Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

BSF21
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote:
BSF21 wrote:
mister d wrote:I think if tagging up is going to upset you, rec league kickball isn't the right sport. Its not fixable because people are playing for fun, not to learn the intricacies of baseball force plays.
Intricacies of force plays don't upset me. 28 year olds with an inability to follow basic instructions do. Kickball is an excuse to get BSFGF out of the house and to a bar on Thursday evenings. But losing 20-0 is never a fun way to get to the end result.
Join a bowling league instead. Good combination of personal and team achievement and you can drink while playing as well.
Did that a few years back. Sandbaggers ruin most of those leagues but I agree about the personal part. I like to get outside during the summer.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

What if you just don't care about the kickball score?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:What if you just don't care about the kickball score?

This was how my rec league basketball team handled things.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A_B wrote:
mister d wrote:What if you just don't care about the kickball score?
This was how my rec league basketball team handled things.
I truly don't get caring about coed intramural results. I drew the line at sliding during softball; its just not worth ripping up my knees on some 3rd rate public field to get that extra base.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

brian wrote:
BSF21 wrote:
mister d wrote:I think if tagging up is going to upset you, rec league kickball isn't the right sport. Its not fixable because people are playing for fun, not to learn the intricacies of baseball force plays.
Intricacies of force plays don't upset me. 28 year olds with an inability to follow basic instructions do. Kickball is an excuse to get BSFGF out of the house and to a bar on Thursday evenings. But losing 20-0 is never a fun way to get to the end result.
Join a bowling league instead. Good combination of personal and team achievement and you can drink while playing as well.
Plus, every league has a guy who gets furious if he doesn't get a strike on every shot, and it's enjoyable to watch people freak out on the lanes.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Bowling alley is the only place I've ever been threatened with a gun. Non-league.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

If I showed up to an organized game of anything with adults and they weren't keeping score, I'd leave. Lordy, I'd leave.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

DSafetyGuy wrote:Brought on by my daughter playing softball, I cannot imagine trying to explain all the rules in baseball to a beginner.

Thought the same exact thing yesterday while driving to my rec softball game.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

It's not an intricacy. If you can't figure it out then you shouldn't be playing in an organized league that involves baseball rules.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

wlu_lax6 wrote:
BSF21 wrote:
wlu_lax6 wrote:
BSF21 wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:Brought on by my daughter playing softball, I cannot imagine trying to explain all the rules in baseball to a beginner.
We just finished a rec kickball league through our local social sports org. Sweet lord, trying to teach adults rules and/or strategy is impossible. We would get doubled up on 50% of fly balls. People having no idea where the out is even though you just shouted it 10 seconds beforehand. People missing a play and just standing around looking at each other while the opponent is circling the bases. I'll never do that again.
From my limited experience and a broad generalization....Kickball rec leagues are filled with adults who never played real sports. As a result the concept of knowing basic rules and best practices are lost. Prime example...my sister.
Some of the teams we played against would go against that logic, but I understand. It's just the listening thing. How hard is "stand there and watch the teammate at 3rd base and he will tell you when to run"? Or "if you don't know what to do, throw the ball to the pitcher"?
I was mostly just trolling Gunpowder as I believe he is a competitive kickballer.

It would have worked, too!
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Ryan wrote:If I showed up to an organized game of anything with adults and they weren't keeping score, I'd leave. Lordy, I'd leave.

Yeah - I get not caring about the results of say a coed softball game, but I do try to win and I wouldn't play if you just didn't keep score. I also don't slide, ever, and I hate every douche that shows up in baseball pants.

We got crushed in our championship game yesterday, and no big deal, whatever, who cares. But one idiot on my team who thinks he can hit lefty because he did once and got a lucky bloop to shallow right and acted like it was a screaming liner, did the same thing and just dribbled the ball for the catcher and annoyed the shit out of me. I think this can be mutually exclusive.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Gotta go hard. Never know when a scout might be watching.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Oh, I'll play hard. It's just that the result was irrelevant to our mood afterwards at the bar.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

P.D.X. wrote:Gotta go hard. Never know when a scout might be watching.

True. Why try in anything, I guess? I don't even think about my moves when I play chess, I'm just like ehhhh pawn here hahaahahaha
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If you're in a 4 woman league and teams only roster 4 and all 4 played in high school, maybe that's one thing, but when its a significant other / meet people league, being both skilled and a try-hard / care-er detracts from the fun of the league.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

To you, maybe. If I'm not going to "try", then why play in a league of any sort? I don't understand why me running for a fly ball affects the girl standing at 2nd base. I guess I'll just let them drop.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Catching a fly-ball isn't being a try-hard, that would be more like cutting into someone else's zone because you think they're going to drop it and you need that out or something. Its a fine line and probably "know-it-when-you-see-it" deals, but if someone who doesn't care might watch and say "Jesus fucking Christ" based only on the act, it would qualify. Also, walking or encouraging walking.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Gunpowder wrote:
P.D.X. wrote:Gotta go hard. Never know when a scout might be watching.

True. Why try in anything, I guess? I don't even think about my moves when I play chess, I'm just like ehhhh pawn here hahaahahaha
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Ryan wrote:If I showed up to an organized game of anything with adults and they weren't keeping score, I'd leave. Lordy, I'd leave.
Back when I was playing a bunch of Ultimate, I would tell my summer league teams (which were pretty casual, with a fair amount of total newbies) that a) we were there to have fun, and b) winning is more fun then losing.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

You have to drag the "let's have fun" crowd to the dark side. Play hard cause the winning is fun. Don't be a sourpuss if/when you lose but I can't conceive of any other way. Last coed softball I played we have to have a come to Jesus at the bar and we ended up with a really great team building moment when we won a playoff game in the bottom of an inning and turned a 2-6-3 dp in the semis. Definitely be that guy and nicely demand mental awareness and that fielders at least try to stay in front and backup bags.
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

The clown house has nothing on this one...

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/az/ ... _18337473/
If you love cats this is the home for you! If not bring your sandblaster!
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Way worse, yep.

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Do you think anyone ever considers switching it up and going with "prayers and thoughts" or even just "prayers"? Why isn't including "thoughts" decried as being "PC" the way "Happy Holidays" sometimes is?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Some people do just say prayers. You see it all over Facebook. They just type the word "prayers." Nothing else. It somehow comes off to the other humans as something meaningful and even righteous. Reason #8,346 why religion sucks.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

So my Ex-Wife last night hit me with a message saying I'm in arrears in Child support (I'm not) and that if I don't write her a check, she's not going to let me see my kids for Father's Day.

Good think I have a good lawyer....who's a good friend...
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DaveInSeattle wrote:So my Ex-Wife last night hit me with a message saying I'm in arrears in Child support (I'm not) and that if I don't write her a check, she's not going to let me see my kids for Father's Day.

Fuck her. I see this type of shit every day and it always sucks. Hope she leaves you alone (not this weekend without your kids).
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

How much longer until your kids are old enough to tell off your ex wife? The shit you've talked about her pulling on here over the years is horrible.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Good think I have a good lawyer....who's a good friend...
As much time as you've spent together over the years, sure he's a good friend.

Sorry you have to put up with this crap, best of luck.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

DaveInSeattle wrote:So my Ex-Wife last night hit me with a message saying I'm in arrears in Child support (I'm not) and that if I don't write her a check, she's not going to let me see my kids for Father's Day.

Oh for heavens sake. When will people realize that what they're really doing is not letting their KIDS see the FATHER. She's hurting the kids as much or more as she's hurting you. Grrrrr.

I hope things work out.

(My ex is in felony-level arrears and has an active warrant for his arrest for non-support. Know where my kids are today? On the way to spend the evening with their father.)
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Looking good on FB DiS. Hope that worked out without too much more bullshit.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

rass wrote:Looking good on FB DiS. Hope that worked out without too much more bullshit.
Well, besides the threat to have me arrested (for bring the girls home at 830 instead of 730) and my GF trying to talk to her on the phone which ended up with my GF saying "You're crazy" (twice) and hanging up on her, it went great!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Today is the "thanks for volunteering at the school library" lunch. Odds that I am the only male volunteer out of 25 classes?

(Pretty good scam by the school district to keep a second assistant librarian off the payroll just to check in, re-shelve, and check out books.)
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DSafetyGuy wrote:Today is the "thanks for volunteering at the school library" lunch. Odds that I am the only male volunteer out of 25 classes?

(Pretty good scam by the school district to keep a second assistant librarian off the payroll just to check in, re-shelve, and check out books.)
I used to be the only male volunteer at both my kids' schools. Half the mothers would look at me like I was a registered sex offender.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DSafetyGuy wrote:Today is the "thanks for volunteering at the school library" lunch. Odds that I am the only male volunteer out of 25 classes?

Since my wife started a new job with insane hours, I do all of the school volunteering. I'd say abou 1/3 of the parents attending events during the school day are fathers. Our PTO President is a father (retired police officer, so he got to retire relatively young).
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Chalk up another reason to not have kids. School volunteering? No thanks.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

It's literally on a volunteer basis. Right there in the name.

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

When my daughter was in elementary school, I was traveling a lot for my job and my wife was a stay-at-home mom. We live two blocks from the school. The schools don't have enough money to hire all the help they'd like, so they really lay their claws into available people like my wife. The two-worker families who couldn't volunteer probably never even realized that the school was calling people like my wife all the time to ask her to do this or do that. My wife was happy to do it, but it got a bit old.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Volunteering has been mandatory for me because of the military, so forgive me when my natural instinct when seeing the word is completely the opposite intention of it.

There's a "keeping up with the Joneses" environment thing where once someone does something others must follow our else you're an asshole.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Salad, fruit salad, and breadsticks. Maybe the other males (I got verbal confirmation that they exist) knew about the menu ahead of time.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

volun-told