on their roles are being kept under wraps, though sources tell THR that Revord will play a young version of Sheldon's twin sister Missy; Barber will play George, Sheldon and Missy's father and Mary's husband; and Jordan will play George Jr., Sheldon's older brother.
So...officially out of ideas?
Doogie Howser in East Texas.

btw, speaking of officially out of ideas, I saw in the paper today that they are re-booting Roseanne with all the original cast. I would've thought that John Goodman had had enough of being around Roseanne Barr.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Dan should be dead though
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Anybody else watch the debut episode of American Epic on PBS? The series is about the history of American popular music, executive produced by Jack White, T-Bone Burnett and Robert Redford. The first episode focused on The Carter Family and on the birth of Memphis blues. I enjoyed it.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

sancarlos wrote:Anybody else watch the debut episode of American Epic on PBS? The series is about the history of American popular music, executive produced by Jack White, T-Bone Burnett and Robert Redford. The first episode focused on The Carter Family and on the birth of Memphis blues. I enjoyed it.
Watched the performance the Alabama Shakes did with '20s equipment on the YouTubes. Fantastic.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Ryan wrote:Dan should be dead though
that was one of my issues...another being that both versions of becky have signed on
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That one scene is last week's Fargo was one of the most humiliating things I've seen on camera on a TV show.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Giff wrote:That one scene is last week's Fargo was one of the most humiliating things I've seen on camera on a TV show.
The first season the BillyBob character did the take a shit in the middle of the conversation diss (aka the Lyndon Johnson). But, yeah.

Twin Peaks? Nothing? geez, you guys. "My log has a message for you." Lynch at the top of his game.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Would I be completely lost watching Twin Peaks if I've never watched the previous series/movie? We got Showtime so the wife can watch it, and I'd like to give it a shot.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Well, I watched the original, the movie, rewatched them recently in anticipation of the new series. I am completely lost; and that is kinda the point. Lynch loves to fuck with us, intentionally making things unclear, and later explaining only some of it all.

But you only need a few minutes of explanation to get up to speed the major plot points. If you like Lynch movies, with just a little background on Agent Cooper, 'Bob', a few other characters and the Black Lodge, it is worth a shot.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I watched the entire season of Legion and I can only tell you my pants fit uncomfortably because of Syd.
That French Guy
Maude Lebowski

Post by That French Guy »

Fargo is still one of my favorite shows, but I m starting to feel they push the "every character, no matter how minor, has to have excentric / weirdo behaviour" decision à bit too far.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Pruitt wrote:Just did the online Jeopardy test.

Pretty happy with how it went.

Now for twelve months of nail biting.
Just did it again.

Looks like I may have got 43/50. Probably not enough to open the door to fame and fortune.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

What the hell? They usually do the test later in the year. I just last month dropped out of the contestant pool, (for 18 months after the audition you are in the pool. I was not called.) so I am eligible to test again.

I was selected for an audition with only a 38/50. I was surprised, 43/50 may be enough for you. (Especially as a Canuck.) Best of luck.

eta: just did tonights test, for practice, ripped off a 41.
[+] spoiler
bitching about the simple ones I missed. Palette. and fucking glowworm.
test is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dblCm-Ms_Uo

answers here: https://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4 ... 20#p248616

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Looked at the answers and I got 42/50.

My nightmare is that I will be selected for the show and the categories will include The Civil War, Physics and European Monarchs.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

32. I hope tonight/tomorrow when I take it is more to my liking.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I was pretty lucky with the categories and the science questions were actually things I knew. (Which is rare)
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I've been saying for years that someone needs to make a TV show about a dystopian future where today's Conservatives get their wish and are able to replace the Constitution with the Bible. I never read the book, but holy shit The Handmaid's Tale is great TV. Dark as fuck but awesome dark. Especially of interest because if we don't wake the fuck up...it could really happen.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

howard wrote:What the hell? They usually do the test later in the year. I just last month dropped out of the contestant pool, (for 18 months after the audition you are in the pool. I was not called.) so I am eligible to test again.

I was selected for an audition with only a 38/50. I was surprised, 43/50 may be enough for you. (Especially as a Canuck.) Best of luck.

eta: just did tonights test, for practice, ripped off a 41.
[+] spoiler
bitching about the simple ones I missed. Palette. and fucking glowworm.
test is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dblCm-Ms_Uo

answers here: https://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4 ... 20#p248616
I only got 27. There were several that I knew, but just brain froze and couldn't think of the word(s).
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Jerloma wrote:I've been saying for years that someone needs to make a TV show about a dystopian future where today's Conservatives get their wish and are able to replace the Constitution with the Bible. I never read the book, but holy shit The Handmaid's Tale is great TV. Dark as fuck but awesome dark. Especially of interest because if we don't wake the fuck up...it could really happen.
Gunna have to give this a shot. 2nd person to recommend it this week. I'll add it to the queue with everything else.

Unrelated, anyone here watching American Gods? It's trippy, but pretty cool.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Johnnie wrote:
Jerloma wrote:I've been saying for years that someone needs to make a TV show about a dystopian future where today's Conservatives get their wish and are able to replace the Constitution with the Bible. I never read the book, but holy shit The Handmaid's Tale is great TV. Dark as fuck but awesome dark. Especially of interest because if we don't wake the fuck up...it could really happen.
Gunna have to give this a shot. 2nd person to recommend it this week. I'll add it to the queue with everything else.

Unrelated, anyone here watching American Gods? It's trippy, but pretty cool.
Read (OK, listened) to the book, but it's fun seeing how they've adapted it to the screen. Also it makes we wanna go back and watch Sucker Punch again for Miss Browning.

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

So, Leftovers ended. And the entire run remains one of my favorite shows ever. Just so damn good.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote:So, Leftovers ended. And the entire run remains one of my favorite shows ever. Just so damn good.

Sold! I was so enticed by the concept of the show and the trailers look so good, but several people told me they hated the last couple episodes of the first season and talked me out of watching. Back in the queue.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Don't see how Carrie Coon doesn't win an Emmy for Best Actress. That last episode...maybe the best finale for any show ever.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Was that like a Cersei body double thing or is that really her?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Also, nobody is remotely disappointed that we never really found out what happened here?
[+] spoiler
Maybe, I'm wrong. Are we definitively calling it rapture?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jerloma wrote:Also, nobody is remotely disappointed that we never really found out what happened here?
[+] spoiler
No body double. (At least according to her interview with Sepinwall).

And I'm not disappointed. The way they presented it is entirely consistent with a show that is mostly about relationships and faith. Kind of brilliant how they played it out actually.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Jerloma wrote:Also, nobody is remotely disappointed that we never really found out what happened here?
[+] spoiler
Not me. I am content, like the theme song for season 2, to let the mystery be. Maybe she did crossover, probably she didn't. But whether she did or not doesn't bother me.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

brian wrote:Don't see how Carrie Coon doesn't win an Emmy for Best Actress. That last episode...maybe the best finale for any show ever.
She's amazing. And I am still stunned that Leftovers was really her first TV/film work. All stage prior to that. The interview with Sepinwall and her was indeed a great read.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

They pulled that out again for the finale. Love that song.
tennbengal wrote:
brian wrote:Don't see how Carrie Coon doesn't win an Emmy for Best Actress. That last episode...maybe the best finale for any show ever.
She's amazing. And I am still stunned that Leftovers was really her first TV/film work. All stage prior to that. The interview with Sepinwall and her was indeed a great read.
She's on Fargo now too.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Yeah, Fargo has been on my hope-to-get-to-it list for awhile now, and the fact that Coon is in season 3 gives me additional incentive to start the series.