Internet drama (r/The_Donald, etc.)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Sabo
The Dude

Re: Internet drama (r/The_Donald, etc.)

Post by Sabo »

Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

His post to r/announcements: (why you 20x gold the Reddit CEO, I have no idea, btw)

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

This elicited a blurt laugh. Wasn't expecting to see that.

This thread went in directions I wasn't expecting, but I'll say this: I think we all learned something today.

And Sabo and Johnnie just shared the news, but Reddit did make changes today regarding filtering out T_D posts from the front page, and going after individual users for harassment/intimidation. So, that's a start. Going to wade into the tens of thousands of comments now.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Reddit banned r/altright today. I think it had been quarantined before. (Basically, that just means that it was harder to find/use. You couldn't lurk there unless you were registered.) This isn't too surprising, but what is surprising is that Reddit hasn't made an announcement about it; they just went ahead and did it without explanation. So now there are dozens of conversations popping up all over the site.

Also, Serena Williams is engaged to one of Reddit's co-founders. People who I have complicated (mostly negative) feelings for are joining forces. This does not bode well for me.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Word in various posts amongst other subreddits was that they were actively trying to doxx the guy that punched Richard Spencer in the face. Like, offering money to find out who it was so he could be targeted.

Also, look who's the guest on Joe Rogan's latest...(The episode number was no coincidence. They address it within the first minute or so.)

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Why in the everliving fuck is anyone giving that guy the time of day?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Because Joe Rogan sucks?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote:Because Joe Rogan sucks?
You know, I had Rogan pegged as a meathead bro for a long time. I listen to his End of the World Podcast, and it was great. I looked at his old episodes, and saw he had a lot of really interesting, intelligent guests, so went back and listened to a few. I've become a big fan. Rogan is super intelligent, and has intellectual curiosity on a wide range of topics. He is surprisingly empathetic, too.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote:
You know, I had Rogan pegged as a meathead bro for a long time. I listen to his End of the World Podcast, and it was great. I looked at his old episodes, and saw he had a lot of really interesting, intelligent guests, so went back and listened to a few. I've become a big fan. Rogan is super intelligent, and has intellectual curiosity on a wide range of topics. He is surprisingly empathetic, too.
So why in the everliving fuck is anyone giving that guy the time of day?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote:
The Sybian wrote:
Why is Rogan giving Jones the time of day? I'm curious to hear Jones interviewed. I am assuming (hoping?) Rogan doesn't buy into his shit. If he does, that frees me up for listening to books.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I guess it would be mildly curious to listen to a mentally deranged man for a few minutes. But I"ve been there and done that thanks to my time in Austin. Did Joe Rogan happen to ask him whatever happened to the FEMA camps they were going to set-up at the old Austin airport after Y2K?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

The Sybian wrote:
Giff wrote:
The Sybian wrote:
Why is Rogan giving Jones the time of day? I'm curious to hear Jones interviewed. I am assuming (hoping?) Rogan doesn't buy into his shit. If he does, that frees me up for listening to books.
I haven't listened to Rogan in a long time, but when I did he was fascinated by Alex Jones and how bat shit crazy he was. He didn't buy into his conspiracies, but Rogan loves a good conspiracy theory.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

There's been another Fappening. I try not to pay attention to this stuff, but it's hard not to. Privacy, cyber-stalking, cloud storage, slut-shaming, etc. It's all there.

This time, it invaded my world because it involved a few WWE wrestlers, specifically a female wrestler whose life has been a very bad soap opera for the past couple of years. She's currently injured and hasn't performed in a long time, and there was talk that she was trying to get out of her contract. This is just one more complication.

I was following the talk on-line as the story was developing a couple of days ago, and the conversation was very respectful, as it always is when it involves nude women on the Internet. But then a photo appeared that showed her championship belt, um, in a compromising position. That changed the conversation, because it's a symbol of the company and that photo can be very damaging.

Of course, this is all stolen material and should never have been made public anyway. So the WWE can't just fire her. (Even tho they've had plenty of reasons to before.) It's just a bad situation all the way around.

Oh, and one of the guys in the videos is very popular and will have a big role at Wrestlemania in a couple of weeks. Wrestling audiences are known to be a classy bunch, so I'm sure that everything will go smoothly for him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I saw the topic pop up when I was browsing Deadspin on Friday. It was only Emma Watson and Amanda Seyfried. I had no idea there were more until just now.

And this Diva you talk about, hoo boy. I just googled the responses and the wrestling world is in a tizzy.

Back to the topic of whether it's moral or not to look at the photos.

I wish this shit would happen to Trump's tax returns though. There's plenty of naked girls doing bad things on the internet already.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Johnnie wrote:And this Diva you talk about, hoo boy. I just googled the responses and the wrestling world is in a tizzy.
Yeah, this is why I love wrestling: the best stories are the ones that happen off-camera. (Well, this one was on-camera, but not on television. Whatever.)

If this were anybody else, it would be a big deal, but it wouldn't be like this. She comes from a wrestling family. Her parents run a promotion in England, and she's been wrestling since she was 12. She's very talented, charismatic, and has a great look, and she was a star in the WWE by the time she was 21. And then the drama started. (She's failed a couple of drug tests, among other stuff.) She's still only 24, younger than just about anybody else in the company. She could be great if she could get healthy and turn things around.

Oh, and Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson is currently producing a movie about her life.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Well, holy shit. I'm way outta the loop on this. I stopped watching wrestling long ago and didn't get back into it because I eschewed getting cable. I had no idea the layers and craziness this now is. I'll have to read up on her history.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

By the way, when the original Fappening occurred, wasn't there a subReddit devoted to it that stayed up for days? The Reddit administrators stepped in pretty quickly this time so that things wouldn't get too far out of hand. (There's a tiny subReddit devoted to ogling female wrestlers, and they were forced to remove all of the links/photos by yesterday afternoon.)

Even 4Chan seemed to be removing links. It's so weird to see 4Chan try to be a respectable company sometimes. It's not like the old days.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

bapo! wrote:There's been another Fappening. I try not to pay attention to this stuff, but it's hard not to. Privacy, cyber-stalking, cloud storage, slut-shaming, etc. It's all there.

This time, it invaded my world because it involved a few WWE wrestlers, specifically a female wrestler whose life has been a very bad soap opera for the past couple of years. She's currently injured and hasn't performed in a long time, and there was talk that she was trying to get out of her contract. This is just one more complication.

I was following the talk on-line as the story was developing a couple of days ago, and the conversation was very respectful, as it always is when it involves nude women on the Internet. But then a photo appeared that showed her championship belt, um, in a compromising position. That changed the conversation, because it's a symbol of the company and that photo can be very damaging.

Of course, this is all stolen material and should never have been made public anyway. So the WWE can't just fire her. (Even tho they've had plenty of reasons to before.) It's just a bad situation all the way around.

Oh, and one of the guys in the videos is very popular and will have a big role at Wrestlemania in a couple of weeks. Wrestling audiences are known to be a classy bunch, so I'm sure that everything will go smoothly for him.

I'm not sure why bapo is omitting the names involved since it's been out there for a couple of days ago. But the female wrestler is Paige, and reportedly one of the videos is her getting tag teamed (wrestling pun!) by Xavier Woods (of The New Day) tag team and former WWE wrestler Brad Maddox. Woods is a very well known gamer and has a YouTube channel called Up Up Down Down (no, seriously). And even funnier, he ends his shows with a catchphrase of "Keep it tight" (no, seriously). He's been mysteriously quiet on Twitter the last couple of days.

I'm going to watch Raw tonight solely for the crowd reactions. Then again, the WWE probably will leave Woods off TV with some BS reason to try to protect him since The New Day are the OFFICIAL hosts of Wrestlemania this year.

There's a pro wrestling "news" site I visit, and some of the comments there have been outstanding. I'll share a few.
Asuka looks down at her NXT women's championship and goes, "Hmm ... I should probably get this sterilized."
Knew the Ram-Paige should've been a tag team move.
It's a Nude Day, yes it is!
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Sabo wrote:I'm not sure why bapo is omitting the names involved since it's been out there for a couple of days ago.
Partly out of privacy, but mostly because I figured that nobody else here would know who I was talking about anyway.

Woods was at SXSW this weekend (where he made a quick joke about deleting his Twitter), so he didn't appear at house shows. Tonight's 'Raw' is in Brooklyn. Should be special.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I laughed.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

That's some fascinating data analysis. It would be really interesting to see more of that data.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

After Lil Bow Wow was caught in a lie, the #bowwowchallenge took off today.

He posted this:

Now he's getting roasted like this:

Pretty funny shit.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/stat ... 8494349313

I've been holding hands with women for close to 4 decades now... and let me just say that that is not how a man and a woman hold hands.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

People on Reddit exist to troll in circumstances like this. They're over the top and exceptionally bombastic. And when you screenshot The Donald subreddit, you're picking fruit that feel off the tree because it hung low enough to fall.

Also, it appears that she's switching her bag from one hand to the other and the snapshot is awkward.

Maybe I should become senior editor of Wired after I'm done with the military because Ashley Feinberg is severely underqualified for such a title.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Can this pleeeeeease play out like act III of the Phil & Brynn Hartman story?
Noli Timere Messorem
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Johnnie wrote:People on Reddit exist to troll in circumstances like this. They're over the top and exceptionally bombastic. And when you screenshot The Donald subreddit, you're picking fruit that feel off the tree because it hung low enough to fall.

Also, it appears that she's switching her bag from one hand to the other and the snapshot is awkward.

Maybe I should become senior editor of Wired after I'm done with the military because Ashley Feinberg is severely underqualified for such a title.
Unless those comments about Barron are 100% tongue-in-cheek, I'm lost here.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ryan wrote:
Johnnie wrote:People on Reddit exist to troll in circumstances like this. They're over the top and exceptionally bombastic. And when you screenshot The Donald subreddit, you're picking fruit that feel off the tree because it hung low enough to fall.

That's exactly what he's saying, dad.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I only go to Reddit for tips on how to play whatever new game my kids put on my phone, so I wasn't entirely sure. I'm still not, to be honest.

Also, I'm wearing cargo pants

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

rass wrote:
Ryan wrote:

That's exactly what he's saying, dad.
Yeah, I'm going to say that comments saying than an 11 year old is more "alpha" than you and favorably comparing him to Alex Jones have gotta be tongue-in-cheek.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

To be fair, I didn't take them all that way when I posted the initial tweet (sorry jlo) so the "dad" was in response to the tone of Johnnie's response and not really directed at ryan.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Joe K wrote:Yeah, I'm going to say that comments saying than an 11 year old is more "alpha" than you...
Definitely probably, but I'm still not convinced there aren't actual people (like, say, other 11-year-olds) who would for real think this
Joe K wrote:...and favorably comparing him to Alex Jones have gotta be tongue-in-cheek.
The internet does not seem like the place where all favorable opinions of Alex Jones are fake

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote:
Yeah, maybe.

But Trump.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Not sure why this isn't viral at the moment, but Malcolm Nance called out the editor-in-chief at Breitbart to his face on Overtime. This dude is a bad ass.

https://youtu.be/inJXUHC0llY
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

That clip is an escalation of pure discomfort.

Breitbart editor is clearly made uncomfortable when his attempt to compliment Izzard isn't met by "thanks", but "actually, you're doing a shitty job of being complimentary". Then, his reaction to Nance's "a bone to pick with you" is almost the visibly hard swallow of, "oh shit, what did we do?" His normal attempt at misdirection/spin is called out. Then, even the least confrontational panelist at the end has him looking away and trying to avoid allegations of what the Breitbart site is all about.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Spot on commentary.

I loved every minute of that exchange. Calling out a shitlord that runs a shitlord publication is necessary.

Malcolm Nance's resume is outstanding. And that dude thought he could hide behind 'whataboutism' as a defense. So awesome to see him called out.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote:Spot on commentary.

I loved every minute of that exchange. Calling out a shitlord that runs a shitlord publication is necessary.

Malcolm Nance's resume is outstanding. And that dude thought he could hide behind 'whataboutism' as a defense. So awesome to see him called out.
I've seen a lot of clips if Nance on various shows, and hearing a whiny pipsqueak accuse Nance of acting hysterical is the absolute worst moment of that clip. Nance is as intelligent and measured as anyone. He doesn't pull punches when he criticizes Trump, but he backs up everything he says with facts, specifics and a long career of experience and expertise.
-Pruitt