Breaking Bad

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Breaking Bad

Post by brian »

Meant to tell yinz that I took the train to St. Louis last weekend and outside of ABQ we passed right by where they filmed the train robbery scene (or I'm at least 98 percent sure it was the same place. I watched that episode again to double-check and I'm almost certain of it.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Man, the end of that episode still gets me when I think about it.
Totally Kafkaesque
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Shirley wrote:Man, the end of that episode still gets me when I think about it.
*Bang* /Black
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Giff wrote:I've watched 34 episodes of this show since last Monday. The last episode I watched was Jessie and Walt's fight in Jessie's casa. I hate that this show is ever ending.
New to the show or are you rewatching?
Totally Kafkaesque
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

AMC is running the entire series in batches of five episodes every Friday starting at midnight (technically 12:00am Saturday, but you know what I mean) prior to the new season starting. Starts this week.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

DSafetyGuy wrote:AMC is running the entire series in batches of five episodes every Friday starting at midnight (technically 12:00am Saturday, but you know what I mean) prior to the new season starting. Starts this week.
That will include the first 5 episodes of season 5?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Jerloma wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:AMC is running the entire series in batches of five episodes every Friday starting at midnight (technically 12:00am Saturday, but you know what I mean) prior to the new season starting. Starts this week.
That will include the first 5 episodes of season 5?
No idea, but they are starting from the first episode of the show and going from there (and for previous seasons, they have done marathons ending with the most recent episode). 54 episodes in the can and eight weeks before the premiere. Maybe the last one just runs in a full marathon to the premiere. AMC's website doesn't have listings more than four weeks down the road.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Actually, 8 episodes of season 5.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Shirley wrote:
Giff wrote:I've watched 34 episodes of this show since last Monday. The last episode I watched was Jessie and Walt's fight in Jessie's casa. I hate that this show is ever ending.
New to the show or are you rewatching?
New and reading this thread with squinted eyes.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Shrew
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Shrew »

Just caught up. Walt is the ultimate anti-hero. I'm thinking that he inadvertently causes Hank's death (or another key figure, maybe Walt jr.) and the series ends with him on top of the dog pile but having to wrestle with his conscience. He's proven that he can beat everyone else. Just not himself.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

For anyone still waiting for S5, on Sunday 8/11, AMC is playing episodes 1-8 form 12:30-9:00 consecutively, and the new episode 9 at 9 pm. Then a new one every week thereafter.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Shrew wrote:Just caught up. Walt is the ultimate anti-hero. I'm thinking that he inadvertently causes Hank's death (or another key figure, maybe Walt jr.) and the series ends with him on top of the dog pile but having to wrestle with his conscience. He's proven that he can beat everyone else. Just not himself.
Every time I make a prediction, it turns out wrong.

However, I figure the cancer comes back and gives him a dilemma - in the last few months of his life, exactly how does he want to live? Like a drug king or like the decent man he once was.

Of course, there are many people who will not let him live that way - top of the list will (I think) be Hank who was almost killed because of Walt.

Should be awesome.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Jerloma wrote:For anyone still waiting for S5, on Sunday 8/11, AMC is playing episodes 1-8 form 12:30-9:00 consecutively, and the new episode 9 at 9 pm. Then a new one every week thereafter.
AMC has been running 5 or 6 episodes in a row late Fri night/early Sat morning for the last couple of weeks. We've never watched, but have been using that to try and catch up from the beginning.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

rass wrote:
Jerloma wrote:For anyone still waiting for S5, on Sunday 8/11, AMC is playing episodes 1-8 form 12:30-9:00 consecutively, and the new episode 9 at 9 pm. Then a new one every week thereafter.
AMC has been running 5 or 6 episodes in a row late Fri night/early Sat morning for the last couple of weeks. We've never watched, but have been using that to try and catch up from the beginning.
Well seasons 1-4 are on Netflix. Do you not have Netflix? Get Netflix.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Pruitt wrote:
Shrew wrote:Just caught up. Walt is the ultimate anti-hero. I'm thinking that he inadvertently causes Hank's death (or another key figure, maybe Walt jr.) and the series ends with him on top of the dog pile but having to wrestle with his conscience. He's proven that he can beat everyone else. Just not himself.
Every time I make a prediction, it turns out wrong.

However, I figure the cancer comes back and gives him a dilemma - in the last few months of his life, exactly how does he want to live? Like a drug king or like the decent man he once was.

Of course, there are many people who will not let him live that way - top of the list will (I think) be Hank who was almost killed because of Walt.

Should be awesome.
Oh, I like that. That would be a nice way to really make Walt make tough decisions. Going that route, maybe that big .50 caliber machine gun is to fight against drug cartels as he tries to get out. Perhaps the returned hair is a sign that he's accepted his fate (from the cancer) and isn't fighting it again.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Forgot to share the final poster when it came out a little while ago:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The more I read about him, the more I like Cranston.
http://www.businessinsider.com/bryan-cr ... ask-2013-7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That mask is amazing.

I was walking around downtown yesterday and saw a guy wearing a Heisenberg shirt. "Nice shirt" I said and his eyes widened and he practically yelled "August 11th!"

Since I only started watching in January and binge watched 5 seasons in four months, it's going to be hard to watch the show one episode at a time.

Just can't wait to see Hank leave that washroom.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Well that's just fucking genius.

Here's a write up about Cranston from this month's GQ:
http://www.gq.com/entertainment/celebri ... d-season-6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I am so geeked up for this show's return. When I got back from Europe the other day, by DVR was full of episodes that AMC has been running. I've rewatched a few and damn is this show good.

Oh, and this is pure awesomeness:

Totally Kafkaesque
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

First half of season 5 is now on Netflix by the way. I got two left and I'm caught up.

Holy fuck has Walter lost it.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Great start to the final season. Great. I love that they didn't try to tease us by holding off on the big Walt - Hank showdown. Much better to get that started. And great acting on both sides.

We got some clear steps towards the Swamp predicted storyline of Walt's cancer returning and so he's a dead man. Also, it's clear that he won't be able to get out of the game easily, with that ungrateful bitch coming back to fuck things up for him. I still think the giant gun is for fighting the cartels (or maybe euro thugs). The ricin is more personal - it's either for Jesse or hank (or maybe even Walt himself).
Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Shirley wrote:Great start to the final season. Great. I love that they didn't try to tease us by holding off on the big Walt - Hank showdown. Much better to get that started. And great acting on both sides.

We got some clear steps towards the Swamp predicted storyline of Walt's cancer returning and so he's a dead man. Also, it's clear that he won't be able to get out of the game easily, with that ungrateful bitch coming back to fuck things up for him. I still think the giant gun is for fighting the cartels (or maybe euro thugs). The ricin is more personal - it's either for Jesse or hank (or maybe even Walt himself).
That was a scene that I figured we'd see in episode 4 or 5. Amazing.

I have a theory and a feeling that this epic is going to have a Shakespearian ending - meaning that the floor will be littered with the bodies of most of the main characters.

Although the talk about a series featuring Saul Goodman would indicate that he will survive whatever carnage is to come.
Shrew
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Shrew »

Great episode. Loved the Walt/Hank conflict at the end and I agree getting it out in the open now will make for some good viewing.

One question: When the chick from Madrigal showed up why didn't he just give her some of the millions of unlaunderable money from the storage locker. Ship it to the Czech Republic the same way he did the drugs, tell her she's dead if she contacts him again. She's clearly afraid of him. Solves two problems. Buys him out of the game and gets rid the money millstone around their neck.

She will be a problem in future episodes.

I don't know if a Shakespearean ending is a good comparison. "Reservoir Cats" might be a better comparison. With Jesse going all altruistic and shit maybe Walts pendulum swings the other way and he becomes human again. A lot of allusions have been made that he is a monster. In the words of America's poet laureates, Shaggy 2 Dope and Violent J: "Inertia: How does it work?"
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

One interesting aspect I forgot to mention - his abandoned house and the astonished neighbor. She was clearly shocked and terrified to see him there. I'm thinking now that maybe he faked his own death, probably in some kind of explosion that wouldn't leave an easily identifiable body. Then he ran off to NH while things cooled down, but obviously he still has unfinished business, probably with that nosy Madrigal chick.
Totally Kafkaesque
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Shirley wrote:Then he ran off to NH while things cooled down…
Maybe instead, he used a transporter. Like the time Scottie centered the transporter beam on Chekov's stomach, and removed the blueberry pies out to space. Where they froze. And Spock pondered, "how can this Russian be beating me?"
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

howard wrote:
Shirley wrote:Then he ran off to NH while things cooled down…
Maybe instead, he used a transporter. Like the time Scottie centered the transporter beam on Chekov's stomach, and removed the blueberry pies out to space. Where they froze. And Spock pondered, "how can this Russian be beating me?"
How great was that scene? That was one of the best non-sequitur show conversations that I can remember.
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

By the way, no matter how evil he's gotten, I've never really disliked Walt. He's our guy! All of those murders - he had to do them!

But last night, in his scene with Jesse - he was damn hard to like. I don't know what it was about it. Walt has lied a million times before, but that obvious, bald-faced lie and the way he said "I need you to believe me" just disgusted me.

Of course, he won me back with the final 30 seconds of the episode. "If that's true — if you don't know who I am — then maybe your best course would be to tread lightly." Fuckin' A, what a great line (and delivery).
Totally Kafkaesque
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Great stuff. Phenomenal start. Agree that not holding off on the confrontation was a deft bit of showrunning.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
howard
Karl Hungus

Better Call Saul!

Post by howard »

"I'll send *you* to Belize"
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Another brilliant episode. Huel and the other henchmen making snow angels on the pile of money was perfect. The scene where Marie tries to take the baby was intense. Can't believe only six episodes are left. BB is making a strong case as the greatest show in the history of television.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

That they were able to maintain tension for the full episode was tremendous.

And I know the show is ultimately about Walt, but they are using Jesse sparingly so far. But discretion is the better part of yadda yadda yadda and I will trust Gilligan on this one.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote:Huel and the other henchmen
The Other Henchmen, aka "Kuby", is played by comedian Bill Burr.

And I agree...another fantastic episode.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Huel is Lavell Crawford. He was a finalist in Last Comic Standing (lost to Jon Reep--a redneck comic who has done a movie..Harold and Kumar Guantanamo)

Guessing they got the work with their relationship with Bob Odenkirk (comedy background)
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

wlu_lax6 wrote:Huel is Lavell Crawford. He was a finalist in Last Comic Standing (lost to Jon Reep--a redneck comic who has done a movie..Harold and Kumar Guantanamo)

Guessing they got the work with their relationship with Bob Odenkirk (comedy background)
Makes me think more and more than a spinoff series staring those three guys could really be funny.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A great episode - the scene where Skyler saw what could happen (the baby being taken away from here) - will be seared in my mind for years to come.

The final scene left me jumping off the couch: What will Jesse say to hank? What will hank offer Jesse?

And if Jesse turns on Hank, what then?

Oh man...
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

We know Walt gets "away" or at least isn't caught by the law because of the season opening scene so I don't think Jesse 'turns' on Walt. They've always stuck together when their backs are against the wall. This show being what it is, I think Jesse will tell Hank he won the money gambling.
The crazy chick and her Czech friends are still around and my theory is they are the ones who destroy the White household and force WW into hiding because he refuses to cook.

Whatever happens, this is appointment TV.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen